Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

We will be spending a few days in Berlin (in late August) and then taking the train to Hamburg (just for a day), and then taking the train/ferry to Copenhagen. We will have just the afternoon/evening in Hamburg, and we are debating whether to spend the day in Hamburg (possibly go to the Miniature Exhibit/Museum) or to go to either Lubeck or Schwerin for the afternoon (and then return to our hotel in Hamburg). Any suggestions?

Alan

I think it really depends on your interests and the amount of time you have available. (The train to Luebeck from Hamburg takes about 45 minutes, as I recall). If you have enough time for this trip once you get to Hamburg, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Luebeck. We were there for about 3 hours or so last July (from our port visit to Kiel) and it was definitely one of the highlights of our Baltic Sea cruise. It's a beautiful town with amazing architecture. Don't miss the Marienkirche (St. Mary's Church) and check out the Kartoffel Keller for a meal. We chose to spend our time sightseeing rather than having a sit-down lunch, but we did walk by the Kartoffel Keller and it looked charming.

My cruise ship will dock at Rostock LP31. Looks like we could take either Bus 45 or 49 to Lutten Klein train station then transfer to the S-train in order to get to the Rostock Hbf station. From there, take the RE train to Schwerin Hbf. I'd assume this itinerary would be faster because both trains run more often, not every two hour.

My cruise ship will dock at Rostock LP31. Looks like we could take either Bus 45 or 49 to Lutten Klein train station then transfer to the S-train in order to get to the Rostock Hbf station. From there, take the RE train to Schwerin Hbf. I'd assume this itinerary would be faster because both trains run more often, not every two hour.

Hi we are in same boat [emoji851]

See my post 371 and Annie reply 372. I sent email to Rostock tourist info, she told me bus 49 takes you to the hbf station. Trains to Schwerin every 2 hours, 9.07 first one. But you say they are more frequent?

See info about going in a group (up to 5) is cheaper.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Hi we are in same boat [emoji851]

See my post 371 and Annie reply 372. I sent email to Rostock tourist info, she told me bus 49 takes you to the hbf station. Trains to Schwerin every 2 hours, 9.07 first one. But you say they are more frequent?

See info about going in a group (up to 5) is cheaper.

Hi, just to clear up the confusion.

Either bus 45 or 49 running in the direction 'Lutten Klein HP' (stop on same side of the main road as dock) will take you to Lutten Klein station to connect with the s-Bahn to either Rostock Hbf or Warnemunde. The buses run every hour and the trains every 20 mins (at the moment, this could change in summer)

Bus 49 in the opposite direction, 'Rostock Hbf Sud' ( stop on the opposite side of the road) takes you direct to Rostock main station, south entrance. This bus runs every hour.

The trains from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin run every two hours starting at 7:09.

The summer timetables for both buses and trains usually appear during March and apply from Easter. I will be updating my web site ASAP. To look up timetables yourself you can use either

For trains

http://www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

For buses

http://www.rsag-online.de/en

Happy cruising

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you so much, Travelanni.

I looked up the schedule of Bus 49 and looks like the last bus stop is Rostock Hbf Sud, not Rostock Hbf. These are two different train stations, correct? I'd assume the Visitor Center meant that the trains from Rostock Hbf Sud depart every two hour.

I also visited the web site of Bahn train and it shows that the trains from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin Hbf depart ...., 8:06, 9:07, 9:14, 10:06, 11:07, 11:14, 12:06, 13:07, 13:14, 14:06, ....

Please help me with this question.... If I buy the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket online in advance before arriving Germany, do I need to validate it before boarding the RE-train from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin Hbf ?

Thank you so much, Travelanni.

I looked up the schedule of Bus 49 and looks like the last bus stop is Rostock Hbf Sud, not Rostock Hbf. These are two different train stations, correct? I'd assume the Visitor Center meant that the trains from Rostock Hbf Sud depart every two hour.

I also visited the web site of Bahn train and it shows that the trains from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin Hbf depart ...., 8:06, 9:07, 9:14, 10:06, 11:07, 11:14, 12:06, 13:07, 13:14, 14:06, ....

Please help me with this question.... If I buy the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket online in advance before arriving Germany, do I need to validate it before boarding the RE-train from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin Hbf ?

The last stop for the no 49 bus is indeed Rostock Hbf. Sud but your assumption that they are two different stations is incorrect. To quote from my previous post - "Bus 49 in the opposite direction, 'Rostock Hbf Sud' ( stop on the opposite side of the road) takes you direct to Rostock main station, south entrance. " There can only be one 'Rostock Hauptbahnhof' as this translates to 'Rostock Main Station' in English. 'Sud' translates to 'South' in English and denotes the south entrance where the bus station is situated.

