Letter to Stamfordian

Flamin_June

Dear Stams both,

We now find ourselves in Saigon, a fascinating vibrant city, with its wide tree lined boulevards reminiscent of Paris (albeit Paris in tropical humid heat).

I thought I might try my hand at corresponding, a chance to review and reflect, put my thoughts to paper and at the same time perhaps inform you too.

We embarked in Hong Kong, after four days in the New Territories. I don't know if you have ever been to HK - we were charmed and came to the conclusion that one could easily spend a fortnight without running out of things to discover or do. The weather in the NTs was perfect, 24-26 C . Everything works, it is very safe, the MTR is fast efficient, clean, and easy to use, taxis are plentiful, people are helpful. I made the classic mistake of ordering something I had never heard of or seen before at dinner, in order to get that authentic Chinese culinary experience, which proved to be a gelatinous mass with something that appeared to be worms or possibly baby eels embedded within. No doubt delicious and wholesome, but we stuck to the western fare on offer in the club lounge after that.

The Legend is in good condition, though showing her age. Interesting to hear people who had been on the big girls, but never on the little sisters, expressing some disappointment - "the bathrooms are small" " don't like the shower curtains". But these are all misgivings about the fabric of the ship, which is really not being able to see the woods for the trees.

There is evidence of small nips and tucks here and there, a kind of slow death by a thousand cuts. So, for example, for the first time ever our stewardess did not suggest we take all the soaps, but stuck rigidly to the choice of two. On this sailing the staff numbers have been reduced by about 15%. I don't know if this just a one off or new policy. The crew all seemed a little tense and nervous at the start, and were clearly stretched to stay on top of passenger demands and expectations, but have adjusted well. They are a small team, but looking after each other, as well as us. It has not resulted in a significant drop of service, but it is not pleasant for me to witness staff under pressure, rushing and sweating to maintain levels of service (the ship is virtually full, by the way). For example, afternoon tea, with every table and chair occupied, was being waited on by just one girl for the first couple of days (they now have two); slow service in both restaurants, again largely because they are understaffed. Then there was the saga of our kettle.... After two nights we received a note in the evening telling us the kettle was a health and safety risk and would be removed the next day. An outrage - the first time anything of the sort has been raised after some 50 nights on SB with our kettle!!! We hid the kettle in the safe, where we keep it now between brews, nothing more has been mentioned, despite the many tea bags in our waste bins.

That apart, everything is as it should be, and the crew are doing everything they can to make sure we want for nothing.

The weather has been disappointing - choppy seas, overcast and quite cool, but warming up now we are in Saigon (the Park Hyatt here is superb, by the way). Halong Bay was enshrouded by heavy fog all day). Poured wines are very much improved (British readers will know what I mean when I say they are in the £6.99 to £8.99 range, rather than the bargain bin £4.99 offerings evident on the past. We had a Penfold's Koonuga Hill as the poured red the other night. Not my favourite, but a decent enough example of the Aussie style.

The food is of the usual standard, the soups, salads and vegetarian offerings the best we have ever had. The rest of the menu is a tad lacking in imagination, but crafted and presented to the usual high specification, and the steaks continue to be the best ever - well, they were until I tasted the wagyu (sp?)beef at the Hyatt. Plentiful caviar.

Highlights so far for us: sailing into Halong Bay at dawn, despite the deep mists; the Budhist temple at Da Nang and China Beach; cruising up the river to Saigon in the early morning and a charming greeting at the port; shopping in Saigon (Angie now has a silk Aoi Dai); Vietnamese food at the Park Hyatt; the museums, art galleries, countryside and charming people of Hong Kong.

Downsides: fellow passengers on the whole a dull lot - nowhere near the wit, charm, graciousness and conviviality of our TA bunch last year.

I will try to add more from Bangkok (wi-if on board dreadfully slow), and answer any questions.

