What kind of "enrichment" on Celebrity?

jasbo49

We're leaving in a few days for our first Celebrity cruise and looking forward to (1) the cruise and (2) enjoying the improved atmosphere and offerings. In the past we've cruised mostly on Carnival and found little or no enrichment activities, unless you count liquor tastings or shopping seminars. NCL also offered very little.

Princess had a couple of things like a crash course in Spanish for a Mexican Riviera cruise. That was useful.

Can anyone tell me what we can expect from Celebrity that's free and informative? Cooking demos, wine talks, behind the scenes tours, lessons in anything? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Personally, I always attend the iLounge classes.

I have paid $20 for a course, but last year I noticed that they were free.

On our Infinity TA , we had a series of Space lectures presented by Jim Kennedy, recently retired from Kennedy Space centre.

Also, a series from a photographer who followed the Beatles in their first Year.

I was just mentioning my experience with the Reidel workshop I attended last year on a Celebrity ship. It's not free, but if you compare the price to the price of the glasses you receive, it ends up being so!

I've found Celebrity cruises to be equal to the cost of other cruise lines such as Carnival. That being said, I believe that the ambiance and service I receive to the better. Therefore, I would not mind paying a little extra for enrichment series on board.

I'm about to take my first Alaskan cruise and I hear there is an naturalist on board to keep us informed! That seems pretty cool

What kind of "enrichment" on Celebrity?

Can anyone tell me what we can expect from Celebrity that's free and informative? Cooking demos, wine talks, behind the scenes tours, lessons in anything? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Many "good" things are charged for (eg. Wine Tasting; Yoga; Rosetta Stone; Pilates; Sushi & Ceviche Cooking Class; Cheese & Wine Class; Spinning; Bourbon Tasting; Champagne High Tea, etc).

But, FREE ....

The "kitchen" tour ("Heartbeat of the Operation") is free. It is held once, on a sea-day morning. No other tours are free.

The "Hot Glass Show" (glass blowing demo) out on the top deck is free, and is on once on most days (a 2 hour demo). But not all the ships have this (Solstice, Equinox & Eclipse do).

Scrapbooking is free (not really an enrichment though). Was held 3 times on our 12 night cruise (each time at 9.30 in morning). Max 40 mins.

The "Beyond the Podium" talks are free. Occur on sea days. Not repeated. The topics on our last cruise were pretty dull (Celebrity athletes & the Law; John Paul Jones; Athletes & mental health problems; Football scandals; Overland explorers; Sports bad boys- the rise of steroids).

There may be a Mixology demo by the pool, or an Ice-Carving demo by the pool .

There will be a showcase of the type of food the "pay" restaurants produce - held one morning in the foyer. Tables will be set up in the foyer, with plates of food /table settings from each of the speciality restaurants (to boost sales). Another day there was a demo of "Art of Flambé" one morning in the foyer.

Dance classes are free. But are short, 30 minutes and are held in the Foyer (not a proper dance venue). On our 12 nighter there was 1 Salsa, 2 Tango, 1 Foxtrot, 1 Waltz, 1 Rhumba, 1 Cha Cha.

Computer seminar (there were 2 in 12 days) - one was "What's new in IOS7" (as a powerpoint presentation in the small theatre).

"Oceans Ahead" - a talk about the operation of the ship by a ships officer is free. There were 2 during our cruise (given once) - topics were "Navigation" and "How our ships move".

"Star Chefs Competition" - is free to attend. It's like a tv cook-off game show, between 2 chefs from the ship, each assisted by a passenger. Held in the theatre or Celebrity Central one morning.

Timings of many entertainment items is often less than ideal (often many of the "better" events are timed whereby they clash with each other).

[For example- on one day the following were all on at either 2pm or 2.30pm : Tango class, Trivia, Hockey Shootout, Wine & Cheese Tasting, Champagne High Tea, Beyond the Podium speaker, a Computer talk).

We've had a lot of the stuff listed above so I won't repeat. But we've also had Jim Kennedy (ex director of Kennedy Space station) who did four "talks" and was amazing, confessions of a customs officer, very funny! And recently a CSI series of four talks :)

Does it count as 'Enrichment' when we get a book from the Library to save a lounger by the pool?:D or use a coupon for a bonus card at Bingo?

Sorry, just having fun, as we avoid the P.B.S. talks when on a cruise anyway. But will go to the wine tastings and food demos.

We had a great series on DNA and crimes on the recent TransAtlantic. Dr. Hal Tinberg gave several fascinating talks from identiying a Titanic child, to solving crimes all using DNA. The talks were mainly on sea days. I guess they were designed to entertain us on the sea days, but they were well attended, hardly an empty seat. Also some interesting films, not just entertainment, but ones like Kon-Tiki exploration.

We had a great series on DNA and crimes on the recent TransAtlantic. Dr. Hal Tinberg gave several fascinating talks from identiying a Titanic child, to solving crimes all using DNA. The talks were mainly on sea days. I guess they were designed to entertain us on the sea days, but they were well attended, hardly an empty seat. Also some interesting films, not just entertainment, but ones like Kon-Tiki exploration.

He was on our Equinox cruise in November, the cruise before the transatlantic which I guess you were on? :)

We had great speakers on the 2012 Silhouette TA from New Jersey to Rome, including Sam Jones NBA Hall of Famer for the Boston Celtics. For me, That was one of the highlights of the cruise. He was always available and willing to talk at length after the lectures, too. Very entertaining for all basketball fans and his talks were very popular.:D

Thanks to each of you, and I must say a special thanks to TheWren for going into such detail. I am really looking forward to seeing the offerings in the Celebrity Today dailies.

I didn't mention before that we're talking about a 5-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Constellation, so I'm sure there won't be as much offered as a Transatlantic or a 10- to 14-night cruise.

But just the fact that there are cooking demonstrations and kitchen tours and maybe a port talk that doesn't focus entirely on shopping sounds promising.

Jim