Concierge room. Is it worth it?

gwb2004

I still think it's really sad, how much space they cut out of ALL the suites on the new ships, compared to the older ones.

If you've never sailed in a suite on the Magic or Wonder, you might believe these (on the new ships) are special, but they're truly disappointing. I wouldn't book one (in fact I didn't) after having only cruised in suites.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Did you feel the suites on the older ships were worth getting beyond the space? The cabins look nice but not having a lounge on there is such a huge drawback for us...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

12000 should be a GREAT cabin! Enjoy it!

We have a queen at home and it felt about the same to us...now it could have been a bit larger, but definitely not smaller.

Below is a photo with the beds out...you can still get around and to both balcony doors.

The murphy bed has enough space between the end of it and the wall, so no problem getting in and out around it...perfect for early and late room service :)

The sofa bed has less space between the end of it and the cabinet/credenza, but you can still get to the balcony that way, just narrower. If this is an issue, you can always move the sofa back towards the dining room. We didn't need to do this, but you *can* as there is PLENTY of space around that table...my DH would store his camera bags (as large as suitcases) against the back of the sofa and we still had space in the dining room.

Obviously when the bedroom doors are open, there is plenty of room to go through there to the back balcony door. With the bedroom doors all closed, you can still get through that way though. We (ds and his friend and cousin) moved the furniture around a LOT at night for their little cabin parties...so the white padded bench that you see actually fits nicely on the right wall closer to the cabin door. (This is where our host always put it at night). We usually kept the armchair that is between the two beds on the left wall by the connecting room door that we never used.

So when bedroom doors are closed, you simply turn right at the sofa bed and can fit through to the dining room (and 2nd balcony door), even room service.

The worst part of the beds open is on the murphy bed. If you look closely at the bottom right of the bed, you will see a brown shape that looks like a cup handle shape...this stuck out a bit from the edge of the bed. At night when it's darker, my mom would think the red blanket is the edge of the bed but it isn't, so she hit that a couple times!

Even with 5 people, there is plenty of space...and I would try to get an extra dining chair to use while you are onboard...

Thanks for the info and picture. Looks good to me as far as space but I agree the room in the classic ships is much better.

Did you feel the suites on the older ships were worth getting beyond the space? The cabins look nice but not having a lounge on there is such a huge drawback for us...

While we enjoyed the lounge, it wasn't a deal breaker for us by any means.

On the classic ships they will leave snacks, appetizers, and desserts in your room daily, and the concierge staff is only a phone call away.

While we enjoyed the lounge, it wasn't a deal breaker for us by any means.

On the classic ships they will leave snacks, appetizers, and desserts in your room daily, and the concierge staff is only a phone call away.

They always ring the door bell when your in the shower!

Sent from my iPad.

They always ring the door bell when your in the shower!

Sent from my iPad.

You made me laugh, but I honestly never had that happen in my 8 or so times in a suite.

Maybe I don't shower often enough! :p

We only booked them for the space.

And loved them. I would only get one on the newer ships if it were a bargain, like inside stateroom cost.

The lounge is really not a big deal to me. One thing a cruise is not lacking is food and drink, and on the classic ships you get that from concierge anyway.

NOW....if they added a pool and hot tubs like NCL has for their suite guests, then it would be closer to being worth it.

BUT... since I can get that on NCL with better (or equal) ports at a much cheaper price, then no....it still isn't worth it.

I always was disappointed in the balconies of the Walt & Roy on the Magic and Wonder, though. They're longer, but not deep, which is a minus if you're moving around out there and others are using the loungers. I do like those balconies on the new ships better....deeper and with hot tubs.

We stayed in suite 12000 in February on the Fantasy. Originally we were supposed to be on deck 11 but due to issues with the room they moved us. Lucky US. The room was beautiful. You are on the bow on the ship and the veranda is something to enjoy. When you are on there all you see is water, can be disconcerting but worth it. There were 4 of us, my husband, my 2 sons, 11 and 9 and myself. Love the space and the 2 full bathrooms. The one thing I do miss from the suites on the Magic is the closet space. Closets not as big on the Fantasy. The other thing about 12000 is the fact that there is an outer door and then and inner door due to the fact you are between the big suites. It was nice because there was a great deal of privacy. The concierge lounge is near by and make it easy to get a treat from there. Our boys were able to go to the lounge and come back to the suite and we did not worry about them. The suite was great. Enjoy 12000

We have Connecting Concierge suites on the Fantasy July 26th category V 12016 & category T 12014 (Total of 7 of us 5 Adults and 2 Little ones) only 10 weeks away

We only booked them for the space.

And loved them. I would only get one on the newer ships if it were a bargain, like inside stateroom cost.

The lounge is really not a big deal to me. One thing a cruise is not lacking is food and drink, and on the classic ships you get that from concierge anyway.

A 2 bedroom is so tempting. ...As are their itineraries. For us the lounge was great in a few ways, one of which was happy hour, for us with late seating that turned into happy hours! :)

Am thinking you get at least receptions with drink drinks? Do they keep the fridge restocked with sodas and water?

Also the lounge was such a nice break from all those people on the ship. .. Sometimes that really felt overwhelming. ..Would love to be on a ship with less people.

Private pool on ncl? Now THAT would be sweet! !

A 2 bedroom is so tempting. ...As are their itineraries. For us the lounge was great in a few ways, one of which was happy hour, for us with late seating that turned into happy hours! :)

Am thinking you get at least receptions with drink drinks? Do they keep the fridge restocked with sodas and water?

Also the lounge was such a nice break from all those people on the ship. .. Sometimes that really felt overwhelming. ..Would love to be on a ship with less people.

Private pool on ncl? Now THAT would be sweet! !

