Not so low cost, SW airlines

alanwagen

So, living in Kansas City, the only chance we get to see Virgin is (a) flying 35k feet over us, or (b) an emergency landing.

So true...my son was flying BOS-LAX on Virgin. They shut down an engine and made a precautionary landing in OMA. The airline did a fairly decent job of flying a recovery plane from SFO and continuing everyone's trip to LAX.

In the spirit of correctness and to avoid confusion, SW is not the IATA abbreviation for Southwest Airllines. SW is the code for Air Namibia. The code for Southwest is WN. Julia

We have been through that diversion more times than anyone cares to count. SW is commonly accepted among the general flying public (i.e. not avid flyers and not DYKWIA's) as being Southwest. Heck, you obviously realized they were talking about Southwest :D

And in the further spirit of correctness and to avoid confusion, presumably what FlaGrl4Evr is referring to is a non-stop flight, not a direct one. WN has a LOT of direct flights that are most certainly NOT non-stop.

Actually all non-stop flights are direct flights. But not all direct flights are non-stop. So technically the poster was correct even if they meant non-stop.

Edited by frugaltravel

Actually all non-stop flights are direct flights. But not all direct flights are non-stop. So technically the poster was correct even if they meant non-stop.

No, not really. Yes, a nonstop is, by defintion, a direct flight, but the OP said direct flight when I'd bet the bank that he/she meant not just any old direct flight, but one that is nonstop specifically. i.e. I'll bet they were referring to travel that included no intermediary stops in between boarding and deplaning.

No, not really. Yes, a nonstop is, by defintion, a direct flight, but the OP said direct flight when I'd bet the bank that he/she meant not just any old direct flight, but one that is nonstop specifically. i.e. I'll bet they were referring to travel that included no intermediary stops in between boarding and deplaning.

You can "bet" all you want but that doesnt change the definition or the fact that the OP was correct.

WN has announced new NON-STOP routes ex-DAL starting in mid-October. That is when the Wright Amendment distance restrictions are lifted. Cities are as follows:

Atlanta, Baltimore/Washington, Chicago - Midway, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Nashville, New York City - La Guardia, Orange County, CA, Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa Bay, and Washington D.C. - Reagan.

Service to five of those cities will start on October 13. The rest on Nov 2. The first five cities haven't been announced.

My issue with Southwest is that in order to fly from NY to Boise I have to leave from Newark ONLY. Doesn't matter that multiple flights change in Denver from other NY airports, only way to get routing to BOI is to leave on one of three flights (sometimes less) from EWR.

I usually fly United now and yes pay for Plus, no status only fly twice a year to see parents. Before AA went bankrupt did fly AA to BOI but they dropped the twice daily Eagle flight when they filed for bankruptcy. There I was able to use miles.

We have been through that diversion more times than anyone cares to count. SW is commonly accepted among the general flying public (i.e. not avid flyers and not DYKWIA's) as being Southwest. Heck, you obviously realized they were talking about Southwest :D

If one were checking the status of a flight at flightstats.com and entered "SW" one would see Air Namibia, not Southwest. Therefore, it is helpful to know the correct code. Cruise Critic is a good resource with kind people people willing to help.

You can "bet" all you want but that doesnt change the definition or the fact that the OP was correct.

Oh for God's sake, you and I both know the OP was in all likelihood talking about a nonstop flight, not simply a direct one flight as posted. :rolleyes:

I posted the clarification for the benefit of others who may not realize there is a difference.

Oh for God's sake, you and I both know the OP was in all likelihood talking about a nonstop flight, not simply a direct one flight as posted. :rolleyes:

I posted the clarification for the benefit of others who may not realize there is a difference.

You know, you can block a poster if you can't just ignore them.

Not only is Southwest not the cheapest even with their "Bags Fly Free" you can't even earn miles for international carriers like you can on American and United. There is no assigned seating and their IFE is very limited if you have your own Wifi enabled device. They don't even sell meals just those peanuts.

Virgin America on the other hand is night and day they offer free satellite TV assigned seating and meals for purchase. If you upgrade to Main Cabin Select or in First Class you get one free checked bag in Main Cabin Select, Free alcohol and decent food offerings.

There are pay per view movies for $5-$8 and complimentary audio channels and playlists to keep your entertained as well as games. You can even access the internet from your seat for a fee so you don't have to take out your laptop and take up the traytable space. There are also standard electrical outlets and USB outlets to charge your devices.

Southwest is past its prime for many people. Those people who think they are getting a good deal can think again. They don't have the time to comparison shop. The Rapid Rewards Program is not as good as other airlines. So what if I have to change planes I would much rather fly in Econ Plus on United than Southwest. How do I get my Grandmother to stop flying this cattle car airline?

For instance I'm going down to LA in March and on Virgin America I got a round trip ticket for $118 Southwest and American wanted $158. Even if I had to pay for a bak it still would be better to fly on Virgin for their added amenities and more comfortable seats. On American they bus you to and from this bus station remote terminal.

