No smoking on balconys?

I smoke and now I have to leave my comfortable cabin and balcony to go smoke a ecig. Now the new complaint will be that people are walking around the ship in pajamas and nightgowns to go smoke? Can someone say Pajama party? And the funky cheap perfume has to go. The next new rule.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

[quote name='lovetocruiserccl']I smoke and now I have to leave my comfortable cabin and balcony to go smoke a ecig. Now the new complaint will be that people are walking around the ship in pajamas and nightgowns to go smoke? Can someone say Pajama party? And the funky cheap perfume has to go. The next new rule.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Carnival draws the most smokers,dippers ,and chewers. You can smoke on the balcony flip your ashes over the side or spit over the balcony your choice .:eek:

I have smoked for 25 years. Always considered it my God given right to do what I wanted with my body. That included always getting a balcony so I could smoke, paying 500 dollars a year to be a member of the Admirals Club with AA just so I could smoke when I flew once or twice a year, and so on.
I have not smoked for 3 days now. And I am pretty sure I will win this fight. To be honest my children are the biggest reason for the sudden change of heart, my health being number 2, and this thread has really played a big part in my decision to become a non smoker. May sound stupid to you but I guess I tended to not think about it but when you read something like this thread every day it is hard to ignore. I would become so mad at peoples view of smokers I would log off and tell myself I am done with CC. Ten minutes later I would be back on seeing what the next smoke hater was saying. I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone who smokes knows how bad it is, but that is not enough reason for many to stop. It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. So in the end the very least this thread has done is play a part in my decision to become smoke free.

[quote name='warbar'] So in the end the very least this thread has done is play a part in my decision to become smoke free.[/quote]

I strongly commend you for making this decision. It takes IRON will and determination. It is not easy. I smoked for 15 years, and now am just one month short of being 1 year smoke free. Best of luck on your challenge, you can do it!

If you have an iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet, etc., there are a lot of free apps that monitor how long you stay quit. Mine tallies us days, cigarettes NOT smoked, how much $$$ I have NOT spent, and offers rough guides to improved health as related to time not smoking. It is a great motivator to look and realize after 11 months I basically can pay for another cruise! The app i use is called Cessation Nation; it is 100% free. One very useful and cathartic thing I did was make a serious deep clean of my car (windows MULTIPLE times, headliner, shampooed seats and carpets, got a spray that goes into and cleans gook out of the vents). If you smoke in your car treat yourself to this sort of deep, to the bone, cleaning. It will make a huge difference in changing your environment. I never smoked in the home, but if I did I would do a similar cleaning. It's a motivator to stay clean.

Again, best of luck and stay focused. Edited by LMaxwell

@relic937 Lol.....it was a joke. I would never do that I have more class and I follow the rules. But that will be the next problem. Oh by the way I choose to cruise on Royal. I guess I'm loyal. Smoking or not.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app Edited by lovetocruiserccl

[quote name='warbar']I have smoked for 25 years. Always considered it my God given right to do what I wanted with my body. That included always getting a balcony so I could smoke, paying 500 dollars a year to be a member of the Admirals Club with AA just so I could smoke when I flew once or twice a year, and so on.
I have not smoked for 3 days now. And I am pretty sure I will win this fight. To be honest my children are the biggest reason for the sudden change of heart, my health being number 2, and this thread has really played a big part in my decision to become a non smoker. May sound stupid to you but I guess I tended to not think about it but when you read something like this thread every day it is hard to ignore. I would become so mad at peoples view of smokers I would log off and tell myself I am done with CC. Ten minutes later I would be back on seeing what the next smoke hater was saying. I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone who smokes knows how bad it is, but that is not enough reason for many to stop. It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. So in the end the very least this thread has done is play a part in my decision to become smoke free.[/QUOTE]

Way to go warbar!! You can do it!!

[quote name='LMaxwell']I strongly commend you for making this decision. It takes IRON will and determination. It is not easy. I smoked for 15 years, and now am just one month short of being 1 year smoke free. Best of luck on your challenge, you can do it!

If you have an iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet, etc., there are a lot of free apps that monitor how long you stay quit. Mine tallies us days, cigarettes NOT smoked, how much $$$ I have NOT spent, and offers rough guides to improved health as related to time not smoking. It is a great motivator to look and realize after 11 months I basically can pay for another cruise! The app i use is called Cessation Nation; it is 100% free. One very useful and cathartic thing I did was make a serious deep clean of my car (windows MULTIPLE times, headliner, shampooed seats and carpets, got a spray that goes into and cleans gook out of the vents). If you smoke in your car treat yourself to this sort of deep, to the bone, cleaning. It will make a huge difference in changing your environment. I never smoked in the home, but if I did I would do a similar cleaning. It's a motivator to stay clean.

