Bait and Switch?

athe0007

I am currently on a cruise in Hawaii. I made reservations over a year ago and reserved a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite. There was a warning that the ship was being remodeled and the cabin might have a different configuration. When we got on the ship we were placed in a one room, 1 bath suite. We are not very experienced at this so we just assumed this was fairly standard, but it became apparent, reading between the lines (no pun intended) that this should not have happened. The crew informed us that the most they could do was give us a $500 ship board credit and a specialty dinner and that any other compensation would have to be taken up with the corporate office after the end of the cruise. I was kind of okay with this until I started to look at doing the same cruise next year and realized that the difference in price between the suite we reserved and the suite we were placed in is thousands of dollars. Is it unreasonable to think that the cruise line should have refunded the difference between what I booked and what I received? Is there a government agency that I can take this issue up with similar to the FAA?

I am currently on a cruise in Hawaii. I made reservations over a year ago and reserved a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite. There was a warning that the ship was being remodeled and the cabin might have a different configuration. When we got on the ship we were placed in a one room, 1 bath suite. We are not very experienced at this so we just assumed this was fairly standard, but it became apparent, reading between the lines (no pun intended) that this should not have happened. The crew informed us that the most they could do was give us a $500 ship board credit and a specialty dinner and that any other compensation would have to be taken up with the corporate office after the end of the cruise. I was kind of okay with this until I started to look at doing the same cruise next year and realized that the difference in price between the suite we reserved and the suite we were placed in is thousands of dollars. Is it unreasonable to think that the cruise line should have refunded the difference between what I booked and what I received? Is there a government agency that I can take this issue up with similar to the FAA?

Immediately get all your cruise documents and see the Hotel Manager, not just the customer service person at the desk. You paid for a suite and it sounds as if you have just a regular cabin. Did you book with a TA or the cruise line. Hopefully you have those document with you or they are available thru your e-mail. Do not wait until you leave the ship it will take months to sort out and likely

you will be the looser with just an angry story to tell.

Go now do not what, put in a phone call to your TA also and have them escalate this matter too.

Edited by nana541

Is this Pride of America?? If so there is a thread running for several/many months now about this very topic. The ship was reconfigured and there are some issues with the new suites. I assume if the POA it is a suite issue??? More info please and if this is the POA, check out the other thread, it is very long.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917574&highlight=poa

Edited by rvsullivan

Is this Pride of America?? If so there is a thread running for several/many months now about this very topic. The ship was reconfigured and there are some issues with the new suites. I assume if the POA it is a suite issue??? More info please and if this is the POA, check out the other thread, it is very long.

Don't know the OP will know how to find the other thread and I don't know how to post a link.... Sure hope he has his cruise invoices with him!

I agree...ACT NOW!!! You will get better results dealing with someone other than just an on-board customer service rep. Depending on how far you are into the cruise the OBC may be useless immediately. Heck, we have been on two cruises and have not spent $500 on the ship when everything on both are added together.

At the very least you deserve the difference between the cost of a suite and a regular cabin (which it sounds like you ended up in) time the number of people in the cabin.

Don't know the OP will know how to find the other thread and I don't know how to post a link.... Sure hope he has his cruise invoices with him!

Thanks for the replies! I am reluctant to identify the ship and line because I am hoping we can resolve the conflict privately. I'm just searching for information to help understand what my rights might be. We do have all the receipts. I save everything! So how can I find the thread about POA?

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the replies! I am reluctant to identify the ship and line because I am hoping we can resolve the conflict privately. I'm just searching for information to help understand what my rights might be. We do have all the receipts. I save everything! So how can I find the thread about POA?

Thanks everyone.

Post # 9 or # 11 the link is in red! Click it!

Edited by nana541

Because I don't know all the details let me ask do you actually need a 2 bedroom suite as that was other peoples problem. They paid extra because they had extra folks and needed those extra bedrooms. Is the cabin a suite (is the square footage the same just reconfigured to a 1 bdrm) or did they actually give you a regular cabin when you paid for a suite.

Those are all things to consider when you are dealing with the cruise line. This issue is well known to them based on the other thread!

Lastly how long have you been on the ship??? Did you just board? Raise hell they need to compensate (refund not OBC) for the difference of what you paid for and what you got!

Good luck and no matter what enjoy your cruise and don't let this ruin things.

Remember they may not have a different cabin available to fix this!