I do not know know which web site you were looking at but it was certainly not the official, current DB site. I have just looked up the train times for Rostock Hbf. to Schwerin Hbf. for April 2016 onwards and the times are as follows. 7:07, 7:14, 8:25, 9:07, 9:14, 10:25, 11:07, 11:14, 12:44, 13:07, 13:14 etc.etc.

The trains departing every two hours at 7 minutes past the hour (7:07 etc) are direct trains on which the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander ticket is valid. Travel time 1hour 3mins. These are the trains to which the lady from the tourist office and myself were referring.

The trains departing every two hours at 14 minutes past the hour (7:14 etc) require two changes, in Gustrow (24mins) and Bad Kleinen (16mins). The Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander ticket is valid but the travel time is 2hrs 2mins.

The remaining trains (8:25, 10:25, 12:44) are Inter City Express on which the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander ticket IS NOT VALID. The return fare on these trains is 42 euro pp.

You do not need to validate your MVP Lander ticket if bought on-line but you do need to carry the ID which you nominated when buying the ticket. It will be inspected! Please remember also that you will need to buy a local ticket either from the machine or the office at Warnemunde if you intend to catch the s-bahn from there before 9am. This ticket does need to be validated.

Believe me, I do know what I am talking about. I have lived here for over 10 years and use the trains and timetables on a daily basis. However, I must stress that the information is as it appears now on the official web site. I cannot guarantee that it will not change although changes are unlikely. Travellers should check as near to their date of travel as possible.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
additional information

Anni thank you so much for all this detail, it makes things very clear. Can I ask one more question, getting from the port to the hbf there may be 3 options ship transfer to the centre and walk; bus 49 to south entrance or bus 45 or 49 other direction to Lutten klein and then s-Bahn. Will all these take roughly the same amount of time in duration?

Our cruise stop at Hamburg on May 5 will be from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. We have visited Berlin in the past, so this time, we are thinking to just spend the day in Hamburg. I learned May 5 is a National holiday, and there will be a lot of people in Hamburg. Also, I heard starting after 4 p.m., there will be a lot of activities in the port area that are worth seeing.

I would like to get suggestions on what we can do/visit in Hamburg before 4 p.m.?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. :)

Our cruise stop at Hamburg on May 5 will be from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. We have visited Berlin in the past, so this time, we are thinking to just spend the day in Hamburg. I learned May 5 is a National holiday, and there will be a lot of people in Hamburg. Also, I heard starting after 4 p.m., there will be a lot of activities in the port area that are worth seeing.

I would like to get suggestions on what we can do/visit in Hamburg before 4 p.m.?

May 5th is Ascension Day in Germany. When we lived in Germany in the late 1990's, EVERYTHING closed down on public holidays such as Ascension Day. You might want to check with Travelanni to see if this is still the case.

In any event, have you considered going to Luebeck for the day? It's less than an hour by train from Hamburg and the train tickets are really cheap. We visited Luebeck last summer when our ship docked at Kiel and it was one of my favorite stops of all the places we visited. It's an old Hanseatic town and the architecture and history of the place are amazing. Also, the Marienkirche is a great place to visit and there are some excellent restaurants too. I was intrigued by the Kartoffel Keller (Potato Cellar) although we did not get to eat there.

But, before making any plans, check with the local Tourist Information office to see what will and will not be open. And since it is a religious holiday, there may be services at the Marienkirche which could interfere with a visit there.

Thank you so much for these details, Travelanni. You are absolutely right. I looked up the transportation map and indeed there are three small stations: Hbf Nord, Hbf Sud, and ZOB near the Hbf Central Station. Is it correct that all of them are located in the same building, just different entrances?

I did not mean to contradict what you said. This is my first time in Germany and I don't know the language at all so I just want to make sure everything is clear before getting there. From the Bahn web site, I got the timetable of the RE train to Schwerin after entering the date that our ship will dock at Rostock LP31 (June 17). Just like you said, they are not finalized yet. Nevertheless, Your valuable information help me organizing my trip much better because now I know that not all departures are the same, especially with the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander tickets. Thanks again!

Hi Travelanni,

Please let me know how could I tell which RE train that the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander tickets are valid from the Bahn schedule. Would it be the column "Products"?

