food - yeah a loaded question

I've been on cruises where people requested this. They really do need to know ahead of time. The first night I've seen people request special prep for the rest of the week. My SIL had broccoli (plain) every night on one of our cruises. My granddaughter had homemade, fresh purre fruits and veg's when she was 9 mos. old on a cruise. They try to be flexable.

Can you get it prepared plainly in the MDR? An example: Plain steamed vegetables, plainly baked fish, plain baked potato.

Should I talk to someone on the ship early about my desires?

Try contacting [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] ahead of the cruise.

Can you get it prepared plainly in the MDR? An example: Plain steamed vegetables, plainly baked fish, plain baked potato.

Not sure about your specific items but on our IOS cruise in Nov. 13 my DW asked about curry which was not the menu. The waiter spoke with the head waiter and the following night a curry dish was prepared for both of us.

You can get plain food without having to notify the ship. My son doesn't like a lot of sauces and has always been able to have sauces left off or swapped out. There was a tortellini dish with a blue cheese sauce that he has always ordered with marinara instead. Your waitstaff will do their best to get you what you want.

Your waitstaff will do their best to get you what you want.

It really depends on your waiter. On our last cruise, my 3 year old just wanted cucumber slices. The waiter told us to order the veggie plate and just not eat all the other vegetables. First off, that would be really wasteful, and second, he would likely only get one cucumber slice or 2. We needed to politely ask a couple of times that we only get a small plate of cucumbers. It was uncomfortable "arguing" with the waiter, and made me feel like I was demanding something really special. In the end, he agreed, and brought my son the cucumbers every night (which was much appreciated). But we needed to push.

It really depends on your waiter. On our last cruise, my 3 year old just wanted cucumber slices. The waiter told us to order the veggie plate and just not eat all the other vegetables. First off, that would be really wasteful, and second, he would likely only get one cucumber slice or 2. We needed to politely ask a couple of times that we only get a small plate of cucumbers. It was uncomfortable "arguing" with the waiter, and made me feel like I was demanding something really special. In the end, he agreed, and brought my son the cucumbers every night (which was much appreciated). But we needed to push.

That's too bad, it shouldn't have been an issue at all. My son hates mushrooms and is forever changing things up so that he doesn't encounter a single mushroom. He has never had a waiter who wouldn't work with him. He has been know to order the everyday pasta dish with the everyday chicken on top and has had no issues. Granted, he has done this as a teen and young adult but you would expect a waiter to be even more helpful with a 3 year old.

Hopefully, you get a more helpful waiter next time.

Now, if you could just get that 3 year old to memorize their passport number you would be all set.:eek:;):D

Sure you could get plain vegetables or fish.

Don't know what you'd want things plain but its no problem

I don't know about the OP, but I don't like mushrooms, cheese or butter so a sauce with any of those ingredients is a no go for me. Also, I hate when places take something healthy like broccoli and turns it into junk food by adding a high calorie sauce.

He was just being lazy. Bet if you'd asked for the head waiter that first night they would have appeared pretty darned quickly.

Sure you could get plain vegetables or fish.

Don't know what you'd want things plain but its no problem

Plain equals far fewer calories, less sodium, less fat, less risk of contamination with allergens (shell fish & pork - since you asked). Plain just tends to be healthier & I like the taste of fish & vegetables - IMHO that can be lost in the sauces.

He was just being lazy. Bet if you'd asked for the head waiter that first night they would have appeared pretty darned quickly.

It's funny, we had several other issues with the waiter and *did* call for the head waiter. We asked to be transfered to another table, which was not possible. However, from that point onwards, the head waiter was helping our waiter out for the remainder of the cruise (our table and others). It was the waiter's first cruise back after a break, so he was just getting into the swing of things. That said, I have never seen a head waiter as hands on as ours. She was fantastic, and really picked up the slack for our waiter (which may not be such a good thing if he depends on her that much).

I don't know about the OP, but I don't like mushrooms, cheese or butter so a sauce with any of those ingredients is a no go for me. Also, I hate when places take something healthy like broccoli and turns it into junk food by adding a high calorie sauce.

I completely agree! I always order steamed vegetables and a plain baked potato as I prefer this. I also order a fruit plate as a starter which has never been a problem. Can't bear vegetable swimming in butter or covered in sauces.

Each to their own - I also don't like heavy calorific, high fat sauces and its never been a problem to order items without them.

Even when you contact Special Needs, it's best to ALSO tell your waiter.

LuLu

~~~~

Oh yes indeedy.

Apologies for the poor quality of the image but here is a specimen menu. The Classics on the right are available every night.....

IMG_2742.jpg

Also, what you could do is ask the waiter to see the menu for the subsequent night and then select from THAT what you would like and how you would like it prepared....

Guest maddycat
It's funny, we had several other issues with the waiter and *did* call for the head waiter. We asked to be transfered to another table, which was not possible. However, from that point onwards, the head waiter was helping our waiter out for the remainder of the cruise (our table and others). It was the waiter's first cruise back after a break, so he was just getting into the swing of things. That said, I have never seen a head waiter as hands on as ours. She was fantastic, and really picked up the slack for our waiter (which may not be such a good thing if he depends on her that much).

I would imagine that if he doesn't improve he will be demoted.

Back a few months ago when they still had the surf and turf (filet and shrimp) on the menu, I simply asked for the turf without the surf as I'm allergic to shrimp and avoid all shellfish/crustaceans and it was no issue. But, I have never run across cross contamination and that's because they do not prepare the seafood in the same place as other food items. They are very careful about cross contamination of any kind. Getting plain steamed veggies shouldn't be an issue as that's how most are prepared and the sauces are added as everything is plated. The reality is, other than seafood, I pretty much never ask for anything to be removed. I don't particularly like mushrooms or cucumbers, but I just don't eat them if they come in a dish I order.