No Name Change on Passport ??

Ashland

Our married daughter still has a valid (2020) passport in her maiden name (and yes it's too late to just do a name change it's been almost 2 yrs.). My understanding is she will need to have her marriage license with her in addition to....Does it need to be a certified one from the state (Calif) which she has or can she just take a photocopy with her and not take the original :confused:

It's not too late to to change her name on the passport...it's just too late to change it at no charge. She can always apply for a new passport in her married name.

If she chooses not to get a passport in her new name, she should book her cruise in the name on her current passport.

Edited by njhorseman

She should book the cruise with the name on her passport.

These days no one cares if Miss Jane Doe is traveling with Mr John Smith.

She would also need to book her flights using her maiden name if she doesn't change her passport. Those have to match I think. :confused:

Cole

She would also need to book her flights using her maiden name if she doesn't change her passport. Those have to match I think. :confused:

Cole

Flying international, yes. But within the US she could use her married name DL.

If she is planning on using the passport she needs to use the name that it is on it or do a renewal on her passport before leaving. I need to get that done myself. You can only get a "free" name change if your passport was less than 1 year old when you do it... I was just a few days over on mine before I got married.

As long as her travel bookings match her travel ID, she's good to go.

As mentioned before, nobody officially cares anymore, in fact in some places it is unusual for the women to take on the husbands last name.

Some more details I'm sorry to have not included :o

Passport in maiden name (exp 2020)

Marriage certificate in married name

Calif DL in married name

Flight booked in married name LAX-YVR

RCI C&A Society D level status in married name

Cruise booked in married name

Our travel plans are flight from LAX-YVR

Northbound Alaska cruise YVR- Anchorage via Seward

Return flight ANC-LAX booked in married name

Just thought we might be able to save that passport fee and use her marriage license in conjunction with since there's so much time left before it (passport) actually expires...In addition she and her husband are traveling with their 17 month old son (our grandson) and we have to get a first time passport for him (child)..

But if you all think this could possible cause any trouble just using her marriage license..we'll just bite the ($) bullet and apply for her a new passport in her married name.

Appreciate all your thoughts on this...Thanks so much.

Edited by Ashland

If it were not for the Canadian flight, she would have been fine traveling with her BC, marriage certificate and DL. Since she is flying into Vancouver, she will need a passport, they will not accept the old passport and marriage certificate together. She will need a passport that matches the reservation name.

Not quite the same situation, but I was told by the airline that I had to change my passport to my married name when I flew to Europe last summer. Originally I was just going to book the flight in my maiden name but they told me that I would need to have another form of ID (not sure why) and my driver's license already had my married name on it. Even though I had 5 years left on my passport, I just bit the bullet and paid the extra money for a new passport (and it really is a rip off). At least I don't have to deal with the headaches every time I fly/cruise anymore.

Not quite the same situation, but I was told by the airline that I had to change my passport to my married name when I flew to Europe last summer. Originally I was just going to book the flight in my maiden name but they told me that I would need to have another form of ID (not sure why) and my driver's license already had my married name on it. Even though I had 5 years left on my passport, I just bit the bullet and paid the extra money for a new passport (and it really is a rip off). At least I don't have to deal with the headaches every time I fly/cruise anymore.

Of course after you made your journey you undoubtedly realized you didn't need another form of ID as you were never asked for a second ID. The airline customer service personnel are every bit as poorly trained as cruise line personnel...you absolutely can't rely on what they tell you. You got bad advice, but as you said at least by getting a new passport you won't have to worry about it in the future.

"Rip Off"...for just a name change...I agree..with at least 1/2 of the issued years left on a valid passport...seems like there should be a better fee option.

Yes it's a PITA and costs a little $ but take care of it so there will be no disappointments. I only had my first passport one year when I got married and just to avoid the hassles discussed above, got a new one in my married name because: #1 the cruise was booked in my married name and #2 airline documents were in my married name.

Just to let you know, you must take your original marriage license, not a copy to the passport office and send it off with your paperwork. I was told, and it turned out to be true, that the name changes for passports go to a different office and division than first-time passports hence a shorter wait period. I had my new passport, original marriage lic and old passport, with holes punched throughout it, all back within 2 weeks.

It costs money to do the name change but in the long run will save you either a missed cruise or a lot of headache. If it's really a money issue, skip an excursion, a night or two at a speciality restaurant , a date night or fill in the blank______ and just get it over with. You're going to need it in the future anyway. IMHO, it's just the responsible thing to do.

But in the US she wouldn't be using her passport would she?

Cole

People do. I have a coworker who, while a US citizen now, was previously a foreign national. Whenever she is going to work at a US government or military installation, she brings her passport just to prove she is a US citizen. She has used it to check in for flights and clear security instead of her DL. Also, some people have their DL's revoked for various reasons, and use a passport for anything from flying to proving their age at a bar.

So, there are definitely people who use their passport as a valid form of ID on domestic flights.