Because I don't know all the details let me ask do you actually need a 2 bedroom suite as that was other peoples problem. They paid extra because they had extra folks and needed those extra bedrooms. Is the cabin a suite (is the square footage the same just reconfigured to a 1 bdrm) or did they actually give you a regular cabin when you paid for a suite.

Those are all things to consider when you are dealing with the cruise line. This issue is well known to them based on the other thread!

Lastly how long have you been on the ship??? Did you just board? Raise hell they need to compensate (refund not OBC) for the difference of what you paid for and what you got!

Good luck and no matter what enjoy your cruise and don't let this ruin things.

Remember they may not have a different cabin available to fix this!

I guess we were just kinda naive. This is only our second cruise and our first was on Disney, which seemed much more concerned about customer service. This is the second to the last day. We've been on board for five days. I'm older and have young children (11 & 13) and I wanted them to have a big vacation memory of me. However, I was also hoping to have some "private" time with my wife, so there is a huge functional difference between a one room suite and a two bedroom. Heck, it was marketed as a "Family" suite. It's sad because I don't think we'll be able to afford another Hawaiian vacation. We'll probably visit the Caribbean, but this may be the last time I visit Hawaii. :(

Thanks everyone, I found the other thread and have a meeting later in the afternoon with the guest service manager.

Try to look at all the positives, you are on a cruise ship with your family....IN HAWAIIAN waters, everybody is have a great time and your children will always remember this trip. Turn those lemons into lemonade....

It is very cold here and I am sure you and yours are enjoying "flip flop" weather!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, enjoy your last time on the ship and don't let this issue ruin it.

I don't think it's intentional "Bait & Switch" but rather "Arrogance & Stupidity" on the part of Management and various Managers who failed to take ownership of KNOWN Issues and website errors. As for Arrogance, well once on the ship they had their PAYING GUESTS trapped with an attitude that said Tough Luck and there is nothing you can do to us!

If you booked and paid for a two bedroom suite and you were given a one bedroom, you certainly would seem to be entitled to a refund of the price difference. You surely do not want to accept a token reimbursement from shipboard personnel if that would require you to waive any claims. Your documentation is vital, to your claim.

If you booked and paid for a two bedroom suite and you were given a one bedroom, you certainly would seem to be entitled to a refund of the price difference. You surely do not want to accept a token reimbursement from shipboard personnel if that would require you to waive any claims. Your documentation is vital, to your claim.

I totally agree and suggest you follow navybankerteachers' advice about not accepting a token reimbursement while on board as they could jeopardize a claim for the full amount of the difference in what you paid and what you were assigned.

Hope you can settle the issue while on board but suspect probably not.

Please follow up with us and let us know how it resolves.

Travel home safely. :)

If I booked and paid for a 2 bedroom suite I would expect to get a 2 bedroom suite. If I wound up with a 1 bedroom suite, I would be absolutely furious.

I did post a response to this before, however, for reasons unbeknownst to me, it was removed from the thread. I would appreciate to know the reason for the removal.

Verboten to discuss.;)

If you have a question about it, you can ask here.

community@cruisecritic.com.

Because I don't know all the details let me ask do you actually need a 2 bedroom suite as that was other peoples problem. They paid extra because they had extra folks and needed those extra bedrooms.

It makes no difference if the OP actually needed a 2 bedroom suite, it's what they wanted and what they paid for. They said the difference in price between what they got and what they paid was in the thousands of dollars. So, in essence, they paid extra and got nothing for it.

Like Navybankerteacher said, they should get a refund for "overpaying".

It makes no difference if the OP actually needed a 2 bedroom suite, it's what they wanted and what they paid for. They said the difference in price between what they got and what they paid was in the thousands of dollars. So, in essence, they paid extra and got nothing for it.

Oh I agree.... It's was asked early on by me to figure what they could possibly be moved to during the cruise.... They should absolutely get a refund based on what they paid for vs what they got... Not only that they paid big money got the two bdrm because they had 2 children with them!!! Yep they got "screwed" for sure.

Let me give you an analogy in another type of business. You go to your Mercedes dealer and buy an expensive Mercedes. When you come to pick it up, they tell you that they were out of the model you had bought and paid for and they were giving you a used Yugo (remember them) in its place. Because the Yugo was not quite as good as the car you were expecting, they had upgraded the Yugo to the model with an AM radio.

It makes no difference whether you really needed the expensive Mercedes. You wanted it, paid for it, and the dealer accepted your money for it.

Is this purposely ridiculous analogy any different than what the OP was subjected to?

DON

Edited by donaldsc