Babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs

20pluscruises

First of all, even if true, "They are virtually leak-free" doesn't cut it. There's no way a crappy diaper holds in 100% of the crap around the legs and wasteband. Impossible.

Second, the Celebrity rules are no children in diapers allowed in the pools or hot tubs. The way that's worded to me means no exceptions. Pamper Swimmy Diapers or not.

SDT

Here is what one website says:

It is important to understand that disposable swim diapers do not make the claim to completely absorb urine and keep it from getting into the water. Nor do they claim to prevent feces from getting into the water.

And here is another:

So back to the swim diapers. Do they or do they not safely contain a baby’s poop in the pool? No. No, they do not.

I give you Exhibit A, a letter from Kimberly-clark which some kind soul has posted to the internet. It would seem that Little Swimmers were developed as an alternative that does not swell, shred, and clog pool filters. But “When the child is in the water, urine, BM, and water will mix, as they would with any other type of swimwear… We are not aware of any swimming apparel, rubber pants, swimsuits, or diapers which will prevent the spread of bacteria in swimming pools.” So, NO, they make no claim that their swim diapers will prevent poop from leaking into a swimming pool.

First of all I don't think a hot tub is a good idea for a baby or toddler. I don't even like it for myself!

Pampers has swimming diapers which are specifically made for pools and beaches. I don't know what kind of diapers these pax used' date=' but I wouldn't worry about the Swim Pampers. They are virtually leak-free.

I am sure some of you have little ones (or grand little ones) who take swimming lessons in pools. If they were contaminating the pools, do you think these lessons would take place?

It sounds like the Spanish-speaking pax you encountered come from a culture which is rich or poor and the rich are spoiled and used to having their own way. The crew are not from their class and they are teated accordingly. That is probably why the crew can't speak up to them.

Over the years I have heard complaints from pax and crew members expecially on holiday cruises (I was on the following cruise and got an earful!) Not necessarily about diapers, but other kid-related issues.[/quote']

Swim diapers do NOT prevent bacteria from urine and feces from entering the pool water.

From the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention website:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/protection/swim-diapers-swim-pants.html

Swim Diapers & Swim Pants

The use of swim diapers and swim pants might give users, parents, and pool staff a false sense of security regarding fecal contamination.

Some research has looked into how well swim diapers and swim pants are able to keep feces (poop) and infection-causing germs from leaking into the pool. Even though swim diapers and swim pants might hold in some solid feces (1), they are not leak proof. Swim diapers can delay diarrhea-causing germs like, Cryptosporidium, from leaking into the water for a few minutes, but swim diapers do not keep these germs from contaminating the water (2). No manufacturers claim these products prevent leakage of diarrhea into pools. (My bolding.)

I support the efforts of the OP and hope that he/she sends her video into Celebrity Head Office with a strongly worded letter of protest.

Here is what one website says:

It is important to understand that disposable swim diapers do not make the claim to completely absorb urine and keep it from getting into the water. Nor do they claim to prevent feces from getting into the water.

And here is another:

So back to the swim diapers. Do they or do they not safely contain a baby’s poop in the pool? No. No, they do not.

I give you Exhibit A, a letter from Kimberly-clark which some kind soul has posted to the internet. It would seem that Little Swimmers were developed as an alternative that does not swell, shred, and clog pool filters. But “When the child is in the water, urine, BM, and water will mix, as they would with any other type of swimwear… We are not aware of any swimming apparel, rubber pants, swimsuits, or diapers which will prevent the spread of bacteria in swimming pools.” So, NO, they make no claim that their swim diapers will prevent poop from leaking into a swimming pool.

It only takes common sense to figure this one out!

Edited by SHill64

wish more of us would take them to task....wish there was an adult pool only.....it is worth fighting for....and of course I can keep wishing....as someone pointed out to me recently on CC, that I am in the wrong century when I want an adult only pool....

You might need to switch to HAL. Their aft pool is adult only. In Feb we will cruise on X for the first time. If we experience this nonsense it will be our last. And they wonder how/why people get sick onboard? Unbelievable.

Watch people in the buffet sticking their hands into the trays, tasting food and then putting it back, going to the lav and not washing their hands, maybe they don't wipe thier butt, who knows what their hygiene is? The person that douses themselves with napalm instead of bathing and contaminates the air. Why should they be concerned about any rules about using a pool or hot tub?

🎉🍸🎩

Swim diapers do NOT prevent bacteria from urine and feces from entering the pool water.

