Southwest Early Bird Check in

racnwdow

How does this all work if I am flying from the West coast to East coast with a plane change in Chicago?

When I check in, will I get 2 different boarding numbers, 1 for each flight (seattle to Chicago and Chicago to Florida)? If I check in 24 hrs from the start of my first flight, does that mean that at least for the flight from Chicago, I will theoretically end up with a higher number than anyone whos first flight leaves after mine?

Edited by cruise cruise cruise

How does this all work if I am flying from the West coast to East coast with a plane change in Chicago?

When I check in, will I get 2 different boarding numbers, 1 for each flight? If I check in 24 hrs from the start of my first flight, does that mean that at least for the flight from Chicago, I will theoretically end up with a higher number than anyone whos first flight leaves after mine?

You check in 24 hours before the originating flight, and you will get all the boarding passes for the connecting flights too.

Theoretically, you would be checking in to the connecting flights more that 24 hours in advance. However, note that others are doing the same. Also, many Southwest flights have stops, but no plane changes, so you may have a low number for the Chicago flight, but there could be people already on the plane from it's previous flight. They get to move wherever they want (like the exit row) before anyone boards.

We are a group of 8 flying SW from Milwaukee to San Juan in February. I did not know about early bird seating on SW until I discovered this post; we had questioned how boarding assignment works when there is a connecting flight, so thanks Bob for answering that question. Doing the early bird for our return flight is a great idea, but at $12.50 pp that adds up for 8 people. However, it does save me from sitting at one of the slow ship computers waiting for the 24 hour window. Since my family will be travelling with me we really don't have anyone that would be able to check us in at the 24 hour window who won't be on the cruise with us....**sigh**

You get boarding passes for all the flights on your itinerary.

We are leaving from Hartford, changing planes in Orlando with only 30 minutes in between flights. We did early bird. I assume that they will start boarding the second plane before we get there so does that mean we will be at the end of the line for seats?

We are leaving from Hartford, changing planes in Orlando with only 30 minutes in between flights. We did early bird. I assume that they will start boarding the second plane before we get there so does that mean we will be at the end of the line for seats?

Thirty minutes is usually a short connection. If you leave on-time from Hartford, depending upon your Boarding Position in Orlando, you may actually make your Boarding Position there. Of course, weather and other delays may make it a quick connection, in which case you will Board as soon as you get to the Gate, based on what Boarding Position they are calling for at the time you get there.

Example: If they are calling for A31 - A60 and you have an A1 - A30, then you can Board immediately before the A31 - A60 group. Just let the Gate Agent know you just arrived at the Gate you are leaving from.

We are a group of 8 flying SW from Milwaukee to San Juan in February. I did not know about early bird seating on SW until I discovered this post; we had questioned how boarding assignment works when there is a connecting flight, so thanks Bob for answering that question. Doing the early bird for our return flight is a great idea, but at $12.50 pp that adds up for 8 people. However, it does save me from sitting at one of the slow ship computers waiting for the 24 hour window. Since my family will be travelling with me we really don't have anyone that would be able to check us in at the 24 hour window who won't be on the cruise with us....**sigh**

How important is it that you sit together on these flights? If very important, really consider paying for early bird; it is a good way to increase your odds of getting seats together.

If you do not get an "A" boarding pass, and if there is a very young child in your party, you may be allowed to board between A and B groups, greatly increasing the odds that the small child(ren) will be with at least one adult (I am not sure of all details, like cut off age or if, for example, there were only one child if seven adults would be allowed on with the kid between A and B groups).

If you hope to sit together (but do not have to) and if you also want to cut costs, some could pay for early bird. They'd get better boarding assignments, then select aisle (or aisle and window) seats in different rows toward the middle or back of the plane, expecting that the others in the party would likely be able to fill in the voids in those rows later (assuming the later folks checked in reasonably promptly to get decent boarding numbers). Doing so would not worth the relatively small savings to me, but others might well decide to try it. And you'd still have to check in from the ship for the non-early birds.

We haven't gotten the early-bird check-in before our last cruise in December.

It used to be that if you check in right at 24 hours prior, you would almost certainly get in the A group, but recently we've been in the B group.

Last month, we bought early bird for the first time, and were in the very back of the A group. At check-in, they offered a "get in the A group" for $20. Does that mean that those of us that paid $12.50 for early bird are placed after the $20 for A group?

I miss the days when all we needed to do was arrive early at the airport and wait in line for the plastic boarding passes. In the good old days, we almost always made it into the first 15.

We haven't gotten the early-bird check-in before our last cruise in December.

