La Reserve Menus

sabrefan

Does Oceania change the menus significantly from what is found on the web site? Also wondering if anyone who has had dinner there on either Marina or Riviera thought that the fee of $95 / per person was worth it?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

...and worth it on a variety of levels: the special wines, the service, the venue, and food and presentation I have not experienced on any of our other 3 Riviera cruises and one Marina cruise.

I cannot address the frequency with which the menu changes, but I believe I did see some changes that probably need to be made due to region of the world that the ship is sailing and/or desire to take advantage of local or seasonal ingredients.

I am a bit disappointed that our next sailing is on Nautica so we will not be able to experience La Reserve---my first R ship and the R ships do not have La Reserve.

I'm sure I will not be the only one posting a response on this.

Enjoy!:p

It does not appear that the Le Reserve menus change. They'd are the same on our current South American cruise as our cruise last year on the Med. There are three different menus, you reserve for the day with the menu you want. The three pre-scheduled days were inconvenient (Christmas Day and on two long port days), but when asked, the concierge was able to book a day with the menu of our choice when one of our CC members put together a group of 10. The food and wines were excellent and well worth the cost. A good way to use up OBC, if you have a lot.

Worth every penny and then some, really. The food is done just right, the wines are great and the service is the best. If you can't eat something that's being serviced-just let them know and you'll get something else for that course.

Well worth the time, a great evening.

Rick

On my next cruise I was only allowed to book once as they offered over the 33 day cruise 8 seating's 4 for connoisseur @ 165+ And 4 for Discovery @$95 as the seating is only for 24 max

Its a steal for what you get a similar meal in a Michelin quality restaurant would set you back $400 to $500 for 2....or more

How often is La Reserve typically offered during a 14-day cruise? For our upcoming sailing on Riviera, each menu is available to pre-book only once during the first 3 nights of the cruise. No other dates are offered on-line. We'd like to try a couple of the menus but don't want to do them on consecutive nights. Are additional dates usually offered during the remainder of the cruise?

How often is La Reserve typically offered during a 14-day cruise? For our upcoming sailing on Riviera, each menu is available to pre-book only once during the first 3 nights of the cruise. No other dates are offered on-line. We'd like to try a couple of the menus but don't want to do them on consecutive nights. Are additional dates usually offered during the remainder of the cruise?

Well based on my 33 day cruise they are only going to, on a short 14 day offer it 3 times max.I think that's your total choice. There will not be others.

Too, based on my most recent experience you will get only 1 reservation and not be allowed to have several reservations...at least I was not allowed to....and that was for a 33 day.

I am pretty sure will have to pick the 1 you want and not have the ability to book more. They will also go pretty fast as only 72 seats are for 1250 passengers

... Also wondering if anyone who has had dinner there on either Marina or Riviera thought that the fee of $95 / per person was worth it?

Absolutely worth it. Up there was meals in great restaurants on land. We did the Exploration menu and it was divine.

Each menu was offered only once on our 14-day crossing, none were added. Perhaps they want to do them at the beginning of the cruise so they will have fresh ingredients? Otherwise it's funny they would bunch them up. I agree I would not want to do this two nights in a row!

SWMbI and I did La Reserve on our second night aboard Riviera for our recent TA. It was an absolutely stupendous experience. As stated above, everything from the meal to our serving staff were all world. We also did the discovery menu and with my wife being gluten intolerant, they were fully prepared, had done several dishes (slightly altered to omit wheat) in advance and so she was able to enjoy virtually all the same dishes as the rest of the diners.

A special note, we were incredibly fortunate to meet three other couples at our table with whom we bonded and socialized and dined together through the rest of the voyage. And the fact that the La Reserve staff had to literally sweep the eight of us out with the trash said great things about the conviviality of the staff, their cheerful tolerance, the great company and the stunning surroundings.

Bravo to the culinary staff of Riviera! You gave us an unparalleled start to a memorable voyage. Will do it again at any price.

