Babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs

20pluscruises

On one Celebrity cruise during the summer with a lot of kids, kids were knocking on cabin doors and running away from the door.

On a Carnival cruise teens were heckling a singer. No parents stopped them. The singer was not all that good but it was still disrespectful to the singer and the audience.

On a recent cruise on NCL Breakaway there were screaming toddlers in specialty restaurants two nights and the parents did nothing. Also at the whiskey bar at 9:30 pm a toddler kept screaming and scared the heck out of one of the bar servers.

Of course there are many well behaved children. The ones who are not get remembered.

I have encountered rude adults, they seem to come out on Florida sailings in December when the cruise price drops. They treat the staff like dirt.

Rude adults at one time were rude kids...

If the propensity for ignoring the rules, clearly signed by the pool, regarding the use of, the pools, hot tubs etc, and the lack of enforcement by Cruise Staff, perhaps the signs should be replaced with a Government Health Warning along the lines of " the risk of the pools being contaminated are high and that you are off your trolly to even contemplate using them". :cool:

They shouldn't be acceptable at the private community club from a health standpoint but local laws may vary in who they force to comply in private versus public pools. Or else maybe the local private community club is not following the rules in your city or county by allowing it and is ignoring regulations. For example here in Montgomery County Maryland swim diapers are not allowed by the county at our private condominium pool. We found that out when some parents challenged the rule the condo has against them to the board of directors. The rules on swimming pools are enforced by the county. The board did not want to change the rule but could not have even if they desired to change the rule. The county also sends inspectors from time to time and will shut down a pool if health and safety regulations are not followed.

This seems so crazy to me (I totally believe you, just hits me as so crazy). So in Maryland, children who are not completely potty trained are not allowed to swim anywhere but a blow up pool in their own backyard? Therefore from birth-4 (in some case) families go to the pool and their children are just not allowed in? I am just so confused by this. What about nationwide health clubs (such as Lifetime Fitness Inc.) who are in most states and are HIGHLY regulated, inspected, etc. and who definitely allow swim diapers? I just don't understand the inconsistency I guess. I'm not arguing with you, just honestly wondering.

I don't understand the problem of the mom sitting in the blow up pool with the kids???

Why do you need a blow up pool on a cruise ship?! Isn't there an entire section with water attractions for kids.

What happens if someone gets hurt slipping on the blow up pool? The water is not treated seems like a real good place for bacteria

This board is filled with folks beating the rules from Run Runners to getting to the pier at the time they specify to power strips. I would almost guarantee every cruiser has broken some noted or post cruise rule or recommendation because it didn't suit their need.

I have to say that I have never broken cruise rules that I am aware of. I don't drink or smoke, we follow the dress code, even on formal nights. I believe the number of people that break the rules are very much in the minority not the majority.

Its not just the wee and the poop. I choose the adults only pools to avoid being splashed, bombed, hit with balls, squirted with water guns, no high pitched screaming, no running, no tantrums and so I dont have to listen to inane baby talk by adults.

I have 2 grown children - I have moved on from that and when I go on holidays, I dont need to relive it!

I also have no qualms in pointing out the pool rules or asking to speak to the Deck Officer in charge.

I must agree with your post. I have also raised my children and I don't want to have to be watching someone else's running around, jumping in the pool etc. We always go to the Adults Only Pool and when on Princess will book Sanctuary which is an adult's only area.

Yay -- way to burst my bubble about going on my first cruise at the end of the month. I hope all of you baby haters wear a special unicorn tag that only poops glitter so that my toddler will know to stay away and not ruin your vacation!

I love rules and like to see them enforced, but I simply cannot understand why swim diapers are a problem when there are three-year-old kids allowed in the pool. Why is it good enough for when we are at the YMCA for swim lessons, but not a cruise ship pool?

And to further gross you out, I often take baths with my daughter -- urine is sterile, I'm over it. She has never once pooped in the tub.

