Packing a carry on for an international flight

lesley_willis1971

This will be mine and my mothers first international flight. We are flying from DFW to Rome (1 layover at Newark-5 hrs). On the way back a layover at Frankfurt, Germany (17 hrs). Just thought I'd get some ideas/suggestions on what YOU take in your carry on. I know the typical "what to pack" in my suitcase. So now I'm working on the carry on list....Any suggestions??

For me, it's no different than a domestic flight.......my biggest concerns are the length of the flight and the length of the layover, not the destination. So, I pack my electronics (including my camera), my wallet, my medication, a book, and of course my tickets and passport.

Enjoy your trip

Edited by calliopecruiser

My carryon includes all of the above, but with a further consideration. Look at what the airline rules specifically declaim responsibility for. Money, jewelry, electronics and the like. If I'm taking any of that, it goes in the carryon. Ditto with fragile items like eyeglasses. For longer trips, I add a kippie with toothpaste/brush, razor/cream and some kind of hand lotion. All in sizes under 100ml.

One big thing to remember is that many foreign carriers have MUCH stricter restrictions on size and weight of carryons. Some to the point of almost not allowing much more than the weight of the bag itself. And dimensions are smaller as well. Check with your OPERATING carrier (not just the marketing carrier which is the flight number) and read the rules posted on their website. Whether they enforce that or not is a separate issue, with various airlines being anywhere from liberal to draconian.

Since you have a long connection in FRA, are you planning on a change of clothes at that point? Make sure that fits within the carrier limits.

I'll echo every one else and their carry on stuff. I do have my iPad Mini and my Bose QC-15 headphones all the time with me, too. They are flight necessities for me. Definitely check your airlines' carryon restrictions - use the MOST restrictive for your calculations. Going through Frankfurt - are you using Lufthansa at all? They have a weight restriction that they do check with regularity.

For that layover in Frankfurt, check out a day use rate at the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton, right in the airport complex. They have a spa, too…

In addition to what others have suggested, the only thing I'd add is to think about what 'creature comforts' you might want on a longer flight & for the overnight on the outbound. Some people like to change into more comfortable clothes to sleep on the plane, some prefer a neck pillow over what you might get from the airline. If you're in First/Business class you may get a nicer blanket & pillow and an amenity kit with some items you might otherwise include in your carry on (toothbrush/paste, eye shades, ear plugs, lotion, pajamas, etc.). Some may even offer similar items in coach. Check your airline's website and/or search on Google (i.e. Delta Business Elite amenity kit) to see what applies.

As said, study the carry-on rules for your carrier. For some that are strict about it, you may not have the option for paying a penalty for an overweight bag as you can often do on a heavy checked bag...you simply won't be allowed to carry it on.

I carry on exclusively, but if I were checking my main bag and only worried about a carry on, I would pack a change of clothing, including underwear, a sweater, my camera and iPad, a pair of socks, hand cream, facial cleanser wipes, face cream, toothbrush and paste, emery board, passport, money, jewelry, credit cards, all documents related to travel, make up bag, neck pillow, headphones, reading material other than the iPad, cell phone, chargers.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

As stated above you must carry on items (especially medicines) that you can't live without. On critical items, I carry on a double amount such as with hearing aid batteries. I carry on two of the packs of 10 which weight next to nothing.

I never, ever put items that I can't live without or items of major value in my checked luggage.

I carry on a complete change of underwear and a clean blouse. Learned the hard lesson about having a clean blouse when I spilled tea on the blouse I was wearing and had no spare.

I carry on a packet of dry skin facial wipes so I can tidy up on long flights. Helps me feel better.

My carry on bag fully packed and my purse weigh less than 17 pounds. When I have to I can put my purse into my carry on bag (some airlines only allow you ONE item which can be your purse OR your carry on bag.

I carry on my own eye shades.

As our friend Mr FlyerTalker says about foreign carriers, I do know that Icelandair (for one) does not let you bring a second carryon. I had to stuff my medicine kit into my carryon.

After an unfortunate incident at Venice I advise to never ever put your passports in a carryon. Please get one of the around-the-neck wallets to avoid a train ride to Milano for a replacement passport.

Steve

Harder to access, but isn't that the point?

Not if you've got to be getting it out to show people (ticketing agent, gate agent, immigration, going through the scanner) during my journey through the airport on an international trip.

YMMV.

I echo the caution to check the restrictions of all the airlines you will be flying - some European carriers are very restrictive with carry-on baggage size and weight, some limiting it to even 5 or 6 kilos (11-13 pounds).

Edited by calliopecruiser
grammar

I pack the obvious items like wallet, passport, hotel confirmations etc. I also make sure my glasses and sunglasses are with me, any Rx meds, and that I have my phone and ipad, AND chargers for both as well as an electrical adapter, so they can be plugged in in case I get stuck overnight in my connecting city or my checked bag is delayed. I also make sure I have a pen with me for immigration forms and newspaper word/number puzzles, tissues, and a pill box or ziploc with a couple of Advil, a Claritin and a Tums tablet, just in case.

