First Time Cruiser Needs Help!

BostonJack

Hi there! My boyfriend and I are first time cruisers leaving our of Port Canaveral on January 18th, 2014. We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. We fly into Orlando on January 17th, the day before, and I have rented and car to get us to our hotel in Cape Canaveral. We are staying in an ocean suite on the Carnival Dream and don't know what to expect. If some of you experienced cruisers can give us any tips, suggestions or helpful hints as to what we should do on board, in the ports or traveling to and from the ship (we are still trying to figure out how to get back to MCO from the ship) it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(Additionally, we have $100 rewards on the boat and don't know how this works)

:)

If you haven't explored the Ports of Call section of cruise critic, you should. Lots of great ideas. Many people don't like Belize, but I love it. The first time there, we did the Shark Ray Ally snorkeling and visit to Caye Caulker with a private excursion group. I now see where Carnival offers this type of excursion. The second time there, we booked cave tubing, also through a private company.,the rate was cheaper and we got to float longer, with a really great lunch afterwards. In Roatan, we stayed at the port and zip lined. If I get back there, I would visit West Bay. In Cozumel, we went to Mr. sanchos and had a good day. I've never been to Costa Maya.

With your $100 OBC, it will just be applied to your sail and sign account. If you are in a suite, you will have priority boarding.

Sailing out of Port Lauderdale is fun. Enjoy your first cruise.

Loved, loved, loved Costa Maya--it is really great. When you first get off the pier, you are in a tourist area with shops, bars, and a pool. Last time there, we went thru the tourist area and out the back and took a taxi to Mahahual--the town just a mile or two down the coast. There is a wonderfully beautiful beach there at Tropicante. Look it up on the Internet and email Steve Uhl. He will set you up with beach loungers, food, and drink. You can also get great massages on the beach there. It was such a relaxing day, we didn't want to leave.

Here's hoping your cruise is a Dream. Bon Voyage!

(The picture below was taken at Tropicante Beach)

Edited by forwardcabin

some ideas for first timers:

first day everyone rushes to eat -- you will have priority boarding with the suite so beat the rush, grab some lunch and then find a good place to watch home port as you set off. I like to use the first day to have a good walk about and explore the ship. Check out where your dining table is you have an assigned time when it gets posted at 1:30. There will be lots of chances to grab a drink of the day -- they aren't free but get charged to your sign and sail card (that's where the $100 helps, you've got some money in the bank already). Find your cabin, unpack. Get ready to eat, and see what evening shows you want to go to.

Cruises can be as busy and engaged as you choose, or as quiet and as lazy as you want -- so after day 1 its all your own style, including what you do in which port, from active to passive.

You will see lots of ideas and suggestions from others: those you like will be those that fir your style. Beauty of the cruise is the variety and opportunity it offers.

Hi there! My boyfriend and I are first time cruisers leaving our of Port Canaveral on January 18th, 2014. We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. We fly into Orlando on January 17th, the day before, and I have rented and car to get us to our hotel in Cape Canaveral. We are staying in an ocean suite on the Carnival Dream and don't know what to expect. If some of you experienced cruisers can give us any tips, suggestions or helpful hints as to what we should do on board, in the ports or traveling to and from the ship (we are still trying to figure out how to get back to MCO from the ship) it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Don't worry about a ride back to MCO. When you get on the ship, just purchase a transfer at the purser's desk. It will be $35.00. You can also purchase this ahead of time by:

Login to Manage My Cruise on http://www.ccl.com

Click "View Details"

Choose "Plan activities"

Select "Ground Transportation"

Every purchase you make on the ship - drinks, pictures, excursions or bingo will go on your room account. When you board they will ask you for a credit card. At the end of the cruise your expenses will hit this card unless you go to the purser's office on the final night and pay it in cash. Any on board credits (such as your $100 rewards) will come off your final tab.

