Babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs

20pluscruises

The lack of rule enforcement on the Reflection with allowing the same five babies in the pools (both childrens and adult) and hot tubs is unbelievable! It continued over the entire 7 days. AND there was a blow up baby pool brought up on deck by Celebrity for their own personal use. This is a major health hazard!

We and a few other guests were told they hacd no control over the rule enforcement due to their nationality...and that was why it was hard to get them to obey the rules. The guests clearly spoke english. Has anyone ever heard of a more ridiculous excuse?

As a parent of three young children, I think its ridiculous. It's hard to imagine that X would have difficulties communicating with its passengers, given the wide cultural variety of its staff. It was also very kind of X to supply an inflatable pool.

Edited by luvs2fly

The lack of rule enforcement on the Reflection with allowing the same five babies in the pools (both childrens and adult) and hot tubs is unbelievable! It continued over the entire 7 days. AND there was a blow up baby pool brought up on deck by Celebrity for their own personal use. This is a major health hazard!

We and a few other guests were told they hacd no control over the rule enforcement due to their nationality...and that was why it was hard to get them to obey the rules. The guests clearly spoke english. Has anyone ever heard of a more ridiculous excuse?

Could you email me the link to the video. I need to get my blood boiling this afternoon. :eek:

That's not very encouraging news about the Reflection. My feelings on a situation like that are, if I'm expected to follow the rules, so is everyone else.

One thing that might have gotten the crew's attention would have been playing the safety card, as I like to call it. With that many diapered babies in a pool (or God forbid) hot tub, there is a strong likelihood of ending up with fecal contamination. Plus, hot tubs are not safe environments for babies that young. Perhaps someone should have insisted on speaking directly with the Hotel Director, or the Chief Safety Officer. At this point, all you can do is write a letter or e-mail to corporate in Miami. I do hope that you take the time to do that -- they need to be aware that an unsafe situation was tolerated by the Reflection's crew.

There are rule breakers of every nationality, so let's keep the focus where it belongs, on the failure by Celebrity to enforce its own rules. There are some which I'm willing to turn a blind eye to, perhaps a pair of shorts in the MDR on a non-formal night, but this is clearly a health issue.

I agree with previous posters who have said that this issue should have been pushed up the chain of command until there was a satisfactory resolution.

That's not very encouraging news about the Reflection. My feelings on a situation like that are, if I'm expected to follow the rules, so is everyone else.

One thing that might have gotten the crew's attention would have been playing the safety card, as I like to call it. With that many diapered babies in a pool (or God forbid) hot tub, there is a strong likelihood of ending up with fecal contamination. Plus, hot tubs are not safe environments for babies that young. Perhaps someone should have insisted on speaking directly with the Hotel Director, or the Chief Safety Officer. At this point, all you can do is write a letter or e-mail to corporate in Miami. I do hope that you take the time to do that -- they need to be aware that an unsafe situation was tolerated by the Reflection's crew.

I did mention that it was a health hazard and that I had even video taped them numerous times in the pool and hot tubs with security standing 20 feet away and right above on the upper level. Did not seem to make one bit of difference.

AND the pool staff and guests spoke the same language. Pool staff (two of them) said this was why it was difficult to make them obey the rules. WTH is that all about?

I didn't post the video. However, the staff was well aware that I was video taping them. DID NOT make one bit of difference.

You should send it to corporate. Wanna bet it matters there?

Edited by SHill64

We did bring it up to secruity and pool staff DAILY!

Pool staff explained as they were also Spanish they could not enforce the rules with the Spanish guests.

We actually spoke with secruity twice...they just nodded and said it was being handled. It was a numerous times during the day they were asked to stay out of the pools and hot tubs.

We were not able to enjoy the pool for a cool down due the health hazard...not to mention if one of the babies had recently gotten a LIVE VIRUS shot. Wasn't going to take that chance.

