Need To Drop it Hard and Fast

Blk_Amish

She usually has pictures in her signature. She's gorgeous and really doesn't need to lose weight. She just wants to fit into that specific dress.

Blk Amish - I'm glad you decided to go with a different dress that fits, and my oh my, you do not look like you're turning 50!

Thanks, turning 50 and can't wait. I will post the dress that causes he to give serious thoughts to give up wine. I am not giving up on it because DH thinks it looks hot but he is half blind:D. I took the pictures out of the signature because it was about dropping the pounds for the particular outfit. Still gravity and 50, unkind!

Edited by Blk_Amish

hit the new Weight Watcher Plan now and stick to it. walk everyday as long as you can as often as you can. you will lose 10 pounds by Valentines Day. losing weight is simple. take in less calories then you burn. if you work somewhere with stairs always use the stairs.

The Weigh Watchers plan seems reasonable, plus lots of water, no alcohol and daily exercise. Fifty could also be the year Iight up the haunted house with a pair of chandeliers and remove excess moulding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I personally follow Atkins (low carb diet). There are a lot of misconceptions about the way of eating, but after reading the book as well as being a nursing student, it makes sense. It also works for me. I had gestational diabetes and that ups my risk for type 2 diabetes. I could tell when my blood sugar has highs and lows when I tried doing Weight Watchers or low calorie plans. Doing Atkins, my blood sugars are always stable. I eat tons of veggies and I exercise 3 days a week. In just 10 days, I have lost 9lbs, and 1 inch from my waist and 1 from my hips.

most any plan will work short term because you are paying attention to fuel in vs fuel burned. do the new WW Simple Start 2 week plan before going then hit the regular plan when you return. you can do it all online and not have to screw with going to the meetings.

of course if you have any health problems consult your Doc before dieting.

I normally follow a very low carb diet, but after many years it's really hard to lose weight...I follow it to prevent weight gain. Here's something else I have done a few times: If I want to drop a few pounds the week before a cruise I eat nothing but soup (not cream based) from Whole Foods. They have a huge selection and you can eat lots of soup and get lots of nutrition and stay under 1000 calories/day.

Edited by royalcruz

I haven't bought a dress with the intent to fit in it since I was in my 20:D.

I like the soup idea, since I like cooking I will make more of it.

I did it last summer. I bought the dress in the size that fit and the next size down, knowing I would lose, but not sure how much. I was able to return the larger one about six weeks later and have lost even more weight since then. The smaller size was a bit snug the first time I wore it, but is now a bit loose--and I'd still like to drop another 10 pounds or so.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Blk_Amish, I applaud you! I think that it's essential that we really pay attention to our body as we age and, of course, a decade change is one of the more reflective times of our lives. If you analyze your situation at 50, then you won't be regretting what you let happen when you move into your 60's. That's my opinion, anyway. And, I love it that you're approaching your goal with an intact sense of humor. After all, the ability to laugh, whether with others or at the foolishness of our own selves, is priceless as we age!

Whatever the number, the essential is to feel good about yourself. Put your health and vitality first and getting into the perfect dress will just follow. Power to the Positive! :D

Do the 5/2 diet. 2 days a week-NOT consecutive days-you eat 500 calories only.Tthe other 5 days you eat regular. (to lose even faster I would not have "desserts" but fruit IMHO on the regular days) You are allowed another 500 calorie day also not consecutive with the other ones but NO MORE THAN 3 500 calorie days. Of course if you are diabetic this diet is a NO NO!:eek:

or

Just go and have a good time the way you are:)

I would google 5/2 diet before starting just to be safe.

I'm doing a similar version, except the 'low' days allow 650 calories for women--I just can't do the 500. The other days are 1500. For the first time in years I have been successful in losing weight, going from 142 to 127 in 8 weeks. For some reason, this is fairly easy for me to do.

Yes, the 650 is tough (I try to eat only the most nutritious foods on those days--with one little piece of dark chocolate for a treat), but since I know I can eat more tomorrow, it's not bad. The 1500 calorie days seem decadent!

Also, since I was coming off a bad ankle sprain I was doing very little for exercise.

We were on a 17 day cruise in December and had two weeks of Christmas, birthday and anniversary celebrations afterwards, and I did not diet at all for those weeks. I gained about 3 pounds and am now back on the diet.

The pounds lost (15) doesn't sound like so much except that I am 68, 5'3" and at the 142 start point not very much overweight. Now I am expecting to take it very slow and lose 1/2 to 1 lb. a week to my goal of 115.

I got the idea from an article in the Reader's Digest, but did not purchase the book or do more than read the basics. Went from there with my own food choices that fit into the diet. I use Spark People to calculate calories, etc.

You do need to do your research and keep in mind any health or body issues that may make this type of diet not for you.

I don't see why you are panic'd over losing 10 pounds.. looking like that at 50 most the ladies on here would die for.

watch the soup idea.. lots of the prepared soups are loaded with salt.

