Power strips not allowed?

Jborosara

Saw on another thread folks talking about breaking rules by bringing a power strip...is this truly not allowed?

I was wondering the same - I've always seen a powerstrip on the "must bring" lists for your cruise. I was planning on bringing either a powerstrip or outlet expander (but worried whether there is room for that in the outlet area by the desk on the Summit).

I was wondering the same - I've always seen a powerstrip on the "must bring" lists for your cruise. I was planning on bringing either a powerstrip or outlet expander (but worried whether there is room for that in the outlet area by the desk on the Summit).

I always travel with a grounded three way plug or a small belkin power strip which gives me some usb charging ports. Never had a problem. Just make sure that you plug any three way or power strip into a 110V outlet....unless it's marked safe for 220/240V. Remember, just because it fits, doesn't mean it's safe.

To amplify on that a little: What you don't want to do is to use a 220/240V outlet with a european to US adapter plug and then plug in a three way or power strip/device that doesn't handle 220/240V safely. Yes it works together physically...you can plug things in....but you run a real risk of serious injury if you try to do this.

I had no problem bringing a power strip on the Century in Oct. There was only ONE outlet in the entire room (and this was in a SUITE)! In fact, the room steward brought in an ugly industrial yellow extension cord, strung across the room, so I could plug in the CPAP. :eek:

I always travel with a grounded three way plug or a small belkin power strip which gives me some usb charging ports. Never had a problem. Just make sure that you plug any three way or power strip into a 110V outlet....unless it's marked safe for 220/240V. Remember, just because it fits, doesn't mean it's safe.

To amplify on that a little: What you don't want to do is to use a 220/240V outlet with a european to US adapter plug and then plug in a three way or power strip/device that doesn't handle 220/240V safely. Yes it works together physically...you can plug things in....but you run a real risk of serious injury if you try to do this.

Thanks for the useful tip! All of our stuff is 110V and I plan to stick exclusively with those. I thought about buying a European to US converter, but decided against it. You just reinforced my decision to just leave the 220v outlets alone. :-)

Thanks for the useful tip! All of our stuff is 110V and I plan to stick exclusively with those. I thought about buying a European to US converter, but decided against it. You just reinforced my decision to just leave the 220v outlets alone. :-)

The converter comes in handy if you are staying in a European hotel before your cruise. We always have one with us.

Dave

Our traveling companion had his power strip confiscated on Allure of the Seas on our cruise last month. Had to go to the naughty room to retrieve his luggage and they kept the strip until the last evening. So I guess it's against RCCL rules.

We always use our Belkin. 3 outlet mini travel swivel charger surge protector with dual HP ports. More than enough to keep 2 IPads and cell phones and cameras charged. No dangling cords. Never been confiscated.

Only $10.60 today at Amazon.

There is a difference between a converter and an adapter.

An adapter just changes the physical outlet from two round pins to one with flat pins so that you can use a US style plug in a 220V outlet. That's fine for a device that is rated for both 110 and 220V...and this is what's most commonly sold and used. It does not convert 220V, it only converts the configuration of the plugs.

example: http://www.amazon.com/OREI-Grounded-Universal-Adapter-Germany/dp/B004SY5O5K/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1388427697&sr=8-16&keywords=european+to+us+adapter

A converter changes does the same physical thing as an adapter, but the output on the US plug side is 110V....internally, it changes the voltage from 220v to 110V. In this case, you can plug any 110V electrical appliance in.

example: http://www.amazon.com/Simran-International-Converter-Countries-SM-1875/dp/B000W91XBO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1388427494&sr=8-4&keywords=220+v+converter

There is a difference between a converter and an adapter.

An adapter just changes the physical outlet from two round pins to one with flat pins so that you can use a US style plug in a 220V outlet. That's fine for a device that is rated for both 110 and 220V...and this is what's most commonly sold and used. It does not convert 220V, it only converts the configuration of the plugs.

example: http://www.amazon.com/OREI-Grounded-Universal-Adapter-Germany/dp/B004SY5O5K/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1388427697&sr=8-16&keywords=european+to+us+adapter

A converter changes does the same physical thing as an adapter, but the output on the US plug side is 110V....internally, it changes the voltage from 220v to 110V. In this case, you can plug any 110V electrical appliance in.

example: http://www.amazon.com/Simran-International-Converter-Countries-SM-1875/dp/B000W91XBO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1388427494&sr=8-4&keywords=220+v+converter

I learned something - thanks! :)

We always use our Belkin. 3 outlet mini travel swivel charger surge protector with dual HP ports. More than enough to keep 2 IPads and cell phones and cameras charged. No dangling cords. Never been confiscated.