JMBobB

Edited by JMBobB

Since every response has been overwhelming positive, I hate to jump in but oh well....there is another side.

We did the Discovery Menu on Riviera this month. The first 3 courses were spectacular - the last three were disappointing. Tough meat and a dessert that was mostly crisp filo dough that we had to push aside to find the filling.

The wine pairings are okay, but if you know much about wine, you'll realize that these are not the best wines available and having Silver Trident Cab is a non-starter. Just because the winery is owned by Oceania's owner doesn't make it great!

It is true that $95 is a relative bargain as you are getting lovely personal service and wine pairings. A decent bottle of wine in any of the restaurants will run you that much. So, yes - it's a bargain. But no - it's not fabulous.

DH asked me how many times I wanted to do La Reserve on our upcoming 32 day Grand Voyage and my response was "none". As we had mentioned some of these things in the mid-cruise comment card, we did get a call from the F&B Director asking for more detail which we graciously provided.

Bottom line: La Reserve is not for everyone but it's nice that so many do enjoy it.

Edited by newbie60
misspelled word

Since every response has been overwhelming positive, I hate to jump in but oh well....there is another side.... But no - it's not fabulous.

We also had a so-so evening at La Reserve, but I'm as angry at myself as at the chef about the experience. Whoever put the finishing touch of salt on the food is someone with very dull taste buds (perhaps from smoking) or someone who has become over reliant on salt for a big hit of flavor. The night of our meal in La Reserve, I along with two other diners, sent many dishes back to the kitchen, at most, half eaten. At no point did anyone come over to our table and ask if there was a problem. Remember, La Reserve consists of tables for six. That means one half of the diners at our table were sending back substantial amounts of uneaten food.

Of course, the waiters/maitre d' can tell themselves their food is too refined or sophisticated for the people who are leaving food on the plate. Of course, they can tell themselves that their meal is a multi-course affair and that we were pacing ourselves to get through all the courses. However, they didn't know for sure and they didn't bother to inquire.

I'm less impressed with waiters simultaneously setting food in front of all the diners than I am in having a waiter or maitre d' "read" the reaction of the diners and fix problems.

I know why I didn't send the first over-salted dish back and ask for an edible serving: I chose not to disrupt the flow of the meal service for our table and, possibly, for the entire room. However, why I didn't speak up and complain when the second dish came out over-salted is something I'm not proud about.

At this point in the meal, the two other diners -- strangers -- and I began talking about the overly salty seasoning so I speak with confidence when I say the problem was salt. I can even speak with confidence that no one in the group was on a low salt diet so it wasn't simply a matter of contrast from the norm.

I know the ingredients were excellent. I know the preparation was technically demanding. I know the setting was lovely. So how did Marina let some salt turn all that talent and product into a meal with some inedible courses?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I find myself very surprised since our two different La Reserve menus (although both were on Marina, but two years apart) were so lovely.

As to Newbie's complaint about the standard of wines, a friend on the first cruise who was a La Reserve the same night we were did have a similar complaint. In her case one of the wines came from her neighborhood and while she considered it a pleasant wine, she didn't think it belonged on that menu.

I did relay this information to a neighbor of MINE who works for Wine Spectator as a manager and she sent it along to the big brass but I never heard anything further. After all, it's Wine Spectator that should be choosing the wines.

On both of our menus I adored the "big reds" that accompanied the main beef course but while I enjoyed the others, I didn't feel a need to rush out and acquire them for my non-existent cellar.

As to the saltiness of the food -- wow. A legitimate complaint to be sure. I am one who tends NOT to salt my food (while cooking and while eating) and I certainly didn't feel that way with our two menus. But certainly someone should have come over to find out why a good percentage of the diners were not finishing their plates, which generally are not large to begin with.

So sorry to hear that your experiences didn't parallel ours.

