Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

We will be staying at a BNB in Berlin in April, can you please tell us the best way to get to the airport from Mitte?

We are flying out of Tegal Airport, researched TXL Airport Shuttle and they want over $125.00 dollars to take us to the airport.

Appreciate any help you can give us.

We are flying out of Tegal Airport, researched TXL Airport Shuttle and they want over $125.00 dollars to take us to the airport.

Are you joking? $125.00 dollars? Tegel airport just outside downtown. Its just five miles from Mitte to the airport as a bird flies and cannot be more than 7 miles by road! Just take a normal taxi!

Or if you wanna do it really cheap, take S-Bahn or Subway, either to Alexanderplatz and TXL JetExpress bus from there, or to Zoologisher Garten and take X9 JetExpressBus from there. Everything included in the local transport ticket (6.90 Euro = $7.50 per person for the whole day)

Edited by Ultima Thule

We will be staying at a BNB in Berlin in April, can you please tell us the best way to get to the airport from Mitte?

Appreciate any help you can give us.

Are you joking? $125.00 dollars? Tegel airport just outside downtown. Its just five miles from Mitte to the airport as a bird flies and cannot be more than 7 miles by road! Just take a normal taxi!

Or if you wanna do it really cheap, take S-Bahn or Subway, either to Alexanderplatz and TXL JetExpress bus from there, or to Zoologisher Garten and take X9 JetExpressBus from there. Everything included in the local transport ticket (6.90 Euro = $7.50 per person for the whole day)

125 us dollars is about twice as much as a taxi would cost from Arlanda to central Stockholm and that is almost 40km in distance.

Like UT says use public transport:

http://www.berlin-airport.de/en/travellers-txl/to-and-from/buses-and-trains/local-public-transport/index.php

http://www.berlin-airport.de/en/travellers-txl/to-and-from/taxis/index.php

A quick look at Taxi Berlin website indicate that the price from Tegel to central Berlin (Brandenburger Tor was used by me as a distance reference) would cost about 22 Euros if you are no more then 4 people.

http://www.taxi-berlin.de/taxitarif/

Edited by Desdichado62

125 us dollars is about twice as much as a taxi would cost from Arlanda to central Stockholm and that is almost 40km in distance.

Like UT says use public transport:

http://www.berlin-airport.de/en/travellers-txl/to-and-from/buses-and-trains/local-public-transport/index.php

http://www.berlin-airport.de/en/travellers-txl/to-and-from/taxis/index.php

A quick look at Taxi Berlin website indicate that the price from Tegel to central Berlin (Brandenburger Tor was used by me as a distance reference) would cost about 22 Euros if you are no more then 4 people.

http://www.taxi-berlin.de/taxitarif/

Thank you for your help we will check out your sites.

We did fell that the $125.00 price was high but every time I put in the address where we are staying that's the price that came up.

Yes we thought the price was high so we will check out the other sites,

thank you for your help.

Tegel - the business airport

Berlin’s busiest airport and the economic backbone of the capital’s air traffic infrastructure is Tegel Airport. Thanks to its central location and the attractive destinations offered in its flight schedule, both tourists and business travellers use the airport.

Arriving and departing

Bus connections to Berlin city centre

Express bus TXL Alexanderplatz (city center east)

Express bus X9: S + U Zoologischer Garten (city center west)

Bus 109: S + U Zoologischer Garten

Bus 128: U Osloer Straße

https://www.berlin.de/en/airports-and-stations/1872399-2932875-airport-berlin-tegel-txl.en.html

Public Transport:

Tegel Airport has no direct link to the S- or U-Bahn. The fastest way to get to the city is either by TXL Express Bus or by the Express Bus X9. Both stop right outside the terminal.

Express Bus X9 towards City West:

The X9 Bus departs every five to ten minutes at Tegel Airport towards Zoo Station, the journey takes about 20 minutes. Zoo Station is linked to the S-Bahn and U-Bahn network, from Zoo Station any destination in the city can be reached easily. The bus X9 also stops at:

- the underground station Jakob-Kaiser-Platz which is linked to the U-Bahn line U7

- station Jungfernheide with connections to the S-Bahn

- station Ernst-Reuter-Platz which is linked to the U2.