And yes, they spoke perfect English when asking us if we were leaving soon as they needed a few more lounge chairs. We didn't plan on leaving soon...but once they started changing two of the babies diapers right on the lounge chair next to us....we were out of there. Our sunny pool side day was cut short, no enjoying the pool or hot tub on the 6 remaining days.

I sill say the pool staff tried their best (although I didn't like their excuses) Security didn't step in until the very last day when one of the Mothers from the group refused to get out of the blow up baby pool.

IMHO I think it is appalling that a situation like this was allowed to continue after the first day. I am also surprised with the lack of attention from the pool staff, and the lax in security as they usually will deal with any problems immediately no matter what or where on the ship. There may have been reasons for this, but personally I can't think of any. As suggested please do write a letter to corporate. It does not matter what country they were from, common sense is common sense. There may be other passengers that will also complain.

I'm am sorry for you both that you were unable to enjoy your time at the pool due to some inconsiderate passengers.

oh wow..well you know how I feel about it...have been fighting it for years....the pool, the hot tub...every cruise....the only way to do it is take it right to guest relations, get everyones names...get the names of the staff that did nothing ...

document.....of course it spoils your holiday....it makes it stressful....put it in your letter, how it affected your stress level....how it ruined your cruise....put it in the questionaire at the beginning , at the end and a letter to everyone you can think of...

for me this would ruin a cruise...I have had the same experience, babies in diapers in hot tub....parents speaking only spanish but knew every swear word in english.....

I am sorry to say, that I have in many cases given up going to the pool, otherwise I am forced to deal with these ignorant people, babes in pool and then the diaper changes beside me on chairs.....nothing five star about this experience as they advertise .....

all the brochures....older attractive couple, wine in their hands, a glint in their eye.....

no sign of running kids or babies in pool and hot tub....

false advertising.....wish more of us would take them to task....wish there was an adult pool only.....it is worth fighting for....and of course I can keep wishing....as someone pointed out to me recently on CC, that I am in the wrong century when I want an adult only pool....

IMHO I think it is appalling that a situation like this was allowed to continue after the first day. I am also surprised with the lack of attention from the pool staff, and the lax in security as they usually will deal with any problems immediately no matter what or where on the ship. There may have been reasons for this, but personally I can't think of any. As suggested please do write a letter to corporate. It does not matter what country they were from, common sense is common sense. There may be other passengers that will also complain.

I'm am sorry for you both that you were unable to enjoy your time at the pool due to some inconsiderate passengers.

It in my opinion was due to Security not stepping in. The pool staff tried their best...they were actually doing laps around the pool getting the bigger children out of the hot tubs. However, the major concern should have been the diapered babies.

We quickly learned over the following days to time our pool/sun time. However, getting into the pool was never going to happen.

The rest of our cruise was pretty darn good.

One of the reasons we like Celebrity is there are usually very few children and/or infants. Especially on the transatlantic cruises we do. I have an A type personality and have zero problem confronting another passenger about their poor behavior. My intervention is almost always met with appreciation from the crew and other passengers. I will say what the crew is only thinking and not allowed to say. It usually has a more profound affect on the passenger than the "hired help".

One of the reasons we like Celebrity is there are usually very few children and/or infants. Especially on the transatlantic cruises we do. I have an A type personality and have zero problem confronting another passenger about their poor behavior. My intervention is almost always met with appreciation from the crew and other passengers. I will say what the crew is only thinking and not allowed to say. It usually has a more profound affect on the passenger than the "hired help".

Oh, trust me, I said to please take the children downstairs to change the diapers as other people will be laying on the lounge chairs. I know without a doubt they didn't care as they then changed the second childs diaper. AND the kicker....it was both the Mom AND nanny I spoke with.

