When to apply 100% promo credit

Pia1913

We will be cruising on the Ruby 13th and 18th January, both of which have the fully refundable fares.

We also have a whole bunch of booked cruises in 2014 that are still held with Princess.

My question is: Should I ask for the monies to be applied to a cruise BEFORE I turn it over to a TA; or after?

I'm sure someone on the west coast who has already availed themselves of the credits will know what is best. Thanks.

I'm assuming it works just like the BVE credit or an insurance credit: you complete the cruise and the amount will show up as a cruise credit on your Captain's Circle account. From there, you can have it applied to your booking whether it's through Princess or a TA. It's your credit; whoever just applies it to the booking. Personally, I prefer to have a TA do it because then it shows on the cruise invoice as a partial payment towards your final amount due. I don't know whether it would be a line item on a Princess invoice. I have two TAs I use and they line item any credit.

Edited by Pam in CA

I'm assuming it works just like the BVE credit or an insurance credit: you complete the cruise and the amount will show up as a cruise credit on your Captain's Circle account. From there, you can have it applied to your booking whether it's through Princess or a TA. It's your credit; whoever just applies it to the booking. Personally, I prefer to have a TA do it because then it shows on the cruise invoice as a partial payment towards your final amount due. I don't know whether it would be a line item on a Princess invoice. I have two TAs I use and they line item any credit.

Pam, perhaps I didn't pose my question the right way. What I'm looking for is whether or not to apply it while it's still with Princess, or whether I should give it to one of my TA's initially. Will their discount be reflected on the before or after fare. Am I clear now, or am I still confusing?

We will be cruising on the Ruby 13th and 18th January, both of which have the fully refundable fares.

We also have a whole bunch of booked cruises in 2014 that are still held with Princess.

My question is: Should I ask for the monies to be applied to a cruise BEFORE I turn it over to a TA; or after?

I'm sure someone on the west coast who has already availed themselves of the credits will know what is best. Thanks.

Hi Pia, It's been a while. Hope all is well. I received insurance credit due to "Sandy" It was placed into my Princess Circle account as credit. When i booked a cruise through my TA it was used as deposit money towards my cruise. Princess was good to us, we also received a little good will money that went towards the deposit also.. TA took care of of everything. .

Mary

Pia, this is just a guess as I have not done one of these yet, but I have a feeling the credit will affect the TA's commission either way you do it.

I would do it through Princess first, then transfer it to a TA. She'll be able to see what her commission is at that point and can offer a discount based on your 'new' fare. At least that's the way I've seen it before - just about any coupon, discount or credit like that will affect the TA's commission so discounts have to be figured on the 'new' cruise fare.

Maybe someone else can do more than just me guessing though.

Pam, perhaps I didn't pose my question the right way. What I'm looking for is whether or not to apply it while it's still with Princess, or whether I should give it to one of my TA's initially. Will their discount be reflected on the before or after fare. Am I clear now, or am I still confusing?
Pia,

When we got the credit because having to cancel during Sandy the credit automatically came off the price of the new cruise I booked it a week later with Princess. My TA gave me a discount off the new price. I did ask her if it would have made a difference in the discount if she would of applied it but she said no I could only get the discount off the price I paid. Almost wasn't worth it to turn over because of that.

Donna

your TA will get no commission on the credit you receive from the 100% promo. That being the case it makes more sence to keep control of your own booking should you wish to make any changes. It's so much easier to call Princess directly especially on week ends or after 5 pm ( when TA's are not available) and get what you need accomplished.

It's so much easier to call Princess directly especially on week ends or after 5 pm ( when TA's are not available) and get what you need accomplished.

Depends on your TA.

Mine (or a supervisor) is available until 11 PM during the week and also available on weekends.

Pam, on the Princess Booking Confirmation it will show as a line item - Future Cruise Credit - negative number - before the Total Fare line.

Thank you all for your responses. My gut said to keep it with Princess until I get the reduction and that's exactly what seems to be the consensus.

