Shorts?

Rallytime1975

This is even more entertaining than the fights over formal nights!

I guess I'm either strange/silly/stupid, but why on earth would I care if someone wears shorts to the theater????? Aren't we there to see a show-facing forward in the dark?

This is even more entertaining than the fights over formal nights!

I guess I'm either strange/silly/stupid, but why on earth would I care if someone wears shorts to the theater????? Aren't we there to see a show-facing forward in the dark?

Point very well taken. And while we are at it, how many folks spend time on their hands and knees in the MDR crawling under tables to see if folks are wearing shorts???;)

I am in my late 60's and I still think guys in their 20-30's look great/hot in shorts. But I see guys my age and I think ...... knobby knees and hairy legs. Usually accompanied by high black socks and sandals:eek: Sorta like women in my age group wearing a bikini. There comes a point lol Don't flame me - just my opinion! Just like my DH looks ok in khaki's and a polo but put him in a tux, wow, different story :D:D

The long and short of it for us is that we are usually too busy having a good time to really care whether someone is wearing shorts or slacks. It is just not top of mind for us.....probably because we tend to keep to ourselves and mind our own business.

Ahh Yes, being from Lowell, I guess that says it all!! Thank God you're not from Lawrence, I'd really hate to see how you'd dress.

Well what a rude comment from someone who thinks they are above everyone. Grow up and get off your high horse.

Edited by Bosjoe

The long and short of it for us is that we are usually too busy having a good time to really care whether someone is wearing shorts or slacks. It is just not top of mind for us.....probably because we tend to keep to ourselves and mind our own business.

That is how DH feels as well. It never ceases to amaze me how so many care so much about what others wear. I respect the dress code and if we choose to attend certain events dining etc would abide. But just walking around the ship at night if we are tired from a long day and just don't feel like dressing up I feel we shouldn't feel strange about it and we don't. I know many love to dress up but for us it is not a priority. Although DH feels it is not fair that I could out on a maxi dress and sandals and be ok but he has to wear a jacket and tie to be acceptable. Hopefully the cruise lines will continue to evolve what they ask as our habits change. Let those that want to dress do so but don't require it of others. Just my two cents. Will be curious to see what happens on reflection soon. We always had some looks on HAL if we weren't dressed but we weren't alone in our casual attire. To each his own and surely what I wear does not impact your cruise. There is a difference between walking around in tattered t shirts and flip flops and nice collared shirt and long shorts which is what DH wears in the evening. We shall see.

Not on the cruises we go on.

C'mon everyone, let's be big boys after 5 and wear your long pants, everywhere on the ship. Not such a big deal - you have to put on some kind of pants any way.

Then it should not be such a big deal if one chooses to wear shorts.

I always wear long slacks when I eat in the MDR, as does DW.

But frankly, if someone shows up in shorts it absolutely has zero impact on us. We don't care...probably because we have no control over what other people wear. We feel the same way about people who dress to a different taste than us. That is what makes the world go round.

So why sweat details like that when we are enjoying our cruise so much?

Edited by iancal

I always wear long slacks when I eat in the MDR, as does DW.

But frankly, if someone shows up in shorts it absolutely has zero impact on us. We don't care...probably because we have no control over what other people wear. We feel the same way about people who dress to a different taste than us. That is what makes the world go round.

So why sweat details like that when we are enjoying our cruise so much?

Exactly, I wear jeans or khakis, and if I feel like I want to wear shorts later there is no rule that says I can not. If I go to the buffet for dinner I'll wear shorts or jeans. I have changed when it has been very warm on the ship after dinner. So big deal.

Enjoy the people you are with and that you make long time friends with.

Edited by Bosjoe

Exactly, I wear jeans or khakis, and if I feel like I want to wear shorts later there is no rule that says I can not. If I go to the buffet for dinner I'll wear shorts or jeans. I have changed when it has been very warm on the ship after dinner. So big deal.

Enjoy the people you are with and that you make long time friends with.

