Evacuation costs

MS52

We're looking at several trips this year, so instead of getting insurance for each trip I'm looking at an annual travel insurance policy.

Coverage and costs for a policy is all over the map. One policy offers $10,000 for medical evacuation, another offers $1 million for the same. I would assume that $10,000 would not be nearly enough especially if you needed medical transportation to home. But is a million overkill?

If I were to be evacuated from a ship, does anyone have any idea just what it would cost?

I am not looking for trip cancellation insurance (at this point we're self insured) just medical/evacuation. If anyone has any guidelines, thoughts, they'd be appreciated.

Let's not debate the merits of insurance here - I'm just looking to make an informed purchase.

Over the years I have heard of costs ranging from $10,000 to $50,000, depending on which country the transport is from and where to....plus, how much medical care is required during the transport. Such as, does a nurse or doctor need to accompany you while you receive medications, IV's, etc. Plus, you need to consider the costs of your companion returning with you.

I would feel comfortable with insuring my husband and I in the $100,000 range, but probably much less if we were doing one of the Eastern/Western Caribbean itineraries, where I would think it would be much less to get you back to the States.

For example, $100,000 in evacuation coverage should be enough protection for a cruise to the Carribbean, however, travelers visiting Asia or Africa may want to consider a travel insurance policy with at least $250,000 in evacuation coverage. -

from

http://blogs.squaremouth.com/press-room/top-five-myths-for-travel-insurance-during-cruise-season-warns-squaremouth/

InsureMyTrip Explains: Medical Evacuation Costs

from

http://www.insuremytrip.com/mailings/17Jan2013_newsletter.php

Edited by derf5585

Interesting. We buy insurance for each trip. Had not thought of an annual plan.

The annual plans seem to be much more reasonable for someone of my age. :D Just need to make the best decision. The problem for me is that you're insuring for something that you hope will never happen!

For example, $100,000 in evacuation coverage should be enough protection for a cruise to the Carribbean, however, travelers visiting Asia or Africa may want to consider a travel insurance policy with at least $250,000 in evacuation coverage. -

from

http://blogs.squaremouth.com/press-room/top-five-myths-for-travel-insurance-during-cruise-season-warns-squaremouth/

InsureMyTrip Explains: Medical Evacuation Costs

from

http://www.insuremytrip.com/mailings/17Jan2013_newsletter.php

Thanks, I was looking at Squaremouth but missed the links. Very helpful

The coast guard does not charge to air lift someone by helicopter from a ship. If they are close enough to the mainland of the US they will probably take you to a US hospital. In more distant locations you may get a charge to be flown off a ship if that is done by another governments coast guard.

Medical flights home from overseas vary in cost. If your condition is not that severe your insurance company could put you on a commercial airline, perhaps in first class, with a nurse of physician to accompany you. In the overall scheme of things this is inexpensive.

A medical aircraft from the Caribbean is in the $25,000 - $50,000 range to get back to the States. From the far east it is $250,000. IMHO I would choose a policy that covers $500,000.

The other thing to look at is that some policies will get you to the nearest place that can provide care. That means that if you are in Africa that might fly you to Europe vs the States. When and if they will pay the cost to get you back home could be a debate. Other policies allow you to choose where you are flown to, presuming clinically it is OK.

Remember too that often package/annual insurance is for medical or medical evac only, and doesn't include trip delay/cancellation coverage. You can get package insurance that does have additional coverage, but the prices may start to climb above insuring each trip.

Remember too that often package/annual insurance is for medical or medical evac only, and doesn't include trip delay/cancellation coverage. You can get package insurance that does have additional coverage, but the prices may start to climb above insuring each trip.

does anyone read the OP before posting?

if you are anywhere other then the Caribbean or Alaska.. say Europe or Asia, etc.. I can see the tab running up very quickly. depending on your problem. days in a hospital and all the associated test, surgery, whatever can add up quickly, you can't drive to your local ER and get out for much less then $10k. don't forget your spouse will be coming along, maybe.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Have you first checked what worldwide evacuation you have with your health insurance carrier? Any evacuation policy will pay second after your primary insurance pays.

For instance, we have a Senior Advantage plan with Kaiser in CA that is integrated with Medicare. It covers us for emergency evacuation anywhere in the world. For this reason we don't look for medical travel insurance, just cancellation and interruption.

