so many flights cancelled who misses their cruise?

windsor26

Just heard on the news that thousands of flights have been cancelled throughout USA

I hope it will not impinge on many cruises at this time of year for anyone ?

Edited by windsor26

This type of thing is not uncommon at this time of year, which is why you constantly see advice here recommending people make their travel plans at least a day early. It doesn't guarantee you won't have problems, but it makes people a lot less likely to end up missing the ship if they do run into those problems.

We're in Michigan - we are flying out tomorrow two days early (we've been through this dance before) to Houston. If it's too bad we will rent a car and drive down - I'm not missing my cruise!

Good thinking...

We're in Vermont and plan to fly down to FLL Saturday for embarkation on Tuesday. If there are weather problems, we've left ourselves plenty of time to drive. With the way our winter weather has been this year you really need to have a plan if planes don't fly.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

We live in MA and will be flying to Hawaii on Friday morning. Our cruise begins on Wednesday.

Travel during winter is always a high anxiety issue - these winter storms seem to pop up without much warning. When I checked Logan arrivals and departures this morning, it seems the airport is starting to get on track with flights. I know when our plane arrives in BOS the night before, so as long as it's at the gate by midnight, I feel a bit more confident that we'll leave on time very early Friday morning. We connect at DFW, so once on that flight, I'll feel relaxed knowing we can pack in all the pre-cruise stuff long before we board the Ocean Princess.

Guess it's time to head outside and clear the driveway. Today, it's the cold.

Darcy

We're in Michigan - we are flying out tomorrow two days early (we've been through this dance before) to Houston. If it's too bad we will rent a car and drive down - I'm not missing my cruise!

If you're on the Caribbean Princess, join our Roll Call! We have a great group going :)

We almost always fly down the day before (from Raleigh, NC). It can be beautiful weather where we are, but our plane can be stuck somewhere up north. That happened to us one time before a cruise on a Celebrity ship. Fortunately our flight was delayed just a few hours. If it had been canceled totally, we had the option of getting in our car and driving overnight down to Fort Lauderdale.

Just got home from our cruise. We were scheduled to fly from Ottawa to Chicago to Fort Lauderdale during the terrible cold back in Jan.7/14 (Tuesday). Our cruise was to depart the following day.

I woke up on Sunday Morning and noted the flights for that day and on Monday were all canceled. Then I decided my nerves could not take any more, so I called and got the last 2 seats on a flight direct from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale onthe Monday (a day earlier than planned).

We made it to Fort Lauderdale and woke up on the Tuesday we were supposed to fly down and sure enough the original flight was canceled out ot Ottawa.

THE BEST 800 extra dollars I have ever spent.

I know how you all feel, and wish you all the luck in getting safe travel to your vacation.

The good thing about booking B2B2B 4 and 5 day cruises is that we'll get at least 2 of them even if we are delayed. We do fly in a day early, but last year we landed with only an hour untill latest embarkation time due to multiple flight delays.

We've done the same thing from New York. There was a winter with snow in 48 states that year and flights everywhere were grounded. We had two hours to make the decision to drive, so we put all the leftovers in a cooler and drove down to Fort Lauderdale leaving little time to stop for breaks. We weren't missing our cruise either!

Just got home from our cruise. We were scheduled to fly from Ottawa to Chicago to Fort Lauderdale during the terrible cold back in Jan.7/14 (Tuesday). Our cruise was to depart the following day.

I woke up on Sunday Morning and noted the flights for that day and on Monday were all canceled. Then I decided my nerves could not take any more, so I called and got the last 2 seats on a flight direct from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale onthe Monday (a day earlier than planned).

We made it to Fort Lauderdale and woke up on the Tuesday we were supposed to fly down and sure enough the original flight was canceled out ot Ottawa.

THE BEST 800 extra dollars I have ever spent.

I know how you all feel, and wish you all the luck in getting safe travel to your vacation.

Good change on your part! Whew! :)

I used to think that flying down a day early was an absolute necessity when doing your own air. Now, between extreme weather and airline reliability issues, I'm starting to think 2 days may become the new norm.

I agree. We actually plan on flying 4 to 5 days before the cruise sail dates...makes exploring a lot less stressful.

We have played with the weather as well for some of our cruises. A few years ago, in the summer, a hurricane blew threw the state of Florida, closing the entire state down of all air travel for almost a full day. We sat in the Atlanta airport waiting to see if we would get on a flight to FLL. Sat next to a family of 4 who had saved all their money for a 4 day with another line - DID NOT BUY INSURANCE. I watched their dreams go up in hurricane as they did not make their flight. We got on the last flight that made it to FLL in time to make the ship. We were on a Princess bus with about 15 others who had just made it, the crew were waiting to give us our cards and get our check in info. When our feet hit the ship, the gangway was up and we were off!

We now fly in at least a day ahead! And we still alway get insurance!

I too have been thinking of all those who might be traveling. Hope their plans and dreams come true!

Good thinking...

We're in Vermont and plan to fly down to FLL Saturday for embarkation on Tuesday. If there are weather problems, we've left ourselves plenty of time to drive. With the way our winter weather has been this year you really need to have a plan if planes don't fly.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

Are you doing your cruise and long Dis trip?

Have fun and safe travels.

I leave today a month for my quick trip:D

Are you doing your cruise and long Dis trip?

Have fun and safe travels.

I leave today a month for my quick trip:D

Hi Julia…

Yes, we'll be on the Emerald for 20 days, then off to Old Key West from February 17th until March 20th. Can't wait to fly south. The cold this year has been way too much.

Enjoy you trip…

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

Can someone explain how Princess Insurance works in this situation. Do I have to call Princess and actually cancel (under the cancel for any reason provision) before the cruise leaves or can I attempt to get there, but perhaps fail and still be compensated for the cruise fare under the Trip Interuption provision.

Last year I called Princess about this but they didn't understand and referred me to the Insurer, but the person on duty there late that night also didn't understand and went on at length about next port protection (I believe that only applies with EZair).

All I really want to know is if 'Cancel for any Reason' means I have to call to cancel at some point before the cruise begins.

A situation like that would be considered a travel delay rather than a cancellation, so you wouldn't need to cancel. It looks like you would need to have some sort of documentation of the flight delays/cancellations to make a claim though.

Edited by Vexorg