From Schwerin Hbf back to Rostock, I would assume this ticket is valid for certain RE trains only.

Thank you very much.

This is my first time in Germany and I don't know the language at all so I just want to make sure everything is clear before getting there.

I was in your place this past September. You will find that most people speak English in the more tourist areas and I found that people were extremely helpful when they realized you had questions, etc.

Getting onto local transportation in Berlin, I knew that I needed to get my ticket checked by a machine. There was a young gentleman on the platform that get my ticket sorted out and then helped me with my luggage onto the train.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Germany.

Carrie

Edited by cml4958

Thank you so much for these details, Travelanni. You are absolutely right. I looked up the transportation map and indeed there are three small stations: Hbf Nord, Hbf Sud, and ZOB near the Hbf Central Station. Is it correct that all of them are located in the same building, just different entrances?

I did not mean to contradict what you said. This is my first time in Germany and I don't know the language at all so I just want to make sure everything is clear before getting there. From the Bahn web site, I got the timetable of the RE train to Schwerin after entering the date that our ship will dock at Rostock LP31 (June 17). Just like you said, they are not finalized yet. Nevertheless, Your valuable information help me organizing my trip much better because now I know that not all departures are the same, especially with the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander tickets. Thanks again!

Thank you for your appreciation but I am quite sure that I did not say that there are three small stations! As I explained there can only be one Hbf (Hauptbahnhof) as this translates as MAIN station and there can be only one MAIN station in any town. Hbf Nord and Hbf Sud refer to the North and South entrances to the Main Station and ZOB is the Central Bus station (Zentrale Omnibus Bahnhof) adjacent to the south entrance to the Main rail station.

The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid on ALL local and regional trains in Mecklenburg plus journeys direct to Hamburg and Luebeck. On timetables they are designated RE, RB and S. in the Products column. These trains are painted red.

The ticket is NOT VALID on trains designated IC, ICE and EC which are painted grey.

I just looked up the timetable for trains between Rostock and Schwerin using the official site DB web site in English

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en and your date, 17th June. The times are exactly the same as in my previous post. I also phoned the DB information in Rostock and they tell me that this is indeed the final summer schedule, out early this year as Easter is early.

You still seem to be confused and I am sorry if my explanations are not clear to you but I cannot find a clearer explanation. Maybe someone else can!

Anni

Hi, 5th may 2016 is also the first day of the annual Port Anniversary Week. The city will be jumping! For the best information as to what is on, where and when just Google 'Hamburg Port Anniversary' and you will get several excellent sites.

Because of the festival I think you will find almost everything open, maybe with the exception of the big department stores, but certainly all the usual attractions. The above sites will give you info about those too.

Enjoy Hamburg, it is my favourite city.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Anni thank you so much for all this detail, it makes things very clear. Can I ask one more question, getting from the port to the hbf there may be 3 options ship transfer to the centre and walk; bus 49 to south entrance or bus 45 or 49 other direction to Lutten klein and then s-Bahn. Will all these take roughly the same amount of time in duration?

There would not be much difference in travel time between the three but the big problem is the timing of connections.

The transfer by bus would take about 20 mins but a lot would depend on what time the ship transfer reached the city centre as the Hbf is a good 20min walk from there. You can take a tram but again if you just miss one it is a 10 to 12 min wait. If, however, the cruise line is providing a shuttle to the Hbf as some do then this would be the way to go

Bus 49 or 45 to Lutten Klein takes about 10 mins but the buses do not seem to co-ordinate with the trains too well and there is 20 mins between trains. Journey time for the train is another 20mins. Maybe when the new schedules come out they will have got their act together.

Bus 49 to Hbf Sud takes 40 mins so the 8:33 would not get you there in time for the 9:07 train and the 7:33 would mean a long wait in the Hbf.

There is a 4th alternative -a taxi from the ship to the Hbf. Journey time about 20 mins, stress-free and not really so expensive (around 20-30 euro) especially if you share with another couple.

The taxi would be my choice, the other three have so many variables! I would take the easy way out, be sure of catching the train, have a good day in Schwerin and give myself plenty of time to use the train and bus on the way back.

Hope this helps.:)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs com

Edited by Travelanni

I am thinking maybe we take the Hop on Hop Off bus for a complete round to see the city, and if time allowed, then get off at the city center to do some shopping.

Questions:

1. Is the HOHO bus stop within 10 minutes walking distance from the Hafencity cruise terminal?

2. Which stop is the closest to the city center?

Thank you.