Fare: 2.70 Euros one way. Children at the age of 6 to 14 years pay 1.70 Euros.

Route and Bus Stops Bus X9 (pdf)

Bus 109 towards City West:

Bus 109 travels to Zoo Station as well and tickets cost 2.70 Euros, too. Because this bus is not an express bus it stops at more halts and the journey from Tegel-Airport to the City West takes approximately 30 minutes.

Route and Bus Stops Bus 109 (pdf)

TXL Express Bus towards City East:

The bus travels in five-or ten-minute intervals between Tegel Airport and Alexanderplatz. Depending on the time of day the ride from the airport to Alexanderplatz via Berlin Central Station (Hauptbahnhof), Brandenburg Gate, Unter den Linden/Friedrichstraße takes 30 to 40 minutes.

Fare: 2.70 Euros one way. Fare for children between 6-14 years: 1.70

Tegel airport is much closer to the city centre than Schoenefeld. It is used by major airlines such as Lufthansa, Air France/ KLM, British Airways, Iberia, Quatar Airways, Turkish Airlines, Continental Airlines and Hainan Airlines. Airberlin uses Tegel airport as its Oneworld alliance hub.

Getting from TXL to the centre is easy and fast. The best way is to take one of the Airport Express buses – going either to Zoologischer Garten (Charlottenburg), Hauptbahnhof (Mitte) or Alexanderplatz (Mitte).

Buses leave roughly every 10 minutes from the bus stop outside Terminal A/ B. Tickets can be purchased either directly from the driver, ticket machines outside the terminal building or at the ticket counter located at the exit of Terminal A/ B for 2,70 €/ person (zones AB, valid for two hours in one direction). Make sure you validate your ticket in the bus, if you have not bought it from the bus driver (little tiny yellow/ white machine which puts a time stamp on your ticket to validate it).

VBB and BVG ticket machines accept Maestro debit cards, DB ticket machines also take Visa and Mastercards. If paying in the bus, only cash will be accepted by the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the info you provide here.

My question I am sure has been answered but I can't seem to find it.

We are cruising on Princess and docking in Hamburg. Is there anything near the port area or easy transportation for exploring the area?

Thank you

Kim

We are cruising on Princess and docking in Hamburg. Is there anything near the port area or easy transportation for exploring the area?

Thank you

Kim

I've been to Hamburg many times, but can't really help with your question directly. Here is a website that might help get you started: http://www.hamburg-travel.com/attractions/

Many people make their way to the Miniatur Wunderland and have rated it highly.

Last July, our Princess cruise stopped in Kiel and we took the train from there to Luebeck. I'd suggest you do the same thing from Hamburg. Hamburg is a big, sprawling city while Luebeck is a charming old Hanseatic town with a wonderful pedestrian walking area, great old architecture and churches and interesting shops and restaurants. It was actually one of my favorite places we visited on the entire cruise.

Luebeck is an easy train ride from Hamburg, taking less than 1 hour.

Here's a link to the Luebeck tourism website: http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/

Here's a link to the German train (Deusche Bahn) website so you can see the various departure and arrival times. You can buy your ticket when you get to the Hamburg main train station (Hauptbahnhof or Hbf) http://www.bahn.com

Thank you

Kim

Miniature World is very unique and is worth a stop. The U-bahn works well to get around.

• 2 weeks later...

My question I am sure ha

Thank you

Kim

Miniature World is very unique and is worth a stop. The U-bahn works well to get around.

If you are interested in model railroad the "Miniatur Wunderland" is for you!

Besides U-Bahn you will find busses and S-Bahn as public transport.

A day ticket (€ 12) is good for FIVE.

Gesendet von meinem Lenovo A816 mit Tapatalk

Edited by Kruizefan

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

thanks to everyone who contributes it has made for fascinating reading and valuable information.

We will be on the HAL Koningsdam Baltic cruise from the 19th June. We have a stop in Rostock (LP31 not Waremunde) on the Wed 22nd June and a stop in Kiel on thurs June 30th. We will not be visiting Berlin nor Hamburg and would rather focus on smaller centres. From our research Schwerin, Lubek and Wismar look interesting and relatively simple do do DIY.

