A Few Questions Regarding Dress

adnater

I'm going on my first cruise when my husband returns home from deployment. He left just a couple weeks after we got married and we're calling this our real honeymoon. We're looking at an 8 day cruise on the MSC to the Caribbean (open to other options as I know nothing about cruises, so send me a message if you have tips!) Anyways, I saw another post about bringing a wedding dress. Which I thought would be nice after seeing we could get pictures done on the boat with them. I think would turn out really nice, I'm going to attach a picture of my wedding dress to see what yall think. It may be over the top? But I also wanted to know what others thought about wearing a prom dress for formal night. (If I can still fit into it, it will be 5 years old in May) I absolutely loved my prom dress and would LOVE to have an excuse to wear it again, seeing as how I paid so much for it. I'll attach pictures of it too. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any tips. Thanks in advance!! :)

Scan_Pic0001.jpg.6621efd8bd8fea1e70472b1624524ff1.jpg

Scan_Pic0002.jpg.e582b01290041c6ec975440ad6410397.jpg

936521_10201868998631268_983796125_n.jpg.2ef00a3054df46ade7000eedfab1f646.jpg

I'm going on my first cruise when my husband returns home from deployment. He left just a couple weeks after we got married and we're calling this our real honeymoon. We're looking at an 8 day cruise on the MSC to the Caribbean (open to other options as I know nothing about cruises, so send me a message if you have tips!) Anyways, I saw another post about bringing a wedding dress. Which I thought would be nice after seeing we could get pictures done on the boat with them. I think would turn out really nice, I'm going to attach a picture of my wedding dress to see what yall think. It may be over the top? But I also wanted to know what others thought about wearing a prom dress for formal night. (If I can still fit into it, it will be 5 years old in May) I absolutely loved my prom dress and would LOVE to have an excuse to wear it again, seeing as how I paid so much for it. I'll attach pictures of it too. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any tips. Thanks in advance!! :)

Love both your dresses. I was on MCS (I have sailed many lines) and MSC is the only one I would never go back on. I got tired of hearing every thing in five different languages. The food was so-so. It is a different cruise line and many love it. But not my cup of tea.

I thank your husband for his service.

Edited by geocruiser

Thank yall! He'll be gone for 6 months, thankfully. MSC had the best prices and I read were they were getting more English speaking crew members, but I could be wrong. I didn't hear a lot of good things about Carnival, but again, I could be wrong. I am starting from square one here. Lol. We're not flying in, so if it wouldn't be weird. Bringing it wouldn't be an issue.

I'd suggest that considering this is a special cruise for you! that you look a little more upmarket. Princess might be a good choice. Depending in your budget, Azamara or Windstar are other options if you can catch a sale. When comparing lines, compare ALL costs evenly. If you drink and alcohol is included, it might still be a better option even if the fare is a bit higher.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

The wedding dress would be perfect, since this cruise will be your real Honeymoon. The pink gown is also beautiful, and will look amazing in pictures.

Have you checked out Princess, HAL, Royal Caribbean, or Celebrity? They are also fine cruise lines, which still do formal nights.

I do not know about MSC specifically but on most cruise lines you can book a photography appointment so they can spend more time with you. I don't think you would want to wear your gown to dinner (you wouldn't do that on a typical honeymoon) but it makes sense to me to take it for pictures, especially if you didn't get many at your wedding.

I wouldn't worry too much about the negativity on here regarding MSC. I've never sailed MSC, but knowing that your husband had been gone for 6 months, I'm sure you two week just be happy to be together.

Enjoy your cruise! Thank you for the sacrifice your family makes. If you need more formal wear there is a thread called recycling clothes among members where ladies give dressed away that they no longer need or want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

some of you folks are real downers.. being just married and hubby deployed probably means money isn't growing on the back yard money tree.

any day on a cruise is better then a day at home and I would think any day on a cruise with a new hubby just back from being deployed would be awesome.

both dresses are very nice.. the 'prom' one certainly doesn't have that prom feeling it would be a perfect for a dress up evening. the wedding dress is one of the nicer I have seem on these forums. if over packing isn't a problem take it and enjoy it.

some of you folks are real downers.. being just married and hubby deployed probably means money isn't growing on the back yard money tree.

any day on a cruise is better then a day at home and I would think any day on a cruise with a new hubby just back from being deployed would be awesome.

both dresses are very nice.. the 'prom' one certainly doesn't have that prom feeling it would be a perfect for a dress up evening. the wedding dress is one of the nicer I have seem on these forums. if over packing isn't a problem take it and enjoy it.

I totally agree Sherlock! being just married you really don't care where you go or what you do, it's just so nice being together ESPECIALLY if you've been apart for an extended period as this couple had been. I'm sure they will have an amazing time!