For long (international) flights, I take noise reducing headphones, a neck pillow, and fuzzy socks. I also take items to freshen up upon arrival, including a toothbrush and toothpaste, an individually wrapped single-use face cleansing cloth, moisturizer and lip balm, a change of underwear and t-shirt/tank, and a hairbrush and hair tie. I usually also throw in 2-3 of my most basic make up items as well, so I can feel halfway presentable after washing my face and freshening up. (concealer stick, powder compact, eyeliner) This also helps if, as mentioned above, I get stuck overnight or my bag is delayed.

Lastly, I pack a granola bar or some trail mix in case the in flight meal is really horrible or I sleep through it, and once through security a get a big bottle water to keep with me during the flight. And if my destination (or connection city) is going to be chillier than where I departed from, I dress in layers and/or put a jacket or heavier top layer in my carry on.

Excellent point about having a pen with you. I don't think about this, as I am ALWAYS with a "writing instrument". (Maybe it goes back to my single days when I never wanted to miss out on a "hot phone number"). Anyhow, I see SO many people scrounging for a pen when it comes time to fill out an immigration or customs form. Also, put your passport info (number, issue/end dates, issuing office) on a slip of paper, so you can fill out the form without digging for the actual passport.

Personally, I suggest a pen with a pull-off cap. I've had the misfortune of falling asleep, rolling over and accidentally "clicking" the pen. After a number of hours in contact with my clothing fabric, I had a nice permanent stain at the start of my trip. Or keep it in the outside pocket of your carry-on so you have easy access.

FlyerTalker, hairspray will remove ink, as long as it's regular ballpoint and not a Sharpie. Soak the garment I. Hairspray. Keep applying until the ink spot fades away. (Old waitress tip)

Maybe my response is off base but I'm wondering if you have a "stop" rather than a layover? 17 hrs sounds like you land in Frankfurt on one day and fly out the next to DFW.

I took a quick look at flights and saw most to DFW leave before noon which would mean for a 17 hr layover you most likely have to fly in the previous afternoon.

Others on the board can comment but I'm wondering with an overnight layover if you can even leave your bags at the airport?

Regardless, if you are in fact flying in the day before, take you luggage and enjoy the evening in Frankfurt.

Excellent point about having a pen with you. I don't think about this, as I am ALWAYS with a "writing instrument". (Maybe it goes back to my single days when I never wanted to miss out on a "hot phone number"). Anyhow, I see SO many people scrounging for a pen when it comes time to fill out an immigration or customs form. Also, put your passport info (number, issue/end dates, issuing office) on a slip of paper, so you can fill out the form without digging for the actual passport.

They didn't find the pen in their amenity kit?

;)

FlyerTalker, hairspray will remove ink, as long as it's regular ballpoint and not a Sharpie. Soak the garment I. Hairspray. Keep applying until the ink spot fades away. (Old waitress tip)

Wow, that's a cool thing to learn; thanks.

Maybe my response is off base but I'm wondering if you have a "stop" rather than a layover? 17 hrs sounds like you land in Frankfurt on one day and fly out the next to DFW.

I took a quick look at flights and saw most to DFW leave before noon which would mean for a 17 hr layover you most likely have to fly in the previous afternoon.

Others on the board can comment but I'm wondering with an overnight layover if you can even leave your bags at the airport?

Regardless, if you are in fact flying in the day before, take you luggage and enjoy the evening in Frankfurt.

On DL, I believe anything less than 23 hours is a layover, even if it is overnight. I had that a few times on my flights back to the US that took me via CDG… It was not designated a stop - DL gave me that itinerary.

Check the on line site for the airline you'll be flying on for specific carry-on info. We've never had an issue domestic, they never weighed carry-on's. But in September we flew to Europe they weighed our carry-on and I think it had to be below 9 Kilos. I don't remember the exact weight. If it is over, you had to check it. However, coming home (same airline) they didn't weigh it. We travel to Europe at least once, sometimes two or more times a yr and this past Sept is the first time I remember them weighing carry-on. We were on Turkish Air.

Edited by marco

You've received lots of good information on what to pack but you should also take how you pack into consideration. For example, your handbag may have to be put into your carry on. And there are items you will definately need to have access to in the airport, such as your passport, credit cards, cash, travel documents. I've learned the hard way to make sure they are easily accessible and not down in the bottom of the bag.

On DL, I believe anything less than 23 hours is a layover, even if it is overnight. I had that a few times on my flights back to the US that took me via CDG… It was not designated a stop - DL gave me that itinerary.

The OP is connecting through Newark so my guess would be that they are on United, not Delta.

The OP is connecting through Newark so my guess would be that they are on United, not Delta.

If you are carrying a CPAP it is only allowed as a free item in the US due to the Americans with Disablities Act. It differs in other countries.

I use ziplock bags to pack smaller items into --makes it much easier when you dip into the luggage to find something. I have one larger ziplock that is my "need on the flight" bag that I grab and put into the pocket in front of my seat.

Best advice is to very carefully read the requirements for each airline and follow it.