Live update from the Summit, Jan 4th sailing

A Sixth?

What is the "enrichment series"? Any talk of how long this will continue for?...

Thanks.

The enrichment series is what X calls the guest "speakers" that give talks during the cruise. They are not always lecturers, we had a woman last hear that facilitated audience participation in the style of second city improv.

We have had really good speakers and some not so great.

Some will do a historic program on upcoming ports, others are more generic but still interesting.

Last cruise all talks were in the celebrity central, the smaller auditorium near the bigger celebrity theatre.

I'm on the April 5th also. Won't be too long.

When we were on Constellation last year there was an enrichment series speaker who gave an hour talk about the Nassau. It was very interesting. Can't imagine that a steel drum band would be part of it that same kind of series - but who knows? :)

Are you serious?

Just a few quick points "live" from the hot and sunny Caribbean.

We boarded Saturday at 11:00!!! Yes, we were at the port early and amongst the first on when they opened the gate. There was no wait, just straight to check in an onto the ship!

Ship looks great, service is excellent, and the live pool band Xtasea is pretty good.

The muster drill was at 7:45 and lasted about 15 minutes

Escargot is available in the MDR. The roast beef on night one was excellent and wine service was top notch with our classic package.

The connections party was in Revelations at 5:00 as we sailed away from St Croix and was well attended.

There are no Elite coupons this sailing, Micheals Club is the happy hour location. It wasn't crowded when we went after the connections party

We're in a Sky Suite and ate one of the finest meals we ever had on a cruise ship the second night in Blu. They presented us with a chit to sign if we wanted to leave a tip (suggested $5.00 PP we did and some!)

Don

Can you confirm who the captain and cruise director will be for Feb 1 2014?

Thanks and keep the updates coming

The cruise continues under hot Caribbean skies!

We are doing very little but relax and have barely left the ship in port

Ashley the Captns Club rep is the best we've met yet!

To the people who asked if there is a guitarist playing at the Sunset Bar I don't think there is anymore. It's not in the Celebrity Today paper. I'll verify ASAP

Edited by A Sixth?

The cruise continues under hot Caribbean skies!

We are doing very little but relax and have barely left the ship in port

Ashley the Captns Club rep is the best we've met yet!

To the people who asked if there is a guitarist playing at the Sunset Bar I don't think there is anymore. It's not in the Celebrity Today paper. I'll verify ASAP

A Sixth! So happy to read "under hot Caribbean skies". We're sailing from San Juan on Feb 1st on the Summit on our 1st cruise ever! Weather here in NE Ohio last couple of days has been ridiculous! -37 degrees wind chill last night. Keep enjoying your cruise & the awesome weather! Gary

A Sixth! So happy to read "under hot Caribbean skies". We're sailing from San Juan on Feb 1st on the Summit on our 1st cruise ever! Weather here in NE Ohio last couple of days has been ridiculous! -37 degrees wind chill last night. Keep enjoying your cruise & the awesome weather! Gary

I was thinking the exact same thing. Right now, I can't imagine being too hot. I knew I was smart to book a trip to the Caribbean in January. :D

We were on Summit 12/21. You still get the coupons in your stateroom for discounts. You get the free internet, dry cleaning and laundry, as well as a free scoop of gelato, which we never thought we would use but did and enjoyed it!

There was a steel drum player at the sunset bar on that sailing- he was part of the enrichment series.

Please tell the Ashley, the Captain's Club Hostess, that Lisa and Steve say hi!! She's wonderful!!

Interesting... We were on the 12/7 sailing and the only activity at the Sunset bar was trivia on one day. No steel drums. It was still a great place for sail away as long as we were on the starboard side away from the smoking section.

You mentioned the Elite Cocktail Hour in Michael's Club. Was that just for suite people or all elites?

When we sailed on 12/21 it was for elite, elite + and zenith.

Can you confirm who the captain and cruise director will be for Feb 1 2014?

I believe it will still be Captain Leonardos in February. I believe his vacation starts in March. Not sure who the cruise director will be then.

You mentioned the Elite Cocktail Hour in Michael's Club. Was that just for suite people or all elites?

All elites. I believe there are about 130 or 150

More quick points "live" from hot and sunny Grenada in the Caribbean.

I've never seen more pool side sunbeds available at all times than this cruise. It will likely change for our sea day but it has been very civilized so far.

The pool bar is a bit over run, and there are often waits for drinks. Seems to me an extra bartender would help. The pool waiters are working their trays off and doing a great job.

They have a new style ship card with fancy new graphics, the problem with them is that the info they print on them wears off in a few days and many (both of us) need to get new ones as they become unreadable. OPPS!!!! :-)

The captain, Leonardo's Palaiokrassas, is very young, handsome (so I've been told) and extremely personable :-) . Cruise director Kyle Dodson is talented and is doing a great job keeping up all entertained.

We're in a Sky Suite and the finest meals we have ever had on a cruise ship continue to be the ones we are having in Blu. So far there has been room to accommodate us when we went. At the end of the meal, because we are in a suite not aqua class They have presented us with a chit to sign if we wanted to leave a tip (suggested $5.00 PP and rarely have been happier to and some!)

We have the classic drink package and the wine has been expertly paired by the glass every meal

Don

Edited by A Sixth?

Thanks so much for posting! We are doing a B2B on Summit March 29 & April 5. It is particularly pleasing that you are enjoying Blu so much. We have booked one of the Deck 11 aft Aqua cabins. I have read mixed reviews of Blu in M class ships and I was wondering what our experience would be. It's also good to hear there are good choices on the Classic beverage package. We are all set! Will be watching this thread.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Doris

Edited by STXCruisers

We're in a Sky Suite and the finest meals we have ever had on a cruise ship continue to be the ones we are having in Blu. So far there has been room to accommodate us when we went. At the end of the meal, because we are in a suite not aqua class They have presented us with a chit to sign if we wanted to leave a tip (suggested $5.00 PP and rarely have been happier to and some!)

We have the classic drink package and the wine has been expertly paired by the glass every meal

Don

It must vary from ship to ship, but when we were in a Suite on Equinox in Nov 2012, and Reflection in Oct 2013, we ate in Blu every night other than the comp specialty restaurants. We were never presented with a chit to sign.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise.

Edited by Wine-O

We were on Summit in 1120 for the 12/21 cruise and Blu was absolutely the most wonderful experience. Maitre d' Mazy and the sommelier Eren and the waitstaff are absolutely the best! The food- well, heavenly! The only food picture I took was of an entree salad with lamb chops! Soooooo delicious. I'll post it here for you to enjoy!

IMG_0153_zpsb8dd7858.jpg

And breakfast in Blu is a lovely way to start your day!!

Enjoy!!!

More quick points "live" from hot and sunny St Thomas

Okay, it's official, I've never seen more pool side sunbeds available at all times than this cruise. It was our sea day yesterday today and even though it was a bit crowded, there was no shortage of places, even by the pool, available.

There are a fair number of kids and young people on this cruise but aside from a one year old in a hot tub, and a young man in trouble for something and being dressed down by his mother as we shared an elevator, it's been very kid-quiet IMHO.

The public washrooms have been spotless and attended to.

There are no ice buckets in cabins anymore ,even in our Sky Suite.

I can't understand why a $6.00 can of O'Douls no alcohol beer is covered by the classic package but a $3.00 can of Arizona Iced Tea isn't. A small bottle of Perrier isn't either.

My guess is that 80% of the people lined up for drinks at any bar have a drink package! likely more.

The AquaSpa Cafe doesn't have nearly as much selection as it did a while back. It's not all that busy anymore nor is the pizza spot. The demand for pizza has been next to zero, though I tried a piece and it was fair... Not great... At least if you're in a hurry getting a slice (square?) is easy.

Don

Edited by A Sixth?

There are no ice buckets in cabins anymore ,even in our Sky Suite.

How strange. Can you get one if you request it? Is there a place to go for "self serve" ice? I assume they have it in the buffet 24/7?

We are planning to stock our fridge with sodas and flavored waters we're bringing on board, and I'm bringing insulated mugs/cups, and straws. I consume lots of cold drinks and plan on using a lot of ice! I'll be getting at least the soda package too, but I can't stand drinking soda out of a can.

thanks!

Thanks for the updates! We will be boarding tomorrow- just as you finish your cruise! Just wondering- when you boarded at 11 am were you able to get into your room right away?

If anyone else knows the answer - feel free to chime in!

Edited by Shacky4

Thanks for the updates! We will be boarding tomorrow- just as you finish your cruise! Just wondering- when you boarded at 11 am were you able to get into your room right away?

If anyone else knows the answer - feel free to chime in!

Usually between 1 and 2 pm.