Problem is that you may be unknowingly addressing someone with a similar 'A' Type personality or just someone who reacts badly. I sympathise with your approach but I tend to leave it to staff to deal with such issues should I be sufficiently annoyed by a particular aspect of another passengers behaviour. For example, someone smoking in other than a designated area and spoiling my enjoyment, be it by the pool, or an adjacent balcony etc. I am more than capable of being forthright myself, however any such approach risks a confrontation (my lifes experience in law enforcement has demonstrated this to me on more occasions than I care to remember) which may very quickly escalate. This is not a critisizm of your approach, good for you however, I feel that rather than risk being drawn into something I might not have full control over, I leave such matters to cruise ship staff, be it security of otherwise. Having said that I accept that more often than not such complaints to ships Staff may not be acted upon as we might hope and that is a Management/Staff Supervision problem.

Edited by Macadian

In this case, don't get in the pool or hot tub. Do something else.

Complain like me.

For example, a very large group of Celebrity Global Marketing passengers standing in the Solarium pool as if having a cocktail pool party.

Even after the whole Solarium area had been reserved for them on the first day of the cruise and the pool had been drained on one port day of the 5 day cruise. Another day they monopolized the pool.

So what, go somewhere else, isn't it their cruise too?

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

In this case, don't get in the pool or hot tub. Do something else.

Complain like me.

For example, a very large group of Celebrity Global Marketing passengers standing in the Solarium pool as if having a cocktail pool party.

Even after the whole Solarium area had been reserved for them on the first day of the cruise and the pool had been drained on one port day of the 5 day cruise. Another day they monopolized the pool.

So what, go somewhere else, isn't it their cruise too?

jls

I doesn't sound as if they were causing a health hazard like on our cruise.

Oh, trust me, I said to please take the children downstairs to change the diapers as other people will be laying on the lounge chairs. I know without a doubt they didn't care as they then changed the second childs diaper. AND the kicker....it was both the Mom AND nanny I spoke with.

Nest time tell the ship you will be reporting them to the CDC for unsanitary conditions. Bet that might get their attention. I might put it in writing and cc an attorney if you know one. ;)

Problem is that you may be unknowingly addressing someone with a similar 'A' Type personality or just someone who reacts badly. I sympathise with your approach but I tend to leave it to staff to deal with such issues should I be sufficiently annoyed by a particular aspect of another passengers behaviour. For example, someone smoking in other than a designated area and spoiling my enjoyment, be it by the pool, or an adjacent balcony etc. I am more than capable of being forthright myself, however any such approach risks a confrontation (my lifes experience in law enforcement has demonstrated this to me on more occassions than I care to remember) which may very quickly escalate. This is not a critisizm of your approach, good for you however, I feel that rather than risk being drawn into something I might not have full control over, I leave such matters to cruise ship staff, be it security of otherwise. Having said that I accept that more often than not such complaints to ships Staff may not be acted upon as we might hope and that is a Management/Staff Supervision problem.

I understand your point and being 6'3" and 220 pounds does also help. I was raised to try work things out for myself, rather than "tattle to the teacher" so to speak. On a cruise ship, things really cannot get that heated. I'm really not that worried. But here in Florida, I have a CCW permit.

It is not the children it is the adults that are responsible. I haven't been in a pool or hot tub on a ship in many years because of issues like that. It always seemed as if I got some kind of rash after using one so I avoid them.

.🎉🎩🍸

I doesn't sound as if they were causing a health hazard like on our cruise.

It would be a health hazard for YOU, if you got in the pool.

We can't change other people.

We can't make other people enforce what we want.

We can only go to another place.

I have a pool and know the need for chemicals when many people are using a pool. Think twice about using a crowded pool.

jls

It would be a health hazard for YOU, if you got in the pool.

We can't change other people.

We can't make other people enforce what we want.

We can only go to another place.

I have a pool and know the need for chemicals when many people are using a pool. Think twice about using a crowded pool.

jls

So with that mentality, no one should be able to enjoy a pool or hot tub on a cruise because some ADULTS with young children cannot abide by the rules of the host, Celebrity? Remove the pools and make room for more staterooms?