It used to be that if you check in right at 24 hours prior, you would almost certainly get in the A group, but recently we've been in the B group.

Last month, we bought early bird for the first time, and were in the very back of the A group. At check-in, they offered a "get in the A group" for $20. Does that mean that those of us that paid $12.50 for early bird are placed after the $20 for A group?

I miss the days when all we needed to do was arrive early at the airport and wait in line for the plastic boarding passes. In the good old days, we almost always made it into the first 15.

If they have openings in the A1-15 group, then sometimes they sell those. Those people will go ahead of both the Early Bird and non-Early Bird since the best they can get is A16.

The "at the gate" sale of the A1-A15 seats is the greatest scam that Southwest ever invented. It's pure genius.

Scam?? If you really need more room for your legs, and need the Exit rows, this is a great alternative if you have a B or C Boarding Pass. BTW, the cost is $40 now.

All this paying extra and you still have no guarantee of a good seat. I just don't understand the appeal of this airline.

I understand I am in the minority on this, but I just like to know what my seat will be when i book. (and what boarding group I will be in)

Edited by TruckerDave

We are also new to Southwest. My group consists of 88 yr old mom in a wheelchair, my brother, his wife and me. I understand mom and I will board early due to the chair. My brother bought EB for him and his wife. Based on this would it be a problem if I saved the 2 seats next to us for them? Nice to have my brother upon landing to handle carry ons but not really needed. Just thinking since they did pay for EB I could save the seats and if someone wanted them I would say certainly! I don't like chair hogs, etc.

Scam?? If you really need more room for your legs, and need the Exit rows, this is a great alternative if you have a B or C Boarding Pass. BTW, the cost is $40 now.

And what happens when you spend $40 (or, say, $80 per couple) for your A1 to A15 boarding, get on, and the plane as 50 through passengers who have all taken the good seats? That's not uncommon at Southwest...it happens quite frequently. Most recently, I was psyched to find myself A50 (though there were only about 25 people who boarded ahead of me) on account of checking in at the exact first possible second. I boarded my MCI-SAN flight only to find out there were 73 through passengers from Chicago, and I ended up in the back of the plane. Thank gosh I hadn't spent any money, let alone the A1 to A15 upsell. They were definitely selling them, though, and I am sure someone bit. I wonder where the heck they ended up in the plane, and how pissed they were.

Southwest has it down. They're really smart. If American, Delta or United said "give us $40 and we'll absolutely make sure you get an extra legroom seat, or a seat near the front, or whatever you want because you can actually pick the exact seat", people would (and do) say that they are trying to milk every penny out of the consumer simply to get a decent seat. However, when Southwest says "give us $40 for a CHANCE at getting a 'better' seat that may or may not have more legroom", people think it's great. I don't get it...but then again, I have lost any love for Southwest over the last couple of years.

Just my two cents. Yes, I think it's a scam. Sorry if I offend anyone with that term, but I stand by it. To me, it's much smarter to spend the $12.50 to get Early Bird and a decent chance of being in A group, than to end up in B or C and spend the $40 at the gate for potentially the same seat.

Edited by Zach1213

If you fly SW frequently, you try to book Originating flights ! I never buy upgrade at gate for flights not originating at the city I'm flying out from.

Booking originating flights is not always easy, depending on where you live. Here in Kansas City, I would say the majority of WN flights are through services, not originating or terminating services. If I want to fly WN from MCI-SAN, and there's only one nonstop a day, I am not going to make a stop in LAS or PHX or DEN simply because the nonstop isn't originating in MCI. There's a good chance that MCI-LAS flight is originating somewhere else too.

Also, I would say that a lot of the people who do the $40 upgrade are not experienced travelers (just a guess), who would have no idea how to even start checking if the flight they are about to book, often chosen purely for convenience or price purposes, is starting in their city or simply stopping through their city of departure.

Booking originating flights is not always easy, depending on where you live. Here in Kansas City, I would say the majority of WN flights are through services, not originating or terminating services. If I want to fly WN from MCI-SAN, and there's only one nonstop a day, I am not going to make a stop in LAS or PHX or DEN simply because the nonstop isn't originating in MCI. There's a good chance that MCI-LAS flight is originating somewhere else too.

Also, I would say that a lot of the people who do the $40 upgrade are not experienced travelers (just a guess), who would have no idea how to even start checking if the flight they are about to book, often chosen purely for convenience or price purposes, is starting in their city or simply stopping through their city of departure.

