Thomson Staff - please read

Hi cruising friends,

Reading your posts and understanding how concerning it all sounds and was quite shocked to see so many celebration guests had posted on member reviews and they don't make nice reading. In our opinion the reviews are a true reflection of time onboard and are without embellishment

We've been travelling for 30 years, all over the world, but only got into cruising last New Year aboard the good ship Celebration on the Red Sea. That was our very first cruise - we didn't know what to expect.

We immediately fell in love with the old war ship looking boat - so cozy, warm and inviting when onboard - we enjoyed ourselves so much with all the staff, the entertainment team were fab, mingling with guests and taking time to chat. It was like a big party at home ! Ok, sure there were a couple of issues , like not enough space on deck to sit, not enough sun beds, guests hogging the sun beds ! But overall excellent food, quality service and entertainment.

In September a cheap deal came available with Cunard, so off we went for 12 nights in the Med. OMG ... We were astounded to think that the two ships nearly equally compared. Apart from the obvious size of QE and so therefor so much more space on board and she looks nicer.

Our feelings regarding our Thompson's holiday this New Year and agree Thompson's cruises are not exactly cheap when compared to the market and indeed as pipadee says, one pays a huge premium / double for August etc, school holidays and Christmas and New Year. Don't get us wrong we had a really good holiday and enjoyed our cruise, mainly due to the fact - we make it so to have a good time and join in and again met lovely people to share our week with. But the cut backs are apparent with tired and overworked staff, who do work their socks off to please you, cheap food and cheap facilities in your cabin too.

We feel what "got " to us the most is that when boarding after time onshore there was no mention of welcome back aboard or did you have a nice day... And when we disembarked ship for the final time - no one said - hope you enjoyed your holiday and hope to see you back on board soon. Unlike Cunard !!

Geomagot - You wouldn't have got excited about the lobster for this NY Eve - a lady on our table laughed when her plate arrived - an empty shell and the dry meat at the side. Ugh !

Sorry guys my post is long, just wanted you to know we are not a couple of British moaners.

Come on Thompson's - guests have paid, yes paid for your services and their holiday. We will not be booking with you again until the reviews improve or you offer a free cruise. :)

Hello Shallwe123 and thank you for your contribution :) I feel you have the same attachment to the considerable pluses many of us have loved and enjoyed as an integral part of our Thomson cruises. However I can identify totally with your latest experience.

The cheap - skate approach to food (choice and quality in the MDR in particular) which we experienced on our recent trip represents a serious decline in standards. What upsets me most is the complete lack of respect for the paying public supposing we will just accept poor food (and the lack of respect for their staff too putting them under such pressure and the subsequent drop in service to the customer). I have just fished out my P&O menus from the MDR from last summer and my goodness there is no comparison in terms of choice and quality!

I want Thomson to put this right - I feel as though Thomson need to have more respect for their customers and show us more loyalty in terms of maintaining standards otherwise my loyalty to them will certainly come to an end. :(

Edited by kruzseeka

oh dear its getting worse...an empty lobster shell! with some unspecified dried up bit of shellfish next to it! (what was the shell left over from last year?...eh thoms?)

and this is supposed to be their showcase meal of the season (people have paid double the fare to be on at christmas!) come on thoms...why spend out on lobster and then ruin it....something is going wrong and needs to be addressed thoms?:(...the dream season has only just started and complaints are flooding in already

oh dear its getting worse...an empty lobster shell! with some unspecified dried up bit of shellfish next to it! (what was the shell left over from last year?...eh thoms?)

and this is supposed to be their showcase meal of the season (people have paid double the fare to be on at christmas!) come on thoms...why spend out on lobster and then ruin it....something is going wrong and needs to be addressed thoms?:(...the dream season has only just started and complaints are flooding in already

Sorry to add that hubby and I both had the Wellington - mmmm - maybe it came from a "Wellington." ! ..... We did manage to have one glass of bubbly each on NY eve compliments of Thompson's.

Guys, just remembered that talking to the lovely waiting staff, most of them said that they came onboard last April from The Dream in the Caribbean ?

We're going on our 1st Thomson cruise on the Celebration this October to the Black Sea. We booked it because of the itinerary and the great reviews at the time. Now thinking we should have stayed with Princess or Celebrity. Just hoping they can pick things up by October, or it will probably be our one and only Thomson cruise........:(:(

We're going on our 1st Thomson cruise on the Celebration this October to the Black Sea. We booked it because of the itinerary and the great reviews at the time. Now thinking we should have stayed with Princess or Celebrity. Just hoping they can pick things up by October, or it will probably be our one and only Thomson cruise........:(:(

Dave, you will notice a big difference particularly in the food in the MDR if it stays the same standard as on our Christmas cruise on Celebration (also our first Thomson experience). However, as you say, you booked for the itinerary, so will probably enjoy it anyway. There are lots of positives, particularly the staff. Don't compare it with Princess and Celebrity (our last cruise was on Princess, before that Celebrity) just enjoy a different experience.