Only $10.60 today at Amazon.

This looks wonderful. I'm going to buy the 2.1 amp version for 19.99 with free shipping. The 10.60 one was not eligible for prime so with shipping was almost as much as the 2.1. Thanks for sharing this! We've got an ipad, kindle, 2 cell phones, plus I'll need to use the hairdryer and curling iron occasionally.

This looks wonderful. I'm going to buy the 2.1 amp version for 19.99 with free shipping. The 10.60 one was not eligible for prime so with shipping was almost as much as the 2.1. Thanks for sharing this! We've got an ipad, kindle, 2 cell phones, plus I'll need to use the hairdryer and curling iron occasionally.

We have had one like this for several years, and have never had a problem getting it on any ship/cruise line.

It's great!

Saw on another thread folks talking about breaking rules by bringing a power strip...is this truly not allowed?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We brought a power strip on our last Celebrity cruise and never had an issue.

The one we took was very handy, 3 outlets and 1 USB port in a very compact design.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018MEBNG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by JLightning11

I have the Belkin Mini Surge Protector with swivel plug and USB ports and they have never taken mine...just used it on the Reflection. I love it because it takes very little space and I just pack it with the rest of my chargers.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Travel-Charger-Protector/dp/B0016IXEWG

I have the Belkin Mini Surge Protector with swivel plug and USB ports and they have never taken mine...just used it on the Reflection. I love it because it takes very little space and I just pack it with the rest of my chargers.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Travel-Charger-Protector/dp/B0016IXEWG

These are great but you should spend a couple dollars more and go with the 2.1 amp/10 watt model.

I'm typically a rule follower...but need outlets for devices...so gonna chance it!

Rather than chancing it with a power strip, why not get a Belkin mini (see islandgirlfan's post above)? I used to take a power strip, but now I take the Belkin. I also take a couple of short extension cords so that I don't take up all the space on the Belkin with one block charger if I need to charge a few things at once.

http://www.amazon.com/1-Foot-Extension-Power-Cable-5-Pack/dp/B000CRFOMK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388435185&sr=1-1&keywords=6+inch+extension+cord

These are great but you should spend a couple dollars more and go with the 2.1 amp/10 watt model.

I bought mine two years ago and not planning to upgrade. I don't need to charge much, so this one suits me fine. The reason I initially bought it was because we went to using just carry on suitcases and the big power strip didn't work.

Rather than chancing it with a power strip, why not get a Belkin mini (see islandgirlfan's post above)? I used to take a power strip, but now I take the Belkin. I also take a couple of short extension cords so that I don't take up all the space on the Belkin with one block charger if I need to charge a few things at once.

http://www.amazon.com/1-Foot-Extension-Power-Cable-5-Pack/dp/B000CRFOMK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388435185&sr=1-1&keywords=6+inch+extension+cord

The Belkin serves the purpose well, doesn't it?! :) We charge things at different times, so we have never needed anything more than the cords that go with the particular item. It looks like our next purchase is going to be an i-Pad mini....my Nook HD seems to hack off the people working the Apple i-Lounge every time I go to buy net time. :eek:

I bought mine two years ago and not planning to upgrade. I don't need to charge much, so this one suits me fine. The reason I initially bought it was because we went to using just carry on suitcases and the big power strip didn't work:

The two models are identical except for amp and wattage. The 2.1 amp model gives more power especially handy if charging iPhones and iPads.

I always have a power strip in my notebook bag and never had problems - neither on any EU or US flight or cruise. It is on my must-have list cause cabins or hotel rooms always seem to be short on outlets or they are far away from where I need them - or both :-)

No one confiscated mine.

I used it continuously on Eclipse, but had no need on Infinity, there seemed to be more sockets in our FV cabin.

Our power strip was confiscated on our Nov. 2013 Eclipse cruise. According to a list from ship's security, power strips are a no-no, so away it went. Shortly after boarding, we went to guest services, said we needed the power strip for CPAP, and got it back with no further problems.