Bringing food back to your cabin

cruiser415

We do it all the time. On some cruises we elect to skip the MDR. Then, we enjoy a late lunch in our cabin or on our balcony with items we pick up at the buffet.

We always do room service for breakfast. Sometimes we keep the room service tray and use it for our buffet run.

Actually the plates in the buffet are so large, it is easy to prepare a plate, use a second plate to use as a cover and stack the plates to carry back to the cabin. We order beverages from room service.

Don't forget to pick up utensils and napkins.

We find the Lido and MDR often very noisy... and prefer the peace and quiet of our cabin, where we can enjoy the sounds of the sea.

Your steward will take the empties, or if they make you terribly unhappy, take them up to the Lido Deck yourself.

All of this is perfectly acceptable conduct and will not attract any comment from the crew.

Sure. But they don't have stacks of room service trays to hand out to passengers upon request. If they have any, they'd be from eaten meals and be dirty. Edited by Pam in CA

Don't forget to pick up utensils and napkins.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

DH, bless his heart, brought me a container of yogurt one morning from the Lido buffet with the rolled up napkin thing. There was a fork and knife in the napkin ... no spoon. :eek:

It was challenging eating yogurt with a knife and fork. :D

LuLu

~~~~

I had the sandwich station make up some ham and cheese sandwiches the night before an excursion. Back at the room I transferred them to ziplock bags and then to the fridge. Packed them like a picnic before leaving the ship. Saved some money on our excursion.

Taking that off the ship in many countries (including the USA) can result in a big fine.

I've never cruised before and I'm really curious.

I know you can order room service anytime, but I was wondering if you can bring food back to your cabin from anywhere on the ship. Sometimes, I like to steer clear from the masses and enjoy my food alone, in front of the tv, or now maybe out on the balcony.

I go up to the Lido deck and get food at "tea" time. Foccia bread, cheese, ham or whatever is offered. DH and I sit out on the balcony and have wine and whatever is on the plate. The only time we bother with room sevice is coffee in the morning.

I had the sandwich station make up some ham and cheese sandwiches the night before an excursion. Back at the room I transferred them to ziplock bags and then to the fridge. Packed them like a picnic before leaving the ship. Saved some money on our excursion.
Seriously? Many countries have regulations and fines for bringing food off the ship. There's a reason why there is often a warning in the Patter not to do so.

As others have posted, you can bring anything from the Horizon Court, Trident Grill or Prego Pizzeria on Lido deck and the International Cafe back to your cabin.

Not so from the Dining Room. We ate in the Crown Grill one night that they had Nutella ice cream (one of my favorites) for dessert in the DR. I went there and asked for some to take back to our cabin. Head Waiter said they couldn't do that but he could have it delivered to our cabin. Two heaping dishes were delivered to our cabin in less than 15 minutes :)

My SO was going through an illness and had to miss lobster night in the MD. Our server asked where he was and I told him. I asked if I could take a plate to the cabin for him. The answer was no, but they delivered a full lobster dinner to the cabin within 10 minutes! It was to be the last cruise for him and I'm grateful that they did that.

Edited by Ethel5

These ships are big. Why bother fetching food from anywhere? I suggest room service. It's a cruise, that's what they do. ;)

I prefer to select my own food, I prefer to get it from the buffet as it is fresher and I don't want to have to tip all the time or be deemed a piker.

Just to add my experience, I haven't had problems taking food from anywhere except the MDR. One night our toddler's patience expired shortly before dessert and my husband left with her and gave me his dessert order. I was told I couldn't take a dessert back to the room for him, but like they've done for some others, they did send it up to our room.

Is there a cheese plate on the Room Service Menu? We have always loved to have a cheese plate with fruit for lunch. I have not cruised on Princess yet, but will in 2014. I hope we don't have to go the the buffet to get it....I am always the one who has to go...darn it:rolleyes:

Is there a cheese plate on the Room Service Menu? We have always loved to have a cheese plate with fruit for lunch. I have not cruised on Princess yet, but will in 2014. I hope we don't have to go the the buffet to get it....I am always the one who has to go...darn it:rolleyes:

Yes they do have - not sure if it was an item you have to pay for or not - we had a couple delivered for a CC gathering in cabins before.

I don't see a cheese plate....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401549

I often go to the Horizon Court and make an Hors d'oeuvre tray of cheeses, meats, etc to enjoy with a bottle of wine on our balcony before dinner. Never a problem and a great way to get exactly what you desire. And if somehting sweet ends up on the plate, so be it! :D

Does anyone have a photos of the room service menu and other menus from the Star? My partner and I would like to explore our options before we go on our first cruise. We're vegan/vegetarians so our options are limited. We can't wait to wine and dine on our balcony. And, I know we can get pizza delivered to the room, how about veggie burgers?

Edited by cruiser415

I've never cruised before and I'm really curious.

I know you can order room service anytime, but I was wondering if you can bring food back to your cabin from anywhere on the ship. Sometimes, I like to steer clear from the masses and enjoy my food alone, in front of the tv, or now maybe out on the balcony.

As you can see, no problem at all. It is especially great to bring food back to your cabin when you have a balcony.:) The room service menu is pretty limited so I think a lot of people bring food back from the different food venues.

I like the people with the bowl full of cookies who pass you in the hall with this guilty look on their face.........

Oh no! Perhaps we have cruised together......:D:D:D