I completely understand the frustration of the OP, but I would personally be more worried about the health hazard caused by people smoking than babies in an appropriate swim diaper.

I am not a baby hater! I have cruised with young children where their parents watched them and followed the rules. I have also cruised with families where they let their children run around and are jumping in hot tubs and pools. Everyone pays their fare to be on the cruise ship, however, there are some people who think rules are for others not them.

This seems so crazy to me (I totally believe you, just hits me as so crazy). So in Maryland, children who are not completely potty trained are not allowed to swim anywhere but a blow up pool in their own backyard? Therefore from birth-4 (in some case) families go to the pool and their children are just not allowed in? I am just so confused by this. What about nationwide health clubs (such as Lifetime Fitness Inc.) who are in most states and are HIGHLY regulated, inspected, etc. and who definitely allow swim diapers? I just don't understand the inconsistency I guess. I'm not arguing with you, just honestly wondering.

They are called swimmers mainly because they do not swell up or disintegrate when in the water. They do not keep "anything" inside the diaper.

From the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/protection/swim-diapers-swim-pants.html

Well if the issue really is only poop, then that makes a bit more sense ... I just have never heard of a swim diaper leaking poop. Maybe they make them better these days? Maybe my friends all take their kids swimming at non-pooping times? I don't know, I just dread going on a cruise knowing that a chunk of people dislike seeing my little one on their vacation before she even has the chance to do something wrong.

I have no pre-judgement on you or your daughter and you have every right to be on the ship. My problem is with the parents who do not look after their children or choose to ignore the rules regarding the pools and hot tubs.

I must agree with your post. I have also raised my children and I don't want to have to be watching someone else's running around, jumping in the pool etc. We always go to the Adults Only Pool and when on Princess will book Sanctuary which is an adult's only area.

I've also raised my children and now get great enjoyment from my grandchildren. I have absolutely no problem with watching well behaved children enjoying themselves on a cruise, and in my experience, the vast majority are well behaved.

You can have a separate toddler pool. And we have one. But the parents said the little ones wanted to go in the big pool with their parents and got upset they couldn't.

I am attaching a picture. The small one fenced in is for toddlers. I don't know if this will work. Bear in mind if the picture works it is winter and the pool is closed and the pool stuff is put away.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388866236.922927.jpg.0c9de80d03851c95ad47b2bf350449b3.jpg

It seems like its upside down. I don't know why or how to fix.

Edited by Charles4515

I've also raised my children and now get great enjoyment from my grandchildren. I have absolutely no problem with watching well behaved children enjoying themselves on a cruise, and in my experience, the vast majority are well behaved.

I do not have any problems with well behaved children and those being watched by their parents - it is the minority that run all over and do not follow the rules. It really isn't the children's fault but rather their parents.

Why do you need a blow up pool on a cruise ship?! Isn't there an entire section with water attractions for kids.

What happens if someone gets hurt slipping on the blow up pool? The water is not treated seems like a real good place for bacteria

not all ships have splash zones. many parents use them to double as bathtubs in the cabin as well

I had this debate with a friend over the summer. I argued that there is no such chemical, she argued that there was (this was spurred by the movie Grownups). We both did some research, asked around and called a couple people we knew that were in the pool business who advised that I was right and so far we haven't found anything anywhere advising that it actually exists. Only that if it did it would be virtually impossible for it to distinguish between urine and other chemicals already in the water. Can you imagine if it did? There would be no public pools in existence that weren't a pretty purple color. LOL :D

Sorry, but my parents had bought this chemicle that turned the water bright orange if you peed in it. It reacted with Urea & turned orange. This was in the 1970's. I'll agree I haven't seen it since about 1978, but it did exist. I'm almost afraid to ask why it doesn't anymore.

They told me my 11 month old could not be in the pool due to having a swin diaper. I said fine and got him out and removed the swim diaper. The look on the pool attendants face was priceless as we got back into the pool. :)

Disgrace. Never if you're only,kidding it's not funny.