Now just how would you know that?:confused:

Agree. I'm 52--53 in six weeks--and wear a size 4 on my 5'6.5" body. I am not naturally slim, I work hard to stay this way by eating healthy and working out.

I think the poster was being nice and encourgaing, so thanks the compliment:D. Fifty and pre-menapause can be a trying time for some ladies.

Being 5'11" short torso and long legged, I can't recall ever being a size 4. I need more fabric just to cover my legs.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I think the poster was being nice and encourgaing, so thanks the compliment:D. Fifty and pre-menapause can be a trying time for some ladies.

Being 5'11" short torso and long legged, I can't recall ever being a size 4. I need more fabric just to cover my legs.

NY&Co has size 4 tall in pants that are actually too long on me unless I'm in a 4" heel, and then they are still on the longer side. But regular 4's are usually too short so I buy the tall and have them taken up. Might be worth looking into. :)

I'm doing a similar version, except the 'low' days allow 650 calories for women--I just can't do the 500. The other days are 1500. For the first time in years I have been successful in losing weight, going from 142 to 127 in 8 weeks. For some reason, this is fairly easy for me to do.

Yes, the 650 is tough (I try to eat only the most nutritious foods on those days--with one little piece of dark chocolate for a treat), but since I know I can eat more tomorrow, it's not bad. The 1500 calorie days seem decadent!

Also, since I was coming off a bad ankle sprain I was doing very little for exercise.

We were on a 17 day cruise in December and had two weeks of Christmas, birthday and anniversary celebrations afterwards, and I did not diet at all for those weeks. I gained about 3 pounds and am now back on the diet.

The pounds lost (15) doesn't sound like so much except that I am 68, 5'3" and at the 142 start point not very much overweight. Now I am expecting to take it very slow and lose 1/2 to 1 lb. a week to my goal of 115.

I got the idea from an article in the Reader's Digest, but did not purchase the book or do more than read the basics. Went from there with my own food choices that fit into the diet. I use Spark People to calculate calories, etc.

You do need to do your research and keep in mind any health or body issues that may make this type of diet not for you.

Congratuation. As you see my DH is a big guy and he recently dropped 60 pounds from cycling, road bikes. Aside from trying to fit in this dress, my weight has been pretty good but hitting 45 I noticed some extras. I love working out but I also have a man's appetitte. Hitting 50, I am more careful but some days the more I eat the hungrier I get.

NY&Co has size 4 tall in pants that are actually too long on me unless I'm in a 4" heel, and then they are still on the longer side. But regular 4's are usually too short so I buy the tall and have them taken up. Might be worth looking into. :)

Long legged can be a nightmare. Short dresses/skirts are way too short and regular pants are way too short but tall way too long. Did I just complain about having long legs:D

Long legged can be a nightmare. Short dresses/skirts are way too short and regular pants are way too short but tall way too long. Did I just complain about having long legs:D

I feel your pain. I am also 5'11" and some of the cocktail dresses I tried on were obscenely short on me. :eek:

Lisa

I feel your pain. I am also 5'11" and some of the cocktail dresses I tried on were obscenely short on me. :eek:

Lisa

Have you looked at Long Tall Sally? A friend of mine is 6'2" and loves their clothes--although some are too short for her, but would probably be perfect for most 5'9-5'11.

Have you looked at Long Tall Sally? A friend of mine is 6'2" and loves their clothes--although some are too short for her, but would probably be perfect for most 5'9-5'11.

I am a long torso with shorter legs, so LTS pants are way too long on me. My mom is 6'0" and all legs. She loves LTS.

Lisa

Congratuation. As you see my DH is a big guy and he recently dropped 60 pounds from cycling, road bikes. Aside from trying to fit in this dress, my weight has been pretty good but hitting 45 I noticed some extras. I love working out but I also have a man's appetitte. Hitting 50, I am more careful but some days the more I eat the hungrier I get.

Thanks! I did some exercising while on the cruise (Zumba and lots of walking) and just started back up with 'real' workouts--at home, doing intervals, weights, Pilates, just mixing it up. I am a giant sore mess from top to bottom!

But, I know from experience it will be better in a few days.

My High School weight was around 105 and I kept in the 115-130 range until I hit my 60's--that's when it got hard for me to lose. I hope this plan is THE PLAN that I can live with forever.

So far so good. Good luck on losing the dress size.

by sitting around the pool and at the gym.. not many 50yo's could pass for -40. just because I don't play the game (married 44 years) doesn't mean I can't watch.

the overweight/sloppy women would be much better served if they wore a swim suit that fit instead of thinking their blubber oozing out of a tight suit or even worse a 2 piece is somehow flattering.

Down 3.5 pounds. I have eliminated wine, drank more water, and more homemade soup. Best of all I have back to a serious workout routine that I was slacking off for awhile. Trying to work my butt off which is holding on for life.

Edited by Blk_Amish