Lubek looks like a definite visit from Kiel but what about Wismar and Schwerin, would they be easier from Rostock or Kiel?

Also as we are in Rostock and not Waremunde should we still be visiting Waremunde?

Appreciate all thoughts and advice

regards

James

Hi all,

thanks to everyone who contributes it has made for fascinating reading and valuable information.

We will be on the HAL Koningsdam Baltic cruise from the 19th June. We have a stop in Rostock (LP31 not Waremunde) on the Wed 22nd June and a stop in Kiel on thurs June 30th. We will not be visiting Berlin nor Hamburg and would rather focus on smaller centres. From our research Schwerin, Lubek and Wismar look interesting and relatively simple do do DIY.

Lubek looks like a definite visit from Kiel but what about Wismar and Schwerin, would they be easier from Rostock or Kiel?

Also as we are in Rostock and not Waremunde should we still be visiting Waremunde?

Appreciate all thoughts and advice

regards

James

Luebeck is definately best from Kiel, its a nice old town and of course the famous city Gate is often photographed.

Since you are docking in Rostock you have an advantage. Actually it is also a great city to sightsee through. As for getting to Schwerin, you have it a bit easier than getting there from Warnemunde.

From TravelAnni's website:

The train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin,

usually departing from platform 7.

NB the s-bahn occasionally arrives on platform 6 in which case you

simply cross the platform

RE trains on which the Länder ticket is valid:-

Depart Rostock Hbf. 9:07 11:07 13:07

Arrive Schwerin Hbf. 10:03 12:03 15:03

Leave the train at Schwerin Hbf - 6th stop on the route.

Exit the train station by the main entrance, cross the square to the small

street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right

and follow the waterfront past the cafe(about 200m) until you come to

the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and

from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

Walking time direct to the castle about 20mins

Walking Warnemunde is a nice little jaunt if you don't feel like travelling out and about in the farther reaches. Lovely promenade along the beach, and some quaint shops. If you need a decompression day because of such a port intensive cruise this would be a great place just to relax.

Please visit Anni's website for details on all the things to see in the area and how to get there. It is a wealth of information. http://travelanni.webs.com/

thank you Sauer Kraut!

I have had a look at Anni's website which is great. I agree Lubek looks obvious from Kiel.

Wismar looks closer to Rostock - agreed? Do you think Wismar is worth including?

Schwerin seems to be visited more from Rostock in the manner you suggested.

Thinking about it our time in port will be longer in Rostock then Kiel so it makes sense to try and cover more while there.

Anni are u there? Prior to our cruise departing Amsterdam we will be in Berlin. It appears fares fluctuate, how do you recommend getting the best price? We need this in mid June

Thanks

James

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Sorry I am talking about taking a train from Berlin to Amsterdam, it was poorly phrased.

thank you Sauer Kraut!

I have had a look at Anni's website which is great. I agree Lubek looks obvious from Kiel.

Wismar looks closer to Rostock - agreed? Do you think Wismar is worth including?

Schwerin seems to be visited more from Rostock in the manner you suggested.

Thinking about it our time in port will be longer in Rostock then Kiel so it makes sense to try and cover more while there.

Yes Wismar is worth a visit, its an UNESCO world heritage site. The buildings are brick gothic in style and there are 3 (I think) remaining city gates there. Lots of churches and the Hansa League style of commercial buildings in the center. You can walk along the quay and get a fish lunch right off one of the boats moored there. A lot of cobbles so walking is an adventure for those of us with bad knees.

Luebeck is definately best from Kiel, its a nice o.

Since you are docking in Rostock you have an advantage. Actually it is also a great city to sightsee through. As for getting to Schwerin, you have it a bit easier than getting there from Warnemunde.

http://travelanni.webs.com/

Sorry to disagree but it is actually more complicated and takes longer to get to Rostock Hbf. from LP31/41 than from Warnemunde unless you take a taxi or your ship is running a shuttle DIRECT to the station in Rostock. The buses to the nearest train station , Lutten Klein on the Warnemunde-Rostock line, only run once per hour. I am adding a page to the web site specifically for cruisers berthing on LP31 or LP41. It is a 'work in progress' so please bear with me, it will be completed before the season starts.