From the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention website:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/protection/swim-diapers-swim-pants.html

Swim Diapers & Swim Pants

The use of swim diapers and swim pants might give users, parents, and pool staff a false sense of security regarding fecal contamination.

Some research has looked into how well swim diapers and swim pants are able to keep feces (poop) and infection-causing germs from leaking into the pool. Even though swim diapers and swim pants might hold in some solid feces (1), they are not leak proof. Swim diapers can delay diarrhea-causing germs like, Cryptosporidium, from leaking into the water for a few minutes, but swim diapers do not keep these germs from contaminating the water (2). No manufacturers claim these products prevent leakage of diarrhea into pools. (My bolding.)

I support the efforts of the OP and hope that he/she sends her video into Celebrity Head Office with a strongly worded letter of protest.

I will absolutely send it along with...if the baby had been given a recent immunization shot the possibility of the LIVE VIRUS from the dirty diaper in a pool or hot tub is a very dangerous health hazard.

I hope they do realize this rule MUST be enforced. NO babies in diapers allowed in the pools or hot tubs. I did mention the health hazard to both security and the pool staff and got the "yeah, whatever lady" response.

Are you asking for better enforcement of rules now that you are off the ship?

jls

I think the OP regrets not doing more while onboard and just needed some ideas and encouragement on how to further this with management. I can see how some people don't like direct confrontation with other passengers. I'm sure the video shows the Celebrity employees that basically just stood by and let this continue to happen everyday. A few years ago and not long after boarding the ship, I smelled cigarette smoke coming in from our sliding glass door. I went outside and looked around the wall to the veranda beside us and what did I see? A glass half full of water and cigarette butts. I went down to Guest Relations and reported it. The next day we smelled it again. This time I took a photo of it and went down to Guest Relations. It wasn't 15 minutes later I heard a knock at the cabin door beside us and we could hear security have a conversation about the smoking on the veranda. Did it stop them? No! The next time I confronted them, told them I had photos of the butts and had intentions of reporting it with pictures to the corporate office. I don't know if it was that or a second visit by security on a tip from the cabin stewart, but the smoking stopped. My point is, some folks just cannot confront people or push things as far as it takes sometimes. I commend the OP for forwarding the video to Michael Bailey's office.

Edited by SHill64

You might need to switch to HAL. Their aft pool is adult only. In Feb we will cruise on X for the first time. If we experience this nonsense it will be our last. And they wonder how/why people get sick onboard? Unbelievable.

So no one pees in the aft adult pool on HAL?:confused:

Edited by Christine Frances

We did bring it up to secruity and pool staff DAILY!

Pool staff explained as they were also Spanish they could not enforce the rules with the Spanish guests.

We actually spoke with secruity twice...they just nodded and said it was being handled. It was a numerous times during the day they were asked to stay out of the pools and hot tubs.

We were not able to enjoy the pool for a cool down due the health hazard...not to mention if one of the babies had recently gotten a LIVE VIRUS shot. Wasn't going to take that chance.

And yes, they spoke perfect English when asking us if we were leaving soon as they needed a few more lounge chairs. We didn't plan on leaving soon...but once they started changing two of the babies diapers right on the lounge chair next to us....we were out of there. Our sunny pool side day was cut short, no enjoying the pool or hot tub on the 6 remaining days.

I sill say the pool staff tried their best (although I didn't like their excuses) Security didn't step in until the very last day when one of the Mothers from the group refused to get out of the blow up baby pool.

Next time go beyond security and the pool staff if it happens onboard and the pool staff and security don't resolve it. Go to the hotel director.

1. She wasn't the only Mom with kids

2. She took up room a lot of room stretched out side to side right in the middle of the darn thing.

Oh sorry, I thought the blow up pool was just for that family. Been on lots of Celebrity cruises, but I've never seen a blow up pool before. I thought it was something they brought on.

Hopefully you're kidding.

If not, then your smirky attitude represents all that it wrong with you and other self-absorbed people who find sport in ignoring/ flaunting rules designed to make cruising enjoyable and safe. Grow up.

This board is filled with folks beating the rules from Run Runners to getting to the pier at the time they specify to power strips. I would almost guarantee every cruiser has broken some noted or post cruise rule or recommendation because it didn't suit their need.

Its not just the wee and the poop. I choose the adults only pools to avoid being splashed, bombed, hit with balls, squirted with water guns, no high pitched screaming, no running, no tantrums and so I dont have to listen to inane baby talk by adults.

