New Pool Towel Policy....Working Well

PJADS

Just off Oasis Jan. 11th. Loved not having to show a seapass to receive a pool towel. Must admit, I used more than 1 on a few days. Royal collects them on Labadee and on the ship, as you return. ( just toss them in a laundry bin.) Who has room in luggage to take them home????? Not many.

So happy about this new policy! The old one was an absolute butt whoopin'. Besides, we were on the Navigator and those towels had definitely seen their better days and nobody would want to take those raggedy suckers home :D

Thanks for posting. Good to hear about being collected on Labadee and bins on board the ship as you return.

for sure that was a pain dragging that towel around after you get back on the ship

Dear Cruise-Critics,

I was on BoS last week...

There was no charge for towels, which I was told will be rolled out fleet wide.

This resulted in any chair being reserved immediately, on some days starting at 5AM.

People take their towels everywhere (incl. whirlpool, on excursions dumping it there etc.). Leaving a deck chair for good NOBODY brings back the towels. Some who tend to bring it back, dump the towels on deck chairs that already have towels on while being on their way out...

I asked the deck patrol guy to enforce the deck chair reservation policy... nothing happend, other that deck patrol was cleaning stuff most of the day.

Some deck chairs had towels on all day, fully untouched, resulting in having a hard time to find an empty spot.

I had an open word with the guy handing out towels. He is well aware of these issues and finds it a petty. He many times told his manager but nothing happens. On top he confirmed the no-longer charging for towel thing.

Did I miss those drastic changes ?

The towel policy (and alcohol policy, see my other thread) are the important things for me that make me booking RCCL over and over and avoid e.g. Carnival.

We were kind of disappointed and now, having 8 RCCL-only cruises, intend to book our first non-RCCL cruise.

Thank you for your feedback and regards

Christian

Edited by ChristianDecker

I've not seen any announcement from Royal regarding the change in towel policy. However, there have been several reports of the change from different ships, so it does not appear to be an isolated change.

in my experience, the "chair saving" policy is never enforced. The "suggested dining room attire" is never enforced. And we'll see how well the "no smoking" policy is enforced. In my opinion the crew wants everyone to have a great vacation. They don't want to argue or upset anyone. So they just allow these irritating things to go unenforced.

Honestly, I don't know how you enforce a chair saving policy. Some are obvious, I saw passengers putting towels out at 7:45 am in their pajamas! But how do you tell if someone has just gone to the restroom? Other than setting something on a chair that denotes the time you saw it empty, and come back say 45 min. later, like a "meter maid" does with tire marks, how would the deck patrol know?

Problem lays with people. Some are so self oriented that they have no consideration for others. "Let others follow rules, I'm going to smoke, I'm going to save seats, etc." It's a "me" world. They feel they paid for their vacation so they should have whatever they want. They don't seem to understand that we paid for our vacation too. And more and more finally just give up and "join the crowd."

I love RCCL, and will continue to cruise them. I don't see this being any better anywhere else. Maybe the "ultra luxury" cruise lines, but not necessarily in my budget, nor the experience I may want. So, I "adjust." I learn to live with the "irritations."

Oh well.

The Sheraton Waikiki has laminated cards that are left on chairs that inform you that your towel will be removed at a certain time. They give two hours. Not so hard to implement...I don't know why a Royal doesn't do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

just off the allure last week and the new towel policy is in effect.. no signing in or out for towels... and I did notice pool staff removing towels from chaise lounges...

The Sheraton Waikiki has laminated cards that are left on chairs that inform you that your towel will be removed at a certain time. They give two hours. Not so hard to implement...I don't know why a Royal doesn't do it.

I'm pretty sure they are (or were at least) doing this on Carnival only I think it was 30-40 minutes of the chair being "tagged" before the towels, shoes, books, whatever were removed by the deck police. How will it worked I don't know for sure because we haven't been on CCL since they stated that policy.

Edit: Also, as far as I know, CCL is still placing towels in the guests rooms that are to be used at the pool, on excursions, etc. and charging you if they come up missing. They aren't "free" or unmonitored on CCL which can lead to excessive chair hogging, as the OP seems to suggest.

Edited by joepeka

Although as of 12/12, Princess was using the same towel system as Carnival and chair hogging didn't seem to be a major issue. <shrug>

If enough people give feedback that RCL needs to be better about clearing towels to find space at the pool, they'd probably start doing so.