On Virgin I have access to their Loft at LAX with my Priority Pass as well as access to the Club@SJC which is just one gate down from Virgin.

See where I'm getting?

You are correct Virgin America gets great reviews. Now the down side...a very limited route network. I live in Houston (last time I checked a major city in the US) and the only way i can fly them is to go to either Dallas or Austin.

I fly SW more than any other airline. The trick is to check the rates each and everyday. I always check very early in the day as sometimes the rates will go back up as the hours pass.

How far in advance do you start checking ?

I will need a flight either from DTW (Detroit) or FNT (Flint Mich) to TPA (Tampa) on dec 5, 2014 and back to the same airport on dec 13,2014.

When does South West realeses the schedule and pricing for the above dates ?

June 1 ?, sooner ?, later ?

Will they show the dec 5,2014 first ? and the dec 13,2014 later on a later released schedule ?

Delta has/ had some better prices than South West so I will be watching both.

How far in advance do you start checking ?

I will need a flight either from DTW (Detroit) or FNT (Flint Mich) to TPA (Tampa) on dec 5, 2014 and back to the same airport on dec 13,2014.

When does South West realeses the schedule and pricing for the above dates ?

June 1 ?, sooner ?, later ?

Will they show the dec 5,2014 first ? and the dec 13,2014 later on a later released schedule ?

Delta has/ had some better prices than South West so I will be watching both.

I'm not sure when SouthWest releases their new blocks of dates. Perhaps another poster may know the answer to this, but they are usually released about 6 months prior.

Your travel dates may or may not all be released at one time. This happened to me last year when I needed a flt from IND to FLL 4/12 & 4/20. I booked for April 12th the very day that block of dates was released and then had to wait a few weeks to book my return flt for April 20th from FLL back to IND. Don't be intimidated to book 2 separate reservations. If both of your travel dates are not released at one time and you wait, you may risk having the rates just continue to go up. Especially if you are wanting to fly during a peak-season or a certain Holiday or date. Those April dates mentioned above were around Easter and I just knew if I waited they would continue to climb in price......... and they did.

I have 4 separate flights booked. ( actually 6 since two are round-trips and two are one-way flts.) I just make it routine to check the rates each day when I view my morning e-mail. I start to check the day after I book and continue to check right up to my

date of the flight. With that said, I have never received a price drop within 14 days of the flight.

Flt1- BWI to IND- one-way - booked early Oct. for a late March flt. I have received 2 significant drops since booking.

Flt 2- Booked in early Nov for IND to TPA.- for a mid March flt. round-trip Again recd 2 drops.

Flt 3- TPA to IND round trip-for an early March Flt. Just booked last month and recd one price drop

Flt 4- Tpa to BWI - one way for an early April flt.. Booked early Oct and recd one very,very nice drop in price.

What you need to do when you see a drop in the rate, is to rebook the flight. It is very easy to do from the website. You will then have a credit to use within one year from your original booking date, not the date of the flight.

Good luck to you.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Virgin America refuses to acknowledge that there are people who live in between the coast (except for a select few cities). So, living in Kansas City, the only chance we get to see Virgin is (a) flying 35k feet over us, or (b) an emergency landing. Southwest is king here, and Virgin isn't an option.

Yes, it's just an intentional slight of KC and other interior cities, and has nothing to do with routes they can get (they need to get permission for slots at airports) that would be most profitable for them. Several airlines besides Southwest fly to Kansas City.

Edited by Fattony

Yes, it's just an intentional slight of KC and other interior cities, and has nothing to do with routes they can get (they need to get permission for slots at airports) that would be most profitable for them. Several airlines besides Southwest fly to Kansas City.

Yes I know how both economics and the airline industry work. It was a joke. And of course several airlines fly to Kansas City other than WN. I am Executive Platinum on one of them and fly them most weeks (including 6am this morning). But WN is king in Kansas City, and there is no denying it.

[quote name=FlaGrl4Evr;41557312........ Don't be intimidated to book 2 separate reservations. If both of your travel dates are not released at one time and you wait' date=' you may risk having the rates just continue to go up. .........

What you need to do when you see a drop in the rate, is to rebook the flight. It is very easy to do from the website. You will then have a credit to use within one year from your original booking date, not the date of the flight.

Good luck to you.

.[/quote]

Hi,

thank you very much for the explanation - I learned somethings from you.

Still not sure about the booking of two separate reservations for one way to TPA and later another booking one way from TPA to home airport - in case if the dates were not released at the same time.

Are'nt the one way bookings more expensive in comparison with one round trip booking ? I thought that it is always better to book round trip.

Also I am not sure about the drop rate - if there was one and I need to rebook - I will need to pay for the new booking and cancel the one with the higher rate - right ??? And if I do i get the credit for the amount paid on the first reservation ???

And if I do not use it within one year - I loose it ???

Do I need to fly within the one year or just make and pay with the credit for a new reservation ..... during that one year time frame.

Thank you .

Hi,

thank you very much for the explanation - I learned somethings from you.