Also, why are kids/infants in hot tubs. I see this not only on cruises. They jump in like they are in a pool. Children have no need to be in a hot tub

It is dangerous for infants and toddlers. They should never be in them. Older children under 12 should be limited to ten minutes. The high temperatures are the reason. Also for smaller children the drain covers are an issue.

Exactly!! You would think this would be another reason cruise lines would try harder to keep children out of hot tubs. If they have some ill effects from it I'm sure there is someone who will try and hold them liable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Google "health risk urine swimming pool" and the results are enough to put most people off swimming in any public pool, including those that are "adults only". Some studies indicate that 20% of adults pee in the pool! :eek:

And another 70% are lying!:eek:

It is Celebrities obligation to enforce the rules - when they don't - it is the cruisers who must demand that they do. When people violate the rules - we need to start with pool security and if they do not stop the activity then we need to take the issue up the line. If enough people complained immediately - they would take this issue more seriously. I have had a family with youngsters removed from the solarium - people were complaining but no one would approach the security people - I finally had had enough so I did and then they were asked to leave. I say complain in mass - the majority has the power.

You and I should join forces. If it gets bad enough I am the one that will say what others are thinking, but won't say themselves.

See you on the 8th on the Eclipse.

I am also not exactly understanding the difference between a cruise ship pool and a pool at home, especially after some here have clarified that there is in fact chemicals/chlorine, etc. in ship pools. If my son's swim diaper and swim pants are acceptable for my expensive, private, community club why is it not acceptable on a ship? I am not looking for a debate or 15 more posts baby-shaming, I'm just stating my thoughts. That said, rules are rules and I follow them, just as the PP stated she did as well. I don't bring my kids on Celebrity cruises anyway, mostly due to the attitude represented on this thread...I'd prefer not to be looked down upon immediately just due to my having my sons in tow.

I will say that in all my cruises with Celebrity, 3 have been during the holidays and 1 was in June, all where many many children were present, I have only been irritated ONCE by the kids on board and that was several 10-12 year olds running up the buffet on the Solstice in their wet bathing suits. Otherwise I have never witnessed any of the behavior described here on this and other threads. If anything, I have witnessed the opposite behavior by cute well-behaved children who are having a fun time (who, PP, I happen to enjoy seeing on our trips :) ). I guess I am just super lucky to have had all my irritations come from rude unruly adults and not the kids.

I don't have any facts, but my thoughts are that on a ships pool there are tons of people in it all day long. Sometimes almost a person+ every square yard. Can you imagine if 10% of the people pee in the pool how much pee that would be? Now add babies and diapers/swimmies to the mix. Disgusting! I don't think the pools at home would have nearly that many people in them, therefore a whole lot less pee and hopefully none at all.

I am also not exactly understanding the difference between a cruise ship pool and a pool at home,

I think it is called protecting the public. If you have a community accessible pool, the Board of Health in our area visits the pool and takes samples of the water. If it does not pass, it is not good for the pool club or community pool. Now it is on the radar of the Health Department.

Also, if there is a "log" floating in the pool, it is immediately closed down and given the shock treatment. The closure does not make members happy. That is why main pools are usually not open to the untrained.

You and I should join forces. If it gets bad enough I am the one that will say what others are thinking, but won't say themselves.

See you on the 8th on the Eclipse.

When they see (and I even told them) I was video taping the rule breakers AND IT STILL CONTINUED I really didn't think going any higher up the ladder was going to make a bit of difference.

Clearly, they didn't care about me or the other guests. They were more concerned with upsetting this group of 8 adults.

This story is unfortunate and typical IMO of our experiences on many ships of people taking babies into pools and hot tubs with diapers on as well as not enforcing other rules around the pool area by pool staff. We do however take a stand and if we get no response from the people round the pool we always keep taking it higher until someone does something about it