You are absolutely right. Being an experienced flier has certainly helped in making decisions. Asking Gate agents about "thru" passengers helps. Of course, reading this thread helps with information too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how far out Southwest allows booking on flights? We are scheduled to cruise beginning of August and so I was wondering when those flights would open. Thanks

There is a sticky near the top of the Cruise Air post listings that lists the dates of various airlines

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1217350

Right now, Southwest is open until June 30th. On January 27th, they open through August 8th. However, most other airlines are already open for August and beyond, so don't limit yourself to Southwest unless you really want to.

Edited by Zach1213

And what happens when you spend $40 (or, say, $80 per couple) for your A1 to A15 boarding, get on, and the plane as 50 through passengers who have all taken the good seats? That's not uncommon at Southwest...it happens quite frequently. Most recently, I was psyched to find myself A50 (though there were only about 25 people who boarded ahead of me) on account of checking in at the exact first possible second. I boarded my MCI-SAN flight only to find out there were 73 through passengers from Chicago, and I ended up in the back of the plane. Thank gosh I hadn't spent any money, let alone the A1 to A15 upsell. They were definitely selling them, though, and I am sure someone bit. I wonder where the heck they ended up in the plane, and how pissed they were.

Southwest has it down. They're really smart. If American, Delta or United said "give us $40 and we'll absolutely make sure you get an extra legroom seat, or a seat near the front, or whatever you want because you can actually pick the exact seat", people would (and do) say that they are trying to milk every penny out of the consumer simply to get a decent seat. However, when Southwest says "give us $40 for a CHANCE at getting a 'better' seat that may or may not have more legroom", people think it's great. I don't get it...but then again, I have lost any love for Southwest over the last couple of years.

Just my two cents. Yes, I think it's a scam. Sorry if I offend anyone with that term, but I stand by it. To me, it's much smarter to spend the $12.50 to get Early Bird and a decent chance of being in A group, than to end up in B or C and spend the $40 at the gate for potentially the same seat.

Delta is doing what you suggested it is called economy comfort, they sell the first 5 rows of economy with an extra 4in of legroom and boarding in zone 1 for extra money. It varies from $9 to $100 depending on the flight.

Mike

Are there seats on WN (besides exit row) that have more legroom? One poster mentioned that as reason to buy up to that $40 "upgrade". I thought WN was "same seat, same legroom for all on every plane…"

At least the upgrade to EC on Delta does have more legroom and a little more recline.

Are there seats on WN (besides exit row) that have more legroom? One poster mentioned that as reason to buy up to that $40 "upgrade". I thought WN was "same seat, same legroom for all on every plane…"

At least the upgrade to EC on Delta does have more legroom and a little more recline.

To my knowledge, only exit rows have more legroom. Also, before you grab that exit row seat, check if the seat reclines. We've been surprised a few times.

Edited by clarea

To my knowledge, only exit rows have more legroom. Also, before you grab that exit row seat, check if the seat reclines. We've been surprised a few times.

Well aware of the non-reclining exit row…

I remember those bad old days where you didn't get your boarding card for connecting flights - they still had those physical card you had to hold. And, I have been bitten by the "through" flight where I had a decent number, only to get on the plane and find that most of the seats were already taken at the originating airport… Swore off WN after that. Fortunately, my home airport is a Delta fortress, so the prices stay reasonable on competing WN routes. I also like the ability to chose aircraft that have 2 seat rows - I get a tad claustrophobic.

The 1st row bulkhead seats have more legroom.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

We are also new to Southwest. My group consists of 88 yr old mom in a wheelchair, my brother, his wife and me. I understand mom and I will board early due to the chair. My brother bought EB for him and his wife. Based on this would it be a problem if I saved the 2 seats next to us for them? Nice to have my brother upon landing to handle carry ons but not really needed. Just thinking since they did pay for EB I could save the seats and if someone wanted them I would say certainly! I don't like chair hogs, etc.

Southwest flies all 737's which 3-3 seating, meaning 3 seats on each side of the aisle. If you literally want to all be beside each other in one row, you have either 3 on one side plus the opposite aisle seat, (or you could do the 2 aisle seats and the 2 middle seats.) Having said that, how much conversing can the person in the window seat really do with the person across the aisle? If, as you said, you mainly just want your brother nearby to help with carry on bags, keep this in mind: Generally, they are going to want your mom to remain seated while others deplane, and then they will bring the wheelchair down the jet way for her. So regardless of where he's seated, your brother can just wait til the end to deplane with you and your mom. Since the other pax will already be off the plane, he can easily get to wherever your seats are to help with bags. :)