Mura

As a self-confessed obnoxious wine geek, I have to add one more item to my earlier discussion of our La Reserve experience. The very best wine of the evening, a California Chardonney, was served ice cold! By the time the wine warmed up to a suitable temperature, the dish with which it was paired had been finished. I kept the wine to enjoy but I had to smack the staff's hand more than a few times as they attempted to clear my nearly full wine glass :(

Some of the Sommeliers on board have a very good background with wine and know how it is to be served. Unfortunately, they are not in the majority and we seek out those who really understand how wine is to be served and enjoyed. Because we always bring wine from our home cellar to enjoy with dinner, we share tastes with those Somm's who 'get it'.

Ok, I lived for 2 decades in Napa valley region Almost next to Matanzas Ck, was buddies with the Heitz folks, Caymus and the list goes on Had a professional 1000 btl celler the works, from 1961 to 1986 cabs, pomerols, USA to France and Buddies in the "business" as brokers.

I say this to qualify my experience.. no more no less

With few exceptions like La Evangeline 82 and Heitz Marthas 74 wine is pretty much what you think it is... There is one famous Premier Cru from France that quietly makes his wine here sells for $35 a bottle and ship the same stuff to France and sells it for $400 a whack Likewise I know some very famous names that sell their cabs at $200+ to the connoisseur and quietly offer locals the same in gallon jugs for $25 with the over production to keep price and demand up.

It is pretty much smoke and mirrors. Your pretty much seduced by the situation , presentation, your own over confidence and the time and place

We used to delight in watching hard core foodies and the like rave about a glass of Gallo Jug wine that we decanted and hyped.... It was tough to keep a straight face. We did this with Scotches to Vodka with the same results.

Today I can enjoy simple wines... even box wine in a water glass with ice...(Oh NOT THAT) just as much as a hot stuff label/vintage. Wine, any wine, is meant to be to be drunk and enjoyed by real people, regular folks for fun not worshipped as an end all.

Lighten up and enjoy life........ its a lot easier then.

Our everyday wine is either Black Box Cabernet stored in the fridge (horrors!) or Three buck Chuck Cab or Shiraz, purchased several cases at a time. I do have a two-temp 42 bottle cooler for some "nicer" wines, but I don't think I've ever paid more than $25/bottle ashore. I've received several compliments from self-described oenophiles after blind tasting the Charles Shaw.

I don't have the credentials to match Dan, but I've come to the same conclusions.

Our everyday wine is either Black Box Cabernet stored in the fridge (horrors!) or Three buck Chuck Cab or Shiraz, purchased several cases at a time. I do have a two-temp 42 bottle cooler for some "nicer" wines, but I don't think I've ever paid more than $25/bottle ashore. I've received several compliments from self-described oenophiles after blind tasting the Charles Shaw.

I don't have the credentials to match Dan, but I've come to the same conclusions.

For fun get a empty bottle from the ship ...or some haut haunt.... Maybe a Cherval Blanc, Caymus, then decant the chuck shaw in a crystal decanter,

Wear and ascot, and speak of" finish and subtle nuance's of chocolate leather with a mineral - black currant chewiness ... pour on the adjectives like sausage gravy over biscuts. Set the bottle near the decanter with a careless napkin around it make no comment.

Pour the decanter with a flair and comment this is a little delight we share with "special urbane, well traveled sophisticates who enjoy the special things in life"

Don't laugh when they swoon trying to top your verbs. Don't chuckle when they taste everything you described and add more....

Ah yes fish on....play it gentle don't set the drag too hard.

A slightly different La Reserve question. Our adult autistic son travels with us (very high functioning) and does not drink. Is there a reduced price for no alcohol or will I need to "force" myself to drink his share?

A slightly different La Reserve question. Our adult autistic son travels with us (very high functioning) and does not drink. Is there a reduced price for no alcohol or will I need to "force" myself to drink his share?

Looks like you'll have a heavy drinking evening since this question was asked a while back and the answer, unfortunately, was NO reduction.

If I were you I would still ask the question on board.