Affectionally Yours

FJ

Well, I'm not Stamfordian or Mrs Stamfordian, but thanks for making your letter public. We'll be doing a similar itinerary with Seabourn in March 2014.

It sounds as if we need to prepare for a couple of early morning starts for Halong Bay and Saigon.

For Da Nang, did you arrange your own excursion?

Are you going to Ko Kood too?

Looking forward to hear from you again in Bangkok.

"We have taken to locking the kettle in our safe in between cups of tea."

This dear reader is how we, a tiny Nation surrounded by sea established The Empire spanning some 20% of the world's population.

Adapt, overcome and conquer.

I wish you Godspeed and prey they don't uncover your cunning ruse.

Able Seaman H.

Ahhh - the Park Hyatt Saigon. One of my favorite cozy hotels. Their pastries at breakfast are, to me, second only to those I can find in Paris. I always have to walk my breakfast off every day as I can't stop sampling them all.

I am one of those who has never sailed on a little sister (although I want to try before they leave the family) but your itinerary was one that looked delightful with all my favorite spots... jealous!!!

I can appreciate your affection for your TK. I must say that you should abide by their request. This type of plug in could be a fire hazard.....the bain of he sea faring. When asked not to bring my iron on board.......I hated that but understood and complied. You have to consider that if everyone brought their questionable appliances aboard.....danger would abound. Continue to enjoy your wonderful trip. L. ;)

Thanks for sharing your letter to Ian and his good lady.

Sorry to hear - for their sake as much as the passengers - that the staff head count is down quite a bit. Do you know why? Is this going to be continuing, or maybe just a current glitch.

The best (and only really good) thing about Fred Olsen was that in the superior cabins they gave you a kettle and all the tea and coffee making goodies. So much nicer to make your own exactly when you want it, and with BOILING water for a change.

Glad you are having a good time on the Legend.

I have t agree with other posters that a tea kettle in the suite could be a hazard. There's a reason they, along with irons, are not allowed, and that is fire safety which takes precedence over a cup of tea. Hardly something to be outraged about if you have to give it up. jmo.

La Paloma and wripro. Why exactly do you believe an electric travel kettle, which at an average of 800-1000 watts on a 220/240v circuit pulls about half the current of the Seabourn supplied hairdryer is inherently more of a fire-risk? An iron - mishandled - I can understand. Put it down on a flammable surface and it could lead to a fire which could be hugely dangerous on a ship (as can unguarded smoking material in inside spaces). But a kettle???

La Paloma and wripro. Why exactly do you believe an electric travel kettle, which at an average of 800-1000 watts on a 220/240v circuit pulls about half the current of the Seabourn supplied hairdryer is inherently more of a fire-risk? An iron - mishandled - I can understand. Put it down on a flammable surface and it could lead to a fire which could be hugely dangerous on a ship (as can unguarded smoking material in inside spaces). But a kettle???

The problem with a kettle is that it can be left connected to the power socket and can run dry and cause a fire. There is a similar risk with an iron, it can be left on and that fact is not immediately obvious.

Fires, whether ashore or aboard rarely happen instantly and are often a combination of events. The iron is left plugged in, the ship takes a heavy roll and the iron ends up on the carpet or against a curtain. A couple of hours later ... you have a fire.

A hairdryer left running is fairly obvious to the occupants of the suite or staff and therefore is less of a risk.

As long as the kettle is put in the safe after each use, then the ships' staff know the risk has been reduced.

The problem with a kettle is that it can be left connected to the power socket and can run dry and cause a fire. There is a similar risk with an iron, it can be left on and that fact is not immediately obvious.

Fires, whether ashore or aboard rarely happen instantly and are often a combination of events. The iron is left plugged in, the ship takes a heavy roll and the iron ends up on the carpet or against a curtain. A couple of hours later ... you have a fire.

A hairdryer left running is fairly obvious to the occupants of the suite or staff and therefore is less of a risk.

As long as the kettle is put in the safe after each use, then the ships' staff know the risk has been reduced.