Still not sure about the booking of two separate reservations for one way to TPA and later another booking one way from TPA to home airport - in case if the dates were not released at the same time.

Are'nt the one way bookings more expensive in comparison with one round trip booking ? I thought that it is always better to book round trip.

Also I am not sure about the drop rate - if there was one and I need to rebook - I will need to pay for the new booking and cancel the one with the higher rate - right ??? And if I do i get the credit for the amount paid on the first reservation ???

And if I do not use it within one year - I loose it ???

Do I need to fly within the one year or just make and pay with the credit for a new reservation ..... during that one year time frame.

Thank you .

Booking one way on SW (SouthWest) is the same, or has been in my experience, the same rate as booking as a round trip. The reason I booked two one-way reservations last April was that when SW released a block of dates, they were only up to April 13th. I needed a flt down to FLL on April 12 and a return on April 20. To get the best rate as it was Spring break, I booked in October when the flt down was released. I then waited a month or two and when SW released their next block of dates, which were 04-14 and beyond, I was then able to book my return flight.

I hope that clears things up.

As far as my upcoming March/April trips, the two one ways are flying from BWI to Indy then driving to Tampa Bay. Staying a few days and flying back to BWI. I'm in the process of a move and trying to tie up loose ends. It's a nightmare really.

As far as the rebooking, it's really easy. When you see that your rate has dropped on your flight, you go to the SouthWest website and click on the Change Flight icon. It is in the upper right hand corner.

Here is the SW site link so you can get a visual of what I am referring to.

http://www.southwest.com/

You then enter your confirmation# and it will pull up your itinerary.

If you have a round-trip and only one leg has been reduced, you just click on the box next to that flight #. If both legs of the trip drop, then click on both flt #'s. It will then bring up the flights for that day and itinerary. You just click on the new rate-same flt# and follow the directions.

You will then be rebooked and the screen will show you the amount that you have as a credit. You will also get an e-mail from SouthWest reflecting the reservation.

It sounds confusing but is really not. Once you've done it once or twice, it is easy. As long as you keep the same flight, everything will remain the same and your reservation # will never change. All you will be doing is rebooking under the new rate to create a credit for yourself.

I hope that I didn't confuse you even more. I took me a few times to get the hang of it. If you are unsure, just call SouthWest customer service and they will walk you through it.

Good luck to you on saving a few bucks.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

As far as the rebooking, it's really easy. When you see that your rate has dropped on your flight, you go to the SouthWest website and click on the Change Flight icon. It is in the upper right hand corner.

Here is the SW site link so you can get a visual of what I am referring to.

Thank you very much - I will do as you described.

Yes I know how both economics and the airline industry work. It was a joke. And of course several airlines fly to Kansas City other than WN. I am Executive Platinum on one of them and fly them most weeks (including 6am this morning). But WN is king in Kansas City, and there is no denying it.

If the Chiefs had done better this past season, after such promise, perhaps more airline would have considered flying there :-)

KC is a fine city. We drove through it once. How many cities did Roger Miller sing songs about?

I was born and raised in L.A., which, unlike K.C., doesn't have an NFL team. Edited by Fattony

• 3 months later...

As far as the rebooking, it's really easy. When you see that your rate has dropped on your flight, you go to the SouthWest website and click on the Change Flight icon. It is in the upper right hand corner. ........

I hope that I didn't confuse you even more. I took me a few times to get the hang of it. If you are unsure, just call SouthWest customer service and they will walk you through it.

Good luck to you on saving a few bucks.

Hi,

I remembered something about what you wrote about getting a credit if the price goes lower ......I am not sure if I should try it.

The rates droped today on my flights ..... not a huge amount but a credit of 36 dol on two tickets is beter than none ...... I am considering to try what you decribed in your post.

Thanks, Wes

The rate just dropped this week on our flights. I called SW and it was taken care of over the phone very quickly. We have credit for our next flights, to be taken within a year. When we book them there will be an area to apply credit and what you apply to that area is your confirmation number for your upcoming flight. So you want to keep that number. :)

The rate just dropped this week on our flights. I called SW and it was taken care of over the phone very quickly. We have credit for our next flights, to be taken within a year. When we book them there will be an area to apply credit and what you apply to that area is your confirmation number for your upcoming flight. So you want to keep that number. :)

Just keep in mind, the credit is good for a year from the date you BOOKED your original flight, not the dates of your flight.

Just keep in mind, the credit is good for a year from the date you BOOKED your original flight, not the dates of your flight.

A bit more precision...all *travel* must be complete within a year of the purchase date.

Example- A flight is booked and purchased on June 1, 2014 for travel in December 2014. But you cancel the flights and get a travel credit. The new flights must be completed by May 31, 2015. This rule means that purchasing far in advance works against you.

Now let's say the travel credit is used for a flight in March, 2015. That fare drops in February 2014, so you request and receive a new travel credit. It still expires on May 31....you can't kick the can down the road with expiration dates.

Edited by kenish