Need To Drop it Hard and Fast

Blk_Amish

I would look into the "Eat to Live" diet by Dr. Fuhrman. It emphasizes lots of veggies, fruits, some beans/legumes, max one serving of grains a day... no sugar, excess salt, or oil. I gave it a shot before Christmas for a week and I dropped 4 pounds (and I only weighed 132lbs to begin with) so I think you could follow that quite easily and have great results. Plus, it's super healthy and you don't have to worry about doing harm to your body, you're doing it a whole lot of good! The basics of the diet are really easy to find by googling Eat to Live or Dr. Fuhrman.

This has a LOT of truth in it!! I HAVE to be on a "diet", for a very(medically) bad belly that doesn't react to sugars/starches well at ALL. I've only been allowed to eat just fresh fruit,fresh meat, eggs & pure butter, sea food/ shell fish, fresh veggies except potatoes, beans, parsnips. I can't have any grains at all. I can't have any dairy (milk-based). No sugar, or sugar fakes. No preservatives or chemicals.

I can have raw honey, coffee, tea, aged cheeses, nuts (plain). I'm not kidding when I say I NEVER get away with even a tiny cheat. :eek: been on this diet for 2 years now, and haven't been back in the hospital because of it!! Its good!

Just sharing this with you because as much as it SUCKS not to be able for me not to be able to sink my teeth in to a chocolate chip cookie ( or ten! Lol!) I KNOW my NOT being able to, being forced to eat so healthy has changed my life! It really didn't take THAT LONG to quit craving it, and start to find healthy alternatives to keep me full! Now i eat all I want, within the boundaries of the foods I know won't make me ill, and the secondary bonus to it is my weight is the same as it was in school! (I'm 55) .

I hope this will encourage someone to take up something healthy in their diet, put a smile on your face, and KNOW you're gonna look just amazing! :cool:

Edited by notanlinesLizz

the overweight/sloppy women would be much better served if they wore a swim suit that fit instead of thinking their blubber oozing out of a tight suit or even worse a 2 piece is somehow flattering.

I'm not at all overweight, but am still reluctant to wear a bikini--although I have been doing a tremendous amount of core work and should look fine in one when we go on our next cruise. It will however be on the modest side and age appropriate. It will not be a string bikini, or anything even close. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I'm not at all overweight, but am still reluctant to wear a bikini--although I have been doing a tremendous amount of core work and should look fine in one when we go on our next cruise. It will however be on the modest side and age appropriate. It will not be a string bikini, or anything even close. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I feel the same way... looking good in a tankini is WAYYY BETTER than looking just passable and even too old for a string bikini... feels better too!! :sly:

I wish I have the body image confidence to wear a string biniki, never did. It would take a whole lot of plastic surgery to get my mind there. I do admire and is inspired by women over 50 who say gravity get the heck away from me and own their body. I thought about liposuction but they said a strong core would be helpful. Obviously they missed the point I did not want or care to do ab work. The weighted hula hoop seems to be helping.

Edited by Blk_Amish

This is something I was stressing so much about before my xmas cruise- you can see post about depressed/weight gain. In last year I have gained 40+ pounds and not because of eating - ig that was the case at least I could blame it on myself. I quit smoking last January 2nd - but then as the year went on I got sick and ended up in the hospital end of September and from July 4th when we left on a cruise til September I put on almost 30 pounds and then after being discharged I was put on steroids for 6 weeks so add 10 more. I was so depressed. The issue was I was very bloated and it was clear it was a lot of fluid weight and the question was why, playing with meds, etc. I was so depressed about clothes for the cruise. To let you know you could tell I gained weight but not the amount I did and the weird thing my 2 formal dresses I planned to take from this summer still fit. However, when I started trying on things my everyday dresses still fit (granted I wear them for work) but some of the summer dresses and bathing suits did not fit - and I broke down in tears.

My mom suggested I get a few new dresses to cheer me up - I ordered a couple of sale from JJill (the cut large so I could wear the same size) and one from travelsmith. I bought a nice miraclesuit swim dress.

I enjoyed my cruise immensely and funny I started a new med a week before the cruise to see if it helped with the bloating and came back from my cruise and in 3 weeks I felt like the biggest looser as I was down 12 pounds.