So would it be ok for DH to wear his nice shorts and collared shirt to the bars after dinner then? He doesn't care at all what people think but I do. More out of respect than anything but just hoping it wouldn't be an issue. Is there a better bar to choose on formal nights for drinks after dinner where we won't feel (or I won't feel) out of place. Do others change after dinner to be more comfortable? I know there will be different answers but just trying to get the vibe. This is all new for us with this cruise line. We always knew the expectations on HAL but I a, clueless here. Been trying to absorb all the info I can and thanks to those of you on this board. Dinner we have worked out.....just the time after that I need some guidance. Thanks.

So would it be ok for DH to wear his nice shorts and collared shirt to the bars after dinner then? He doesn't care at all what people think but I do. More out of respect than anything but just hoping it wouldn't be an issue. Is there a better bar to choose on formal nights for drinks after dinner where we won't feel (or I won't feel) out of place. Do others change after dinner to be more comfortable? I know there will be different answers but just trying to get the vibe. This is all new for us with this cruise line. We always knew the expectations on HAL but I a, clueless here. Been trying to absorb all the info I can and thanks to those of you on this board. Dinner we have worked out.....just the time after that I need some guidance. Thanks.

I follow the rules of the dining room. Formal I don't go to and go to the pay restaurant or buffet. I did not do the shows but have read they have stopped people entering the lower level and have had people not properly dressed go in the upper level. I have been to the martini bar at night in shorts or pants and never had an issue. I wear a nice pair of white shorts and polo shirts and nice summer shoes. If someone does not like what I wear to bad. I never felt out of place, I have met great people That's what makes the cruise fun and enjoyable.

A majority of people do not change, but some do. I have seen more people on formal night change then other nights, especially after a show or after dinner if they do not do the show. Those ties if anything come off quicker the high school prom dress. :D

Edited by Bosjoe

Having cruised with both lines I would say expectations on HAL and Celebrity would be about the same. I don't really see wearing shorts at the bars on HAL after dinner on formal night as anything but outlier. It appears you don't mind that so why do you need guidance? At this point I am wondering if you really want to be clued in or if what you are really about is stirring the pot.

Edited by Charles4515

I am sorry if you feel I was trying to stir the pot. Never my intention. Just trying to learn about what to expect. I personally dress nicer than DH and just wondered what we might see. At some point I am guessing you were new as well. Any look at my previous posts wil show I am not like that at all. If anything I care too much about others feelings and thus my many questions. DH says don't worry about what others think but I am a rule follower and so it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I follow the rules of the dining room. Formal I don't go to and go to the pay restaurant or buffet. I did not do the shows but have read they have stopped people entering the lower level and have had people not properly dressed go in the upper level. I have been to the martini bar at night in shorts or pants and never had an issue. I wear a nice pair of white shorts and polo shirts and nice summer shoes. If someone does not like what I wear to bad. I never felt out of place, I have met great people That's what makes the cruise fun and enjoyable.

A majority of people do not change, but some do. I have seen more people on formal night change then other nights, especially after a show or after dinner if they do not do the show. Those ties if anything come off quicker the high school prom dress. :D

Thank you for your response. As we never eat in the dining room that will work well for us. The specialty restaurants sound great so we will explore them. I need to just relax and not worry about what people think. DH and I truly love being at sea and have enjoyed every trip we have taken so far. I am very excited about trying Celebrity and can't wait to see the ship and meet some great cruisers!!

In answer to your question, it is completely fine for you husband to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt around the ship after dinner, just not to the theater. The best bar for this attire is the Sunset bar which is outside, keep in mind one side will be smoking, but the other side isn't. This is the smoking area for pipes and cigars so if you have a problem with that make sure that you go to the starboard side.

Although he's okay in the other bars he's likely to stand out a little more in them. Also will depend on the cruise, of course you're going to see more shorts in the Caribbean than in Alaska.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others think, especially if you are following the rules and guidelines.

Thank you for your response. As we never eat in the dining room that will work well for us. The specialty restaurants sound great so we will explore them. I need to just relax and not worry about what people think. DH and I truly love being at sea and have enjoyed every trip we have taken so far. I am very excited about trying Celebrity and can't wait to see the ship and meet some great cruisers!!

