Pizza change

fishycomics

jazzbeau, there is plenty of square pizza in New York - they call it grandma-style. And New York is the only place I've heard that "it's the water" is touted.

I also don't think square pizza is that popular in Chicago, is it? Their deep dish is round, and their thin crust (which is awful, like a cracker) also comes round BUT they cut it into squares (yes, a round pizza cut into little squares, so you get these odd little edge pieces of nothing but crust).

I've lived in both New Jersey and Chicago, and I much, much prefer the traditional, thin crust, foldable, so-thin-you-can-almost-see-through-it New York.

I haven't been on Princess in years (since we found Celebrity), but way back when they used to charge for their pizza (hey, the first specialty restaurants?). Is pizza free on Princess these days?

It's a frozen premade pizza. Saw them taking the frozen pizzas out if the wrappers. Looked like something you can buy at costco.

Costco/price club= pricy?

JAZZBeue....

so tell us where you live(NY) and the borough, and maybe we can comment on some of the Pizza foods by you, love to hear.

Edited by fishycomics

jazzbeau, there is plenty of square pizza in New York - they call it grandma-style. And New York is the only place I've heard that "it's the water" is touted.

I also don't think square pizza is that popular in Chicago, is it? Their deep dish is round, and their thin crust (which is awful, like a cracker) also comes round BUT they cut it into squares (yes, a round pizza cut into little squares, so you get these odd little edge pieces of nothing but crust).

I've lived in both New Jersey and Chicago, and I much, much prefer the traditional, thin crust, foldable, so-thin-you-can-almost-see-through-it New York.

I haven't been on Princess in years (since we found Celebrity), but way back when they used to charge for their pizza (hey, the first specialty restaurants?). Is pizza free on Princess these days?

Princess Pizza is free on pool deck (thin crust to die for pizza) and thicker crust made to order in the piazza sit down dinning also free.

Princess Pizza is free on pool deck (thin crust to die for pizza) and thicker crust made to order in the piazza sit down dinning also free.

We have been cruising on Princess for over 25 years and do not recall ever paying for their delicious pizza. As to folks that wonder about Princess Pizza, the major difference is that they still make their pizza dough right at the pizza place (just like decent pizza places on land) and use the best pizza ovens. Most other cruise lines (including Celebrity) use premade pizza dough. We cruise many different lines (14 to date) and each line has their pros and cons. While Celebrity has the best cheesecake at sea, Princess has the best pizza :)

Hank

I just came back from the TA on the Constellation. New pizza, terrible. I tried one piece one time and only took one bit.

What are they thinking, this is an upscale cruise line in my opinion. Did they hire someone for Little Caesars????

BAD DECISION Celebrity.

Go back to the old pizza.

I guess you could look at it this way, Celebrity is now saving money because they dont have to make so much pizza.

Again, BAD DECISION.

Nomra

?

I have generally heard the square pizza referred to as Sicilian. Chicago is definitely known for deep dish pizza (DDP), but if you avoid the chains there is some phenomenal thin crust if that is more your style. Balena, Nellcote, Coalfire, and Piece are the best I have consumed. For DDP Pequod's, Lou Malnati's or the original Uno or Due (the chains use a totally different recipe that is far inferior) are the best bets. If you want to splurge Balena has a $99 pizza currently that rains freshly shaved Alba white truffles, has Perigord black truffles in the sauce and is also topped with Iberico ham. Now if only Celebrity would offer this instead of their frozen pizza doughs and processed cheese and toppings!

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/restaurants-bars/16508746/what-does-a-99-pizza-taste-like

I have generally heard the square pizza referred to as Sicilian. Chicago is definitely known for deep dish pizza (DDP), but if you avoid the chains there is some phenomenal thin crust if that is more your style. Balena, Nellcote, Coalfire, and Piece are the best I have consumed. For DDP Pequod's, Lou Malnati's or the original Uno or Due (the chains use a totally different recipe that is far inferior) are the best bets. If you want to splurge Balena has a $99 pizza currently that rains freshly shaved Alba white truffles, has Perigord black truffles in the sauce and is also topped with Iberico ham. Now if only Celebrity would offer this instead of their frozen pizza doughs and processed cheese and toppings!

