Babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs

20pluscruises

I haven't been in a public pool or hot tub in many many years. Diapers leak when wet. period. That includes adult incontinent briefs.

People who are immunocompromized are generally aware of their status and avoid bacterial soups.

It is unfortunate when staff are not willing to step up and enforce the rules.

So no one pees in the aft adult pool on HAL?:confused:

That is correct! No one dares to pee in an HAL pool. They put a special invisible chemical in the water that turns bright purple and sets off an alarm if anyone pees in the water. I know it works because I have never seen it go off.

Yay -- way to burst my bubble about going on my first cruise at the end of the month. I hope all of you baby haters wear a special unicorn tag that only poops glitter so that my toddler will know to stay away and not ruin your vacation!

I love rules and like to see them enforced, but I simply cannot understand why swim diapers are a problem when there are three-year-old kids allowed in the pool. Why is it good enough for when we are at the YMCA for swim lessons, but not a cruise ship pool?

And to further gross you out, I often take baths with my daughter -- urine is sterile, I'm over it. She has never once pooped in the tub.

I completely understand the frustration of the OP, but I would personally be more worried about the health hazard caused by people smoking than babies in an appropriate swim diaper.

Yay -- way to burst my bubble about going on my first cruise at the end of the month. I hope all of you baby haters wear a special unicorn tag that only poops glitter so that my toddler will know to stay away and not ruin your vacation!

I love rules and like to see them enforced, but I simply cannot understand why swim diapers are a problem when there are three-year-old kids allowed in the pool. Why is it good enough for when we are at the YMCA for swim lessons, but not a cruise ship pool?

And to further gross you out, I often take baths with my daughter -- urine is sterile, I'm over it. She has never once pooped in the tub.

I completely understand the frustration of the OP, but I would personally be more worried about the health hazard caused by people smoking than babies in an appropriate swim diaper.

I'm not a child hater- I have a son who cruised at both 14 months and four years. However, there's a reason swim diapers aren't allowed. Local pools are heavily chlorinated while ship pools are not. Therefore, they are a higher risk of spreading bacteria.

My son did not go in the ship pools until he was fully potty trained. He took swimming lessons at 6 months at home. The two things aren't related.

Do what you want in your own bathtub... others above are correct - rules against diapers in the pools are because the water in the pools is from the ocean only - no chemicals.... it would be highly unsanitary, even unsafe, to have babies in any sort of diapers in the pools on a cruise ship - too little volume - no chemicals - ugh!

But then, I don't frequent the pools or hot tubs much - last year on the Summit, saw eight or ten grown ups in a hot tub - drinking drink after drink for hours on end - I know they were not "holding it" - just ewwwww! However, I do like a dip in the pool when it is hot outside - and if I saw a baby diapered in a pool on the cruise ship, I'd both ask you to take the baby out and/or notify the authorities if you refused.... not to be mean, but because I don't wanna swim with baby poo or pee -

Before I get accused of being a kid hater, I've got three kids - four nieces, two nephews - We have a pool at home and my nieces and nephews swim in it in their swim diapers all the time... our pool is significantly larger than the cruise ship - and it's chlorinated...

Not about bursting anyone's bubble - only about asking you to follow the rules that are in place for a pretty darned good reason

Edited by Jborosara

That is correct! No one dares to pee in an HAL pool. They put a special invisible chemical in the water that turns bright purple and sets off an alarm if anyone pees in the water. I know it works because I have never seen it go off.

We had that in our pool. The water would turn a bright orange! Had this one neighbor kid leave a trail from one end to the other(and it was a 50" pool!)Banned her permanently. At 13 she KNEW better! She was the daughter of someone who became our state attorney general & eventually a US Senator!

Do what you want in your own bathtub... others above are correct - rules against diapers in the pools are because the water in the pools is from the ocean only - no chemicals.... it would be highly unsanitary, even unsafe, to have babies in any sort of diapers in the pools on a cruise ship - too little volume - no chemicals - ugh!

But then, I don't frequent the pools or hot tubs much - last year on the Summit, saw eight or ten grown ups in a hot tub - drinking drink after drink for hours on end - I know they were not "holding it" - just ewwwww! However, I do like a dip in the pool when it is hot outside - and if I saw a baby diapered in a pool on the cruise ship, I'd both ask you to take the baby out and/or notify the authorities if you refused.... not to be mean, but because I don't wanna swim with baby poo or pee -

Before I get accused of being a kid hater, I've got three kids - four nieces, two nephews - We have a pool at home and my nieces and nephews swim in it in their swim diapers all the time... our pool is significantly larger than the cruise ship - and it's chlorinated...

Not about bursting anyone's bubble - only about asking you to follow the rules that are in place for a pretty darned good reason

You got it!! My partner has a kidney transplant & we always get pretty nervous on cruises.

Our recent Allure cruise, a woman had her baby sitting in the shallow end of the pool. I reported it to a pool attendant . She was told of the rules, the pool attendant left, and the woman kept the child in the pool for at least another 15 minutes.

She actually picked the kid up and swished his butt in the water, like she was washing out a piece of clothing.

What you do at home in the tub is your business. What you do on a cruise ship that affects other passengers is EVERYONE'S business.

Well do make sure you leave a toilet tag on the hot tub and pool you take your little darling into so other cruisers know which ones to avoid. Whether you like the rules or not it IS the rules. If you want to go swimming with your involuntary urine/feces factory then book a vacation where swim diapers are allowed in the pool. It isn't as though the rule is a complete shock to you.