Again, best of luck and stay focused.[/QUOTE]

WOW! This is the best and most useful info I've seen around here in a long time. I love apps and am glad I don't need this one. But it almost makes it sound fun to be a quitter. Keep it up. You are a winner! in many ways.

Gina

[quote name='lovetocruiserccl']Warbar good for you. Thanks for the motivation and information. Wishing you the best. I'm still trying.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app[/quote]

First of all thank you everyone.
Second I got one of those vapor thingamagigs. I know I am still putting chemicals into my body, but after 3 days I can already tell a difference in my breathing. As far as detailing my truck to get the smoke residue out I am waiting a bit as of now I still don't notice the smoke smell. I hope the day comes quick when the smell of smoke disgust me.

[quote name='warbar']First of all thank you everyone.
Second I got one of those vapor thingamagigs. I know I am still putting chemicals into my body, but after 3 days I can already tell a difference in my breathing. As far as detailing my truck to get the smoke residue out I am waiting a bit as of now I still don't notice the smoke smell. I hope the day comes quick when the smell of smoke disgust me.[/QUOTE]

Good luck!! Your kids and grandkids are SO worth being there for!!

[quote name='mommabean']WOW! This is the best and most useful info I've seen around here in a long time. I love apps and am glad I don't need this one. But it almost makes it sound fun to be a quitter. Keep it up. You are a winner! in many ways.

Gina[/quote]

Just downloaded it thank you.

[quote name='warbar']First of all thank you everyone.
Second I got one of those vapor thingamagigs. I know I am still putting chemicals into my body, but after 3 days I can already tell a difference in my breathing. As far as detailing my truck to get the smoke residue out I am waiting a bit as of now I still don't notice the smoke smell. I hope the day comes quick when the smell of smoke disgust me.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! Now put the money you would have spent daily on cigarettes in an envelope. You'll be surprised at the amount you've saved over a years time that now can be applied toward your next Cruise.

[quote name='mommabean']Part of the reason I book a balcony is to enjoy the fresh sea air. That aside, part of the reason I book a room is for my own space. I walked into my own stateroom on Oasis of the Seas on Thursday to smell cigarette smoke. My husband had been out on our balcony and the people 3 rooms forward were smoking on the balcony and it drifted into our room when our balcony door was open. So much for my own space. And so much for passengers abiding by smoking rules.

Gina[/QUOTE]

We just got home from 4 B2B cruises on IOS and smokers were still out there smoking on the balconies either beside or around us on all 4 cruises. Even a woman with an e-cig hanging from her neck at Muster took a puff.
There is still no signage on the balconies to notify them, if they did not know already. Very little notification so far on IOS.
Great ship and crew though!!!:)

[quote name='CVU']We just got home from 4 B2B cruises on IOS and smokers were still out there smoking on the balconies either beside or around us on all 4 cruises. Even a woman with an e-cig hanging from her neck at Muster took a puff.
There is still no signage on the balconies to notify them, if they did not know already. Very little notification so far on IOS.
Great ship and crew though!!!:)[/QUOTE]

Everyone on Oasis gets information in their room informing them of the new smoking policy. It's ignored by some.

I call the e-cigs - "adult pacifiers". It has something to do with the puffing technique I've seen. :)

Gina

[quote name='warbar']I have smoked for 25 years. Always considered it my God given right to do what I wanted with my body. That included always getting a balcony so I could smoke, paying 500 dollars a year to be a member of the Admirals Club with AA just so I could smoke when I flew once or twice a year, and so on.
I have not smoked for 3 days now. And I am pretty sure I will win this fight. To be honest my children are the biggest reason for the sudden change of heart, my health being number 2, and this thread has really played a big part in my decision to become a non smoker. May sound stupid to you but I guess I tended to not think about it but when you read something like this thread every day it is hard to ignore. I would become so mad at peoples view of smokers I would log off and tell myself I am done with CC. Ten minutes later I would be back on seeing what the next smoke hater was saying. I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone who smokes knows how bad it is, but that is not enough reason for many to stop. It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. So in the end the very least this thread has done is play a part in my decision to become smoke free.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. In know how hard it can be. I have now been 14 months and like you I did it for my kids. Don't look back. Every day will get a little easier and before you know it you'll be home free. I quit cold turkey on the start of our cruise 2 Christmases ago and then used the e cig for about a month once I got home and found that that really helped.

Again, congrats!

[quote name='mommabean']Everyone on Oasis gets information in their room informing them of the new smoking policy. It's ignored by some.

I call the e-cigs - "adult pacifiers". It has something to do with the puffing technique I've seen. :)

Gina[/QUOTE]

LOL, I guess you could call it an adult pacifier. Actually its the hand to mouth action of a cigarette for us hard core addicts, plus the feel of inhaling them.