There would not be much difference in travel time between the three but the big problem is the timing of connections.

The transfer by bus would take about 20 mins but a lot would depend on what time the ship transfer reached the city centre as the Hbf is a good 20min walk from there. You can take a tram but again if you just miss one it is a 10 to 12 min wait. If, however, the cruise line is providing a shuttle to the Hbf as some do then this would be the way to go

Bus 49 or 45 to Lutten Klein takes about 10 mins but the buses do not seem to co-ordinate with the trains too well and there is 20 mins between trains. Journey time for the train is another 20mins. Maybe when the new schedules come out they will have got their act together.

Bus 49 to Hbf Sud takes 40 mins so the 8:33 would not get you there in time for the 9:07 train and the 7:33 would mean a long wait in the Hbf.

There is a 4th alternative -a taxi from the ship to the Hbf. Journey time about 20 mins, stress-free and not really so expensive (around 20-30 euro) especially if you share with another couple.

The taxi would be my choice, the other three have so many variables! I would take the easy way out, be sure of catching the train, have a good day in Schwerin and give myself plenty of time to use the train and bus on the way back.

Hope this helps.:)

Anni

Bonza mate!

Thank you so much again. That is so clear and concise. Taxi makes sense especially as we should try and join with another couple to take advantage of the mecklenberg group pass pricing.

All the best

James

I am thinking maybe we take the Hop on Hop Off bus for a complete round to see the city, and if time allowed, then get off at the city center to do some shopping.

Questions:

1. Is the HOHO bus stop within 10 minutes walking distance from the Hafencity cruise terminal?

2. Which stop is the closest to the city center?

Thank you.

There are several HoHo companies in Hamburg. At least one has a stop at the Hafencity terminal and I would think the others do also, too good an opportunity to miss :rolleyes:.

I have seen HoHo buses stopping at the Central Station and this is very close to the city centre but am not sure where else they stop. They probably have maps of the stops on their respective web sites.

Sorry my knowledge is a bit sketchy but as a local I do not have any experience of these buses.

As GradUT suggests, it would be a good idea to contact the Tourist Office to find out exactly what will be open if you plan to go shopping. Hamburg being a tourist destination, especially during the Anniversary festival, it may have different rules on public holidays.

Anni

...As GradUT suggests, it would be a good idea to contact the Tourist Office to find out exactly what will be open if you plan to go shopping. Hamburg being a tourist destination, especially during the Anniversary festival, it may have different rules on public holidays.

I don't think that on May 5th (Christi Himmelfahrt) many shops will be open! :-(

Gesendet von meinem Lenovo A816 mit Tapatalk

There are several HoHo companies in Hamburg. At least one has a stop at the Hafencity terminal and I would think the others do also, too good an opportunity to miss :rolleyes:.

I have seen HoHo buses stopping at the Central Station and this is very close to the city centre but am not sure where else they stop. They probably have maps of the stops on their respective web sites.

Sorry my knowledge is a bit sketchy but as a local I do not have any experience of these buses.

As GradUT suggests, it would be a good idea to contact the Tourist Office to find out exactly what will be open if you plan to go shopping. Hamburg being a tourist destination, especially during the Anniversary festival, it may have different rules on public holidays.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Have you ever been to Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg? With only one day in Hamburg (our hotel is near the UBahn (U1 and U3)), would you recommend going there?

Alan

Have you ever been to Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg? With only one day in Hamburg (our hotel is near the UBahn (U1 and U3)), would you recommend going there?

Alan

If you are interested in mini railway trains and want to go there please do a reservation beforehand.

Gesendet von meinem Lenovo A816 mit Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have at last finished updating the timetables and fares on the web site!

Have also changed a few things on the home page and added separate pages for those docking in Warnemunde -berths P1-4, P7 and P8; and those docking in the Overseas Port - berths LP31 and LP41.

I do intend to add more to the Hamburg and Lubeck pages and create one for Kiel but the research etc. takes time so please bear with me. Hopefully it will be finished in time for the start of the season.

If you can't find the answer to your questions on the web sit please ask here on the forum and I will do my best to answer and also add the info to the web site.

Many thanks to all of you who have expressed your appreciation. :D. It makes it all worthwhile.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
More info

• 2 weeks later...

Kiel Question. What is the easiest way from where the cruise ships tie up in Kiel to the Laboe Monument? We will be there in June, and that is a place I want to visit again. My last visit was over thirty years ago when a lot of walking was no problem for me.

Thanks,

-John

Edited by Jemery