Chops Red Velvet Cake

joekatie

Tell me it is not true....Just read on the dessert thread that the red velvet cake is no longer going to be offered in Chops? We booked it for our cruise in April and that was what I was looking forward to most! Anyone else heard this or was this bad information?

Wow, for Christmas every year my mom made one and now my wife has taken over. It. Is hard to beat theirs, was looking forward to comparing. I should tell my wife she needs a new career if you can sell one for 90 bucks. I higghly doubt RCI pays anywhere close to that if they buy in bulk. They do not make from scratch on the ship?

Sent from my XT897 using Forums mobile app

We just had it on Liberty in December and Oasis on the Jan 11 sailing however I don't know if they changed receipes or where they buy it from but it was very disappointing. It used to be really, really good and the past 2 cruises is been just ok.

Edited by cruisinck

No, nor do they make all of the special "special" sweets you can buy pre-cruise. Also, they only buy so much of the deserts like those and they have been known (on occasion) to run out late in the week if the onboard restaurants are seeing more visits than they anticipated.

The Chops waiters will confirm that certain desserts are not made on the ship (if you ask, I did). I don't think this is the case with Portifino based on the desserts they offer.

As someone else said, they do probably get a discount but even so since it isn't made on the ship the cost has to be significantly more than those that are.

Wow, for Christmas every year my mom made one and now my wife has taken over. It. Is hard to beat theirs, was looking forward to comparing. I should tell my wife she needs a new career if you can sell one for 90 bucks. I higghly doubt RCI pays anywhere close to that if they buy in bulk. They do not make from scratch on the ship?

Sent from my XT897 using Forums mobile app

Edited by JasonV1

Had the RVC last night on Serenade. We will be back in Chops Wednesday and will ask if it is being phased out.

I reported last year that the icing donuts were being discontinued and several people reported that that was not true because they were still on the ships that they had just sailed. Find them now! The donuts were factory made and stored in the freezer - cost and storage space. The replacement eclairs are freshly made in the bakery every day and reduce costs substantially.

The same fate my be in store for the RVC. I'm sure RCCL will put a positive spin on it by claiming the are improving the desert selections.

Edited by Tagsalong

Could be a cost cutting move, that cake costs $5 a slice (they buy it from here).

If they stop, they'll have to offer something of course. Hopefully it will be just as good.

I highly doubt they are paying $5 a slice for it. IF that is actually where it comes from, I'm sure they have negotiated a MUCH better price than that.

Menus change. Some things come, some things go. Frankly, I wish RCI would do it more often. I'm sure they'll having something else tempting in it's place.

We just had it on Liberty in December and Oasis on the Jan 11 sailing however I don't know if they changed receipes or where they buy it from but it was very disappointing. It used to be really, really good and the past 2 cruises is been just ok.

We felt the same on our December Legend cruise. The RVC was good, just not as good as in the past. Believe me, I'm a pro when it comes to Chops RVC ;) and that one was just different.

I know some of the baked goods from gifts and gear come from sweet street, I've seen the logo on the cupcake boxes. It really caught my eye when I saw it as I often eat lunch at sweet street. They have a nice little cafe.

Edited by CruiseKeeper

Our first visit to Chops was this past week on the Serenade. I love Red Velvet so I knew that is what I would order for desert. The waiter seemed hesitant and I later knew why. It was very disappointing. He came back later and brought me their creme brulee which was good, but not what I was looking for. The mud pie my husband ordered was quite good.

I wonder now if maybe this was from somewhere else, because it sure didn't live up to the hype. It didn't even look the same.

My wife and I just had conversation with the pastry chef on our cruise a few weeks ago. Cakes and other deserts including the red velvet are now all being made from scratch on the ship. He said they used to buy onshore but not any more

Cakes and other deserts including the red velvet are now all being made from scratch on the ship. He said they used to buy onshore but not any more

Hmm, well there is the explanation for the subpar RVC now!

Hmm, well there is the explanation for the subpar RVC now!

I had noticed a difference in taste, I still thought it was good, so I asked the chef about it and that's what he said. Might not apply to all ships/voyages yet.

Did not ask if it was fleet wide, I should have. I also fully expect that new people are being trained for this

Edited by setsail

I had noticed a difference in taste, I still thought it was good, so I asked the chef about it and that's what he said. Might not apply to all ships/voyages yet.

Did not ask if it was fleet wide, I should have. I also fully expect that new people are being trained for this

That explains it. Even our friends that we ate at Chops with us that are also experienced Chops diners found our most recent red velvet cake not as it was in the past. Bummer.

Edited by CruiseKeeper

There was no Red Velvet Cake on the Legend in January.

The restaurant manager of Chops told me they are phasing it out on all the ships in RCL fleet

I have been pondering this all day and I have come to the conclusion that this does not bother me one bit!

Guess I will need to try it one more time when I go on the Indy in March. Of course if it's still available.

Btw I'm boarding the Carnival Sunshine this coming Sunday and read that they have Blue Velvet Cake. Definitely I'm going to try that one as well.

Noooooooo!

I just saw a picture for the first time last week of it and it was such a lovely deep red. I have a booking at Chops on 4 Feb on my very first cruise and was so looking forward to it. Oh well, at least if it's not on the menu there's still that delicious looking chocolate cake.