For Cozumel - I'd recommend taking a taxi to Paradise Beach (google it). Make sure you arrange the correct time for the driver to come back and get you. VIP - make sure you have an old fashioned watch or something that you will know what the ship's time is. When you are on an island and they say be back by 4:30, this is the ship's time, NOT island time. Since you are a first time cruiser, this is something you might not be aware of.

Have a great cruise!

its a 40-55 min drive to port from MCO, so start shopping for good rates on shuttles...

If you haven't explored the Ports of Call section of cruise critic, you should. Lots of great ideas. Many people don't like Belize, but I love it. The first time there, we did the Shark Ray Ally snorkeling and visit to Caye Caulker with a private excursion group. I now see where Carnival offers this type of excursion. The second time there, we booked cave tubing, also through a private company.,the rate was cheaper and we got to float longer, with a really great lunch afterwards. In Roatan, we stayed at the port and zip lined. If I get back there, I would visit West Bay. In Cozumel, we went to Mr. sanchos and had a good day. I've never been to Costa Maya.

With your $100 OBC, it will just be applied to your sail and sign account. If you are in a suite, you will have priority boarding.

Sailing out of Port Lauderdale is fun. Enjoy your first cruise.

I'm assuming you meant to say Port Canaveral.

Wow, first cruise!! Congrats!

When you board the ship you'll be in the atrium area. Someone may hand you a Fun Times, the daily list of what's happening. You can also pick up one at Gurest Services counter where there will also be a small map of the ship. There is a folded section in the Fun Times that's perforated for you to tear off, keep the quick guide to the day's events in your pocket.

You can carry on a bottle of wine or champagne per adult. You may have to ask steward for ice--this is new--ice isn't getting put into cabins until late if at all unless it's asked for.

If you drink a lot of soda you can carry on a 12 pack per person. If you take a collapsable cooler, the steward will keep it filled with ice at your request. Put it on the floor of the shower so it doesn't leak on something.

Get over to your roll call--those who are on the trip with you from CC. You can get lots of hints from them too.

Have a blast!!

I've only been 2 cruises, both out of. Pt canaveral. First east and second west. ( your itinerary this past February). When we stepped on a ship for the fist time we were a bit lost. One of the best pieces of advice we received was to study the deck plans. This really helped me figure out where to go, what deck to head for. (Lido!) you should have priority I believe with a suite so should be able to go directly to your room and drop off your carry ons. (If you don't know this you can carry on 12 up to 20 ounce soft drinks, water, etc. and 1 bottle wine each) also, studying deck plans gave me an idea where everything was located. Head to lido and get a drink and bite to eat. Then I suggest you roam around the ship and get a feel.

I would also research excursions or places to visit each port. Don't just show up in Belize and think you will find something to do. Figure out what you want to do the most.

We also rented a car in MCO and stayed near pt canaveral. It was really nice to have a car. DH dropped me off at port with the luggage and returned the car. Didn't have to lug the luggage around that way. As I was waiting and watching the previous cruisers get off a porter spotted me and took our checked bags.

Relax and have a wonderful time. It does take a bit to get used to the ship layout. I had the worst time trying to figure out which way is which when you can't see outside. :rolleyes:

In Belize, I would suggest doing a water-based excursion through Carnival. Most of them have boats that will pick you up directly from the ship instead of having to tender to the mainland first. This is much easier than other excursions where you have to tender in first an then take transportation somewhere.

Have fun on your first cruise. Once you start, you can't stop! I have gone on one every year since my first cruise. You can also use your $100 credit towards your gratuities($11 pp/d). Also keep checking the price of your cruise. If the price drops and you have price protection, email them and they will give you the difference in onboard credit. I have used mine for gratuities and shopping at the Fun Shops.

I did this cruise back in May and also going to be sailing on the 18th as well!!! Like others have said go with the flow. Its a vacation just relax :-) . We do have a roll call going for this cruise as well, and have a meet n greet set up as well too ! Only 2 more weeks :-)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

When dining in the MDR be sure to try anything and everything you always wanted to. You can order more than one choice or two of an item. Also if you don't see a dessert you want you can order a banana split (not on menu but they will fix it) also if you try the chocolate melting cake order a side of peanut butter, it's so good with it.

