Four Day Coastal - Formal Night

Mr_Astro

We're booked on a four day to San Diego from Vancouver (Oct 5 - 9). There are two at sea days following Victoria.

Will there be a formal night and which night will it be? It's not likely to be the last sea day (arriving the next morning), but it could be the evening we leave Victoria (1:00pm) or the next day (at sea).

Does anyone have any experience in this itinerary?

Cruises less than 7 days duration do not have any formal nights
I think they might have if they're the tail end of a repositioning from FL.

We once got off in L.A. after a repo from FL, having had just 3 of the 4 formal nights that were scheduled, so I presumed the last one was on the last segment.

Edited by jtl513

It will likely be "formal optional" - something HAL began on the 4-day segment of our repositioning cruise in 2012. Not a good thing - so confusing for everyone.

On previous 4 and 5-day cruises we always had a formal night. We used to take them frequently at the end of the Alaska season.

I think they might have if they're the tail end of a repositioning from FL.

We once got off in L.A. after a repo from FL, having had just 3 of the 4 formal nights that were scheduled, so I presumed the last one was on the last segment.

Sorry, I read the OP wrong. I see he's starting in Vancouver, so he could get a formal night since its the first segment of a 36-day to South America. Most likely Oct 6, after the early departure from Victoria. Maybe a formal optional as startwin said. Edited by jtl513

Hard to predict as we don't know how many people will be doing the longer cruise -- 22 or 36 day cruise. Many people may or may not get on the Zaandam in Vancouver. Others may wait until the ship gets to San Diego.

So you really won't know until you print out your documents. And even then things could change once you get on the ship.

Thanks to everyone for offering guidance and comments. I'll be patient and wait for my travel doc's to discover when and if there will be a formal night.

Notwithstanding, it will be a fun few days.

You're right about that, a fun few days! We do this type of long cruise out of/into Vancouver and usually there is a Formal Night after/before Victoria. The ships seems to see this as the long cruise, not 4 days.