Many of these coil-heated appliances are dangerous even when off, but left plugged in. A close friend's house burned down in the 90s. The investigation showed the source was the toaster, which was off, but plugged-in. We've unplugged similar appliances ever since.

3 March from HKG

We depart from HKG on the 14th.

That's a pity we'll be several days behind you, I have this romantic notion that I'd really like to be in port when there's another Seabourn ship in at the same time.

Will you be doing any reports whilst you're onboard?

Many of these coil-heated appliances are dangerous even when off, but left plugged in. A close friend's house burned down in the 90s. The investigation showed the source was the toaster, which was off, but plugged-in. We've unplugged similar appliances ever since.

As have we - even the microwave oven. Anything that doesn't absolutely have to be plugged-in, we unplug immediately after use.

This is especially important if you live in an area that is prone to power surges or regular lightning activity. Went around a house that got hit by lightning a couple of years ago. Absolutely incredible; many of the power sockets were simply blown out of the wall and there were a number of small fires throughout the house. Anything that was plugged-in, was fried.

Edited by conchyjoe

Enough with the kettle already.

My main gripe about this is that there is a kettle supplied in the owners suite (and a nespresso machine). How is that not a health and safety risk while a kettle in a commoners suite is? Other things are plugged in including a tv a Bose CD player, a DVD player, hair dryer, people bring plug boards and charge up all manner of appliances. As Conchyjoe notes, we now unplug after every use, so it is probably safer than all the other appliances.

Now in Bangkok, 27th floor of the Peninsula, will write again later in the day with all the news, ups and downs.

Captain: Andrew Pedder

Maître d': Eddie Mixck

Hotman: Nick forgotten surname

Bar Manager Bogdan

Sky bar Barman Sandro (a star).

Johnnycruise - stewardess was new, but now has settled in and begun to Be our ally, rather than a SB representative.

Ko Kood beach barbecue cancelled because of choppy water. This is the third beach barbecue in a row that we have had cancelled (grrrrr).

Ko Kood beach barbecue cancelled because of choppy water. This is the third beach barbecue in a row that we have had cancelled (grrrrr).".................................How unfortunate. We did this itinerary in reverse, Singapore to HK in 2010 on the Pride and the Ko Kood beach day was fabulous. Your posts are bringing back great memories. Thank you.

Anything a shipping line can do to minimize fire risk is important.

Henry,

Fire risk, like security should be sensibly balanced with passenger rights/comfort. No one should want any business to maximize fire risk without considering balance. If they did, we'd be eating only frozen (by ice) food.

My son's college prohibits personal microwaves. However, you can rent one of their that are on the open market. I suspect part of the reason is that, like the OS kettle, they can verify it's safety, limiting fire risk impact. A business and it's insurance carriers will surely tell you that safety risk goes up when they allow like items where they cannot verify the safety of the design, or construction.

So, while I agree that some items, not necessarily kettles, should be scrutinized, the philosophy that "Anything a shipping line can do to minimize fire risk is important" is not balanced and may be counter productive.

Tim

Edited by zich6

Merry Christmas from Kuching, Borneo. We were gently prised off Legend on the morning of the 23rd in the rain and sent on our way to Changi Airport under cloudy skies.

I had spent an hour and a half in Bangkok composing an insightful, witty, amusing and detailed account of our time on the dear old girl, but when I hit the post button Found I had been logged out. Tried logging back in and lost the whole post. Will have to try to cover events in shorter bursts.

Kuching, by the way, is amazing - a lovely place, and well worth visiting before it is 'discovered' and spoilt. It is the beginning of the monsoon season and we are spending a warm, humid and rainy Christmas Day doing nothing very much - a sea day, by any other name. Last night we strolled along the Sarawak River waterfront, past the street-food stalls and the various musicians, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and native tribespeople, all in peaceful harmony in the languid nighttime heat. but I digress.

More about the Legend and the voyage after we phone the kids back home.

Edited by Flamin_June