Edited by OldJerseycruiser

The itinerary IS superb. Hopefully like you say, things will improve by Ocober - we could not fault the Celebration in August 2013. There were issues on the Celebration in June 2013 but by the time we boarded everything was good again.....

Not good reviews at all :eek: A new cruiser who may not cruise again and a seasoned Thomson cruiser who is thinking of going elsewhere!

I'm glad I'm going on Fred for my birthday :) it will be interesting to see if they have made cutbacks too :eek:

Celebration is in several ports with us, so will try to find out what the people on there think of the ship :rolleyes:

Hubby thinks he'll be having delicious roast dinners like Celebration 2010 and Island Escape 2013, can't bring myself to tell him otherwise 'til we're flying out and halfway there :eek: that should ease the boredom. He doesn't read cc at all or the reviews but I do and what I've seen so far isn't good, hope things improve soon, although I eat hardly any meat myself.

I have just read the new reviews as well and again they are pretty poor.

It is concerning when you know that thomson are aware of the ongoing bad feedback from passengers, recent damaging reviews etc and they (appear to) not do anything to improve it. They must be very confident or simply don't care that they will lose a lot of long term customers.

Being ever the optimist perhaps they are working on the issues in the background and the improvements will all be in place just in time for my arrival on the ship in gran canaria next Saturday.:)

Thomson please note that an upgrade to a suite, case of vintage champagne, seat at the captains table and of course a red carpet on my arrival will secure a glowing report on my return to the uk::D

I haven't bothered reading reviews, but all the comments of late had me going on for a look, and the Christmas cruisers seem to have been badly let down with standards in the food department. Our second Dream cruise coming up and we are going to go with an open mind that standards will be as they were January 13.

i'm not about to cancel my forthcoming cruise on dream....but admit I am a little worried by the recent reviews:(

the christmas/ny cruise's seem to have been particularly badly received?....I think the value for money factor may be coming into play here....christmas always costs more and people expect more (well you would wouldn't you?..I would) you would expect thoms to make some special efforts at that time of year for people who are celebrating the festive season??

will be keeping an eye on the reviews thru jan/feb

hope thoms are lurking (we know you're there thoms?.....comments please)

How many of the people who go on Thomson cruises actually read these reviews or comments. I know many who don't, in fact most of the people I know personally are not aware of this or the FB sites. Thomson are only going to be concerned when it hits the National Press or TV and reaches their future clients.

I have mentioned the bad reviews to 2 Travel Agencies and they deny any knowledge of them. I guess they are too busy to read them. Or....? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would feel more assured if we at least had an acknowledgment of our concerns. I'm fully aware you cant please everyone and there will always be the "moaners and groaners" but heck, its taken me a year to save for this holiday I think we at least deserve a comment from the people taking my dosh.

I suspect Thomsons angle on this is that its a small percentage who are not happy/satisfied with the largest percentage being more than happy/satisfied with their cruise experience

You could be right Jim - especially about the overall 'cruise experience' bit but I don't think the majority are happy with the food. In scaning the 18 most recent posts on Dream/Celebration 12 have rated the food 1/2 - that's 66%. I would agree that perhaps those who have written reviews are prompted to do so because of something they aren't happy with but that's a worrying pattern in my book and not something I have seen before in looking at Thomson reviews. (Interestingly the Spirit and Majesty are getting 5* ratings in the main so what's the difference? :confused: :rolleyes: )

I too would have rated it at no more than 2 and have never, in over two dozen Thomson cruises, (and being a big fan of Thomson) ever rated food less than 4 before - nor have I been critical of the food in any review I've done - except for the unimaginative desserts. There is a change in the quality of food - and I'm sorry to say that I'm convinced it's more than a 'few' people who think so. :(

I can understand Thomson don't want to respond to this thread - if they say they 'will look into it', that might represent an acknowledgemant that things are not right - and they wouldn't want to agree with our concerns. If they write to say 'everything is hunky dory' those of us who have experienced the recent standard will definitely not agree and know it's a fudge. I suppose it's a 'no win' situation for them. But if they ignore it - they will certainly lose me as a customer. The best we can hope for imo is that they are taking note, reversing the budget cuts which have clearly been imposed in the mdr on Celebration and Dream and we will get some positive reviews - soon. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

A regular cruiser as just written this yesterday on the Thomson FB page too:-

"I came back from a Canaries Cruise on Spirit at the beginning of December, and I noticed how standards have dropped. We gave up eating in the waiter-service restaurant as the service was just so slow. The meal was taking a couple of hours to complete, and it just stopped being a pleasure. The waiters were doing their best, but they were just so overworked, and hence we grinned and put up with it. After 3 nights like this, we gave up and used the buffet."

