Will we be over run with spring breakers?

LiseD

Considering a mid March, 5 day cruise out of Ft. Laud on Ruby Princess. I did a RC cruise out of Port Canaveral last March and it was full of college students. The paramedics arrived and this was before we left port!! So a bit worried about even thinking of another March cruise!! :) But was wondering if the kids go more for Carnival or RC? Plus Port Canaveral is also a shorter drive for the GA schools that are on break?? Love your thoughts.

Considering a mid March, 5 day cruise out of Ft. Laud on Ruby Princess. I did a RC cruise out of Port Canaveral last March and it was full of college students. The paramedics arrived and this was before we left port!! So a bit worried about even thinking of another March cruise!! :) But was wondering if the kids go more for Carnival or RC? Plus Port Canaveral is also a shorter drive for the GA schools that are on break?? Love your thoughts.

The first weekend in March always seems to start the "prime" spring break cruising season. We went on the Ruby last year the week before and there were little to none kids/spring breakers. Getting off, that's all we could see lined up waiting to board.

The first weekend in March always seems to start the "prime" spring break cruising season. We went on the Ruby last year the week before and there were little to none kids/spring breakers. Getting off, that's all we could see lined up waiting to board.

I think being a 5 day cruise your chances of 500 plus kiddos are pretty good.

Hi Pam!!

You can call Princess and they'll tell you how many people under the age of 18 are booked as of now for that particular sailing. A lot of people won't book until the last minute though. That will only help you out with kids, not young drinking-aged adults. I would expect a lot of spring breakers of all ages.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I took my wife and two teenage daughters on a mid March spring break cruise last year out of Galveston on the Crown Princess. Our first cruise in a long time and first during spring break. I definitely didn't get a feeling that there were too many college students on this cruise - it was a 7 day cruise though. There were definitely some on the cruise but never saw anyone getting out of control or even visibly intoxicated.

We are doing another mid March spring break cruise on Princess from Houston this year as we really enjoyed the one last year.

Not all spring breakers spend all of their time looking for their next drink and a place to pass out afterwards. That being said at that time of the year some will most certainly be on your cruise. It won't however be anywhere near as many as Carnival or NCL which are typically cheaper than Princess and offer a more casual environment. I'm certain you would find college kids on a luxury line at this time of year. Not everyone in unniversity is a starving student.

You can call Princess and they'll tell you how many people under the age of 18 are booked as of now for that particular sailing. A lot of people won't book until the last minute though. That will only help you out with kids, not young drinking-aged adults. I would expect a lot of spring breakers of all ages.

"Spring Breakers" in March usually refers to college students. And most are over 18.

When addressing this issue, people must be mindful that Spring Breakers doesn't mean "kiddies". The "kiddies" mostly have breaks in February (President's Day week) and/or late March/April (Easter Week). Many prep schools and private schools follow more of a college schedule. But that is not an impactful volume of youths.

DH teaches at a community college. We have to schedule all of our cruises around his breaks. Our one spring break on a Princess ship wasn't bad. The one on a Carnival ship had some pretty rowdy kids--both high school age and college.

I am not worried about younger kids as they are usually with parents or in kids programs....it was the drinking college kids that overtook the RC we went on last March. We were able to find places to hang out but never went to the pool! Good point about the 7 day cruises...might be better than the 5 day ones.

Edited by LiseD

"Spring Breakers" in March usually refers to college students. And most are over 18.

When addressing this issue, people must be mindful that Spring Breakers doesn't mean "kiddies". The "kiddies" mostly have breaks in February (President's Day week) and/or late March/April (Easter Week). Many prep schools and private schools follow more of a college schedule. But that is not an impactful volume of youths.

I can only speak for Arizona, but our school systems mostly sync with the University calendars. Plus some of our districts do year round schedule and they have 2 weeks off for spring break.

