can I check-in but actually board hours later?

Here is my situation: my husband, brother, and two year-old daughter and I are sailing out of San Juan in January. Sail time is 8:30pm and check in is from 1-7pm. I teach an online class from 3:30-6:30pm that day and I plan to do so from the Sheraton one mile away. Can I go check in with my family at 1pm and then just leave and go to the Sheraton after we get checked in and get all our cards? Then I would quickly cab back and board at 6:30pm. If anyone can think of a better plan I'm all ears. I know that the internet on board will not be good enough for my class.

Thank you!

Here is my situation: my husband, brother, and two year-old daughter and I are sailing out of San Juan in January. Sail time is 8:30pm and check in is from 1-7pm. I teach an online class from 3:30-6:30pm that day and I plan to do so from the Sheraton one mile away. Can I go check in with my family at 1pm and then just leave and go to the Sheraton after we get checked in and get all our cards? Then I would quickly cab back and board at 6:30pm. If anyone can think of a better plan I'm all ears. I know that the internet on board will not be good enough for my class.

Thank you!

I believe there's a muster drill that is usually before 6:30pm. In other words, all aboard time might be earlier than it seems from looking at the sailaway time. I'd say check with Royal, but this is important, and I'd be bit leery of what the CSR's will say. Any chance of using a cellular WiFi device from the ship?

I often check in, board, eat lunch, and get off until all aboard. Especially in San Juan with late departure. Just double check what your all aboard time is. I am not sure which port you are sailing out of, but I have stayed at the Sheraton which is across the street from the cruise port. You may only be steps away! There is another port I once ended up in on a reposition so maybe you are there. Still only a quick taxi ride away

I believe there's a muster drill that is usually before 6:30pm. In other words, all aboard time might be earlier than it seems from looking at the sailaway time. I'd say check with Royal, but this is important, and I'd be bit leery of what the CSR's will say. Any chance of using a cellular WiFi device from the ship?

If OP is sailing on Jewel, there is a single muster drill at 8:00pm (we were just onboard). I don't know about Adventure.:)

I often check in, board, eat lunch, and get off until all aboard. Especially in San Juan with late departure. Just double check what your all aboard time is. I am not sure which port you are sailing out of, but I have stayed at the Sheraton which is across the street from the cruise port. You may only be steps away! There is another port I once ended up in on a reposition so maybe you are there. Still only a quick taxi ride away

The embarkation pier is not downtown, and not walking distance. Depending on traffic, the taxi ride could take up to 20 minutes.

Thank you!

you must be on board a minimum of 90 minutes prior to scheduled sailaway.. that means ON the ship not just going through security. if ANYTHING happens to delay you, you may ned up missing the boat... literally

Thanks, everyone! This is so helpful.

I had not thought about the muster drill, but yes, it is the Jewel. I am assuming that they won't have muster until boarding time has closed, so if I'm on shortly after 6:30pm I would think that I'm safe.

What is the hotel closest to the cruise port? I had thought of staying at the Sheraton Convention Center (at 200 Convention Center, San Juan) because that appears to be only 1 mile and 3 minutes away, but maybe I'm confused about where the cruise port is.

I didn't know if the wireless system would be good enough there to use my iPhone 5 as a wireless transmitter, but if it is that is the best option. Can anyone confirm that you've used this? If it's good enough for Skype it will work for class. EDIT: I just checked and it's Verizon 3G coverage. Would that likely work?

Many thanks!

Edited by alwaysflyin

Thanks, everyone! This is so helpful.

I had not thought about the muster drill, but yes, it is the Jewel. I am assuming that they won't have muster until boarding time has closed, so if I'm on shortly after 6:30pm I would think that I'm safe.

What is the hotel closest to the cruise port? I had thought of staying at the Sheraton Convention Center (at 200 Convention Center, San Juan) because that appears to be only 1 mile and 3 minutes away, but maybe I'm confused about where the cruise port is.

I didn't know if the wireless system would be good enough there to use my iPhone 5 as a wireless transmitter, but if it is that is the best option. Can anyone confirm that you've used this? If it's good enough for Skype it will work for class.

Many thanks!

I would not want to be dependent on the ship's wireless system. It is only active in a few areas of the ship, and those are public areas. However, if you were able to use it, I believe Jewel still charges by the minute, which would cost around $100 for 3 hours of connect time.