I have 2 grown children - I have moved on from that and when I go on holidays, I dont need to relive it!

I also have no qualms in pointing out the pool rules or asking to speak to the Deck Officer in charge.

Its not just the wee and the poop. I choose the adults only pools to avoid being splashed, bombed, hit with balls, squirted with water guns, no high pitched screaming, no running, no tantrums and so I dont have to listen to inane baby talk by adults.

I have 2 grown children - I have moved on from that and when I go on holidays, I dont need to relive it!

I also have no qualms in pointing out the pool rules or asking to speak to the Deck Officer in charge.

Yeah a post after my own heart, agree, agree!!!:D

Next time go beyond security and the pool staff if it happens onboard and the pool staff and security don't resolve it. Go to the hotel director.

Charles hit the bull's eye here.

When crew members don't respond, go up the chain of command.

You had a right to use the pool without the concern of a baby's diaper.

Parents often know when the baby is in a "predictable period" for going into a child's wading pool.

On another note, IMHO it is irresponsible for a parent to take a baby into a pool on a cruise ship. For the baby's sake alone the "adults only" should be enforced even if you need to see the hotel director.

We would take the matter up aboard ship but I understand you wanting to alert readers on this website to the problem and the non-enforcement thereof.

Thank you.

jls

This board is filled with folks beating the rules from Run Runners to getting to the pier at the time they specify to power strips. I would almost guarantee every cruiser has broken some noted or post cruise rule or recommendation because it didn't suit their need.

Nope, never broke one of the rules. Never brought booze on, never brought a power strip, never brought an iron, always abide by the dress code requirements, never cut in line, always use tongs at the buffet, etc., so no, not every cruises has broken some noted or post cruise rule or recommendation.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the blow up pool? We brought one when our son was 14 months old. I specifically asked and was told that it was fine to use, and where to drain it appropriately. He did not go in the pool because he wasn't toilet trained at that time.

But as for the rest... I agree, rules should be rules for everyone.

the problem was the family refused to use it even after it was so nicely provided by the cruise line. as in the crew brought it over and asked that the diapered kids use that to play in and the family blatantly ignored the request.

the family SHOULD have been kicked off the ship for failure to abide by multiple request of the staff to obey the stated rules..

They moved on to the adult pool once they were told to get out of the smaller pool.

the problem was the family refused to use it even after it was so nicely provided by the cruise line. as in the crew brought it over and asked that the diapered kids use that to play in and the family blatantly ignored the request.

the family SHOULD have been kicked off the ship for failure to abide by multiple request of the staff to obey the stated rules..

ITA!!! Why didn't they at the very least didn't ban them from the pool area is beyond me?

Do you know if it was the cruise staff babysitters or their nanny? I ask because both girls had on the same exact uniform. I did get a picture of them changing the diapers on the pool lounger and will be sending that along with the video.

Maybe someone here on the boards know what the cruise staff babysitters uniform looks like?

Pampers has swimming diapers which are specifically made for pools and beaches. I don't know what kind of diapers these pax used' date=' but I wouldn't worry about the Swim Pampers. They are virtually leak-free.

[/quote']

Not good enough. if you ban one brand you ban them all, period. making exceptions based on corporate claims is not valid.. far too many people wouldn't( or couldn't) accept the distinction, nor should they. same reason e cigs are banned in the non smoking areas.

Charles hit the bull's eye here.

When crew members don't respond, go up the chain of command.

You had a right to use the pool without the concern of a baby's diaper.

Parents often know when the baby is in a "predictable period" for going into a child's wading pool.

On another note, IMHO it is irresponsible for a parent to take a baby into a pool on a cruise ship. For the baby's sake alone the "adults only" should be enforced even if you need to see the hotel director.

We would take the matter up aboard ship but I understand you wanting to alert readers on this website to the problem and the non-enforcement thereof.

Thank you.

jls

It never crossed my mind to go higher up the chain. Once security didn't seem to care about the diapers in the pool, my stating I video taped them, and the pool staffs excuses both my husband and I just kinda sat there in shock.

We thought at the very least they would have drained the hot tub....esp. since they now close the hot tubs early due legionnaires disease from past Celebrity cruises.

I can't believe the parents of the kids in diapers would themselves even want to be in a pool or hot tub with the chance of them being contaminated by their kids. That would be akin to wading around in their toilet at home. Gross.

That thought crossed my mind when the Mother was in the blow up pool......ewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!