If you like comedy and want to go to adult shows, which we have always found to be great, go early as it fills up fast.

Take a highlighter, because you can always pick up a extra caper ( tells you days events) leave one in room and highlight what you doing that way you will always know what the other person is doing if your not together.

Always remember you will be on ship time when off the ship.

In Belize we went cave tubing with a private company, was great. Best advise I could give is study the cruise boards. Feel free to ask specific questions if you need to.

For a first-time cruiser, I wonder if you'd be more comfortable booking a ship excursion? They will have books at the shore-ex desk, as well as one in your suite, describing all the excursions.

Don't feel like you should do everything. And maybe don't plan too much.

I agree about the dining room...try new things. If you don't like something, get something else. If you want more, just ask. Oh, and if you have set-time dining, please be on time.

Some of the shows are nice but our favourite activities are those that involve our fellow passengers.

You will get a paper in your cabin detailing each day's activities. I keep an extra. It helps me remember what all we did and how much fun we had. At my age, I need all the help remembering I can get.

The deli is aft (rear of the ship)...try it out. I love the Reubens, especially with their potato salad.

I did this cruise back in May and also going to be sailing on the 18th as well!!! Like others have said go with the flow. Its a vacation just relax :-) . We do have a roll call going for this cruise as well, and have a meet n greet set up as well too ! Only 2 more weeks :-)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Us too! Can't wait, we have blizzard like conditions coming in tonight and tomorrow with temps dipping into the negatives on Monday. I'm so ready!!

We will be sailing with you. This is our 6th cruise, and the second time on the Dream. We sailed on it back in 2011. It's an amazing ship and you'll love it. We use kingofcarrentals@hotmail.com for rentals. He can help you arrange to drop off the car near the port and then pick one up again afterwards.

The one thing we missed our last cruise on the Dream was the pasta bar. We found it on our last day at sea. This time we will try to get there more often.

At Cozumel we are going to Nachicocom Beach Club. We've been there before and love that it's AL and we can enjoy the scenery and the pool.

At Belize we are probably just going to stay on the ship or possibly take the tender and walk around the shopping area. No excursion planned there.

At Roatan we have booked the Best of Roatan private tour with Victor Bodden. We will do the South Shore Walkway tour, some beach time and what ever else they suggest.

At Costa Maya we have 2 chairs reserved at Tropicante. We booked through w.sandalsandskis.com which we found from the forums here.

This time it's just my husband and I so we are going to enjoy the beaches this cruise. When we take the kids we are more active and do the zip lines and four wheelers. This time just beaches.

Your on board credit can be used for anything you purchase while on the ship or for your gratuities at the end of the cruise. We had $250 last time and it was nice not to have the huge bill at the end of the week.

We love cruising and hope you do also. Remember to pack sea sick meds just in case. Once in a while I have to take them. So far we've had very calm seas when we've cruised in the past.

Enjoy!

8-14 inches of snow and wind chill at -25 degrees predicted for tonight thru tomorrow night. Lord have mercy on us and this cruise can't come soon enough!

First time in Cozumel we rented a dune buggy for the day and drove around the island and had a few drinks at this bar way way far out and then ended up at Paradise beach. It was a nice day.

Second time in Cozumel, on our cruise last February, we just spent the day at Paradise Beach. It was a nice relaxing day.

For Belize we did Cave Tubing and LOVED IT. I was a little worried about missing the last tender to the ship. We asked our guide to have us back a half hour before the last tender left and he got us back exactly when the last tender left. Luckily there was a long line of people still waiting to board so we dodged the bullet there. I would recommend paying the extra money and booking through the cruise line just for piece of mind.

Roatan for sure book a tour with Victor Boadan. We had our own private guide who took us around the island to take pictures, ate lunch, had a few drinks, did some shopping and went to the place where we got to see the monkeys. Fun fun fun day.

