Southwest Airlines and luggage valet

kdpatte

Can anyone tell me how luggage valet works with Southwest Airlines. Since there is no seat assignment and it is first come for serve for seat assignment where does Luggage Valet put you on this list?

Southwest does not have seat assignments. You board in order of your check-in number and choose any open seat.

If you did not purchase Early Bird check-in, your check-in number would be determined by when the ship checked you in as part of luggage valet. This can start no earlier than 24 hours before the flight.

If you do purchase Early Bird check-in, then your check-in number is determined by your Early Bird purchase date.

Edited by clarea

So if we put our luggage out the night before and sign up for the luggage valet do they typically check them in and do that with Southwest the night before or the morning of the flight?

In addition to what Bob said above....

When you sign up for Luggage Valet you give them your flight information and Record Locator number. Ship's personnel checks you in the last day and your luggage tags and boarding passes are delivered to your stateroom on the last night. You put your luggage outside your stateroom the night before disembarking and don't see it until you arrive at your home airport.

So if we put our luggage out the night before and sign up for the luggage valet do they typically check them in and do that with Southwest the night before or the morning of the flight?

The luggage valet program only is available at Port Everglades (FLL) and Miami, and Southwest is a participating airline at both. The luggage is picked up outside your room the night before and checked in the morning of your flight. Your flights also have to depart between 11:30 AM and 11:59 PM from FLL and 2:00 PM and 11:59 PM from Miami. Earlier flights cannot be accommodated with this program. Also the service must be selected typically by noon on Day 5 through Guest Services. Verify this on board.

You would still check in 24 hours in advance as usual with Southwest to get your boarding line assignment. You can do this from the ship via their computers. As mentioned there are not seat assignments with Southwest and when you check in has nothing to do with the luggage valet program guidelines.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I read a cautionary tale on another CC board that if you're booking a Southwest flight that has an AirTran leg, you may get charged luggage fees. I cannot personally verify this but after reading it, I changed my flight to exclude the original AirTran leg.

I read a cautionary tale on another CC board that if you're booking a Southwest flight that has an AirTran leg, you may get charged luggage fees. I cannot personally verify this but after reading it, I changed my flight to exclude the original AirTran leg.

It's a strange situation with Southwest/Airtran now. Supposed to be fully integrated by the end of 2014. Until then, if you book the Airtran flight on Southwest's website, there are no luggage fees. However, like you say, the Royal people who handle Luggage Valet may not know this, so you have to be prepared to argue your case.

I believe DOT has rules regarding fees on baggage fees for codeshare flights. IIRC the ticketing carrier's fee schedule applies for the entire trip, assuming domestic.

From the southwest website:

The Marketing Carrier's fees will apply to all aspects of the travel with one exception. 1st and 2nd checked bag fees will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment (weight and size restrictions still apply).

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=network_connectivity_policies&question=netconpol02

I believe DOT has rules regarding fees on baggage fees for codeshare flights. IIRC the ticketing carrier's fee schedule applies for the entire trip, assuming domestic.

From the southwest website:

The Marketing Carrier's fees will apply to all aspects of the travel with one exception. 1st and 2nd checked bag fees will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment (weight and size restrictions still apply).

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=network_connectivity_policies&question=netconpol02

I was referring to the cruise line may charge the baggage fees in error and I didn't know if I would be able to convince them otherwise. I was actually able to change flights to an hour earlier at a very small increase in fare. Low stress disembarking is a must. :D

I was referring to the cruise line may charge the baggage fees in error and I didn't know if I would be able to convince them otherwise. I was actually able to change flights to an hour earlier at a very small increase in fare. Low stress disembarking is a must. :D

When in doubt, print the page from southwest.com (or find the baggage fee info that's mandated by DOT and is usually contained/linked to in your confirmation e-mail from the airline).

I ran into similar issues with Princess and their equivalent program - I was flying in first class with 3 free bags a person but got charged for a 1st and 2nd bag for both myself and DW. Got the run around on the ship, and ended up getting it refunded by the home office about a month later. From that I learned to carry both a copy of the itinerary AND the baggage fee details if I want to do a luggage valet type program in the future (although not available at SJU so I didn't have to worry about it last cruise and likely ditto for my next trip). But, it was totally worth it and I'd happily use the luggage valet service if available. Paper is cheap (if printed at home) and the service is well worth it imho!

When in doubt, print the page from southwest.com (or find the baggage fee info that's mandated by DOT and is usually contained/linked to in your confirmation e-mail from the airline).