Please note that the train times and fares shown at present are those for 2015 but will be updated as soon as the new timetables and fares are available, usually at the beginning of April. There is seldom much change to the local services.

The 2016 Port of Rostock Cruise Schedule is now available showing dates and times for all ships berthing on P1-4, P7, P8, LP31 and LP41.

www. Rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping.

Happy cruising,

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

If Teamflames goes to Luebeck when the stop in Kiel (which I HIGHLY recommend), would Wismar, another Hanseatic town, be repetitive for them? (I don't know the answer, I just thought I'd ask on their behalf.)

If so, either Schwerin or Rostock/Warnemuende would be a great choice for the day you are in Rostock. (We, too, had to make a choice and went with Rostock/Warnemuende and don't regret it.)

FWIW, Teamflames, it's possible that your ship will provide ferry transportation to Warnemuende or bus transportation to central Rostock if you are docked in Rostock. We were on the HAL Eurodam last summer and they provided both forms of transportation for free. If you plan to go to Warnemuende, I recommend getting off the ship EARLY and in line for the ferry. The line was really long for the ferry in the morning and we were lucky to have gotten on the 2nd one. If you plan to take the bus to central Rostock, be aware that the train station is about a mile from where the bus will drop you off.

Sorry to disagree but it is actually more complicated and takes longer to get to Rostock Hbf. from LP31/41 than from Warnemunde unless you take a taxi or your ship is running a shuttle DIRECT to the station in Rostock. The buses to the nearest train station , Lutten Klein on the Warnemunde-Rostock line, only run once per hour. I am adding a page to the web site specifically for cruisers berthing on LP31 or LP41. It is a 'work in progress' so please bear with me, it will be completed before the season starts.

Please note that the train times and fares shown at present are those for 2015 but will be updated as soon as the new timetables and fares are available, usually at the beginning of April. There is seldom much change to the local services.

The 2016 Port of Rostock Cruise Schedule is now available showing dates and times for all ships berthing on P1-4, P7, P8, LP31 and LP41.

www. Rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping.

Happy cruising,

Anni

Hi Anni

'

thanks for all your contributions and I see from earlier posts you are a canetoad (I am a cockroach haha) although like you I am an afl fan.

I also wrote to the Rostock tourist centre and they immediately replied. Here is some of what they wrote (I hope they don't mind me quoting them)

"Sometimes there are shuttles from the cruise company that take the passengers to the city centre. If not, the Bus Nr. 49 (single ticket 2€ p.P.) will take you directly to the main station Hauptbahnhof Süd. I recommend going to Schwerin first and exploring Rostock later that day.

The train to Schwerin leaves every 2h from 09:07 in the morning and takes about 1hour ride. The stop you need to get off is named "Schwerin Mitte". From there you can walk to the city centre and Schwerin Castle. Don't forget the Castle Gardens ;-) Worth a visit as well is the Marstall-Peninsula just a few minutes north of the castle.

The timetable back is from 11:45 every 2h as well. You'd need to get the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket for the ride. It is valid for up to 5 people. The first person pays 23€ and every additional person 4€. The ticket can be purchased at the main station ticket machines of the DB (Deutsche Bahn). It is valid from 09:00 throughout the whole day. You can even take the local train (S-Bahn) from Rostock main station to Warnemünde and back with that ticket. You should visit Warnemünde because it's a very charming fisher village with its narrow streets and alleys."

This seems to be mostly in line with what I have seen so far of your past posts except maybe about bus 49 and I have seen you recommend a different stop in Schwerin - is that accurate?

Also Anni, I have seen you mention advice about trains to and from Germany. I need to get from Berlin to Amsterdam on the 16th June, do you know when I might be able to purchase these tickets? and what is the best way to try and obtain one of those deals?

Many thanks for all the help you give us

James

Hi Anni

'

thanks for all your contributions and I see from earlier posts you are a canetoad (I am a cockroach haha) although like you I am an afl fan.

I also wrote to the Rostock tourist centre and they immediately replied. Here is some of what they wrote (I hope they don't mind me quoting them)

"Sometimes there are shuttles from the cruise company that take the passengers to the city centre. If not, the Bus Nr. 49 (single ticket 2€ p.P.) will take you directly to the main station Hauptbahnhof Süd. I recommend going to Schwerin first and exploring Rostock later that day.

