Would do Grandeur out of Baltimore or

Laurba99

Would you rather fly to FLL

To take a newer ship? after rewarding about the fire etc and that it was built in mid 90's not sure how appealing it will be if we do LOS six months before.. Plus doesn't appear to have five nights anymore out of Baltimore and 8 is too long.

To take a newer ship? after rewarding about the fire etc and that it was built in mid 90's not sure how appealing it will be if we do LOS six months before.. Plus doesn't appear to have five nights anymore out of Baltimore and 8 is too long.

Well, I love the Port of Baltimore. The staff there knows their stuff. Easy on, easy off. I love the relaxing sea days. We are only 35 - 40 minutes away. The Enchantment has left Baltimore and Grandeur has returned. Grandeur was out first cruise on RCCL. I have not been on her since her dry dock or after the fire. I will go to other Ports but the itinerary has to been fantastic. Try it - you'll like it.

I really like longer cruises (10-14 days). More time to relax and visit Ports.

Edited by Grandma Gail

I did it two times in December...

Port of Baltimore is the best currently, to my mind.

It is the only one which have Jamaican singers.. They are awesome. Just for them and Darryl, the activities manager, i will tell you to go on GOS.

However, when you go on a Freedom class, i agree that you can find a lack of activities (Flowrider, Mini Golf, ..). It depends in fact WHY you love cruising.

I wish celebrity would come back or a newer RCCI. I don't wish to take the other line there. Looks like if no five night ones are avail we may fly.. We'll see I have a year to figure this out

I love cruising out of Baltimore! It's a great port and a great city! Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you like longer cruises) you are right Baltimore doesn't really offer short getaways since it take 1 to 2 days to get anywhere (1 day of cruising to get to the Bahamas and 2 days to the caribbean). I know Baltimore offers shorter cruises to Bermuda in the summer 5 to 7 days I think. Also due to the bridges height we really don't get any of the newer/bigger ships. But that's ok, I've loved sailing on the Grandeur and Enchantment! It all depends on what works for you

Grandeur has 6 night cruises to Bermuda. You cannot get that itinerary from FL. :).

People choose their cruises for different reasons. All but one of my cruises was determined by itinerary. Only one (Carnival Pride--which was also the least favorite of all our cruises) was chosen for convenience/price. I love sailing out of Baltimore--it's close to my home, it's the easiest embarkation/debarkation we've ever experienced, and did I mention it's close to my home?

Here's what taking Grandeur out of Baltimore has going for it:

1. Great port to sail out of - this also offers opportunities to tour Balt/DC

2. Beautifully refurbished ship

3. Fabulous staff. Darryl, the AM, is reason enough to sail on Grandeur

4. Changing itineraries based on the weather.....FL/Bahamas, NE/Canada,

Caribbean, and the best itinerary--Bermuda!!

Negatives of sailing Grandeur:

1. If you miss the bigger ships with lots of bells 'n whistles, Grandeur won't

cut it for you.

2. Hummmm, can't think of any more negatives:o

We were on Grandeur this past July and will be on her again next July. The ship is completely updated with her recent refurbishment and is very nice in side. The fact that she was launched in 1996 does not reflect the ship she is inside today. There are several specialty restaurants on board including the Chef's Table, Chops, Giovanni's Table, Izumi, and Park Cafe in addition to the main dining room. It also features an outdoor poolside big screen as well as one of the few RCI aerial acts featured in the Centrum. The kids program is also recently enhanced with the "Royal Tots" program and would be on a par with the other RCI ships in the fleet.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We're going on Grandeur twice this year after having just cruised on Allure. We've also been on EX and FR which are much bigger. We've mixed in EN, too, also when it was in Baltimore. We're doing 10 night cruises and since we dont' have to travel far, it's less leave and soooooo easy. Baltimore is a very easy port to get to and get into and we live about one hour away so same day travel. It's about cruising, not about the size of the ship.

Edited by BND

I love GR and will be sorry to move to San Antonio later this year and will lose the easy access to her. we sailed her about 2-3 cruises after the fire refurbishment and she was perfectly fine with a tight knit crew.. more like family than usual.

look at the 6 nighters. they should run to Bermuda with an overnight.

Even the longer itineraries would be ok with most work/leave schedules. For example. We are going on a 10 day cruise March 8. That is a Sat and the cruise returns March 18 [a Tues]. We will carry our bags off because it is so easy at Baltimore and I can get on with the day. Self disembark is usually ~7:30 am. A person could work 1/2 day Tuesday from many east coast locals. [6+ days leave for a 10 day vacation] It is W Caribbean itinerary--very nice.

Yes good point.

Anyone know what kids club is like

On grandeur?

We used the kids club - our son was almost 4. It is small, but on our cruise, there were maybe less than 20 kids under 10, so the facilities were more than adequate, and there seemed to be plenty of councilors and all seemed great. I posted a review in this forum if you look. Depending on the age of your kids, it might be fine. But then again, if you have been spoiling them with Liberty..;)..it might be pale by comparison. Then again, you are in Bermuda, so plenty to do there - so how much time will you be spending on the ship.

We are a bit jaded as Grandeur was our first cruise ever, so loved her. As others have stated, it is so convenient to drive to the port. We loved disembarking and being home to our animals in two hours...

The money we save on the airline tickets to Florida is used to upgrade our GOS experience from Baltimore.;)

We always fly in the day before - so flying for a 5-night would take 6 or 7 days anyway.

We love the convenience of Port of Baltimore. We would have to drive to Baltimore to fly somewhere; so driving to Baltimore and getting on the Grandeur is our preference.

Good thing there's so many choices out there -

It's your choice but here is the way I see it: What the smaller ships lack in amusements they make up for with personality and convince. GR is like new after the extensive refurb and all that stuff about the fire is just history. Think of if as lessons learned and no trace remains.

Smaller is a relative term, GR is larger than a WW II aircraft carrier!

Whatever you do RCI is the right choice. Enjoy :)

PS. We love all the sizes of the ships regardless of age for different reasons.

Edited by petel

I am feeling

Convinced that GOS does have a nice feel. Sort of reminds me of how I would describe our 4nt on century but that was without child. Since my son will be so wowed I'm sure by liberty his expectations may be higher after Nov. I am open depending on the date of the six nights. If we got back on thur morning I might be more interested as easier to leave on a Friday afternoon and be home by late morning Thursday.

I am feeling

Convinced that GOS does have a nice feel. Sort of reminds me of how I would describe our 4nt on century but that was without child. Since my son will be so wowed I'm sure by liberty his expectations may be higher after Nov. I am open depending on the date of the six nights. If we got back on thur morning I might be more interested as easier to leave on a Friday afternoon and be home by late morning Thursday.

On our 6 night cruise, we left on Friday and returned on Thursday morning. We sailed at the end of Sept.

I live 30 minutes from Baltimore but would rather fly somewhere else. I've looked at the itineraries from Baltimore over and over and over and in the end there just is nothing appealing or advantageous about sailing outta baltimore.