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/restaurants-bars/16508746/what-does-a-99-pizza-taste-like

Ginos is pretty good DDP too! :)

Just off the Constellation and thaay had this new Pizza. They were cutting each into 5 pieces a couple of inches wide. They are making them right there so when they get a lineup and there are only a couple in the ovens, all stops while he makes up some more. One Pepperoni came out of the oven and the guy at the front of the line took the whole thing so wait some more! Oh well, nowhere to go anyway! I enjoyed it but agree, Princess has the best Pizza i have had a sea but that is only comparing Celebrity & Princess.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector
Typo

In my 20+ years cruising Celebrity my opinion is that the pizza really varies from ship to ship. Some great, some good, and some only when you just gotta gotta have it.:)

I cannot recall any great pizza on Celebrity. But then again, those that like Celebrity's frozen crusts probably like the pizzas in the frozen food department.

Yes, we would agree as well! Princess does offer excellent pizza! Wake up Celebrity . . . :rolleyes:

According to our daughter, the good stuff was hit or miss on Sapphire in October. It has been 10 years since we sailed on Princess when a piece of gravel in the corn soup split my tooth top to bottom. She also said the food was not as good on Sapphire compared to a Carnival cruise in February. However she will not go back to either because our RCI offerings were better.

Tastebuds are very subjective but we don't cruise to eat what can easily be obtained at home. Everyone has their favourite Pizza joint; that's why there are so many different ones.

We sampled the new pizza on Constellation only when hunger really struck and it was oven hot. Not as good as when we had it made to order but ok for a snack.

I've read about the pizza on the Reflection too. I heard it isn't as good, more like cardboard. On the Refection last January the round pizza was really good. Going on the Reflection in 2 weeks and disappointed about the pizza. I'm sure it's cheaper. Seems cruise lines are more nickeling and dimeing. I hate it. Cruising is going the way of the flying, use to be special, now more like a Grayhound bus

I've read about the pizza on the Reflection too. I heard it isn't as good, more like cardboard. On the Refection last January the round pizza was really good. Going on the Reflection in 2 weeks and disappointed about the pizza. I'm sure it's cheaper. Seems cruise lines are more nickeling and dimeing. I hate it. Cruising is going the way of the flying, use to be special, now more like a Grayhound bus

You have the best chance in the world to do what I did, Ask that question, and get it on video. Present it right back here?

CArnival (owned by princess) also had great pizzas! they were fabulous.

Just want to correct the record. Carnival is not owned by Princess. In fact, Carnival Cruise Corporation (CCL on the stock ticker) owns both Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines as well as a few other cruise lines like Seabourn, Costa, Holland America P&O, Cunard, etc.

That being said, Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines have entirely separate management teams and each line is run in a pretty independent manner which is the general norm for companies owned by CCL. Within the CCL umbrella there are some exceptions such as the arrangement that essentially has Princess Cruises operating Cunard.

The Pizza thing on Princess goes way back before it was acquired by CCL (2002) and was an outgrowth of Princess's acquisition of Sitmar Lines back in 1988. At that time Princess simply continued the Sitmar tradition of having great handmade pizza. Having cruised several other CCL owned cruise lines we can attest that Princess quality pizza has not spread to the other lines :(

Hank

I think that one of the prerequisites to critiquing pizza is to know where the critic lives. It makes a world of difference when deciding whether or not the review is credible!:D

In the Heart of Pizza land...where the water makes the difference! :D

I thought you guys were from the US. I guess you both live in Italy. The worst pizza I've eaten in Italy was better than the best pizza I've eaten in NYC. And they don't talk about the water. It is the tomatoes and the cheese. The simpler the better.:p

I thought you guys were from the US. I guess you both live in Italy. The worst pizza I've eaten in Italy was better than the best pizza I've eaten in NYC. And they don't talk about the water. It is the tomatoes and the cheese. The simpler the better.:p

I mention water for a special reason. Bagel. the water makes that special....

Base, garlic and olive oil, if the pizza does not drip, it ain't a good pizza!

Edited by fishycomics