The train to Schwerin leaves every 2h from 09:07 in the morning and takes about 1hour ride. The stop you need to get off is named "Schwerin Mitte". From there you can walk to the city centre and Schwerin Castle. Don't forget the Castle Gardens ;-) Worth a visit as well is the Marstall-Peninsula just a few minutes north of the castle.

The timetable back is from 11:45 every 2h as well. You'd need to get the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket for the ride. It is valid for up to 5 people. The first person pays 23€ and every additional person 4€. The ticket can be purchased at the main station ticket machines of the DB (Deutsche Bahn). It is valid from 09:00 throughout the whole day. You can even take the local train (S-Bahn) from Rostock main station to Warnemünde and back with that ticket. You should visit Warnemünde because it's a very charming fisher village with its narrow streets and alleys."

This seems to be mostly in line with what I have seen so far of your past posts except maybe about bus 49 and I have seen you recommend a different stop in Schwerin - is that accurate?

Also Anni, I have seen you mention advice about trains to and from Germany. I need to get from Berlin to Amsterdam on the 16th June, do you know when I might be able to purchase these tickets? and what is the best way to try and obtain one of those deals?

Many thanks for all the help you give us

James

Hi James, nice to meet a fellow Aussie even from too far South! I love living here but the one thing I really miss is the Gabba when the Lions roar.

Thank you for your appreciation and the quote from the Rostock tourist office. I did not know about the extension to the no 49 route (previously it only went to the tram terminal in the suburbs) It is obviously a response to the withdrawal of the train service on that side of the river.

Monday to Friday the bus leaves the stop outside the port gate at 33 mins past the hour. You would need to allow at least one hour for the trip. 10 mins walk to the stop, 40 mins on the bus and 10 mins walk at the Hbf. A lot would depend on the time of berthing and the connection with the Schwerin train. I will detail all this on my web page.

I do recommend a different stop in Schwerin, the Hauptbahnhof, for three reasons. Firstly it is the main station and therefore there are always other passengers getting off and on so you are sure to have time. Mitte is only two minutes after the Hbf and the train makes a very quick stop, sometimes there is no-one getting off or on. Very easy for stranger to miss it. Secondly, Hbf is a nice , modern station with elevators, information office and shops whereas Mitte is simply two platforms in a deep cutting with elevators that are very often out of order due to vandalism. Not a very nice introduction to Schwerin. Thirdly the walk from Hbf is along one of the many lakes, past interesting buildings including some lovely villas and the Arsenal, straight into the pedestrian only area of the Old Town. The walk from Mitte is through a car park, the main shopping mall and the modern part of town. I use Mitte for shopping trips but would never use it with visitors. The distance from either station to the Schloss is about the same.

I will do some research into trains from Berlin To Amsterdam but basically the special fares are available on-line from 90 days prior to your date of travel. For details on how to purchase please see the web site. The specials are limited so the earlier you buy the better.

Hope this helps,

Happy cruising,

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Many thanks Anni, very helpful. Can I just confirm you would recommend that bus 49 over the alternative (45?) you have mentioned previously that goes to a different station?

I will post more info I got from the tourist info about Rostock public transport passes and things to see once I am on my proper computer. Not used to these tiny devices[emoji12]

Thanks again

I will do some research into trains from Berlin To Amsterdam but basically the special fares are available on-line from 90 days prior to your date of travel. For details on how to purchase please see the web site. The specials are limited so the earlier you buy the better.

Hope this helps,

Happy cruising,

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We will be spending a few days in Berlin (in late August) and then taking the train to Hamburg (just for a day), and then taking the train/ferry to Copenhagen. We will have just the afternoon/evening in Hamburg, and we are debating whether to spend the day in Hamburg (possibly go to the Miniature Exhibit/Museum) or to go to either Lubeck or Schwerin for the afternoon (and then return to our hotel in Hamburg). Any suggestions?

Alan

Edited by ReligBookFreak

First: Lübeck has much more to be seen than Schwerin.

But my suggestion is, stay at Hamburg and have an afternoon stroll thru downtown and at the shore of river Elbe.

Gesendet von meinem Lenovo A816 mit Tapatalk

Edited by Kruizefan