question about shuttles

chpal

Do the free shuttles that the Marina offers (for drop-off at a central spot) continue to run THROUGHOUT the time that the ship is in port? i.e. If we want to return to the ship during the day, and then head back out, can we count on the shuttles being available? I'm inquiring primarily about Marseille, Valencia and Palma.

Thanks!

Do the free shuttles that the Marina offers (for drop-off at a central spot) continue to run THROUGHOUT the time that the ship is in port? i.e. If we want to return to the ship during the day, and then head back out, can we count on the shuttles being available? I'm inquiring primarily about Marseille, Valencia and Palma.

Thanks!

In a typical Port stop, yes the Shuttles do run right up until "All Aboard"; but if the ship should happen to have an extra long Port day, you'll want to ask the driver about the return schedule before getting off the outbound Shuttle.

In September in Marseille the frequency of the shuttle was so low that 2 hours after docking the waiting time was still 2 shuttles. We took a taxi with another couple.

I had been warned that the taxi driver wanted to take us via the motor way to the Vieux Port at overpriced rates. And indeed, he tried. I had to insist on a ride to Place Joliette which is a short walk from the Vieux Port and easily accessible via the regular roads.

Let the tourist agent on board explain to you where exactly the shuttle leaves the Vieux Port and then you're sorted for the return.

Thanks!

Usually the buses stop running for an hour or so in the middle of the day so you have to factor that into your plans. Each port has a different bus schedule, which you don't find out until that day.

It has been our experience that the shuttles stop running around 5 or 6 pm even if the ship is in port to a later hour. Many of these shuttles are operated by the port city and not Oceania so they control the hours.

Which is exactly what I said, they run until "the All Aboard", which is usually 1 hour before sailing. :o

Which is exactly what I said, they run until "the All Aboard", which is usually 1 hour before sailing. :o

Not exactly. Our ship sailed at 10 pm in two instances and the shuttles stopped at 6 pm. They were operated by the port not Oceania.

... you'll want to ask the driver about the return schedule before getting off the outbound Shuttle.

That is sound advice. Assumptions that the shuttle will be running into the evening just becasue the ship is still in port can be risky.

Also a tip to those who take a taxi to town but intend on shuttle back - before you leave the ship get a map of where the shuttle bus picks up. Seems just too obvious doesn't it? Well to me too until one day in Ibiza I was wanting to get back to the ship and out of the heat and realized I had no idea where the shuttle bus picked up.

I had planned on taking the shuttle to town but with the long slow moving lines we decided to share one of the (limited) taxis so had no location info.

As an aside, unless planning on staying in the port area that is a good port to opt for a taxi in any case - get them to take you to the top of the hill and you can make your way back down on your own at a nice pace and the bus back.

How long was the Port stay?

It was great. A full day from early in the morning 8am or 9 am to late 10 or 11 pm. Loved the idea we could spend an evening in town or take long jaunts to neighboring villages without the fear of "missing the ship". Another was an overnight in Sorrento.

It was great. A full day from early in the morning 8am or 9 am to late 10 or 11 pm. Loved the idea we could spend an evening in town or take long jaunts to neighboring villages without the fear of "missing the ship". Another was an overnight in Sorrento.

Yes, well whomever ultimately runs the Shuttle Services, we have to keep in mind that the drivers and dispatchers are shift-workers.

On Port stays of more than 8 hours, ALWAYS CONFIRM the return schedule before leaving the outbound shuttle!

Somewhere in this section is a thread which mentions which ports had shuttles - at least for that particular cruise (and ship and date) and at that particular docking location. Obviously not all ports are listed, as the thread depends upon people reporting back, but at least it will give you an idea of what might be available on your cruise. Keep in mind, however, that there are no guarantees that what one cruiser experienced will be the norm for each ship that stops in that port!

I just looked at it this morning, and saw that for Valencia, someone reported that the shuttle went near the train station. For Palma, it drops near the cathedral. It's quite a long thread, but you might be able to find your other ports in there. Just use the search feature to look for it. I doubt you'll be in Helsinki, but if so, be aware that the shuttle does not run for 2 hours around lunch time. I ended up taking a tram and walking quite a bit to go back to the ship mid-day!

Yep, map marked with shuttle location is a plus to have, even if you don't think you'll need it! Oceania almost always has copies of city maps, although you may have to mark the shuttle location on it! I always take a copy of the "Currents" daily paper (or get a second copy from the reception desk) to take if I'm going out on my own, in case I need the phone number of the port agent. If you hit a snag getting back, a call might just save you from missing the ship!

Edited by roothy123