What would YOU like to see the gift shops carry?

WestLakeGirl

I'd like to see things from the countries the ship visits ... and not t-shirts! So maybe prepackaged food from those countries (or regions), books, magazines, even little trinkets.

And clothes - well, would love to see some stuff that is affordable and not just 'resort'. Sometimes I find that I want something different from what's in the suitcase, but I don't want a t-shirt with an anchor on front, or a designer top.

We are so over the merchandise we see cruise after cruise. It's time for some fresh ideas

Convert the gift shops to expensive suites with huge balconies or kids club areas... :confused:

...and RESTORE THE SKY LOUNGE! :mad: With a REAL dance floor!

Edited by teecee60

Well, if I can take the liberal interpretation of this question, I'd love it if they ditched the gift shops and replaced them with some combination of side bars, a sports betting lounge, and additional bistros. All of the most popular items would still be available for purchase through the concierge, of course.

Getting back to what I think was a real question (and keep in mind that Celebrity does read these boards, so suggestions might be a good idea:)), I have a number of ideas. I have been very disappointed in the shops onboard.

I would like to see more nice, mid-priced items that can be brought home as souvenirs/gifts for the folks at home, or as reminders of a great cruise. Many of us have kids/grandkids at home, or dog sitters, and it would be nice to be able to pick up a nice little gift that wasn't too cheap or tacky. I used to love the t-shirts they carried - now they are either super expensive or boring. The coffee mugs have really gone downhill as well IMHO. I like the suggestion of some items from the ports being visited.

I think it would be a great idea to have a shop with some real and mid-priced clothing onboard for those times when...ooops....I forgot something. A small selection of essentials - socks, underwear (ok, put these towards the back of the shop:D), ties, plain dress shirts, plain slacks, plain black pants for women, shorts, tops. I am not talking recreating Macy's onboard - but some basics onboard would be nice. I also wish they would include some clothes that fit women size 14 and up (which is a considerable number of us these days!).

I think it would be a great idea to have a shop with some real and mid-priced clothing onboard for those times when...ooops....I forgot something. A small selection of essentials - socks, underwear (ok, put these towards the back of the shop:D), ties, plain dress shirts, plain slacks, plain black pants for women, shorts, tops. I am not talking recreating Macy's onboard - but some basics onboard would be nice. I also wish they would include some clothes that fit women size 14 and up (which is a considerable number of us these days!).

Yes, yes! This! A selection of sizes. And stuff for men, too. While Tommy Bahama is nice, how about something under $125?

Having not traveled yet on Celebrity some might view my comments as uninformed however I'm assuming the shops are similar to RCCL.

On our 3 MSC cruises I have always purchased a clothing item not because I needed it but because they had really nice stuff at reasonable prices. Always top quality and made in Italy or Europe but not made in China T-shirts.

I would love to see reasonably priced necessities: aspirin (or tylenol), bandaids, cough drops, sunscreen, cortisone cream, etc. etc

I couldn't agree more. We've paid a great deal for this vacation and god forbid we forget toothpaste, it would be great if we didn't have to shell out $8.50 for a small tube.

I would also like to see more nice, reasonably priced clothing; not just t-shirts, logo wear and shapeless, one size fits all stretchy waist formal wear. Many years ago I bought a gorgeous satin gown on the Summit, and I still wear it (in fact wore it on Silhouette in December). I also remember other great Liz Claiborne and Calvin Klein items that were available on board, so I'm not sure when they stopped carrying the name brand and went to the same old, same old on every ship. There was some nice stuff in the Michael Kors shop on Silhouette, but it was picked through and not replenished at any time throughout the cruise, so not being a size 4 nor a size 14 there was nothing there for me.

This question intrigues me. I am not much of a shopper, but whenever we are on a cruise, DH and I often stroll through the shops. We never buy much because the quality:cost ratio of most of the merchandise is off kilter. (Either that, or we just don't need it in our lives.) When we have bought things, they have been products from the countries we visited, or objects auctioned from the Hot Glass show.

So, I think that I would like to see more products relevant to the itinerary and maybe some classier souvenirs that are also useful. By classy, I mean things that don't scream, "I am a Celebrity souvenir!" No ship key chains, no cheap T-shirts. . .

I like the idea of travel clothes. I take those zipper pants and always keep an eye out for travel sports jackets and so on w lots of pockets.

On our first Celebrity cruise on the Mercury in '97, my wife bought herself and daughters a piece of Jewerly shaped like an 'X' that was very memorable for the cruise. So pieces of tasteful, yes I know how subjective that can be, memorabilia would be nice.

Den

The shops aren't run by Celebrity but there are clearly lots of tie-ins, with all the Celebrity logo products, and I'll bet that Celebrity has a lot to say about the items carried.

Would like some inexpensive souvenirs...bookmarks as an example....that you could buy multiples of for the grandchildren/nieces/nephews.

One time I found switch flops and straps in a ship store, I love these, they are great for cruising, one pair of shoes to switch up to match all outfits. I would love to be able to buy new straps on board.

Also most of the clothes they sell won't fit me, another vote for larger sizes.

I'm also not into fine jewelry any more I would like to buy some affordable jewelry on board.

What she said! :D

I absolutely agree! It seems like there is either low or high end....nothing in the middle. LOL, the jewelry vendor showed my hubby a yellow diamond onboard and told him it was 15K....we bought one for $1700 that I was very happy with in St. Thomas. It's pretty noticeable....lol, the girl I work with saw it right away!:p And yes, many of us are over the size of a 14....a few plus sizes might be nice!

Getting back to what I think was a real question (and keep in mind that Celebrity does read these boards, so suggestions might be a good idea:)), I have a number of ideas. I have been very disappointed in the shops onboard.

I would like to see more nice, mid-priced items that can be brought home as souvenirs/gifts for the folks at home, or as reminders of a great cruise. Many of us have kids/grandkids at home, or dog sitters, and it would be nice to be able to pick up a nice little gift that wasn't too cheap or tacky. I used to love the t-shirts they carried - now they are either super expensive or boring. The coffee mugs have really gone downhill as well IMHO. I like the suggestion of some items from the ports being visited.

shoes! The need to carry lots of size 8 dress shoes. One year I accidentally left my shoes at the hotel and didn't realize until we set sail. It was a transatlantic cruise and they don't sell shoes. They need some basic black emergency shoes!

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain