Walk from Blarney Castle & Woolen Mills ?

We have signed up for 1/2 day tour to Blarney Castle. We don't plan to kiss the Blarney Stone just want to see the gardens and shop. Our tour does go to the Woolen Mills at the end but wanted to spend more time there while everyone else was in the castle. Can you walk to the Woolen Mills from the castle ?

Edited by scrapycruiser

It is in walking distance.

We found the Woolen Mill had the best prices. There are about 4 floors.

we used http://www.ecoach.ie. for Cobh much cheaper than Princess tour. We met the coach a very short distance (around the corner) from the entrance of the port. Our coach left before Princess. The coach parks at the Woolen Mill parking lot and the people that wanted to see the castle walked over to it and the others went to the Woolen Mill. Entrance fee to the castle was not included, you need a ticket to view the grounds. The castle does not take credit cards, Woolen Mills has a ATM machine. Our tour included a stop at Kinsale for a lunch stop (lunch not included in the price). We ate at a fish and chip shop near where they dropped us off for the break. The driver told us about the sights we were passing. We stopped when we were back in Cobh for a picture stop at the St Colman's Cathedral. We had a full day tour with them.

You purchase your ticket directly through them for your date in port and print out your ticket and they will contact you before the date with further instructions. If your sail date is not there contact them and they will add it to the list.

We had 4 coaches from our Roll Call with them. They were highly recommended on Cruise Critic.

Make sure you are on deck as the town has a band and the Titanic (ladies dressed up) for sail away.

Edited by phabric

I was on the same cruise as Phabric...Husband went to Blarney Castle...I shopped at Woolen Mill and the shopping is great...I had all my purchases shipped to my home and it arrived before me...luckily someone was getting our mail...next time I would suggest telling them not to ship immediately. The e-coach tour was very nice...Kinsale is nothing special(IMHO) but the fish and chips were great at Dinos...we were there on a Sunday.

My husband loved his time at Blarney Castle and the surroundings...

I was on the same cruise as Phabric...Husband went to Blarney Castle...I shopped at Woolen Mill and the shopping is great...I had all my purchases shipped to my home and it arrived before me...luckily someone was getting our mail...next time I would suggest telling them not to ship immediately. The e-coach tour was very nice...Kinsale is nothing special(IMHO) but the fish and chips were great at Dinos...we were there on a Sunday.

My husband loved his time at Blarney Castle and the surroundings...

Was there time to do both if you wanted to? I am not a big shopper and would like to see the castle. But, I am sure I would want to buy some of the woolen items as souvenirs.

This is a very large store...the line up and down from Blarney Castle can be very long...we were the first tour bus arriving so our group went directly to Blarney Castle...then my husband did some additional looking around...by the time he got to the shopping area it was nearly time to re-board the bus. Now, if your bus arrives first or even second or third you would have some small time for shopping...not if you were truly looking to purchase special gifts but just for souvenir type things...I did purchase woolen things and the vast array of those things will take some time for looking and choosing. I did not do the castle as the 100 steps up and then 100 back down was out of my comfort zone...it is one way and no turning back...let alone the bending over to do the kissing...several people came down with scratches to their foreheads. I do have to say that I did no other shopping of a major kind after that stop.

. . . I did not do the castle as the 100 steps up and then 100 back down was out of my comfort zone...it is one way and no turning back...let alone the bending over to do the kissing...several people came down with scratches to their foreheads. I do have to say that I did no other shopping of a major kind after that stop.

I never knew how you kissed the stone. I just looked at this on the web site. I do not think I want to do that anyway. but, we would like to walk around the castle and grounds. [ I will have to miss being eloquent :p ]

my husband, not one lick Irish...accomplished this and kissed me when he returned...I'm counting that...I've never lacked the gift of gab...My husband really liked the grounds and did not shop after his visit to kiss the stone...he did say it is very quickly done and no dawdling at the top...

We have signed up for 1/2 day tour to Blarney Castle. We don't plan to kiss the Blarney Stone just want to see the gardens and shop. Our tour does go to the Woolen Mills at the end but wanted to spend more time there while everyone else was in the castle. Can you walk to the Woolen Mills from the castle ?

Yes, when I was there years ago it was a short walk from the castle to the woolen mills

Judy

• 2 months later...

I was at the woolen mills last Sept. It's a very large "shop". Just seeing all the items & then deciding can take a LOT of time!

Also, check the labels -- not all the items (esp. scarves) are Irish-made.

The lines are very long usually and slow moving to kiss the Blarney Stone, but it is well worth it to be able to say you did! The scenery from the top of the tower is so beautiful! The Woolen Mills is right down the hill and has lots to offer(loved it). They are so nice and helpful in the mills and they offer to ship your purchases home when you spend(I believe)it was 100 euros in purchases. I loved not having to worry about lugging all my purchases home and going through customs with them.

the packages were at our home when we returned and the store has a set amount you need to spend to receive the free shipping...you will have no trouble meeting the minimum requirement if you plan to do most of your shopping there....we did and it all arrived safely.

• 4 weeks later...