Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Does that sound feasible

Yes, it does! The only thing I would be worried about is the tendency to delays on the german railways network, unfortunately. In Wismar the station is right next to the city center, btw.

Anni,

Thanks for all your advice on this thread, it's been so valuable to someone like us who are planning a trip to the area. I was wondering if I could run my little plan past you to make sure I haven't inadvertently worked out something silly. The plan is to visit Schwerin, and then come back and spend some time in Warnemunde (it's our first visit to the area).

We're going to be in Warnemunde on the Norwegian Star from 7:30am to 10pm, so a nice long day. However we're the type of folks that like to get out early and then come back and laze around the ship (or at least wander around near to the port and then laze around the ship!).

So noting that the Mecklenburg lander card won't work before 9am (we're there on Wednesday 25th May) but there's a direct train from Rostock to Schwerin at 9:07. So my idea is to buy a separate one way ticket each for a couple of Euros to take us from Warnemunde to Rostock in time to catch the 9:07, and then use the lander card for the rest of the day?

Does that sound feasible? I figure that way we'll make up two hours by not having to wait till the 11:07, which seems worth it for less than 5 euros.

Also depending on the weather on the day, we might decide to visit Schwerin for a couple of hours and then head onto Wismar before going back to the ship since we're only going to be about half an hour away by train from there while at Schwerin. Are both towns easily walkable from the train stations, or will we need to hop on a bus/tram at the other end of each?

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian, thank you for your appreciation. Over the past six years I have put a lot of time and effort into the web site and researching the correct answers to questions but maybe it is time I retired and let someone else take over:rolleyes:

It is the perfect plan and of course the 9:07 is the one to take when your ship arrives early enough. I only mentioned the 11:07 to the OP as the earliest possible because they are with Celebrity who mostly do not dock before 9:30.

From either station it is an easy, interesting walk to the centre, Wismar a bit closer than Schwerin. My web page on each town gives detailed routes.

In Schwerin if you finish your visit in the town centre, Marienplatz, the #1 tram will take you back to the station, only two stops. There are ticket machines on the tram, the ticket you require is a Kurzstreke (short journey) and the fare is 1.50 euro.

I travel on DB all the time, I do not have a car, and find that the delays are mostly on the long distance trains although no worse than UK. I make the journey between Rostock and Schwerin regularly and have never had more than a few minutes delay except in very bad winter weather. In any case it is a good idea to get back to Warnemunde in time to have a walk around this lovely little town.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

In 2013, service increased on afternoons during summer (and cruise) season with departures every 7 to 8 minutes, meanwhile service increased also in the morning for 1 hour on weekdays with departures every 7 to 8 minutes; each in both directions of course;

I was quoting times for the date given by 'basil1', July 3rd 2016. In fact on Sundays the service is every 30 mins until 8:33. In the 2016 timetable the increased frequency is only up to 7:48 on weekdays, presumably for commuters, so would not affect cruise passengers.

Anni

Hi Brian, thank you for your appreciation. Over the past six years I have put a lot of time and effort into the web site and researching the correct answers to questions but maybe it is time I retired and let someone else take over:rolleyes:

It is the perfect plan and of course the 9:07 is the one to take when your ship arrives early enough. I only mentioned the 11:07 to the OP as the earliest possible because they are with Celebrity who mostly do not dock before 9:30.

From either station it is an easy, interesting walk to the centre, Wismar a bit closer than Schwerin. My web page on each town gives detailed routes.

In Schwerin if you finish your visit in the town centre, Marienplatz, the #1 tram will take you back to the station, only two stops. There are ticket machines on the tram, the ticket you require is a Kurzstreke (short journey) and the fare is 1.50 euro.

I travel on DB all the time, I do not have a car, and find that the delays are mostly on the long distance trains although no worse than UK. I make the journey between Rostock and Schwerin regularly and have never had more than a few minutes delay except in very bad winter weather. In any case it is a good idea to get back to Warnemunde in time to have a walk around this lovely little town.

Anni

Thanks Anni, much appreciated!

Can we buy this ticket at the Schwerin Hbf station?

Hi, I am sorry but i am not sure which ticket you are referring to.

I thought you were asking a question about the Rostock Gruppenkarte which you will need when you board the bus at the port and which is valid in the Rostock/Warnemunde area.

A day ticket in Schwerin is not really necessary, everything is within walking distance. If you do take a tram between the station and the town centre (not the castle) it is only two stops and a day ticket is uneconomical. Tickets are available from the machine either at the stop or on the tram.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

I hope you don't mind answering a non-cruise question.

We'll be in Germany in September (starting in Munich for a couple of days of Oktoberfest and then renting a van (6people) and driving around for a couple of weeks, ending in Berlin. We'd like to get SIM cards for our iPhones. Mostly for data to use the maps/GP's features, post on Facebook, and look up lodging & attractions. We may call a little if my DH and I get separated. Is there someplace at the Munich arrival terminal where I can get the SIM cards? We have a 90 minute layover in Frankfurt but I'm not sure there would be time to get the cards there.

We'll also be in Germany in 2017 for a Reformation tour with our church and will want to reactivate the card with new data for that trip.

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

I hope you don't mind answering a non-cruise question.

If you are a EU member state citizen, it could be cheaper and even easier for you to use your phone or whatsoever with your native country SIM card. Just ask your provider, since roaming charges dropped recently and will be dropped to zero next year. Otherwise you will find countless of stores where you can get SIM cards in Germany - at least as a german citizen. You may find the right answers for especially yourself by googling f.e.: 'get sim card in germany' ...

We are U.S. Citizens so we'll need an in country SIM card. Our provider does have our phones unlocked to allow a different card to be installed.

Hi, as far as I am aware your citizenship does not matter. No one has ever asked me that question when I have bought a pre-paid SIM card or when I have topped it up. I have Vodophone cards for Germany, England and Australia and swap them about as I travel using the German card for the whole of Europe.

I am not very Tech savvy but it seems to work.

Happy travelling :)

Anni

Anni,

Yes, I was confused:o thanks so much for the clarification! This makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for all your help. You are greatly appreciated.

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

There seems to be a bit of confusion over the tickets, the two types are for entirely different journeys. The Lander ticket is used to travel beyond Rostock eg to Schwerin and the local transport ticket is for use in the Rostock/Warnemunde area.

For instance if you decide to travel to Schwerin first and to have a look around Rostock on your way back to Warnemunde you would buy a Lander ticket for the journey from Warnemunde to Schwerin and back to Rostock main station, a single local transport ticket for the journey on the tram from the main station to the city and a single local transport ticket for the return journey from the city by tram and train to Warnemunde. If however you decided to return straight from Schwerin to Warnemunde that would be covered by your Lander ticket.

Anni

Thank you. I had been wondering.. if the tram into Rostock is only 5 minutes why it wouldn't be walkable. Glad to hear that it is, and sounds like a nice walk as well.

Sorry that I interfere slightly here; and yes, it can be confusing, since we do have many different options: If your ship is arriving at Warnemunde, you can find the train station after a short walking distance (some few minutes longer if you need to avoid the stairs under the tunnel), and you will find ticket machines there, just switch to your language.

The Lander ticket in your case is called 'Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket' here:

DE

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/regio/meckpomm/mecklenburg-vorpommern-ticket.shtml

US

http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/offers/national/regional/laender-tickets/mecklenburg-western-pomerania-ticket.shtml

Then take the 'S-Bahn' to Rostock central station (every 10 mins or so), change to Schwerin (up to 2 departs per hour) and take the train back to Rostock. Later you can take the 'S-Bahn' back to Warnemunde. For these 4 train trips you would only need the 'Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket', since it is valid on the 'S-Bahn', too; but not on the trams and busses.

I find Rostock walkable, from central station I need about 10-15 mins to city center with all the historical buildings, shopping and restaurants. Much less stress compared to tram and ticketing issues. If you purchase local tickets in Rostock, you must stamp them, btw.

Please be aware of possible train service interruptions due to construction.

After spending a morning at Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg., we would like to see some of the city. Are taxi drivers in Hamburg amenable to driving around for a look at the city before dropping us off back at the ship? We are not looking for a guide, just a driver who will point sights out. What kind of a price should we expect per hour in Hamburg?

After spending a morning at Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg., we would like to see some of the city. Are taxi drivers in Hamburg amenable to driving around for a look at the city before dropping us off back at the ship? We are not looking for a guide, just a driver who will point sights out. What kind of a price should we expect per hour in Hamburg?

Please see my answer in your 'Hamburg Taxi Tour' topic

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be some confusion on another thread as to which tickets are valid where and the system of inspection so, as the fine ( to say nothing of the embarrassment:o) for having the wrong ticket could really spoil your day (40€ per person), I will try to clarify.

Warnemünde/Rostock only - Local single tickets each way valid for whole journey on both train and tram.

Warnemünde/Rostock and Bad Doberan - VVW 3-Zone Day ticket (per person 8€, Group up to 5 persons 24€) valid on bus, tram, s-bahn plus RB between Bad Doberan and Rostock.

Warnemünde/Rostock to Schwerin, Wismar, Stralsund etc. - Mecklenburg Lander Day ticket (23€ for 1 person plus 4€ for each additional person, max 5) valid on all s-bahn, RE and RB (red trains) throughout Mecklenburg, not valid on buses or trams. You will also need single local tickets if the journey begins before 9am or for the tram between the main station and the city centre if you want to spend time in Rostock City.

On the RE and RB trains the ticket will be checked by the inspector who is part of the train crew. The Lander ticket does not need to be validated but it must be signed if it was bought on the day or you must produce the nominated form of ID if you bought it on-line..

On the local bus, tram and s-bahn, where there is only a driver, the 'trust' system operates. Tickets are randomly checked by roving inspectors working in two's and three's, dressed like ordinary members of the public, who hop on and off anywhere and you are only aware of their presence when they hold up their ID and say 'Fahrschine, bitte'. The driver then does not release the doors until they have inspected every ticket.

Sneaky:rolleyes:! And they are tough too, I speak from bitter experience as they fined me 40€ for simply failing to validate my ticket.

So traveller beware - have the right ticket and validate local area tickets in the little yellow box either on the train platform or inside the bus/tram at the start of the day. You need only do this once.

Hope this is clear. you can find more info, in English, on

http://www.verkehrsverbund-warnow.de/tickets-fares/tickets.html

or on the tickets page of my web site.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

We are going to do the Train/Ferry from Hamburg to Copenhagen. After the train boards the ferry, I assume everyone leaves the train and goes upstairs to the ferry. I assume we would leave our luggage on the train when we go upstairs to the ferry. Do we need to be concerned about the safety of our luggage?

Alan

Hi Anni

I have been following your thread and thought I had everything sorted out for our visit but our port has been changed from Warnemunde to LP 31 in Rostock , which does not seem to be in Rostock at all :-(

Could you suggest the best way to get from here to the Molli train please?

Thank you

Alun

We are going to do the Train/Ferry from Hamburg to Copenhagen. After the train boards the ferry, I assume everyone leaves the train and goes upstairs to the ferry. I assume we would leave our luggage on the train when we go upstairs to the ferry. Do we need to be concerned about the safety of our luggage?

Alan

Hi, no need for concern at all. Just before you reach the ferry there will be an announcement to say that everything can be left on the train as it is locked for the duration of the crossing. As well as luggage many people leave coats etc. on their seats. It is quite safe.

Anni

Hi Anni

I have been following your thread and thought I had everything sorted out for our visit but our port has been changed from Warnemunde to LP 31 in Rostock , which does not seem to be in Rostock at all :-(

Could you suggest the best way to get from here to the Molli train please?

Thank you

Alun

Hi, I have added a page on my web site for cruisers berthing in LP 31 and LP 41.

These berths are also in Rostock but in the Overseas Port on the other side of the river.

You can either take the bus to the nearest rail station, Lutten Klein, the s-Bahn to Rostock main station and the RB train to Bad Doberan or a taxi direct to the main station and then the train to Bad Doberan.

For full details, time tables etc, see the LP31/LP41 and Bad Doberan pages on the web site. The ticket which you need is the same, 3 zone VVW day ticket.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Hi, no need for concern at all. Just before you reach the ferry there will be an announcement to say that everything can be left on the train as it is locked for the duration of the crossing. As well as luggage many people leave coats etc. on their seats. It is quite safe.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank uou Anni. One more question. From a cost perspective, does it matter when and which website we use to purchase the train/ferry tickets?

Alan

Anni

Thank uou Anni. One more question. From a cost perspective, does it matter when and which website we use to purchase the train/ferry tickets?

Alan

I took the train from Copenhagen to Berlin in September. We had to debark the train at the ferry and then carry our luggage onto the ferry and then board a different train on the other side of the crossing. I was told this was because Denmark was worried about people without paperwork boarding the train and entering their country. I know there were guards at the train car going to some places in Hamburg. They were making sure you had your tickets and passports before boarding the trains.

But as Anni stated, in normal circumstances, you can leave your luggage on the train. I had planned on doing that but was unable to do so. I did purchase a lock that connects two bags together in case I was able to leave my luggage on the train. That might be a good thing to purchase just in case - it was like $15 or so.

With respect to the tickets, I would purchase from the DBahn website. I think you can purchase 90 days out and I would purchase when the option becomes available to make sure you get the ticket you want.

https://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/

Carrie

There seems to be some confusion on another thread as to which tickets are valid where and the system of inspection so, as the fine ( to say nothing of the embarrassment) for having the wrong ticket could really spoil your day (40€ per person) ...

... and it gets even worse: since 1st July 2015, the fine is 60€ nationwide (§265a Strafgesetzbuch) ...

I wouldn't be naive, but concerned; thievery in trains is an increasing business in Germany. I at least do not leave anything that is of value in the baggage, always take it with me. You can also try be the last to leave the train, and the first one to re-board it; (allegedly) the train will be locked during the crossing ...

I wouldn't be naive, but concerned; thievery in trains is an increasing business in Germany. I at least do not leave anything that is of value in the baggage, always take it with me. You can also try be the last to leave the train, and the first one to re-board it; (allegedly) the train will be locked during the crossing ...

I agree that one should never leave small items or anything of value but most travellers with any sense carry those things in a separate bag which they would not dream of letting out of their sight.

I assumed that the OP was referring to larger luggage, suitcases etc, and one would not want to carry a suitcase up and down the stairs between decks from the train. The stairways are narrow and crowded as all the passengers are trying to get off at once.

Large luggage is not 'easy pickings' for a thief. It is difficult to handle and usually contains only clothes etc. what they are looking for is smaller items of value eg camera, purse, phone, which can be easily hidden. I agree that this type of theft is on the increase but the only people who will suffer are careless travellers.

I use this particular train on a regular basis (at least once a month) and can assure you that the last person off is the conductor and THE TRAIN IS LOCKED. The doors to the car decks are also locked for the duration of the crossing and no-one is allowed back on the car decks until an announcement is made for passengers to return to the train. The doors are unlocked and train crew stand by each door as passengers board. I once asked why and was told to make sure people only boarded the train and no-one got off again carrying luggage!

So I think it is safe to leave large luggage but the idea of fastening your pieces together is a good one if you are at all nervous about it.

Happy travelling:)

Anni