I wonder if anyone has written directly to Thomson after cruise people with the complaints because then they should get a reply.

A complaint was made on the Thomson Cruise FB site on 23rd December 13. He was asked to send details of the reviews he had read about food on Dream but in a private message.

The recent reviews are very concerning. The thing that concerns me the most is that if you are AI you have to pay for the coffee in the new lounge on Celebration! This really is one charge too far for me. I did bring up the issue of added charges during the Ellacott Q+A, but he didn't really address my concerns. I can fully understand extra charges for things such as speciality restaurants and the like, but coffee - this costs around 2 pence to make.

The latest in a long line of 'extras', which started with safes and ended up with paying to reserve seats in the theatre. Time for a change.

With regard to the Q+A I think he just answered the ones that suited him

As for the extras on the AI we do not think it is worth the full price they charge. A lot of the the drinks that were included now have surcharge.We like a drink but not in excess Mostly coffee or soft drinks daytime the we like a few alcohol drinks at night. After our last cruise my wife went through the bill ( sad I know) but she said if we had paid full price for the AI we would have been about £100 out of pocket

You could be right Jim - especially about the overall 'cruise experience' bit but I don't think the majority are happy with the food. In scaning the 18 most recent posts on Dream/Celebration 12 have rated the food 1/2 - that's 66%. I would agree that perhaps those who have written reviews are prompted to do so because of something they aren't happy with but that's a worrying pattern in my book and not something I have seen before in looking at Thomson reviews. (Interestingly the Spirit and Majesty are getting 5* ratings in the main so what's the difference? :confused: :rolleyes: )

I too would have rated it at no more than 2 and have never, in over two dozen Thomson cruises, (and being a big fan of Thomson) ever rated food less than 4 before - nor have I been critical of the food in any review I've done - except for the unimaginative desserts. There is a change in the quality of food - and I'm sorry to say that I'm convinced it's more than a 'few' people who think so. :(

I can understand Thomson don't want to respond to this thread - if they say they 'will look into it', that might represent an acknowledgemant that things are not right - and they wouldn't want to agree with our concerns. If they write to say 'everything is hunky dory' those of us who have experienced the recent standard will definitely not agree and know it's a fudge. I suppose it's a 'no win' situation for them. But if they ignore it - they will certainly lose me as a customer. The best we can hope for imo is that they are taking note, reversing the budget cuts which have clearly been imposed in the mdr on Celebration and Dream and we will get some positive reviews - soon. :)

Kruz,

You wont getting me disagreeing with you.But Thomson like all big companies who have complaints against them generally tend to trot out the line that 99.9% of our customers are satisfied/happy.Unless folk complain directly as opposed to on a forum which would appear they dont take much heed of or unless they see passengers numbers drop at a fair rate its unlikely much will change...

Like dave said,the questions answered on the Q&A session were the one that suited and was very much selective.Token gesture IMO and a case of pretending they are listening to their customers concerns but not really acting on them to an extent.

Kruz,

You wont getting me disagreeing with you.But Thomson like all big companies who have complaints against them generally tend to trot out the line that 99.9% of our customers are satisfied/happy.Unless folk complain directly as opposed to on a forum which would appear they dont take much heed of or unless they see passengers numbers drop at a fair rate its unlikely much will change...

Like dave said,the questions answered on the Q&A session were the one that suited and was very much selective.Token gesture IMO and a case of pretending they are listening to their customers concerns but not really acting on them to an extent.

You are right of course. :) They aren't going to worry about us as long as they don't get a drop in bookings. But I'll be interested in how their bookings go in the next year or two if there isn't an improvement. That will be the proof of the pudding.

And as for the Q&A I think you've hit the nail on the head. Token gesture.

The last year or two has seen changes which have probably been lauded at HQ (increasing profits) but it's the aftermath they need to worry about. Short term gains - but if it leaves a legacy of defecting passengers, even a relatively small percentage, that means they've got to fill more cabins and find increasing numbers of new passengers. I could very well be wrong but I fear they are taking their customers for granted and I don't appreciate that at all. It's a strategy which may come back to bite them.

Please someone come back and tell us things have improved! :rolleyes:

Edited by kruzseeka