American Airlines just changed my flight time off Jewel - advice needed

welshrich

Recent Jewel cruises have reported that early disembarkation is only available for US passengers only for some reason. So you wont take any risks, I would call AA and ask them to change it to a later flight, since you cannot make it to the one thye gave you. They should be able to give you another.

Hi, I've just had an email from AA saying my flight out of SJU on the day we get off Jewel is now 1005am, it was 1055am, can anyone advise if this is still dooable?

Thanks

It may be, but it will be tight, especially in SJU. Our flights for our trip to San Juan in May were also changed by AA by quite a few hours (3 hours earlier). However, our return flights have not been affected - yet. We are taking the 1:25 flight home to PHX which is truly a better time for San Juan airport. If the airlines would be willing to change you to a later flight since they made the change I would try that. Otherwise, you will need to do the self disembarkment and pray for no snags along the way. Be sure you go to the Agriculteral Inspection line first, before you get into the TSA security line, or you will lose a lot of time.

Recent Jewel cruises have reported that early disembarkation is only available for US passengers only for some reason. So you wont take any risks, I would call AA and ask them to change it to a later flight, since you cannot make it to the one thye gave you. They should be able to give you another.

I'm sorry. I didn't notice you were from the UK. In that case the above poster is right. You need to try to get a later flight. Even the original flight you had would be way too tight for my comfort level. Other airports like FLL maybe, but not SJU.

Be sure you go to the Agriculteral Inspection line first, before you get into the TSA security line, or you will lose a lot of time.

Yes very important. I think everytime we've flown out of SJU we've had someone in front of us at check in be sent back for the USDA inspection. Then they have to come back to check in and get in line all over again:( The USDA a checkpoint is near the entrance to the airport, there's usually no line to speak of, just run your bags through and get a sticker on each and be on your way. But is isn't really marked well or anything, would be easy for people to not notice it and bypass that procedure.

Definitely. They should allow you to change flights with no fees since they changed flight times.

They should also let you cancel the flight with a refund in case you find another carrier with a better time. I recently cancelled my AA flight with a full refund and booked on another carrier when AA changed my flight.

Hi, I've just had an email from AA saying my flight out of SJU on the day we get off Jewel is now 1005am, it was 1055am, can anyone advise if this is still dooable?

Thanks

AA for me is doing this too often. They changed our flight home from SJ to 8:05 am, definitely not dooable and we were not even sitting together, so I called and they changed my flight time to 10:55 am with an extra stop in Miami, then Dallas, then Tucson. I think I am going to try a different airline for our next cruise. They also did the same thing on our last cruise. I have cruised out of SJ only once and we did not have any issues. Got off the ship in the first group, luggage was there waiting for us, then we went up to the customs desk and got right thru, no line, maybe lucky. Taxi to the airport no problem, thru the agriculture, no line - then checked in for the flight. We were all done by about 9:00 am - went for breakfast. I guess it depends on the day. For your comfort maybe a little later flight just to make sure. See you on board.

I think 11 is pushing it...this may be the best thing for you since you really do need to leave later than 10. Try getting a flight that leaves after 12. That gives you a little margin to have something go wrong and still make your flight. Just my two pence. Enjoy your cruise.

AA for me is doing this too often. They changed our flight home from SJ to 8:05 am, definitely not dooable and we were not even sitting together, so I called and they changed my flight time to 10:55 am with an extra stop in Miami, then Dallas, then Tucson. I think I am going to try a different airline for our next cruise. They also did the same thing on our last cruise. I have cruised out of SJ only once and we did not have any issues. Got off the ship in the first group, luggage was there waiting for us, then we went up to the customs desk and got right thru, no line, maybe lucky. Taxi to the airport no problem, thru the agriculture, no line - then checked in for the flight. We were all done by about 9:00 am - went for breakfast. I guess it depends on the day. For your comfort maybe a little later flight just to make sure. See you on board.

It's not just AA. I can't remember the last time a booked a United round trip ticket and didn't have at least a couple changes. Annoying for sure but at least they allow you to change or cancel (with a refund) at no charge.

It's not just AA. I can't remember the last time a booked a United round trip ticket and didn't have at least a couple changes. Annoying for sure but at least they allow you to change or cancel (with a refund) at no charge.