For what it's worth I always wear shorts the first evening on the ship. We always have early Traditional dining and always go to the theater after. Never been an issue with the staff. All other nights I dress according to the evening dress guidelines and we remain dressed that way the entire evening. Enjoy your Cruise.

I am sorry if you feel I was trying to stir the pot. Never my intention. Just trying to learn about what to expect. I personally dress nicer than DH and just wondered what we might see. At some point I am guessing you were new as well. Any look at my previous posts wil show I am not like that at all. If anything I care too much about others feelings and thus my many questions. DH says don't worry about what others think but I am a rule follower and so it goes.
In answer to your question, it is completely fine for you husband to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt around the ship after dinner, just not to the theater.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others think, especially if you are following the rules and guidelines.

Couldn't agree more. Foodgirl, didn't seem to me like you were trying to "stir the pot" vs. just asking for information. While we'll be dressing up in suit/cocktail dress at a minimum, if not tux/gown - and likely staying that way all evening... I don't think your DH is doing anything wrong at all if he changes into dressy shorts and a collared shirt after dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

For what it's worth I always wear shorts the first evening on the ship. We always have early Traditional dining and always go to the theater after. Never been an issue with the staff. All other nights I dress according to the evening dress guidelines and we remain dressed that way the entire evening. Enjoy your Cruise.

I finally get what this is about. While her DH does not worry about what other people think, she does worry.

I honestly don't think except for a few who post on Cruise Critic most passengers think much about what others are wearing. I can only recall being startled once on a cruise. A young lady was wearing a bikini in the inside public lounge areas after dinner. She and the bikini were a 10. I don't recall the crew taking issue.

Edited by Charles4515

I finally get what this is about. While her DH does not worry about what other people think, she does worry.

I honestly don't think except for a few who post on Cruise Critic most passengers think much about what others are wearing. I can only recall being startled once on a cruise. A young lady was wearing a bikini in the inside public lounge areas after dinner. She and the bikini were a 10. I don't recall the crew taking issue.

They probably didn't say anything because it is not against the rules. Is it unusual, yes but not against the rules of the ship. If it was they would close the pools at 6 which they don't It should also be pointed out that several years ago it specifically stated in all brochures and on the web site that the dress code for the evening (there were three types at the time) applied after 6 throughout the entire ship. That is long gone.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I know I worry too much what people think. It is just the follow the rules thing in me. I personally don't care what others wear so I will just relax and keep packing....yes already started!! I am so excited about this trip I can't tell you. I really appreciate all the feedback. It makes me feel much better.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I know I worry too much what people think. It is just the follow the rules thing in me. I personally don't care what others wear so I will just relax and keep packing....yes already started!! I am so excited about this trip I can't tell you. I really appreciate all the feedback. It makes me feel much better.

Following the stated rules is (should be at least) required - doing more than that is optional! Nothing in the rules about formal dress throughout the ship AFTER dinner. The ones who are the real oafs are those who insist they're going to wear casual shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to the dining room on formal night because ITS MY VACATION AND I PAID FOR IT!!" :rolleyes: I've seen absolutely nothing like that in this thread at all. Again, enjoy! :)

On one of our Captain's table invites I had to wear jean pants because for some reason my tux pants weren't packed.

Had the shirt, vest, studs, tie and coat, but not the pants.

Nobody said a thing. :D

A damn good job of doing your best to observe the requested dress under the circumstances, I'd say! :D

They probably didn't say anything because it is not against the rules. Is it unusual, yes but not against the rules of the ship. If it was they would close the pools at 6 which they don't It should also be pointed out that several years ago it specifically stated in all brochures and on the web site that the dress code for the evening (there were three types at the time) applied after 6 throughout the entire ship. That is long gone.

Yes, the gym/spa area is also open after 6pm so you'll see evening exercisers walking to/from in casual clothing. I'm glad they got rid of the dress code shipwide because not everyone is on the same schedule for dining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app