And FYI: I don't hate kids but I do abhor their parents who believe that their little petri dish is different than any other and shouldn't have to follow the rules because they are "special." I love my daughter and grand kids but if a business has a rule about children or lots of rules we RESPECT them as it is their business. If it is too restrictive for our needs we go elsewhere. No one is forcing you to cruise.

We had that in our pool. The water would turn a bright orange! Had this one neighbor kid leave a trail from one end to the other(and it was a 50" pool!)Banned her permanently. At 13 she KNEW better! She was the daughter of someone who became our state attorney general & eventually a US Senator!

I had this debate with a friend over the summer. I argued that there is no such chemical, she argued that there was (this was spurred by the movie Grownups). We both did some research, asked around and called a couple people we knew that were in the pool business who advised that I was right and so far we haven't found anything anywhere advising that it actually exists. Only that if it did it would be virtually impossible for it to distinguish between urine and other chemicals already in the water. Can you imagine if it did? There would be no public pools in existence that weren't a pretty purple color. LOL :D

Baby haters? No we hate e.coli and other parasites from feces that can contaminate pools. The diapers leak poop and pee, that is why they are not good enough.

Urine is sterile in the bladder but in the urthea and genitals it picks up bacteria. Also urine degrades the chlorine in the pool making it less effective.

Actully that is not true about sea water pools. If you think about it none would allow a pool that did not have chemicals to kill bacteria and parasites. In a fresh water pool the chlorine is added. In a sea water pool the chlorine is created by a chlorine generator that uses salt to create chlorine.

Edited by Charles4515

Baby haters? No we hate e.coli and other parasites from feces that can contaminate pools. The diapers leak poop and pee, that is why they are not good enough.

Urine is sterile in the bladder but in the urthea and genitals it picks up bacteria. Also urine degrades the chlorine in the pool making it less effective.

Agree. Another reason why I will never take a dip in the ship pools or hot tubs.

Again, salt water pools are salinated differently than the pools on a cruise ship...it's a meticulous process and a much higher concentration of salt than simple ocean water, which is what they use to fill cruise ship pools....

Besides... Why does it matter... The rule is the rule. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well do make sure you leave a toilet tag on the hot tub and pool you take your little darling into so other cruisers know which ones to avoid. Whether you like the rules or not it IS the rules. If you want to go swimming with your involuntary urine/feces factory then book a vacation where swim diapers are allowed in the pool. It isn't as though the rule is a complete shock to you.

What part of "I love rules and like to see them enforced" didn't you understand? I am perfectly happy to follow them myself. My problem is the disgust with which swim diapers are treated when "potty trained" 3- through 10-year-olds are treated as completely trustworthy to not pee in a pool.

There are smoking sections and a blow up pool for the children in diapers. I choose to stay out of both. And the swim diapers are proven to not work.

What part of "I love rules and like to see them enforced" didn't you understand? I am perfectly happy to follow them myself. My problem is the disgust with which swim diapers are treated when "potty trained" 3- through 10-year-olds are treated as completely trustworthy to not pee in a pool.

I don't think it is as much peeing in the pool, as it is pooping that is the bigger problem. Even though, living in a retirement community, we have a few problems with this in our pools from adults (pool has to be closed for two days after an accident), most over the age of three (if potty trained) have control and will jump out of the pool to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately those babies not potty trained have not learned to control their bowels and the swim diapers don't hold all the poo in. Sorry, I tried to say this as delicately as I could; I hope I didn't gross anyone out.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If you check the CDC it's not the urine that is the cause of HEALTH HAZARD. It's babies in diapers where it takes time (diaper leakage) to see that they have done something other than tinkle.

There is a reason there are rules posted every few feet in and around the pool area. It is a HEALTH HAZARD!!!

Well if the issue really is only poop, then that makes a bit more sense ... I just have never heard of a swim diaper leaking poop. Maybe they make them better these days? Maybe my friends all take their kids swimming at non-pooping times? I don't know, I just dread going on a cruise knowing that a chunk of people dislike seeing my little one on their vacation before she even has the chance to do something wrong.

Edited by auesar

It's why if I do get in a cruise ship pool, it is never the family one....not even on X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, on my very recent cruise once the parents with kids in diapers were asked to get out of the childrens pool...they went to the adult pool!!!! It was non stop all day long. They would casually walk from childrens pool, to adult pool, to the hot tubs. They were so blatant and rude that I am oh so close to posting pictures of their ugly mugs. Swimmers beware!!!

Well if the issue really is only poop, then that makes a bit more sense ... I just have never heard of a swim diaper leaking poop. Maybe they make them better these days? Maybe my friends all take their kids swimming at non-pooping times? I don't know, I just dread going on a cruise knowing that a chunk of people dislike seeing my little one on their vacation before she even has the chance to do something wrong.

Unless the diaper is super glued to their leg and waist...water will get in to the diaper, the child sits in wading part of the pool and any bacteria is going to squish out of the sides of the diaper along with the water.

It's not the little ones they dislike. They dislike the parents of the little ones breaking the rules and causing a health hazard.

I think if anyone ever invents a swim diaper that the CDC will approve as not having any leakage, all will be good. Please don't think that a lot of people will dislike seeing your little one on her vacation; I think that is far from the truth. Your little girl won't do anything wrong, unfortunately it is us parents that make the mistakes. You might want to bring your own blow-up pool, which you can use for her to play in on the pool deck and can use it to give her baths in and, if you have a balcony, play in it there.

A little pool was already on my list to use as a bath, and I'm sure we can swim in the ocean plenty -- we have five ports of call on a seven-day cruise. Oh well, at least we killed the racial not-so-undertones of the thread.