Airfare to Alaska from Midwest

sjmbruce

I'm probably going to overshare here, but I am nervous about flight times & cost.

We need to fly from Detroit to Vancouver. Then from Anchorage back to Detroit.

The flight I am considering leaves Detroit at 7:30am and gets to Vancouver at 2:50pm. Not a lot of time that night in Vancouver as I had hoped, but I can deal with it.

The return flight leaves Anchorage at 11:45pm and gets into Detroit at 2:45p the next day. I was already prepared for that and am actually grateful for the day in Anhcorage.

This flight is $634 per person. Good deal? Good decision? I'm so nervous!

Can't tell for sure without knowing the exact dates. But doesn't seem outlandish.

First leg is May 16th, second leg is May 24th.

I didn't think the price was too bad....and I feel like if I wait just to get some more time in Vancouver on the 16th, I'll pay for it dearly.

I've just never flown to Alaska (or really the West Coast) before. I know exactly how much to pay for a flight to Florida, but am clueless about this one.

I'd say good. We are flying the same in Aug but have additional leg from/to Marquette. Booked when I found for $800 (first pricing I saw was $1200).

When are you going? We are going on Island Princess.

We're going May 17th on the Coral Princess. I am so excited (and nervous)!

I'm sure you will have a great time. I did mock booking for airfare to see what a day or two did to prices. We are not flying "red eye" on this trip on return. Leaving anchorage 6am arrive home @ 8:45pm. Last summer flew from Honolulu home on red eye. From San Francisco paid the extra for more leg room and seats reclining farther. Was easier to catch some sleep.

I feel like if I wait just to get some more time in Vancouver on the 16th, I'll pay for it dearly.

And what do you mean by that? Are you saying that there is a flight that arrives earlier but costs more? And that you wonder if the price will go down? How would you get "more time"?

Fare reduction is highly unlikely. If you find significantly different prices for different flights on the same airline, it's because the higher priced one has had greater demand and sold out any lower buckets. Unlikely that the airline will reload more seats into those lower fare buckets.

And what do you mean by that? Are you saying that there is a flight that arrives earlier but costs more? And that you wonder if the price will go down? How would you get "more time"?

Fare reduction is highly unlikely. If you find significantly different prices for different flights on the same airline, it's because the higher priced one has had greater demand and sold out any lower buckets. Unlikely that the airline will reload more seats into those lower fare buckets.

Yes, I had hoped for an earlier arrival at a cheaper price to gain more time in Vancouver. But I don't think that will happen....I'd end up paying more with no guarantee of a flight with an earlier arrival.

I'm probably going to overshare here, but I am nervous about flight times & cost.

We need to fly from Detroit to Vancouver. Then from Anchorage back to Detroit.

The flight I am considering leaves Detroit at 7:30am and gets to Vancouver at 2:50pm. Not a lot of time that night in Vancouver as I had hoped, but I can deal with it.

The return flight leaves Anchorage at 11:45pm and gets into Detroit at 2:45p the next day. I was already prepared for that and am actually grateful for the day in Anhcorage.

This flight is $634 per person. Good deal? Good decision? I'm so nervous!

I have been looking into flights in Aug/Sept. out of DTW to SEA and Vancover back to DTW. Pricing has been around $800 per. We may have to wait on our Alaska cruise. Southwest doesnt book that far out and they are usually cheaper. I just got FNT to TPA for under $450 rt for 2. Thats less than what we paid 2 yrs ago out of DTW .

I have been looking into flights in Aug/Sept. out of DTW to SEA and Vancover back to DTW. Pricing has been around $800 per. We may have to wait on our Alaska cruise. Southwest doesnt book that far out and they are usually cheaper. I just got FNT to TPA for under $450 rt for 2. Thats less than what we paid 2 yrs ago out of DTW .
Of course, if you wait for Southwest to open up fares from YVR to DTW, you are going to wait a LONG time. They don't service Vancouver.

Also, you don't always get the best pricing by waiting for Southwest, unless you are some of the VERY first to book when flights are released. Southwest prices based on current pricing, which means you can often get better pricing by buying earlier from other carriers. Waiting for Southwest can often have the same result as waiting for Godot.

I found that we can fly into Seattle on Southwest for a lot less plus no luggage fees (from STL, but Detroit is probably similar) then take Amtrak to Vancouver. I understand it's a beautiful trip. With air, rail, plus hotel in SEA it's still less than direct to Vancouver. We're also doing a night in Vancouver to be safe. But it sounds like a fun journey.

I purchased my tickets to Seattle for our Alaska cruise months ago on United . I paid $180 R/T from SFO. Just out of curiousity I looked at Southwest's fares , same dates , same route , similar departure and arrival times. $420 R/T. Sure glad I didn't wait for Southwest to release their fares to buy.

I purchased my tickets to Seattle for our Alaska cruise months ago on United . I paid $180 R/T from SFO. Just out of curiousity I looked at Southwest's fares , same dates , same route , similar departure and arrival times. $420 R/T. Sure glad I didn't wait for Southwest to release their fares to buy.

This again illustrates the point made many times on this board, that while Southwest might have the lowest fares on the date of release, because they price accordingly, the legacy airlines have probably already sold out their cheapest fares, and Southwest isn't always the cheapest.

I found that we can fly into Seattle on Southwest for a lot less plus no luggage fees (from STL, but Detroit is probably similar) then take Amtrak to Vancouver. I understand it's a beautiful trip. With air, rail, plus hotel in SEA it's still less than direct to Vancouver. We're also doing a night in Vancouver to be safe. But it sounds like a fun journey.

You may also want to search for fairs to Bellingham Airport. It is located on the US side, between Seattle and Vancouver. Much smaller airport, however sometimes it has cheaper flights. You should check the timing of Quick Shuttle bus service to Vancouver vrs your flight times. I believe with Quick Shuttle you do have to book ahead of time.

Edited by em-sk

I know SW doesnt fly to/from Vancover but out of fnt or dtw SW is usually less. I didnt think about a train/ motor coach from seattle to vancover. We have yet to find a cruise that will work for us. Air fair is also a concern as we dont want to pay almost as much for that as a cruise.

I know SW doesnt fly to/from Vancover but out of fnt or dtw SW is usually less. I didnt think about a train/ motor coach from seattle to vancover. We have yet to find a cruise that will work for us. Air fair is also a concern as we dont want to pay almost as much for that as a cruise.

Well, cruises and flights are two completely different sets of economics, so saying that you don't want to pay as much for air as for the cruise, you may be in for a disappointment. I say may...but we read about it all the time on this board.