Alternatively, just sit on a chair with a clean folded towel and call it a day. In the unlikely event the person comes back tell them you thought it was your towel... apologize since they all look alike, and ask them if they are sure they were saving a chair a few spots over. :D

That's way too much time on a cruise ship. I'd give it 45 min. That's enough time to grab a burger or go to the restroom or go back to your cabin for a forgotten item etc. If you need to be gone longer, take your stuff and let someone else use the chair.

non smoking on balcony was great (ex- smoker) not a whiff.

not many people in shorts in dinning room whole trip.

towel patrol working hard . i saw many towels saving chairs removed.

excellent work.

my review to come

Sounds like your ship was following the policies. If they all do that then pax will get used to them and MOST will follow them.

I am glad they changed their policy...I did not like having to stand in line to check out towels, and then stand in line again to return them. :D

I did not like the standing in line either. We found that sometimes the card reader was broken and they wrote down numbers. This really slowed down the line and led to incorrect charges.

I read about this a while ago on the boards. Carnival had a sticker that they would post on empty chairs that were covered with one towel and a flip-flop for example. After 30 minutes passed it was time-up and the chair was removed of its objects by the pool deck attendants. Chair hog 0, deck attendant 1.

Not sure if it worked and never really heard that much more about it.

Dear Cruise-Critics,

I was on BoS last week...

There was no charge for towels, which I was told will be rolled out fleet wide.

This resulted in any chair being reserved immediately, on some days starting at 5AM.

Maybe you should start taking towels home in you suitcase and hope they bring back the towel checkout process again. :D

There were people that left RCCL when they implemented the charging for non returned towels and now they are leaving because they aren't charging for towels so it just goes to show you can't please everyone.

We just got off Independence and liked the new policy. I did notice more towels laying around but if the pool area was crowded and a lot of chairs only had towels on them and nothing else - we would move the towel and sit down - never had a problem.

When they were charging for towels I felt like I had to check in every so often and make sure a towel wasn't on my account because they would mess up quite often and I didn't want a $25 charge on my account. It was really a pain when we had our kids with us, I felt like the towel police all week.

I've cruised Royal before the towel policy and after it. The chair hog problem stayed exactly the same.

We just cruised Allure in October and on my comment card, the only negative comment I elaborated on was the towel policy. The waiting in line was ridiculous and they usually only had one station open. Before the checking in and out of towels, there was always a bin to deposit towels when your returned from excursion. Afterwards, you had to find the station to return, wait on line (which could be long if you returned at a popular time) and return the towel.

I am so happy that they have stopped doing this! I hope the cabin attendants will begin giving them out again!

Just off Oasis Jan. 11th. Loved not having to show a seapass to receive a pool towel. Must admit, I used more than 1 on a few days. Royal collects them on Labadee and on the ship, as you return. ( just toss them in a laundry bin.) Who has room in luggage to take them home????? Not many.

WE were just on the Allure for New Years. Either they just changed it after our sailing or Allure is not part of the change. hmmmm

We don't go to the pool very often, but when walking in the morning, we've always seen towels used to save chairs, whether or not there was a sign-out policy in effect. It sounds like the pool crew on Brilliance weren't doing their jobs, and I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't have anybody assigned to remove towels in an effort to save a little money.

I hope you mentioned it on your comment card, so that corporate is aware of the problem. In my experience, they are very good at following up on onboard issues.

The longest I'm in the pool is 45 minutes then I go back to my chair and dry off and move to a chair closer to the spa and go in for 10 minted and go back to my stateroom. If I know I'm going to sunbathe then I take a lounge chair but if I know I'm just going in to the pool and spa I take one of the chairs at the tables in the Solarium and put my shirt on the chair with my towel and shoes underneath.

I have seen chair hogs who literally are there at the break of dawn just to get their chair. I have even seen this same couple sitting in the Windjammer for a long time eating schmoozing in the same area as if they own the ship. I overheard the waiter talk with the head waiter about how they need the space for lunch. Longest I have spent in the Windjammer is 1 hour but that is during the slow times. When I see its getting crowded I give up my seat and will return later on.

I can't believe how posessivie people can get as if they are the only people in the world on the cruise.

When I'm at a hotel if someone needs to use the computer then I give it up to them and I politely ask if people are waiting.

It all goes down to basic manners. Do unto others and you would like done to you is the name of the game when cruising. Be cordial. So what if you have to go somewhere else for awhile its not like that area of the ship is going away.