LAFFNVEGAS Live From the Gelukkig Nieuwjaar Cruise on the MS Veendam

LAFFNVEGAS

Well I guess we were ready to go but Captain announced there was a medical disembark and we could be delayed any where from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. How sad that someone needs to disembark but better now than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear there is an ill or injured guest. Hopefully they make a good recovery.

That could explain the absence(s) from Life Boat Drill.

Edited by sail7seas

Sat December 28th 2014

Good Evening from the MS Veendam. I guess I should have made sure my iPad portable key board still worked from our May Zuiderdam cruise. Unfortunately I cannot get it to connect so doing the one fingered typing thing :(

Well the first day was interesting maybe call it culture shock from not having been on this class of ship for over 5 years. I will give it a few more days be fore I will give an opinion.

We have early dining and the first map listed with table 56 towards the aft is correct an actually we were I this section on our Statendam cruise 5 yrs ago just one table for two over toward port side. Service in the dining room was actually pretty good for us and our Wine Steward was also pretty good refilling our wine glasses. We went with the Navigator o

Package of the Riesling not the best but drinkable. Lots and lots of families with small children and multiple generations on board. All so far seem well behaved.

Now this was a funny this guy walks up to a 6 top near us and starts doing Magic tricks. I am telling Tom this because his back is to them. I am saying No don't let HAL have. Stepped to this level. Thankfully after a couple of tricks I figured out he was with the group just from another table ;) but it made for a bit of a funny OMG moment. Oh another real funny thing is when we have our window open during the day and people use the window as a mirror. I am waiving and laughing at them. Now. Once it gets dark of course you can see right I the cabin. Tom has deeded we need to place a tip cup outside on the window sill that says " show starts at 7:30 please tip here :D he says I am the entertainer ;)

Ok back to dinner nothing overly special tonight we both ended up with the Prime Rib but it was very good.

Really not a whole lot of entertainment going on. The Mix had Trivia going on at 7:30 which seemed strange to me.

Ok there has to be something going on with the shops, is it possible Starboard is leaving? Not one piece of logo wear, nothing with HAL at all in the shops. Plus in the shops where there use to be logo wear is only clothes for women absolutely nothing for men not even the cheap T-shirts. Needless to say Tom was a bit disappointed.

After walking around we headed to the Crows Nest and figured out that was where they were holding the Suite Welcome Party but no music playing actually nothing going on at all tonight in the Crows Nest.

Well I think I will sign off I had suggested: we meet at the Crows Nest at 9:30 for our Roll Call since we are not having a Meet and Greet.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Veendam.

Sunday December 29 2013

Good morning from the MS Veendam :). Tom and I slept fantastic last night, we slept in till after 9 but to be honest we moved the clocks ahead last night ;) but we still laid in bed and just enjoyed the morning in the cabin. We skipped breakfast this morning because we are going to the Pinnacle for lunch in a little while.

Ok let's talk bathrooms ..... I have seen mentioned many times about the must higher bath tubs on the R and S class ships but the one thing I have never seen mentioned is the commode aka toilet height :D Now I know many of you have met me and know I am quite short so this comment is a bit funny but the toilet is about 5 inches shorter with the seat feeling like you are almost sitting on the floor.... It is almost comical. I felt like I was falling when I got up in the middle of the night. I am not sure if this is specific to this particular cabin or those in OV or on this deck. When we were last on this ship we were in cabin 002 so just a few floors up and do not recall this Interesting aspect to the bathroom :)

Right now it appears we have the regular Formal Nights tonight and then on Thursday. We were sort of expecting Tuesday would be with being New Years Eve.

I need to get going but I also wanted to mention there are some Holiday decorations but both Tom and I think they are not as plentiful as the Eurodam was five years ago.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Veendam

Sunday December 29 2013

Good morning from the MS Veendam :). Tom and I slept fantastic last night, we slept in till after 9 but to be honest we moved the clocks ahead last night ;) but we still laid in bed and just enjoyed the morning in the cabin. We skipped breakfast this morning because we are going to the Pinnacle for lunch in a little while.

Ok let's talk bathrooms ..... I have seen mentioned many times about the must higher bath tubs on the R and S class ships but the one thing I have never seen mentioned is the commode aka toilet height :D Now I know many of you have met me and know I am quite short so this comment is a bit funny but the toilet is about 5 inches shorter with the seat feeling like you are almost sitting on the floor.... It is almost comical. I felt like I was falling when I got up in the middle of the night. I am not sure if this is specific to this particular cabin or those in OV or on this deck. When we were last on this ship we were in cabin 002 so just a few floors up and do not recall this Interesting aspect to the bathroom :)

Right now it appears we have the regular Formal Nights tonight and then on Thursday. We were sort of expecting Tuesday would be with being New Years Eve.

I need to get going but I also wanted to mention there are some Holiday decorations but both Tom and I think they are not as plentiful as the Eurodam was five years ago.

LOL, Lisa! That's why I asked you to order an elevated toilet seat for me after I had my hip replacement and we were in 420 on the Maasdam!

How was San Diego terminal/check in? Have been hearing mixed reviews- surly staff, people in suite/mariner check in line confronted when employee didn't think they "looked" like passengers, etc. Just curious if SAN has improved

Edited by frankc98376

Sunday December 29 2013

Our toilet on the Statendam (018) seemed fine to me but some of the public toilets seem to have the same problem your talking about, very low to the ground, and for me that is a problem because I'm on the taller side.

Thanks Lisa for the update.

I didn't find the toilets that low on the P'dam or the Maasdam so, either I am used to it or they are different in that category of cabin.

Enjoy - it sounds like you are having fun and that is the main thing :D

We have never been on a New Years cruise that New Year's Eve was anything but formal. I'd be so surprised if that is not the case on Veendam's NYE cruise. Maybe they'll announce a change when someone realizes it would be good to make that a formal night. :)