We usually sail in March on 10 day cruises and have experienced family cruisers of all ages. I would expect to find many college students on the Ruby 5 day cruises in March because it falls into their budget range and convenient time frame.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We've sailed the eastern caribbean on Princess during March or April every year for the past 5 years and have never had a problem with spring breakers. The only time we ever had a problem with rowdy teenagers/young adults during spring break was on a Royal Caribbean cruise to the western caribbean back in 2006. Even then, they weren't behaving badly, there was just a lot of them and they were very loud.:)

The "kiddies" mostly have breaks in February (President's Day week) and/or late March/April (Easter Week). Many prep schools and private schools follow more of a college schedule. But that is not an impactful volume of youths.

This is not necessarily always true. Our school district, as well as others near by, have spring break March 8-16. Our relatives in MN also have break that same week.

This is not necessarily always true. Our school district, as well as others near by, have spring break March 8-16. Our relatives in MN also have break that same week.

I agree, we have cruised many times in March and have seen way more kids under 17 then college students.

As a Florida person, I can tell you the spring break is the first few weeks of March. My son is going with his Fraternity on Liberty of the seas the beginning of March. He tells me other Fraternities and sororities are also going. Not all on Liberty.

The 5 day cruises are the most popular with the college age, since it gives them a few days at home and a few days at sea. Both the parents and the college age are happy.

The first week in March is University of Florida break.

The second week is Florida State with many other FL schools on break the first 3 weeks... Florida resident cruise discounts also makes the 4 and 5 day cruises very popular for college age kids. I assume this age group is the wild bunch you want to avoid??!!

Knowing what I do, the first 3 weeks in March is the only time period I do not ever plan to cruise.

Edited by dasi11

Well I'm in college, and the Ruby is on my list of potential spring break cruises. The price is very affordable, and they're marketing it as both a 9-day and a 5-day.

My spring break is March 17-21 (including weekends, that's March 15-23). I think most schools have their spring break before ours, though.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

Well I'm in college, and the Ruby is on my list of potential spring break cruises. The price is very affordable, and they're marketing it as both a 9-day and a 5-day.

My spring break is March 17-21 (including weekends, that's March 15-23). I think most schools have their spring break before ours, though.

Hope you have a great time!!! Should be a blast.... wish I was young again!

It only took one time cruising in March for me to learn my lesson. I now never plan a cruise in March or April or at Holiday times or Alaska in June-July-Aug. I like kids, but sharing a beautiful ship and great itinerary with 500-800 or more kids is not my ideal vacation. They truly take over the ship/cruise. Families can have their time and I will just go other times.

Hi Victoria...are you at Clemson? I live about 45 min. from there...in the mountains of western NC. I love Clemson...great school and a great football team this year....watched every game as my best friend and her husband both went to school there and are hugh fans but don't get TV service at their house....so came to our house every week to watch the games! I have twins in college....one in TN and the other in Columbia...both at small schools.

We're sailing on the 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Emerald in April (Tuesday 4/8 thru Friday 4/18). My thinking (hope ;)) is that there won't be an excessive amount of young or college age kids simply because it's a longer cruise (almost 2 weeks from a school perspective) and Easter is on the 20th, therefore some school districts might be off that week.

I don't have any kids and I'm way past my college days. Does my logic seem sound or is it really just a crap shoot? I have no problem with kids on the cruise but I did see the "Brownie Riot" video on the Crown. :D:D

Of course it is not necessarily always true. Nothing is. But the heavy majority of school districts follow the calendar I outlined. There are always going to be exceptions. But I checked Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, Dallas and Chicago and then stopped bothering proving what I already know. None of those areas (or their surrounding areas) have public schools with a break in March. But every district can do what it wants. So there will be exceptions.

We're sailing on the 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Emerald in April (Tuesday 4/8 thru Friday 4/18). My thinking (hope ;)) is that there won't be an excessive amount of young or college age kids simply because it's a longer cruise (almost 2 weeks from a school perspective) and Easter is on the 20th, therefore some school districts might be off that week.

I don't have any kids and I'm way past my college days. Does my logic seem sound or is it really just a crap shoot? I have no problem with kids on the cruise but I did see the "Brownie Riot" video on the Crown. :D:D

Yes it does.:D Most Colleges and Universities are done with Spring breaks by April.