If Skype works over your normal cellular connection, then you should be able to use the phone anywhere in San Juan (including on the ship before it leaves) because the carriers treat San Juan the same as the mainland US.

Edited by clarea

If Skype works over your normal cellular connection, then you should be able to use the phone anywhere in San Juan (including on the ship before it leaves) because the carriers treat San Juan the same as the mainland US.

Thanks so much. The ship's internet is not quick enough for me to use, but my Verizon iphone's service probably will be, since it's 3G coverage. I need to investigate this further, but this is by far the best and safest option as long as the internet is good enough. Thanks for helping me think this through.

I looked up the Sheraton Convention Center hotel, and you were correct, it it very close to the pier that Royal uses for embarkation. It looks to be away from where the most likely traffic ties ups would be. I'd say a 5 minute taxi ride is a good estimate.

While you're still in port, you won't be using the ship's internet, per se.....if you have your own wireless connection, you will use it as if you were anywhere. The ship's towers don't "click on" until you leave port!

If you have already checked in, you don't have to be aboard 90 mins. prior.....that's for CHECK IN....you will have already done that, so you should be good up to 30 mins. prior to sailaway, although I wouldn't want to wait that long!

I looked up the Sheraton Convention Center hotel, and you were correct, it it very close to the pier that Royal uses for embarkation. It looks to be away from where the most likely traffic ties ups would be. I'd say a 5 minute taxi ride is a good estimate.

Thank you so much! That is a huge relief. I think that my current plan is to go over to the port the day before and test out the internet there using my phone. If that is good then that's what I'll use; if not, I'll teach from the Sheraton, have a cab waiting, and immediately race over after class. I should be able to be there by 6:40pm, and I checked and muster is not until 8pm. Thank you again, so much, to you all!

Just get a substitute to teach the class.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately, not an option. We're only allowed to have one sub per semester and I have to have a sub during a later class. However, thanks to the help here I know that I can make this work!

While you're still in port, you won't be using the ship's internet, per se.....if you have your own wireless connection, you will use it as if you were anywhere. The ship's towers don't "click on" until you leave port!

If you have already checked in, you don't have to be aboard 90 mins. prior.....that's for CHECK IN....you will have already done that, so you should be good up to 30 mins. prior to sailaway, although I wouldn't want to wait that long!

Oh, that is actually really good news. Well, if I have to I certainly plan to race over there at 6:30pm and get on board. I will already be checked in so should have no problems then.

you must be on board a minimum of 90 minutes prior to scheduled sailaway.. that means ON the ship not just going through security. if ANYTHING happens to delay you, you may ned up missing the boat... literally

90 minutes before the scheduled sailaway is the deadline for being checked in, not the deadline for boarding. The OP will have checked in well before the check in deadline and is only concerned about how late she can actually board. That is usually one half to one full hour before the ship is scheduled to sail. The exact time should be available at the pier at check-in time.

It would be just as easy to teach the class from the pool deck. As long as the ship is docked, the internet and cellular service providers are the same ones who provide land-based communications in San Juan(i.e. AT&T, Verizon, etc.) so if you're using 3g to access the internet from the hotel, you can use the exact same method to connect from the ship. I generally don't power down until the ship drops its lines, and since I often work remotely it is just another day at the office for me - except for the Mai Tai's and the sunscreen:D

Make sure you Check your cell phone plan-A few years back my wife and I were sitting on our balcony loving the sun. All kinds of cell coverage and we figured hey San Juan is part of the United States so we were calling home, friends etc. Well when we got home each of our cell bills were about $150 more than normal-Roaming charges-so I called-nationwide coverage is 48 continental states only.

It would be just as easy to teach the class from the pool deck. As long as the ship is docked, the internet and cellular service providers are the same ones who provide land-based communications in San Juan(i.e. AT&T, Verizon, etc.) so if you're using 3g to access the internet from the hotel, you can use the exact same method to connect from the ship. I generally don't power down until the ship drops its lines, and since I often work remotely it is just another day at the office for me - except for the Mai Tai's and the sunscreen:D

Perfect! I'm so glad that I brought this up because I feel so much better about this situation. I'll check into the roaming charges but I'm not real worried about that!