Make sure and let the cruise line know you are newlyweds and that he just returned from deployment. I'm not sure if they will do anything special for you, but it doesn't hurt to let them know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Since you don't have to fly, I would definitely take both dresses. I love to watch "Say Yes to the Dress" and yours is among the prettiest I've seen.

Going in with a good attitude, I think most people can have a good time on most cruise lines. The OP and husband might really like the more European flair of MSC.

adnater - be sure to come back and post some pictures after your fantastic honeymoon cruise!

Your dresses are lovely:) and please thank your husband for his

service.

Since this is your first cruise? I am going to suggest finding a local

travel agency who specializies in "Cruising". It is against Cruise

Critic policy to name travel agenices but that is why I am suggesting

finding a local one in your area. There are so many cruiselines out

there that offer different things.

Again, your dresses are beautiful and I will tell you most of the

mass market lines still offer formal nights and you are going to

look beautiful:)

Edited by Lois R

I feel telling the truth about how we liked/disliked cruise line is not a downer. We have sailed on Princess for less that MSC. Six of us sailed with on MSC, of which four were not born in USA. English was not their tongue. So they enjoyed talking to other in their native tongues. The cruise was very different for us. When we went, MSC did not give you a glass of water at dinner. Not even tap water. You had to buy the water at dinner. The line is different and not like what we were use to.

I agree with Lois R get a good TA to talk to.

By the way we were on MSC Opera and the ship was pretty.

I feel telling the truth about how we liked/disliked cruise line is not a downer. We have sailed on Princess for less that MSC. Six of us sailed with on MSC, of which four were not born in USA. English was not their tongue. So they enjoyed talking to other in their native tongues. The cruise was very different for us. When we went, MSC did not give you a glass of water at dinner. Not even tap water. You had to buy the water at dinner. The line is different and not like what we were use to.

I agree with Lois R get a good TA to talk to.

By the way we were on MSC Opera and the ship was pretty.

relax.. I gave my opinion and you gave yours. no need to get your panties all twisted. hell, maybe they are multilingual and choose the ship on purpose. We were on the SOS in the Med this past fall and english speaking folks seem to be at best 50% of the passengers.

My husband is in the USAF and works on A-10 planes. Money is an issue for us as we are don't want to blow all of our savings. The one ones in our price range and the month we'd be sailing were MSC and Carnival, I definitely want a balcony room so that we can sit out there or watch the sun rise/set. We're not multilingual but it normally does not bother me that people speak in their native tongue. I do appreciate everyone responding and I feel more confident taking my dresses. Now I just have to decide on which cruise! Unfortunately we don't have a lot of local travel agencies so I'll have to do some researching to see if I can find one. If ya'll have any more tips feel free to keep them coming! Thanks again for all your responses!

relax.. I gave my opinion and you gave yours. no need to get your panties all twisted. hell, maybe they are multilingual and choose the ship on purpose. We were on the SOS in the Med this past fall and english speaking folks seem to be at best 50% of the passengers.

Mine are not twisted! That hurts too much:) You said that you were on SOS. Can you tell me what that is and how you like it?

Adnater,

If you are able to travel the last minute you can pick up some great bargains with a cruise. Some friends of mine took two Princess's cruise out of Fl. in March for $299. each for seven nights. of course you have to be able to get to the port at a good price too.

PLEASE, heed other warnings. Do not go on MSC unless you are Italian national. Its a European budget ship designed for European cruisers.Consider a non balcony cabin on one of the ships catering to Americans. CCL,NCL, RCL, Princess, Celebrity. Cabins are pretty much the same, just pay double for a tiny balcony you may not use except for a few minutes a day. Do a search for "discount cruise agencies" for best pricing.

Edited by zoncom

Mine are not twisted! That hurts too much:) You said that you were on SOS. Can you tell me what that is and how you like it?

Adnater,

If you are able to travel the last minute you can pick up some great bargains with a cruise. Some friends of mine took two Princess's cruise out of Fl. in March for $299. each for seven nights. of course you have to be able to get to the port at a good price too.

RCI = Serenade of the Seas, Nov 3rd out of Barcelona.. room steward always had room done before we came back from breakfast on sea days, port days we don't know but he was done before we got back. MDR/MTD was perfect never has to wait, food was fine and always had a 2 top with the some waiter team. (Carlos and Joe, excellent btw) ship shows were ship shows what can I say. disco theme night was fun. smoked cigars with a regular group of guys at the pool. the ladies all smoked cigs. no complaints. had to take the long way around getting back to Barcelona with a heavy storm coming in. got there on time and RCI delivered us to the airport in plenty of time to catch a 10:30am flight. we are booked the SOS for their NOLA to Barcelona crossing the end of April.

how many folks want to chance waiting for a last minute deal when we are talking a delayed honeymoon? as he's military he probably isn't real flexible with his leave time.