Still nowhere near what I want to be - but I listened and enjoyed my cruise and had a great time

Sharon

I enjoyed my cruise immensely and funny I started a new med a week before the cruise to see if it helped with the bloating and came back from my cruise and in 3 weeks I felt like the biggest looser as I was down 12 pounds.

Still nowhere near what I want to be - but I listened and enjoyed my cruise and had a great time

Sharon

I am SOOOOOO happy to hear your happy ending, really!! I hope you continue to get well and your weight loss is a breeze from here on out! The summer sunshine will be here before you know it! (or at least thats what I keep telling myself buried up in this wretched snow & cold drizzle! Ugh!)

Blk_Amish and Ducklite,

Call me foolish but I have started wearing a bikini again after almost 40 years. My outlook is: If I don't wear one now; I never will again. My body isn't perfect, but I don't care anymore what others may think. I am comfortable in my own skin (90% of the time :D).

You are both taking such good care of yourselves I hope you wear one on your next cruise....it is quite liberating.

Lawblond7, I followed your thread and am so glad that you are feeling better about yourself, enjoyed your cruise, and some of those medical pounds are coming off.

Cheers, h

Middle, I call it own it, owning you. Being Caribbean, I realize how much I have gotten caught up in associating body image and self image. Outside of this attempt to get into this dress, I am and have to be conscious of my weight. I am a 19 years survivor of double open heart surgeries. It's a tissue value so more than likely it will last more than 20 years. For a long time I was embarrass of the scar, instead of seeing it as a daily reminder that I survived.

Well, I might go for it because in another year it might not matter. My heart gets checked annually, though weak, pumps pretty well. I got over my fear of heights at 40, learned to swim at 43 and to ride a bike at 46.

Oh yeah, my dh is a 15 years survivor of cancer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well, I might go for it because in another year it might not matter. My heart gets checked annually, though weak, pumps pretty well. I got over my fear of heights at 40, learned to swim at 43 and to ride a bike at 46.

Go for it and yes us old folks can learn new things. I ran my first and ONLY full marathon - the Marine Corps in 2004 at the age of 41 and the Las Vegas Half in 2005 having never run more than a mile at a time before I started training. Unfortunately I have not run since because of 2 knee surgeries and now at 50 they tell me I need a hip replacement.

However, after all my medical issues last year I am once again making the effort to get back in that type of shape - I am starting to swim a few days a week and have been cleared by my cardiologist to go back to Hot Yoga on Saturday - YEAH.

And despite being a competitive swimmer for 13 years I have all my life wanted to learn how to scuba dive but have had an irrational fear of doing it for some reason. However, my twin 16 year olds (17 in April) want to learn and we are going to Grand Cayman on on New Year's cruise next year (and I want to scuba there) so we are going to learn. Now I cannot back out as my boys all have mitochondrial disease (http://www.umdf.org) which is a genetic metabolic disease so if they want do how can I not do it.

As for a bikini even if or better when I get back to my size 8/10 I do not think I would wear a bikini for the same reason, 2 c-sections but also major stomach surgery with a bowel resection so massive scar.

Now if I could find a magic pill to give me skinny arms I would be happy. Funny despite the weight gain I still love my legs - minus the upper thighs - being only 5'4 1/2 I have very long legs and short torso.

I think even us "old" dogs can learn new tricks.

Sharon

I have lived full and hard since my surgeries. Now I am thinking, what's next. I am too lazy to start another bucket list, since I did everything in the original one. I spent a month in Europe, went to Hawaii and Alaska, saw ruins in Mexico and waterfalls in Jamaica. Drove across the US twice, ran across the golden gate bridge, visited National parks and climbed to the edge of Taft point in Yosemite, with a 3000 feet drop, and screamed.

There is something to be said about living on borrowed time.

Pauline

It has been long determined that the mold was broken after me. Now, long legs are cute in your 20s but harder to comfortably display as you get older. Most short things are really too short to bend over in.

