Bringing food back to your cabin

cruiser415

I've never cruised before and I'm really curious.

I know you can order room service anytime, but I was wondering if you can bring food back to your cabin from anywhere on the ship. Sometimes, I like to steer clear from the masses and enjoy my food alone, in front of the tv, or now maybe out on the balcony.

Edited by cruiser415

I know you can order room service anytime, but I was wondering if you can bring food back to your cabin from anywhere on the ship.

you can bring as much as you like and store it in the fridge and have a midnight snack

Yes, for sure. The Main Dining Rooms will provide you with styrofoam containers. The other food serving areas like the pizza bar, grill, International Cafe and buffet don't really have trays that you can carry your food on. So, if you plan to get more than one plate of food and drink, bring along the tray that is on top of your fridge, and bring an extra pair of hands to open the door. Those late night snacks put the inches on quickly. As they always say, wear your tightest clothes on the first day.

I often see people carrying plates of food back to their cabins. Done all the time.

I always bring a bunch of ZipLoc bags with me on the cruise anyway and have used them for a variety of things: organizing stuff in the safe, putting my iPhone and/or camera in while on tour in case it rains or will get wet, keeping socks in the drawer organized, storing "just in case" toiletries and OTC medicines on the shelf under the sink, etc.

Edited by Pam in CA

My husband likes to get up early and have his coffee in the Piazza. He then brings me a cup and goes to Horizon Court where he eats his breakfast and then brings something back to the cabin for me. My idea of a perfect morning on vacation. Like it was mentioned, I always bring two sizes of ziplock bags. Also, if you order room service, keep the tray they bring your food on to use for the food you want to bring back to your cabin.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by sasha'smom

I tried to take a dessert out of the dining room once and was told I could not. Not sure why.

Yeah...the one time we asked if we could bring some Fettuccine Alfredo back to our cabin we were refused, but they had room service deliver it to us.

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

I have never seen styrofoam anything on a Princess ship. If you want something from the MDR to take away, they generally will send it for you. Occasionally I've had something simple like cookies wrapped in foil.

We often bring snacks for late afternoon or our breakfast in the morning down to the room. I use the oversize platter size plate and grab an extra which I put upside over my food to protect it while moving between places (errant sneezes etc.) Just feels more sanitary. DO NOT stack dishes in the hall. Leave them in your room with your "please make up my room" in the door or call room service to retreive your dirties. Putting them in the hall clutters the narrow passageways.

Yes, for sure. The Main Dining Rooms will provide you with styrofoam containers. The other food serving areas like the pizza bar, grill, International Cafe and buffet don't really have trays that you can carry your food on. So, if you plan to get more than one plate of food and drink, bring along the tray that is on top of your fridge, and bring an extra pair of hands to open the door. Those late night snacks put the inches on quickly. As they always say, wear your tightest clothes on the first day.

Do you think I can get an extra tray if I ask the steward?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I like the people with the bowl full of cookies who pass you in the hall with this guilty look on their face.........

Quite so. And after once someone commented, I got myself a collapsible, opaque plastic plate cover. Protects it, including from prying eyes.

Do you think I can get an extra tray if I ask the steward?
Your steward doesn't have trays. They would have to call room service for you which you can do yourself. As suggested, either use the tray on top of the mini-frig or if you've ordered room service, keep the tray. The buffet plates are large oval plates; you can get quite a lot on them without needing a tray.

Perhaps the reason that the MDR won't allow you to take food from there on plates is that they need to keep a tight inventory on their dishes? I would think that trying to round up a lot of dishes from cabins could be a real problem when they need them clean and ready to go for the meals in there.

I have only had them wrap things in foil and they have made a nice carrying handle for me by rolling the edges. It is time consuming to do this and at dinner every minute counts in getting just the meals served.

Your steward doesn't have trays. They would have to call room service for you which you can do yourself. As suggested, either use the tray on top of the mini-frig or if you've ordered room service, keep the tray. The buffet plates are large oval plates; you can get quite a lot on them without needing a tray.

Your steward will take the empties, or if they make you terribly unhappy, take them up to the Lido Deck yourself.

All of this is perfectly acceptable conduct and will not attract any comment from the crew.

My husband likes to get up early and have his coffee in the Piazza. He then brings me a cup and goes to Horizon Court where he eats his breakfast and then brings something back to the cabin for me. My idea of a perfect morning on vacation. Like it was mentioned' date=' I always bring two sizes of ziplock bags. Also, if you order room service, keep the tray they bring your food on to use for the food you want to bring back to your cabin.

Have a great cruise.[/quote']

My hubby does the same. He'll get his made-to-order omelet from the Horizon and then make up a tray (the one from the cabin, which he hides away afterwards for the next use) of breakfast for my daughter and me.

On one cruise, our cabin steward would leave a plate of cookie or a muffin covered with plastic wrap supposedly for the girl, but often someone else will get to it:o.

The only real prohibition of what to do with this food is taking it off the ship in a port -- many ports do not allow this.