My recommendation for onboard is to do as little or as much as you want. Don't feel like you have to do everything. If you just want to sit by the pool with a drink in one hand and a book in the other then do it. Or if you want to spend the night playing black jack instead of going to the show then so be it. I personally like doing all the trivia games and the comedy club and watching a movie on the lido at night.

Oh and at least try the dining room for dinner at least once. I know a lot of people don't like it, for one reason or another, and that's fine, but at least try it once.

You are going to have a great time. We have cruised on the Dream a couple of times and will be on again on 1/18 too as well as in Feb. before it leaves for another port. We booked a Cloud 9 cabin because we plan on using the T-pool, steam rooms, etc. These facilities are limited access and are available to purchase on the first day for about $250/couple for the week. Worth it in our opinion and the reason we booked Jan and Feb.

You can keep track of your expenses on the room TV. Nice to prevent any surprises at the end of the cruise.

You will receive a comprehensive listing of the following days activities each evening. There is so much to do with many activities overlaping we find it helpful to bring a yellow highlighter to help plan the next day.

Digital is great. Take lots of pictures - on excursions, in the pool, at the beach, at dinner, during games, in bars, on the ship. Great memories of your first cruise.

Cheers!

I loved this itinerary. My favorite for sure. Anyways, in Rotan we went zip lining. Its right at the port across the street. It was only $40 for 12 ziplines.So much fun and felt very safe. In Cozumel we went to Mr. Sancho's beach club. I've been to a few and thought this was the best one. IMO Paradise beach too crowded. Also, the service was very good. Another plus is the bathrooms extremely clean. Good luck on your choices and don't sweat the small stuff. Remember your on vacation.

In Cozumel, it's easy to catch a cab. Lots of beaches, shopping, restuarants, etc. If you plan to do any souvenir shopping, I would do it here. You dock here.

Costa Maya: nice pool and bars at the port area with some shopping. I didn't leave the port area because it was an unexpected stop (no time to plan) and none of the Carnival excursions were of interest. You dock here.

Belize: Shopping is expensive at the port area. I would recommend doing a Carnival excursion. Beautiful country but it shows you how much we take for granted.

Roatan: one of my favorite ports. Shopping is reasonable. I remember it before Carnival developed their port area. You'll dock at Mahogany Bay. There are some stores, a couple bars, a little market and lift to the beach area. At the beach, there are lockers, restuarants, showers, playground, shade, etc. I recommend Victor Bodden tours to see the island. You can go to the cameo factory too and find good local restuarants.

Congrats on the first cruise!

Cozumel -Mr. Sanchos is really fantastic. Been to Cozumel numerous times and this is the best IMO.....but see the downtown a bit first. You can get a free shot of tequila in many stores while shopping.

Belize - so much to do, depending on your interests. I have been to Goffs Caye a few times...simply majestic if you want to do a little snorkeling, sunning or rum punching.....

Costa Maya - been there only once

Roatan - if you want a tour, book Victor Bodden tours. His team is really great. Next time I am there, I will hit the beach as there is really not a lot to see or do here....

However, for Ship stuff:

Get the shipmate app. You can download the whole ship layout on your smartphone and refer to it while you try and find where you were 30 minutes before....

And join the roll call, I find these very helpful even tho I have cruised many times.

And book the steakhouse....well worth it....

Have a blast.....

HI all!

I took my 1st cruise on Carnival Dream in April & bought Faster to the Fun so got on early. Since you have a suite apparently you get on early too.

My tip is to take a good look at the Carnival "Funtimes" & plan what you want to do. I found the tour of the ship the 1st day very helpful.

If you're interested in cooking the demo at the Steakhouse was nice & you get a little serving of each dish. Get there early for a good seat.

It's probably best to book Carnival excursions if you want to explore the ports further afield..

I took the bus ($3) over to Mahahual in Costa Maya & got a taxi back ($2 & tip). There's free wifi at the port in Costa Maya..

You're going to have a great time! I'd do that cruise again in a heartbeat!

~ Jo ~ :)