HDMI slots on TV to charge Kindle

busybee49

Hi

I will be on the Eclipse in a couple of weeks and will be taking my Kindle with me. I usually charge it at home in one of the HDMI slots in my Samsung TV. Will I be able to do this on board the Eclipse?

I don't think the kindle recharges or even connects to an hdmi slot...I think you mean USB slot. I would not count on the ships TVs to have a working USB slot and you probably wouldn't be able to get to it if it were there. Take your Kindle charger with you....the ships all have both 110v and 220v outlets. You can use most any USB charger with a kindle so if you can't find yours, just buy a new one..it doesn't have to be the amazon kindle charger.

It's been a couple of years since we were on the Solstice ( a sister ship) but I do not recall the tv having side connection access. The tv was flush mounted to the wall. It may have been movable, but I don't remember that either. Must have been a good cruise. :)

Even if there is a side HDMI, you never know if it will be a powered jack, or even if it is active. Play it safe and take the charger.

Mike.

One can pick a power point adapter with a USB connection for a relatively small cost at most quality electrical stores. If you get one for a European outlet or an adaptor from a UK plus to a European socket you can use your existing charger. Better still if you ensure your Kindle is fully charged when you arrive on board it may well last you your whole trip without needing charging

Edited by Beanb41

we are on the Eclipse right now. The flatscreen in our stateroom is mounted on the wall but the mounting brackets allow the TV to swing away from the wall to expose all the connections (1 side HDMI, 1 side composite video, several more connections in the back) but none of them will power the Kindle.

Like the previous poster(s) said, I doubt any of them would recharge a Kindle (usually that requires a USB port which is not on the flatscreen). Best thing to do is to buy a USB converter that plugs into a standard wall socket that allows you to connect the Kindle USB cord to for recharging.

We own a couple of Kindles (love the things) but have no clue how you would recharge them on a HDMI port. The normal Kindle charging cord ends with a USB jack and can be charged by plugging into nearly any computer. Another option is to purchase a charger/converter which simply plugs into any outlet. They sell those things on E-bay for as little as $3.25.

Hank

USB wall chargers can be found at just about any drug store, grocery store, or mass merchant (Target, Wall Mart, etc) for $5 to $10. They're very small and easy to carry. Why risk it.

if you're worried about using up one of the electrical outlets you'd need for other things then make sure your USB wall charger is 220V compatible (most are) and also buy a USA to Euro style plug adaptor for another $5 to $10 although you might have to go online or to get one at a decent price.

Thanks for all your input.

I must have been tired last night.

I should have said USB port. My Kindle has a lead which I plug into the side of my TV into a USB port and then it charges while the TV is on. I don't actually have anything else to charge it with.

I suppose if I turn it off when not in use and make sure I don't leave it in sleep mode it may last for 2 weeks.

I should have said USB port. My Kindle has a lead which I plug into the side of my TV into a USB port and then it charges while the TV is on. I don't actually have anything else to charge it with.

I suppose if I turn it off when not in use and make sure I don't leave it in sleep mode it may last for 2 weeks.

Turn off the Wi-Fi. That will save battery life.

Also make sure you have all the books downloaded that you need. The Internet is so slow on the ships, that it would cost you a fortune in Internet minutes to download via the ships wireless connection, which can be slow at best, dire or nonexistent.

Yes, I intend to download the books before I set sail and there will be no need to turn the wifi on during the cruise.

I have now managed to find a plug on another device that will fit on to the end of the Kindle usb lead, so all is solved.

I've just got to choose some more books to read and get them downloaded.

Miami here we come!

Turn off the Wi-Fi. That will save battery life.

Also make sure you have all the books downloaded that you need. The Internet is so slow on the ships, that it would cost you a fortune in Internet minutes to download via the ships wireless connection, which can be slow at best, dire or nonexistent.

I understand that you meant a USB port. And the fact is that you can buy these small usb power ports that plug into a wall outlet all over for $5 to $10. As I've said I see them near the check out at drug stores now for $5. Amazon has tons of them for sale in that price range of you want to go mail order:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Ausb+charger%2Ci%3Aelectronics&keywords=usb+charger&ie=UTF8&qid=1388406054 These USB chargers have become very common and popular as they are used to supply power for charging cords for many small electronics these days including most cell phones, many cameras, ebooks, tablets, etc.

You can buy the official Amazon Kindle wall plug too but it runs around $20 and is no different from the above as far as function.

And if you want a Euro plug version to plug into the ship's 220V outlet you can buy one with a Euro Plug on it, or an adaptor for a North American style plug

Edited by Lsimon