I have a lanyard for mine. Putting them in my backpocket was too costly with cracking some of them and having a nice little wet spot, plus the expenses of replacing it. I do tuck it in my shirt when I'm in an area I know I shouldn't be doing it.

[quote name='sammee']LOL, I guess you could call it an adult pacifier. Actually its the hand to mouth action of a cigarette for us hard core addicts, plus the feel of inhaling them.

I have a lanyard for mine. Putting them in my backpocket was too costly with cracking some of them and having a nice little wet spot, plus the expenses of replacing it. I do tuck it in my shirt when I'm in an area I know I shouldn't be doing it.[/QUOTE]

:)

So why isn't the hand to mouth action the same? I see people hold them up with 4 fingers over the top, thumb under, and lean their head forward taking a quick suck. Sort of like leaning over and drinking from a straw. If they held it between their pointer and middle finger like a cigarette, it wouldn't have that pacifier appearance. The string around the neck could add to it.

I can see it having a useful purpose if people are really committed to quitting and using this as a device to cut back. I don't understand the funny inhalation technique.

Gina Edited by mommabean

You can do it. I did. I had a heart attack at 53 and quit cold turkey after 38 years of smoking. It has been 7 months and I feel great. It is the best thing I have done for me and my family. It won't be long before just about everything is smoke free. Good luck!

You can do it. I quit smoking after 38 years. I had a heart attack in June and quit cold turkey and have never looked back. It has been over 7 months now
and it is wonderful. Everything is becoming non smoking now so we need to get prepared.

[quote name='mommabean']:)

So why isn't the hand to mouth action the same? I see people hold them up with 4 fingers over the top, thumb under, and lean their head forward taking a quick suck. Sort of like leaning over and drinking from a straw. If they held it between their pointer and middle finger like a cigarette, it wouldn't have that pacifier appearance. The string around the neck could add to it.

I can see it having a useful purpose if people are really committed to quitting and using this as a device to cut back. I don't understand the funny inhalation technique.

Gina[/QUOTE]

Wow you are really observant (in a good way). I just had to stop and think about that, it didn't even occur to me. I just went to use mine and you are right. I can't speak for everybody, but my pointing finger goes on the top because of the button to power it up. In my case it's the battery. It's thicker than a cigarette and heavier. So I guess its a bit of a tradeoff. I'm at the point if I had to hold it with my fist, I probably would. I'm 3 months in from quitting cigs after smoking for over 35 years. I was one of the hardcore addicts. This is my only hope after several failed attempts. I'm treating it slowly like the patch, started at 24 mgs of nic., than 18, I'm weaning down to 12 as of today. I guess I'm going to have to figure out a new habit before I make it to 0.

[quote name='sammee']Wow you are really observant (in a good way). I just had to stop and think about that, it didn't even occur to me. I just went to use mine and you are right. I can't speak for everybody, but my pointing finger goes on the top because of the button to power it up. In my case it's the battery. It's thicker than a cigarette and heavier. So I guess its a bit of a tradeoff. I'm at the point if I had to hold it with my fist, I probably would. I'm 3 months in from quitting cigs after smoking for over 35 years. I was one of the hardcore addicts. This is my only hope after several failed attempts. I'm treating it slowly like the patch, started at 24 mgs of nic., than 18, I'm weaning down to 12 as of today. I guess I'm going to have to figure out a new habit before I make it to 0.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm not at all familiar with them and never thought of a power button. And never having held one, the weight sounds like a good reason for the way it's held. You sound like you are doing well working your way down and off of it. You could always try some tasty chewing gum or lifesavers like they did in the good old days. Or tic tacs. :) Just don't use fingernails or food. ;)

Gina

[quote name='mommabean']I guess I'm not at all familiar with them and never thought of a power button. And never having held one, the weight sounds like a good reason for the way it's held. You sound like you are doing well working your way down and off of it. You could always try some tasty chewing gum or lifesavers like they did in the good old days. Or tic tacs. :) Just don't use fingernails or food. ;)

Gina[/QUOTE]

For me it was definitely the weight. Had a totally different feel than a real cigarette. The physical addiction to the nicotine is over relatively quickly. It was the mental addiction that us the most difficult to break. For me it was having a coffee. Needed a smoke to go with the coffee so the e cig was a great substitute.

[quote name='mommabean']I guess I'm not at all familiar with them and never thought of a power button. And never having held one, the weight sounds like a good reason for the way it's held. You sound like you are doing well working your way down and off of it. You could always try some tasty chewing gum or lifesavers like they did in the good old days. Or tic tacs. :) Just don't use fingernails or food. ;)

Gina[/QUOTE]

Great suggestions, can't chew gum, and I don't bite my nails, but I pick at them, lol. Food won't be a problem, been having problems eating lately. Hmm, maybe a year round cruise with lots of frozen drinks, that could do it.