Bill, I have three favorites. It's called "share the wealth." Pia style. :)

Thank you all for your responses. My gut said to keep it with Princess until I get the reduction and that's exactly what seems to be the consensus.

Bill, I have three favorites. It's called "share the wealth." Pia style. :)

My thought is not to apply it to a booking until close to final payment "just in case".

your TA will get no commission on the credit you receive from the 100% promo. That being the case it makes more sence to keep control of your own booking should you wish to make any changes. It's so much easier to call Princess directly especially on week ends or after 5 pm ( when TA's are not available) and get what you need accomplished.

I believe this has changed and TAs are now getting commission on the credit.

You keep posting that TAs are not available after 5 and on weekends - people keep posting that their TAs are. You may want to revise your comments in the future. My TA has hours beyond what Princess does.

The negative about waiting is that the TA may have group space and it may fill up so if you transfer it after the group space is gone, you will not get those benefits.

Pia, I had already booked an April cruise b4 the promotion. When Princess put my upcoming cruise on sale I called my ta for a refare. She saw my goodwill credit and when she refared our mini suite, I ended up paying $50.00 more than my cabin mate who did not have a goodwill credit. She said she wpuld not have made any comm otherwise. I still am paying less than the new posted price by princess and get the credits that princess is offering on this cruise, my shareholders and my fcc credits. Monday I'm taking another "free" cruise and hope the goodwill credit will be applied to same booking so it will be truely free...Jim

Pia, I had already booked an April cruise b4 the promotion. When Princess put my upcoming cruise on sale I called my ta for a refare. She saw my goodwill credit and when she refared our mini suite, I ended up paying $50.00 more than my cabin mate who did not have a goodwill credit. She said she wpuld not have made any comm otherwise. I still am paying less than the new posted price by princess and get the credits that princess is offering on this cruise, my shareholders and my fcc credits. Monday I'm taking another "free" cruise and hope the goodwill credit will be applied to same booking so it will be truely free...Jim

Jim, my definition of goodwill credit does not mean the same thing as yours. This is a promotional credit wherein you get the entire amount back. Goodwill credit is something else entirely.

What we will get back on our next two cruises (1/13 and 1/18) is a total of $1948/per person. I intend to apply this entire amount to our June Adriatic booking which is a lot more. If and when the original fare goes down, I will still get refared, no matter who has it (Princess or a TA). Of course it will eventually go to a TA. FCC,shareholder, military and loyalty don't even enter the equation. I will always get those.

Pia, this is just a guess as I have not done one of these yet, but I have a feeling the credit will affect the TA's commission either way you do it.

I would do it through Princess first, then transfer it to a TA. She'll be able to see what her commission is at that point and can offer a discount based on your 'new' fare. At least that's the way I've seen it before - just about any coupon, discount or credit like that will affect the TA's commission so discounts have to be figured on the 'new' cruise fare.

Maybe someone else can do more than just me guessing though.

If you book your "free" cruise with a travel agent that cruise pays commission so it is not a total loss to your travel agent when you apply the goodwill credit to a future cruise using the same agent.

Jim, my definition of goodwill credit does not mean the same thing as yours. This is a promotional credit wherein you get the entire amount back. Goodwill credit is something else entirely.

What we will get back on our next two cruises (1/13 and 1/18) is a total of $1948/per person. I intend to apply this entire amount to our June Adriatic booking which is a lot more. If and when the original fare goes down, I will still get refared, no matter who has it (Princess or a TA). Of course it will eventually go to a TA. FCC,shareholder, military and loyalty don't even enter the equation. I will always get those.

It appears in the Cruise Personalizer as "voyage goodwill" once it posts, though, so it appears that Princess is using one term to cover two types of credit.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was refering to the 100% back from Princess being applied to a future booking. My point was that my ta saw I had one when I refared and charged me$50.00 more in same cabin in order to get a commission. ( fine by me !!!) I thought your question was in turning over to TA after booked with princess. My point was my ta applied it automaticly to my existing booking, it was from a 3 day get a way promotion.