Edited by Sherlock43031

PLEASE, heed other warnings. Do not go on MSC unless you are Italian national. Its a European budget ship designed for European cruisers.Consider a non balcony cabin on one of the ships catering to Americans. CCL,NCL, RCL, Princess, Celebrity. Cabins are pretty much the same, just pay double for a tiny balcony you may not use except for a few minutes a day. Do a search for "discount cruise agencies" for best pricing.

found on CC reviews..

MSC Divina Fellow Passengers

Passengers onboard MSC Divina are generally North American. All announcements are made in English, which is the primary language spoken onboard. (This differs from MSC's other ships, which usually offer all announcements in five languages to cater to a variety of European passengers.) If a large foreign language-speaking group is onboard, the crew might add announcements in that language, though English always will be first. When school is out, families are common, especially as MSC lets kids younger than 11 sail free when sharing a cabin with two paying adults. Divina draws from a wide age range.

RCI = Serenade of the Seas, Nov 3rd out of Barcelona.. room steward always had room done before we came back from breakfast on sea days, port days we don't know but he was done before we got back. MDR/MTD was perfect never has to wait, food was fine and always had a 2 top with the some waiter team. (Carlos and Joe, excellent btw) ship shows were ship shows what can I say. disco theme night was fun. smoked cigars with a regular group of guys at the pool. the ladies all smoked cigs. no complaints. had to take the long way around getting back to Barcelona with a heavy storm coming in. got there on time and RCI delivered us to the airport in plenty of time to catch a 10:30am flight. we are booked the SOS for their NOLA to Barcelona crossing the end of April.

how many folks want to chance waiting for a last minute deal when we are talking a delayed honeymoon? as he's military he probably isn't real flexible with his leave time.

Thanks for the info. I did not know what SOS meant other than "save our ship"!:) I also thought it was a new cruise line. I have sail RCCl three time before and will be going on Freedom of the Seas (1/26). This will be my first time with MTD. We asked for a two top. I see it worked for you and I hope it does for me too. I have done it on Princess and Azamara and it was fine.

Thanks again.

Last minute is fine if you can wait and live near the port. But most can not just take off.

Edited by geocruiser

Guest maddycat

When are you planning to sail? Out of what port? Try going to the different cruise lines' websites and search for military discounts, resident discounts, and last minute deals. Last minute deals are usually with in 30 - 45 days of sailing.

PS: both dresses are beautiful. Bring both on your cruise.

When are you planning to sail? Out of what port? Try going to the different cruise lines' websites and search for military discounts, resident discounts, and last minute deals. Last minute deals are usually with in 30 - 45 days of sailing.

PS: both dresses are beautiful. Bring both on your cruise.

Princess gives OBC

From Princess's web site.

Military Benefit for Veterans and Active/Retired Personnel

To thank the brave men and women of the American and Canadian militaries for their service, Princess Cruises® offers up to $250 free onboard spending money* for veterans as well as active, retired or disabled military personnel. This special military benefit is eligible on any cruise, any time of the year and can be used to purchase a wide variety of amenities and experiences including Lotus Spa® treatments; dining in our specialty restaurants; gifts, jewelry and clothing in our onboard boutiques; and Princess Cruises shore excursions.

Military Benefits: Up to $250 Free Onboard Spending Money*

Cruise Length

Amount

14 days or longer $250 per person

7 - 13 days $100 per person

6 days or less $50 per person

Thank you both for your service to our country!!!

Your dresses are beautiful and you should wear them but only if you post your photos back here. ;)

Have sailed Princess and Carnival each 3 times and loved them both. We're a wee bit older than you are (I'm guessing-Haha!) and celebrated our 30th anniversary on a Princess ship. Balcony cabins are the best if you can spring it.

Enjoy your honeymoon and your life!:)

I hope you don't mind the non-dress-related responses that your question has brought up.

First of all, I think both of your dresses are beautiful, and entirely appropriate for your cruise. Part of the fun is dressing up - something we don't get to do at home very often.

May I ask what port you plan to cruise from? I'm guessing there is one (only) that you can drive to.

Will your husband still be on active duty? If so, a dress uniform is absolutely appropriate on formal nights, and would generate a lot of thank-you's.

A number of cruise lines give discounts and/or other benefits for active military people and veterans. This is something you should ask about when shopping for the cruise. Also, Celebrity and Holland America, because of their demographics, are likely to have more veterans aboard, who will appreciate his service. They both also have very good food, amenities, service and atmosphere. Please consider one of these more upscale lines.

I love both of your dresses and you should definitely bring them. You will have a wonderful time on any cruise with the right attitude (which I can tell you have), but don't discount Carnival--we've never had a bad experience with them; I might not book them for the 3-4 nighters, or during Spring Break, though.

We have not sailed MSC, but admit I have been turned off by some of the comments of those who have.

Princess, Celebrity and NCL are pretty competitive in price. I like RCL too, but they tend to be more expensive, especially the big new ships. They do offer a lot though.

Have a wonderful cruise and honeymoon--thanks to your husband and all who serve!