My dh is Pennsylvania Dutch, so very Amish last name. I tell people my name then get the usual reaction or question, are you Amish or better you can't be Amish. Someone on another board went as far as to remind me that Amish don't cruise.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I have dropped a few pounds but I might have to face the harsh reality that 50 comes with a few pounds and rolls. Honestly I am not sure it's worth giving up my monthly W. I. N. E club for :

Women

In

Need of

Excitement

Edited by Blk_Amish

It has been long determined that the mold was broken after me. Now, long legs are cute in your 20s but harder to comfortably display as you get older. Most short things are really too short to bend over in.

My dh is Pennsylvania Dutch, so very Amish last name. I tell people my name then get the usual reaction or question, are you Amish or better you can't be Amish. Someone on another board went as far as to remind me that Amish don't cruise.

LOVE THIS!! Laughing my butt off!! :D :thumbup: :beer:

LOVE THIS!! Laughing my butt off!! :D :thumbup: :beer:

You ROCK! We'd have a blast together on a ship or beach lol!!

Topless beaches are a hoot, especially when you realize most of the people on them that are nekked or topless are TOTALLY uninhibited TOO, and you will feel completely FREE and not awkward at all!

First time I did it , I was sooo surprised there could be such a difference between a tiny little bikini top vs. NO top, but it really WAS a difference! (on St. Barts)

You go girl! You look awesome, and your spirit is bigger than life! :cool:

I do believe clothes cover flaws and make the body sexy. To get rid of the clothes has more to do with good body image. If I pay $5k to put brand new chandeliers, I can't promise I am going to cover my investment anyways. I will be lighting up the room.

Oh dear, one minute I am trying to get in a dress. Now I see myself doing the Bo Derrick run, in the movie 10, but top less.

Maybe a waterfall with nothing between you and the force of nature. Back to getting safely into the dress :D

Edited by Blk_Amish

Middle, I call it own it, owning you. Being Caribbean, I realize how much I have gotten caught up in associating body image and self image. Outside of this attempt to get into this dress, I am and have to be conscious of my weight. I am a 19 years survivor of double open heart surgeries. It's a tissue value so more than likely it will last more than 20 years. For a long time I was embarrass of the scar, instead of seeing it as a daily reminder that I survived.

<snip>

I know I am off topic and apologize but I have searched for someone like you and cannot let this opportunity pass. If you had an e-mail address posted, I would have written privately.

I have had two OHS and also have a tissue valve.

You are the first person I have heard of who had tissue valve replacement around age 30 and it is still viable. That had to be first generation bovine/porcine valve. I have third generation and was older (by years) than you when I had it implanted. They tell me 20+ years based on previous history of earlier valves. You are a marvel to have maintained your valve for so long without needing a replacement. Generally, the younger you are when a tissue valve is implanted, the shorter time it lasts. Good for you. My generation valve hasn't been around long enough to know just how long it might last.

Congratulations and wishes for good health......

you long legged, lovely lady. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I am literally a walking miracle. I had 2 open heart surgeries within 6 months and the first, 10 weeks after giving birth to my son . My daughter was born after my second surgery. The surgeon said it was possible, just not no one had done it. The first surgery failed because they tried to repair the valve. Oh, being told the first surgery did not work, is no easy walk in the park.

I had the Ross procedure, making the tissue valve my own. They used my own pulmonary valve to replace my aortic value and placed a cadaver valve in its place. There is no chance of rejection and no need for blood thinners but blood pressure meds to strengthen the valve. My heart is weak, with an ejection fraction of 38 to 40 percent. However I am extremely active, walking anywhere from 4 to 10 miles, hiking, treadmill, without problems.

There is no prognosis of how long it will last, what aging will do to it, or just the sheer milage on it. All I know is that I have a much better shot than 20 years and possible could live a very full and active life. The latter have been proven and time will tell on how many more years the valve will last. It's truly living on borrowed time or in 20 year increments.

In the meantime, live, laugh, love. I hope you are doing well.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Thanks, I am doing very well. My OHS were four years apart and happily I don't require anti-coagulation.

But to keep this somewhat related to cruising....... Most infirmaries on most mass market cruise lines can do INR testing for guests who require it. If one does not have their own 'home test' machine, they can have a test done on board.

Hopefully, your valve will continue doing its job for many years but the advancements in OHS are tremendous. In just the four years between mine in the same fine hospital with same surgeon, the improvements were remarkable. You likely could have another replacement were you to need it but I hope that never becomes necessary.

Edited by sail7seas