I ran into similar issues with Princess and their equivalent program - I was flying in first class with 3 free bags a person but got charged for a 1st and 2nd bag for both myself and DW. Got the run around on the ship, and ended up getting it refunded by the home office about a month later. From that I learned to carry both a copy of the itinerary AND the baggage fee details if I want to do a luggage valet type program in the future (although not available at SJU so I didn't have to worry about it last cruise and likely ditto for my next trip). But, it was totally worth it and I'd happily use the luggage valet service if available. Paper is cheap (if printed at home) and the service is well worth it imho!

Thanks. If I end up on Airtran again, I'll bring it along and yes Luggage Valet is absolutely worth it.

The luggage valet program only is available at Port Everglades (FLL) and Miami, and Southwest is a participating airline at both. The luggage is picked up outside your room the night before and checked in the morning of your flight. Your flights also have to depart between 11:30 AM and 11:59 PM from FLL and 2:00 PM and 11:59 PM from Miami. Earlier flights cannot be accommodated with this program. Also the service must be selected typically by noon on Day 5 through Guest Services. Verify this on board.

You would still check in 24 hours in advance as usual with Southwest to get your boarding line assignment. You can do this from the ship via their computers. As mentioned there are not seat assignments with Southwest and when you check in has nothing to do with the luggage valet program guidelines.

Do you know when they stopped doing luggage valet between Port Canaveral and MCO?

I used luggage Valet on my Oct Allure cruise and it was great not to have to find our luggage in the terminal, nor carry it to the airport at all. We waited in one of the departure lounges (They say you have to wait until after a prescribed time), and then exited the ship and went through customs. Very easy.

We flew Southwest. I did the Early Bird check in so I did not have to worry about a B or C boarding group. But if you are worried about your boarding group, just check in exactly 24 hours before departure on the ship using their computers. That way you get a low boarding number.

Since it was $20 a person and we had only two bags, I just did the luggage valet for myself, and printed her boarding pass at the airport (the ship's printers were down).

Just left Freedom 12/22. Luggage valet was definitely offered and definitely for Southwest. :)

Offshoot question...what is the earliest flight allowed for Luggage Valet out of Canaveral? (not necessarily with SW)

Edited by mollyeilis

Ship's personnel checks you in the last day and your luggage tags and boarding passes are delivered to your stateroom

I am a little confused here with the conflicting reports. Does the ship's personnel check you in 24 hours ahead of time or do you still need to pay for internet time and do it yourself or wait until you get to the airport and you're stuck in the back of group C?

I am a little confused here with the conflicting reports. Does the ship's personnel check you in 24 hours ahead of time or do you still need to pay for internet time and do it yourself or wait until you get to the airport and you're stuck in the back of group C?

FWIW - we just used Luggage Direct with Southwest on a HAL ship. The ship took care of check-in and we ended up in Group B. No need for us to check in as well as we probably wouldn't have done much better.

Offshoot question...what is the earliest flight allowed for Luggage Valet out of Canaveral? (not necessarily with SW)

Last time I checked it was 12:30pm. However, it may have changed and they can tell you at Guest Services.

Yes, they will check you in with Luggage Valet but not necessarily 24 hours in advance. Many prefer checking in themselves 24 hours ahead in order to get a higher boarding position. If you let them check you in, you're relying on their timing. If you do it yourself, then it's done and they just print the boarding pass for you. We use Early Bird check-in so they're also just printing the boarding pass.

Edited by Big_G

It is also available at Port Canaveral for MCO flights.

FWIW - we just used Luggage Direct with Southwest on a HAL ship. The ship took care of check-in and we ended up in Group B. No need for us to check in as well as we probably wouldn't have done much better.
Thanks for the clarification.....with four of us having a total of 7 or 8 bags for our B2B this service seems to be perfect. Especially since two in our party are in their 70's and 80's.

Thanks for the clarification.....with four of us having a total of 7 or 8 bags for our B2B this service seems to be perfect. Especially since two in our party are in their 70's and 80's.

It works great until your flight is canceled! We were in the plane with seatbelts fastened when they made us get off! Thankfully we were able to claim our luggage but I guess they can't leave your luggage on the plane if you aren't flying with it. The good news was we didn't have to claim it at the port so we got at least $10 worth.:)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

Yes, they will check you in with Luggage Valet but not necessarily 24 hours in advance. Many prefer checking in themselves 24 hours ahead in order to get a higher boarding position. If you let them check you in, you're relying on their timing. If you do it yourself, then it's done and they just print the boarding pass for you. We use Early Bird check-in so they're also just printing the boarding pass.

Just a head's up, if you check yourself in BEFORE the ship does your boarding pass, it may kick out your Luggage Valet and your bags will not be sent ahead. I was told this on two different occasions from two different ships. I use Luggage Valet whenever possible and love it!