The good thing is that the difference in premium in going from something like $250k to $1 million in evacuation coverage is not likely to be huge. I would make sure that the evacuation coverage is per incident/occurrence (likely) and not an annual or cumulative coverage (less likely). Take whatever you think the maximum evacuation costs would be for the most expensive trip of the year and cover 150% of that cost.

I recommend AirMed to my clients and use them my self. They are affordable AND there is no "Medical Necessity" requirement for them to send you home.

With some of the others you have to have both the sending and receiving doctors agree that you need to be in a different hospital and usually they send you to the "nearest appropriate facility" which is usually not home.

With AirMed if you are in the hospital in London (or wherever) and want to go home, they will fly you to the hospital of your choice.

I recommend AirMed to my clients and use them my self. They are affordable AND there is no "Medical Necessity" requirement for them to send you home.

With some of the others you have to have both the sending and receiving doctors agree that you need to be in a different hospital and usually they send you to the "nearest appropriate facility" which is usually not home.

With AirMed if you are in the hospital in London (or wherever) and want to go home, they will fly you to the hospital of your choice.

Thanks for the link. This looks like a great policy. Do you know anyone who has had to use them? Hopefully not.....but would like to know if the policy worked as stated.

The coast guard does not charge to air lift someone by helicopter from a ship. If they are close enough to the mainland of the US they will probably take you to a US hospital. In more distant locations you may get a charge to be flown off a ship if that is done by another governments coast guard.

Medical flights home from overseas vary in cost. If your condition is not that severe your insurance company could put you on a commercial airline, perhaps in first class, with a nurse of physician to accompany you. In the overall scheme of things this is inexpensive.

A medical aircraft from the Caribbean is in the $25,000 - $50,000 range to get back to the States. From the far east it is $250,000. IMHO I would choose a policy that covers $500,000.

QUOTE]

I am a nurse case manager and have seen the cost of air evac from Phoenix to Los Angeles be greater than $50,000.

Thanks for the link. This looks like a great policy. Do you know anyone who has had to use them? Hopefully not.....but would like to know if the policy worked as stated.

I don't know anyone who has used them, but from my personal research they seem good. They do have testimonials on their site, but with any company you should take that for what it is: advertising by them for them.

About 10 years ago, I fell on a Celebrity ship. They told me that we would be in St. Thomas the next day and They would take care of me. Was given IV's and pain relievers during the night. It was obvious, my femur was broken

Anyway, the Dr. in St Thomas did not have correct "tools" to operate.

I was healthy and didn't think I needed insurance but took it anyway with Travel Guard.

They took over in St.Thomas and flew us home in a small ambulance plane. (my husband and I and 2 R.N.'s) After landing, took us to our hometown hospital.

Travel Guard paid every bill without question

As I remember, the plane alone was $25,000

I am sure costs are much higher now.

I'm doing a little digging into this, and I am now confused about coverage.

Examples:

• AAA(CAA in Canada) emergency travel insurance only covers $5,000 for emergency evacuation.. hardly adequate
  • AirMed (a suggestion from an earlier post) only uses fixed wing aircraft, and does not reimburse you if you use another service - it's not an insurance policy, but it's a plan to cover usage of their own aircraft. Helicopters are not fixed wing.

Why does insurance have to be so cryptic and confusing...

I have insurance through gov't and private sources, but I want a little extra for emergency evacuation.

Just was going thru the medjet annual membership I found this statement

Due to the limited medical facilities and testing available on cruise ships, the Member must be admitted to a hospital on shore before scheduling medical transport to another hospital.

So I thinking medjet might not be a good fit for a cruise

My thanks to JasonTheGreat! I did some research on AirMed and bought a family annual policy for my husband and I yesterday.

We have very good health insurance coverage with Kaiser worldwide, but it's on a reimbursed basis: we pay, they pay us back.

The cost of emergency care can be covered by several means, but I've always been concerned about paying to get to a preferred facility or getting home if either of us were seriously injured or ill. The cost would be totally crazy!! AirMed solves that problem.

The cost of this annual family policy is about the same as buying cruise insurance for a 2 week cruise, but the cruise insurance has a lot of benefits we don't need. Luggage, trip delay, medical, etc. are all covered by Kaiser or our credit card company. For the same price I can get AirMed for a YEAR, and have their coverage anywhere in the world, including the US. So, if we go 150 miles away from home we have medical transportation back in case of an emergency.

It just seems money better spent to me buying coverage for a whole year and for what is not covered elsewhere.

We will now buy trip cancellation coverage for higher priced cruises, but otherwise we don't need to by any other coverage at all.

Edited by pcur