With the space in a two bedroom, we "got away from it all" there. For us, those rooms with three bathrooms were awesome because we have a boy and a girl, and our girl REALLY took her time in there.

They restock the fridge all the time in the Royal and two bedrooms, you have to ask for more in the one bedrooms.

They have one private concierge get together, with drinks and hors d' oeuvres...and a few characters, the Captain, etc.

We've not had a problem finding quiet spaces on the Magic and Wonder.

I just really, really love those two ships. I feel like I'm "home" on them, and for some reason just didn't feel that on the new ships.

Edited by MizDaisy

• 7 months later...
We just returned from a wonderful cruise (our first, ever!) on the Magic, and really enjoyed the concierge 1 br suite we had. I felt like we had our expectations raised by the Disney on-land concierge, though. When I asked about whether we should get water delivered to our room, I was told that water would be provided, and we would have access to the concierge lounge on board to get free drinks, snacks, and bottled water. When we boarded and asked our concierge about the lounge, we were told that on the Magic and Wonder, there is NO concierge lounge and no free bottled water. They gave us a free six pack of bottled water, and put in some canned sodas in the fridge, as compensation for the misinformation we had received. It was never replenished. We were told if we wanted additional bottled water, we would have to pay for it. So the benefits we got for paying more were the extra space, priority boarding, early reservations for a cabana on CC, free snacks delivered without ordering (but they would have been free if we were in a regular room and ordered them through room service), and a litho at the end of the trip. There were a couple of concierge parties (which we did not attend, since they were in conflict with other planned activities), and I am sure there were other things we could have done had we followed up with them. I was very disappointed that Disney couldn't give us coupons for free drinks or bottled water - even if there is no room for an actual room, they could have found a way to give us some of the benefits. We will be on the Magic again in June, but won't be going concierge this time. We will miss the extra space, but it's just not worth the money. On the Fantasy or the Dream? You bet!

I had a similar experience with my mom on the Magic last February. I knew we would not have a lounge & that was fine, but I wanted a bedroom, and Disney did seem to emphasize concierge service was top-notch. On the other ship I sail yearly, my husband and I always book a suite, and so bottled water, sparkling & still, sodas, beer, and mixers are replenished by the butler without even asking, to the point of almost being ridiculous with how much spring water you end up with.

I don't drink much soda and asked for a few more bottles of water in our room on the Magic. The concierge said he would have to charge us. The look on my face must have been interesting, because 3 seconds later, he said he would have water delivered free of charge. For goodness sake, there's no lounge, I wasn't drinking the sodas, so give us a little darn water :p

• 1 year later...
I don't drink much soda and asked for a few more bottles of water in our room on the Magic. The concierge said he would have to charge us. The look on my face must have been interesting, because 3 seconds later, he said he would have water delivered free of charge. For goodness sake, there's no lounge, I wasn't drinking the sodas, so give us a little darn water :p

Hi all,

This is the 1st time we're exploring the idea of a Disney cruise. We've done NCL to Alaska most recently, in a concierge suite about 4 years ago, but that's our most recent cruise (not avid cruisers, I know!).

Now that our son is 4, and a huge Disneyland fan, we're tossing around the idea of doing a trip on the Wonder out of Galveston over Christmas.

Having been pampered on our last cruise, I'm mentally struggling to book a verandah room instead of their 1 bedroom concierge room, even though it's literally half the price (~$9k vs. ~$19k). Reading through these threads makes the decision even more difficult.

Even though it is the Disney cash machine I'm asking about, are they really going to look me in the eye and say there's a charge to keep my refrigerator stocked with water (we don't drink soda)?? I can't imagine that happening, but it seems to be their standard procedure.

I guess I can buy a lot of water for $10k, but I'm thinking that demand for the 'good stuff' on a Christmas cruise would be even higher than other times of the year, which would make having the concierge staff worth a decent amount of money. Ten grand, though...

You can see my dilemma! Suggestions, please.

theBOAT

First of all, you are reading a thread that is several years old. THe Magic now has a concierge lounge. The Wonder will dry dock in September and October, so a lounge might be added at that time. Currently there is no info on the plans for the dry dock.

If there is a lounge, you can get unlimited water and soda there.

Personal opinion, for 3 people I'd rather have 2+ cruises than one cruise in concierge. I can buy a swimming pool full of water for $10K. Yes, the suite will be more roomy, but how much time will you spend in your room? I just don't feel the concierge perks on DCL are worth the price increases.

On some other lines, booking concierge is essentially a "ship within a ship" with private restaurants, pool, etc that are not available to non-concierge guests. On DCL you get a lounge with a few beverages...and anyone can buy the beverages elsewhere. Yes, you will have a person at your beck and call and a short list of nice perks...but not worth doubling the price. If I were to book it, it would be for the space. But I'm OK for a week in a regular room.

First of all' date=' you are reading a thread that is several years old. THe Magic now has a concierge lounge. The Wonder will dry dock in September and October, so a lounge might be added at that time. Currently there is no info on the plans for the dry dock.

If there is a lounge, you can get unlimited water and soda there.

Personal opinion, for 3 people I'd rather have 2+ cruises than one cruise in concierge. I can buy a swimming pool full of water for $10K. Yes, the suite will be more roomy, but how much time will you spend in your room? I just don't feel the concierge perks on DCL are worth the price increases.

On some other lines, booking concierge is essentially a "ship within a ship" with private restaurants, pool, etc that are not available to non-concierge guests. On DCL you get a lounge with a few beverages...and anyone can buy the beverages elsewhere. Yes, you will have a person at your beck and call and a short list of nice perks...but not worth doubling the price. If I were to book it, it would be for the space. But I'm OK for a week in a regular room.[/quote']

I agree, not worth it for what DCL charges. On NCL, the Haven is a must and worth every penny. But Disney has nothing even close to the Haven.