I agree it's all airlines. 6-8 months ago we booked flights to Florida (right after Christmas) and SJU (March 2014). Flight changes are so common, I'm amazed there haven't been any for either trip yet.

Thanks

They did the same to me for my April cruise, changed me from 11.00 to 09.55

Was really worried id miss the flight to JFK and then miss the connector to Heathrow

Phoned them and nothing else was available back to jfk, so they rerouted me.

Am now leaving SJU at 4pm flying to Miami then Miami to Heathrow

Will stop me worrying all cruise that im gonna miss my flight

Ps this was all done free of charge !!!!

Not necessarily.

Most airlines will change flights without charge only if there is a change of greater than one hour.

This might require speaking to a supervisor. Unfortunately, there is a reason AA is in bankrupcy.

The last time I flew out of San Juan, I was sitting at our departure gate by 9 am. We did self-debark the minute we were allowed to leave the ship, made a quick trip through customs, grabbed a quick cab, went straight through the AG inspections, and then through customs. I even had time to check my bags and get a boarding pass.

The key is to be first in line and not dawdle at all, because the security line grows very quickly as the morning progresses.

I would not personally book a flight that early, but it is doable if everything goes in your favor and there are no delays in departure from the ship or check-in at the airport.

I think anything from 11am or later would leave a safe cushion. You could always try to make your flight, but it would probably be safest if you could get a later flight. If one isn't available, then it might be worth the risk.

About the only port where I would risk a flight before 11am is Boston. Considering that the ships sail around the south end of Logan Airport to dock at the cruise terminal, a cab or bus ride on a Sunday morning is less than 20 minutes.

Last year, I had booked an AA flight at noon. Then, AA discontinued the flight. I was rebooked onto the 2:25 departure, but I got AA to change that to a 10:15 departure.

With early disembarkation, we were at the gate at 9:05.

I think 11 is pushing it...this may be the best thing for you since you really do need to leave later than 10. Try getting a flight that leaves after 12. That gives you a little margin to have something go wrong and still make your flight. Just my two pence. Enjoy your cruise.

On our cruise last week, there was an item in the Cruise Compass almost daily with the heading, "worried about missing your early flight?" Their idea of "early" was before 11am. We stayed an extra night in San Juan, so weren't worried at all.:) They were well-prepared to accommodate people with early flights by giving them "first off" tags. We had just gotten out of bed around 7am when they called luggage tags 1-10 to disembark, which means that self-assist (which was limited to US and Canadian citizens, as I recall) had already been completed.

So bottom line, I think that the 10:05 is doable, but I wouldn't, because I wouldn't want to stress over it.

Don't risk missing a flight. Call AA and request later flight. No charge should be impacted since they changed the original flight time. I had an issue on United, with a family group I set up, that actually had the arrival times changed 5 times!!!! It was a battle!!!! Stay on top of it. Our last change was the day prior!!!! So remember to check right up until your flight.

Not necessarily.

Most airlines will change flights without charge only if there is a change of greater than one hour.

This might require speaking to a supervisor. Unfortunately, there is a reason AA is in bankrupcy.

Maybe this is for nonstop flights only? On my Med cruise last fall UA changed my connecting flight (on the return from Barcelona) in Newark 45 minutes earlier. It was still a legal albeit short connect time and I was able to change to a later connecting flight with no fee.

Edited by voyager70

We got word from AA they changed our flight out of SJU as well. But ours went from an 11:55 departure to 8:50! I called them and told them that was not going to work. They offered to put us on a 10:55 flight that stopped in Miami, then DFW, then finally got us home at midnight. That really didn't sound like a fun day either.

So asked them about putting me on the 8:50 flight the next day -- Sunday. They were extremely gracious about it and not only rebooked us for the next day, but also upgraded us to FC/BC as well! I consider it a win for us. Although we'll be getting home a day later than planned, we can at least finally make that visit to the rainforest like we've wanted!

Good luck to you.

Ann

I agree with you. This also happened to me a couple of times, and why I will never fly American again.

Sailing Friday! Yahhhh

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

On our last departure from San Juan., which I admit was not typical, we had a 3:00 flight and barely made it. Nobody got off the boat prior to noon. Royal typically suggests noon. That does build a little safety into the departure.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk