Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Kiel Question. What is the easiest way from where the cruise ships tie up in Kiel to the Laboe Monument? We will be there in June, and that is a place I want to visit again. My last visit was over thirty years ago when a lot of walking was no problem for me.

Thanks,

-John

Supposing you will call at Ostsee Terminal you can take a short walk to "Seegarten" bridge terminal and take the Ferry boat to "Laboe" by line F1

http://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/ferries/fjord/

Gesendet von meinem Lenovo A816 mit Tapatalk

Hi again Anni and crew:

thanks for all the help on Rostock and getting to Schwerin. A couple more questions:

1. We have a stop in Kiel, from our research most seem to recommend Lubeck as a day trip. Do you have the updated time table there and back? We arrive on Thurs 30th June. Should we buy the Mecklenburg Lander tickets again?

2. As we do Rostock and Kiel - albeit a week apart - is there any other train tickets we should consider? eg multiple day M.L tickets or multi city Germany tickets? Note we will also before and after our cruise be doing international train tickets to and from Germany ie Berlin-Amsterdam and Amsterdam-Munich and Munich-Austria

Thanks again

James

Just let me say thanks for this thread so much information it is great.

I can't find out anything about what we may see on our train trip to Berlin though. Maybe I am missing this. We are traveling from Warnemünde to Berlin (and back) on a Princess excursion. We love train travel and wanted to visit Berlin for a taste of Germany. The excursion has a scenic route listed, but not so sure what they term scenic. Any idea what we can expect? We know it is about 3 hours to and from and that is OK with us.

Thanks again have a wonderful day.

I have at last finished updating the timetables and fares on the web site!

Have also changed a few things on the home page and added separate pages for those docking in Warnemunde -berths P1-4, P7 and P8; and those docking in the Overseas Port - berths LP31 and LP41.

I do intend to add more to the Hamburg and Lubeck pages and create one for Kiel but the research etc. takes time so please bear with me. Hopefully it will be finished in time for the start of the season.

If you can't find the answer to your questions on the web sit please ask here on the forum and I will do my best to answer and also add the info to the web site.

Many thanks to all of you who have expressed your appreciation. :D. It makes it all worthwhile.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs com

Hi All, apropos the above I am now on my annual cargo ship cruise and have very little internet access so must apologise for this bulk answer to your questions.

Jemery - Kruizefan has given you the exact same answer I would have given. Good choice to visit, enjoy your day.

Team flames- Sorry I do not have the updated train times here but, using the DB web page address quoted on my web site they will be easy to find. The trains run every hour between Kiel and Lubeck.

Lander tickets are your best bet for journeys from Kiel and Rostock, a Mecklenburg ticket for Rostock and a Schleswig-Holstein ticket for Kiel. For international tickets the best prices are on offer from 90 days before the date of your journey, on-line using the DB site as above.

Lander tickets are not valid on the bus but you can buy your bus ticket from the machine on board. Other tickets can be bought online, same DB web site.

Latebloomer56 - thank you for your appreciation. I'm afraid that I have never found anything particularly scenic or interesting about this particular route but maybe Princess knows something I don't ! Hopefully they will give you some indication of what to look out for. Sorry I can't be of more help. Enjoy anyway.

Hope I have answered everything. Chances are I will not be able to access internet until Genoa on 12/13th April. I am the only passenger, we sail tomorrow and then have 7 days at sea, my idea of heaven.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi All, apropos the above I am now on my annual cargo ship cruise and have very little internet access so must apologise for this bulk answer to your questions.

Jemery - Kruizefan has given you the exact same answer I would have given. Good choice to visit, enjoy your day.

Team flames- Sorry I do not have the updated train times here but, using the DB web page address quoted on my web site they will be easy to find. The trains run every hour between Kiel and Lubeck.

Lander tickets are your best bet for journeys from Kiel and Rostock, a Mecklenburg ticket for Rostock and a Schleswig-Holstein ticket for Kiel. For international tickets the best prices are on offer from 90 days before the date of your journey, on-line using the DB site as above.

Lander tickets are not valid on the bus but you can buy your bus ticket from the machine on board. Other tickets can be bought online, same DB web site.

Latebloomer56 - thank you for your appreciation. I'm afraid that I have never found anything particularly scenic or interesting about this particular route but maybe Princess knows something I don't ! Hopefully they will give you some indication of what to look out for. Sorry I can't be of more help. Enjoy anyway.

Hope I have answered everything. Chances are I will not be able to access internet until Genoa on 12/13th April. I am the only passenger, we sail tomorrow and then have 7 days at sea, my idea of heaven.

Anni

Thank you for the response.

All I have from Princess is scenic train from the dock to a town where we visit a camp. Then bus to Berlin to train and back.

The excursion has a scenic route listed, but not so sure what they term scenic. Any idea what we can expect? We know it is about 3 hours to and from and that is OK with us.

Thanks again have a wonderful day.

When we lived in Berlin, we made the drive to Rostock/Warnemuende. I have to agree with Travelanni--there's nothing "scenic" about that route.

When we lived in Berlin, we made the drive to Rostock/Warnemuende. I have to agree with Travelanni--there's nothing "scenic" about that route.

Thank you maybe I will let the train put me to sleep :). Will need the rest as I plan to go go go all through this trip.

• 3 weeks later...

If we buy these tickets online before arriving Germany, can we show the print-out and our credit cards as proof of purchase when boarding Bus 45 (or 49) from Rostock cruise port to go into town? Or, we must purchase the bus tickets from the driver?

I had posted this in another thread and it was suggested by another cc'er that I post it here, that I might have more answers here.

Thank you!

I'll be visiting Warnemende on July 3rd of this year from the Silhouette. I am trying to decide whether to take SPB's walking/ train tour or to do it DIY.

From what I have read SBP tours does a great job (we are booking them for our stop in St. Petersburg) but I haven't read many reviews for them specifically on the Warnemunde/ Rostock/ Schewrin tour. The thing I like about the tour is that I don't have to worry about the language barrier and that it's basically an easy way to sightsee.

What I don't like is that they only give 1 hour to see all of the castle and the grounds! ONE hour. My hubby loves castles and I love the gardens so one hour isn't much. They spend one hour having lunch. I could do with a snack and keep going.

So...about the DIY, I have read many post on CC. Some cruisers say they had a difficult time others say it's easy. I have read that the lander ticket includes the tram in Rostock and others say that it does not.

I've read that one should purchase their ticket online in advance to avoid confusion and backing up the ticket queue. I've also read that the lander ticket can only be purchased from the dispensing machine at the station and that you must have a chip and pin card to purchase from said machine. I have a chip but no pin. I have traveled via train in Europe before and usually it takes a moment to get oriented but I've never had any real issues.

Also we will be there on a Sunday and our ship is in port from 9:30 until 23:59. If we choose DIY I'd like to go to Schewrin as early as possible. Hang out see the sights and then head back for a stop in Rostock. Then Warnemunde last. Since we will be there so late I am thinking about dinner in Warnemunde. Any suggestions? I am also wondering since my visit will be on Sunday that everything will be closed by the time we return from Schewrin and Rostock.

Has anyone done the SPB tour? What about all the discrepancies I am reading about tickets? This is the ticket (link) that I am thinking I need.

https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/privatkun...untry=overseas

Thanks for any info or insights you might be able to offer :-)

If we buy these tickets online before arriving Germany, can we show the print-out and our credit cards as proof of purchase when boarding Bus 45 (or 49) from Rostock cruise port to go into town? Or, we must purchase the bus tickets from the driver?

The lander ticket is NOT valid on the bus. You must purchase a ticket from the machine either at the bus stop or on the bus. The machines have instructions in English, just press the British flag on the display. The fare is 2€ and the machines give change for 5€ and 10€ notes.

Anni

I had posted this in another thread and it was suggested by another cc'er that I post it here, that I might have more answers here.

Thank you!

I'll be visiting Warnemende on July 3rd of this year from the Silhouette. I am trying to decide whether to take SPB's walking/ train tour or to do it DIY.

From what I have read SBP tours does a great job (we are booking them for our stop in St. Petersburg) but I haven't read many reviews for them specifically on the Warnemunde/ Rostock/ Schewrin tour. The thing I like about the tour is that I don't have to worry about the language barrier and that it's basically an easy way to sightsee.

What I don't like is that they only give 1 hour to see all of the castle and the grounds! ONE hour. My hubby loves castles and I love the gardens so one hour isn't much. They spend one hour having lunch. I could do with a snack and keep going.

So...about the DIY, I have read many post on CC. Some cruisers say they had a difficult time others say it's easy. I have read that the lander ticket includes the tram in Rostock and others say that it does not.

I've read that one should purchase their ticket online in advance to avoid confusion and backing up the ticket queue. I've also read that the lander ticket can only be purchased from the dispensing machine at the station and that you must have a chip and pin card to purchase from said machine. I have a chip but no pin. I have traveled via train in Europe before and usually it takes a moment to get oriented but I've never had any real issues.

Also we will be there on a Sunday and our ship is in port from 9:30 until 23:59. If we choose DIY I'd like to go to Schewrin as early as possible. Hang out see the sights and then head back for a stop in Rostock. Then Warnemunde last. Since we will be there so late I am thinking about dinner in Warnemunde. Any suggestions? I am also wondering since my visit will be on Sunday that everything will be closed by the time we return from Schewrin and Rostock.

Has anyone done the SPB tour? What about all the discrepancies I am reading about tickets? This is the ticket (link) that I am thinking I need.

https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/privatkun...untry=overseas

Thanks for any info or insights you might be able to offer :-)

Hi, sorry to have taken so long to reply but I have just returned from my cargo ship voyage which sort of extended from two weeks to four with the addition of three more ports as we went along. This happens with cargo ships.

With regard to tour v. DIY that is a personal choice but I would not let the language question worry you. Many people in the two towns speak English, they are used to having cruise ship passenger guests. The castle offers both guided tours and audio guides in English. As you say 1 hour is not enough for the castle and the park.

As your ship does not arrive until 9:30 the earliest train from Rostock to Schwerin would be the 11:07 arriving 12:03. For details please see the Schwerin page of my web site.

On Sundays generally shops are closed but museums etc, cafes and restaurants are open as usual. In Warnemünde some shops, especially those catering to tourists, are open but have shorter hours.

You will find all the details of validity, prices and how to purchase for the various tickets on my web site but here are the basics.

Lander tickets - can be purchased in advance on-line, from a ticket office or from a ticket machine. (I would advise using one of the first two methods as acceptance of type of card varies). These tickets are valid on s-bahn, RE and RB (red trains) after 9am on weekdays and anytime on weekends and public holidays. They are NOT valid on trams, buses or ferries.

Local transport tickets - are valid on all s-bahn trains, trams, buses and ferries in the Rostock/Warnemünde area. The ticket is valid for the WHOLE journey from Warnemünde to Rostock city even though you use both train and tram. Machines are located on the stations, at tram and bus stops, on trams and buses (but not on trains) and give change for 5€ and 10€ notes. Remember to validate your ticket in the little yellow box before boarding the train or on the tram for the return journey. This is only necessary once at the beginning of each journey.

The web site which I use for train travel and find the easiest is http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It is a direct translation of the German site and much simpler to use than the overseas sites.

Hope this answers all your queries

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
spelling

Travelanni, thank you so much for the details.

Looks like we could buy the Gruppentageskarte ticket from the machine on the bus (or maybe from the bus driver) for our group of 4 people when we catch Bus 45 (or 49) from the Rostock Cruise port. We also could use this ticket for trams and bus in Rostock.

Anni, thank you so very much for the info. It is so kind of you to offer assistance :-) Do you have a preference for the lander vs local train/ tram ticket? I am going to check out the link you supplied. I am at work now at can't click on it...it is blocked by IT so I'll try from home.

I think based on your info we are going to DIY.

I hope you had a great trip!

Thanks again!

Hi, sorry to have taken so long to reply but I have just returned from my cargo ship voyage which sort of extended from two weeks to four with the addition of three more ports as we went along. This happens with cargo ships.

With regard to tour v. DIY that is a personal choice but I would not let the language question worry you. Many people in the two towns speak English, they are used to having cruise ship passenger guests. The castle offers both guided tours and audio guides in English. As you say 1 hour is not enough for the castle and the park.

As your ship does not arrive until 9:30 the earliest train from Rostock to Schwerin would be the 11:07 arriving 12:03. For details please see the Schwerin page of my web site.

On Sundays generally shops are closed but museums etc, cafes and restaurants are open as usual. In Warnemünde some shops, especially those catering to tourists, are open but have shorter hours.

You will find all the details of validity, prices and how to purchase for the various tickets on my web site but here are the basics.

Lander tickets - can be purchased in advance on-line, from a ticket office or from a ticket machine. (I would advise using one of the first two methods as acceptance of type of card varies). These tickets are valid on s-bahn, RE and RB (red trains) after 9am on weekdays and anytime on weekends and public holidays. They are NOT valid on trams, buses or ferries.

Local transport tickets - are valid on all s-bahn trains, trams, buses and ferries in the Rostock/Warnemünde area. The ticket is valid for the WHOLE journey from Warnemünde to Rostock city even though you use both train and tram. Machines are located on the stations, at tram and bus stops, on trams and buses (but not on trains) and give change for 5€ and 10€ notes. Remember to validate your ticket in the little yellow box before boarding the train or on the tram for the return journey. This is only necessary once at the beginning of each journey.

The web site which I use for train travel and find the easiest is http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It is a direct translation of the German site and much simpler to use than the overseas sites.

Hope this answers all your queries

Anni

Anni, thank you so very much for the info. It is so kind of you to offer assistance :-) Do you have a preference for the lander vs local train/ tram ticket? I am going to check out the link you supplied. I am at work now at can't click on it...it is blocked by IT so I'll try from home.

I think based on your info we are going to DIY.

I hope you had a great trip!

Thanks again!

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

There seems to be a bit of confusion over the tickets, the two types are for entirely different journeys. The Lander ticket is used to travel beyond Rostock eg to Schwerin and the local transport ticket is for use in the Rostock/Warnemunde area.

For instance if you decide to travel to Schwerin first and to have a look around Rostock on your way back to Warnemunde you would buy a Lander ticket for the journey from Warnemunde to Schwerin and back to Rostock main station, a single local transport ticket for the journey on the tram from the main station to the city and a single local transport ticket for the return journey from the city by tram and train to Warnemunde. If however you decided to return straight from Schwerin to Warnemunde that would be covered by your Lander ticket.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Do you have a preference for the lander vs local train/ tram ticket?

Sorry that I interfere slightly here; and yes, it can be confusing, since we do have many different options: If your ship is arriving at Warnemunde, you can find the train station after a short walking distance (some few minutes longer if you need to avoid the stairs under the tunnel), and you will find ticket machines there, just switch to your language.

The Lander ticket in your case is called 'Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket' here:

DE

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/regio/meckpomm/mecklenburg-vorpommern-ticket.shtml

US

http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/offers/national/regional/laender-tickets/mecklenburg-western-pomerania-ticket.shtml

Then take the 'S-Bahn' to Rostock central station (every 10 mins or so), change to Schwerin (up to 2 departs per hour) and take the train back to Rostock. Later you can take the 'S-Bahn' back to Warnemunde. For these 4 train trips you would only need the 'Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket', since it is valid on the 'S-Bahn', too; but not on the trams and busses.

I find Rostock walkable, from central station I need about 10-15 mins to city center with all the historical buildings, shopping and restaurants. Much less stress compared to tram and ticketing issues. If you purchase local tickets in Rostock, you must stamp them, btw.

Please be aware of possible train service interruptions due to construction.

Hi we are visiting warnemunde this summer need some advice on taxi fares and approx travelling time from cruise port to Karls erebnis-dorf rostock

Distance from Warnemunde to Karls Erlebnis-Dorf in Rovershagen ist about 20 to 25 kms via Warnow Tunnel, that makes maybe EUR 45 for a taxi, takes at least 30 mins or so, gets much more if the driver does not take the Warnow Tunnel for whatever reason, so you better ask for it; or you take a taxi from downtown Rostock which is about half the distance; but the are also buses from downtown Rostock as another option:

Bus 118

http://www.rebus.de/index.php?p=haltestellen2.php&fh=22141

Travelanni, thank you so much for the details.

Looks like we could buy the Gruppentageskarte ticket from the machine on the bus (or maybe from the bus driver) for our group of 4 people when we catch Bus 45 (or 49) from the Rostock Cruise port. We also could use this ticket for trams and bus in Rostock.

Correct but you have to use the machine, the bus driver does not sell tickets

Anni :)

Then take the 'S-Bahn' to Rostock central station (every 10 mins or so), change to Schwerin (up to 2 departs per hour) .

I do not normally correct other peoples posts but on this occasion feel I must as the above directly contradicts the advice which I have given in several previous posts and so may confuse the cruisers to whom I have already replied.

As you will find on my web site (updated last month with information obtained directly from DB):-

The s-bahn trains from Warnemünde to Rostock depart every 15 minutes at 03, 18, 33 and 43 mins past the hour.

Trains direct from Rostock Hbf. to Schwerin on which the Lander ticket is valid depart every 2 hours at 7 mins past the hour (9:07, 11:07 etc), journey time 1hr 3mins. The trains in between are either IC trains on which the Lander ticket is not valid or trains which involve 2 changes and a journey time of 2hrs 1min.

BTW it would appear that the service between Warnemünde and Rostock is back to normal as from Monday 2nd May.

Anni

Hi we are visiting warnemunde this summer need some advice on taxi fares and approx travelling time from cruise port to Karls erebnis-dorf rostock

thank you :)

There is Karls right on the pier in Warnemunde is that the one you are talking about?

Otherwise there is an amusement park in Roevershagen which is about 25 minutes from the port of Rostock. I can't help with taxi fare, but there is a DIY with bus and/or train on the website which I can translate for you if would like to consider that way of travel.

I was there a few years ago, it was a nice way to spend a few hours, lots of straweberries and of course white asparagus (it was late May). If you like Polish Pottery this is the place to buy it, the selection is amazing. Have fun!

Anni,

Thanks for all your advice on this thread, it's been so valuable to someone like us who are planning a trip to the area. I was wondering if I could run my little plan past you to make sure I haven't inadvertently worked out something silly. The plan is to visit Schwerin, and then come back and spend some time in Warnemunde (it's our first visit to the area).

We're going to be in Warnemunde on the Norwegian Star from 7:30am to 10pm, so a nice long day. However we're the type of folks that like to get out early and then come back and laze around the ship (or at least wander around near to the port and then laze around the ship!).

So noting that the Mecklenburg lander card won't work before 9am (we're there on Wednesday 25th May) but there's a direct train from Rostock to Schwerin at 9:07. So my idea is to buy a separate one way ticket each for a couple of Euros to take us from Warnemunde to Rostock in time to catch the 9:07, and then use the lander card for the rest of the day?

Does that sound feasible? I figure that way we'll make up two hours by not having to wait till the 11:07, which seems worth it for less than 5 euros.

Also depending on the weather on the day, we might decide to visit Schwerin for a couple of hours and then head onto Wismar before going back to the ship since we're only going to be about half an hour away by train from there while at Schwerin. Are both towns easily walkable from the train stations, or will we need to hop on a bus/tram at the other end of each?

Thanks!

Brian

As you will find on my web site ...

Yes, nice website, just stumbled over "Hohe Düne" ... ;)

The s-bahn trains from Warnemünde to Rostock depart every 15 minutes at 03, 18, 33 and 43 mins past the hour.

In 2013, service increased on afternoons during summer (and cruise) season with departures every 7 to 8 minutes, meanwhile service increased also in the morning for 1 hour on weekdays with departures every 7 to 8 minutes; each in both directions of course; this is very comfortable.

I personally love the "Kursbuch" of german railways, which shows all departures on one table (klick the '181's in this case); unfortunately this seems to be availabe in german language only:

http://kursbuch.bahn.de/hafas/kbview.exe/dn?table_nr=181&searchmode=tableplus&mainframe=result&controlpattern=Q.&orig=sT&dosearch=1&submitButton=Suche+starten

The trains in between are either IC trains on which the Lander ticket is not valid ...

You are right here, thank you for pointing that out.