Room Inspection

jolson56

When we have used them, we keep them out of sight. I would be more than upset if they went through drawers and closets looking for them. :mad:

Leaving them out in the room is only asking for trouble IMHO. I would be curious to know if they were out in the open.

They were in a draw.

When we have used them, we keep them out of sight. I would be more than upset if they went through drawers and closets looking for them. :mad:

Leaving them out in the room is only asking for trouble IMHO. I would be curious to know if they were out in the open.

Wrong is wrong, if you know, which you do, that it is against RCL rules and policies, have zero sympathy for anyone that gets caught. As far as checking your room "thoroughly" being "more than upset" wouldn't bother me, I have nothing to hide....:)

Just a few thoughts on this. Don't we pretty much sign our rights away when we go on a cruise ship? The room is theirs and it's my understanding that they can enter whenever they want.

Also, when signing up for Meet and Mingles you have to give your CC username do you not? If you talked about anything dodgy on the forums they'd know it and I would think that you might be flagged. I do believe that all the cruise lines monitor this site.

I could be wrong.

I doubt they can just go through your things without having a valid reason, just like I don't think they can inspect your room without having a valid reason to. If I catch them in my room, they better be making the bed or making a towel animal.

Does anyone know if random inspections is in the contract that is signed prior to boarding?

The cruise ship is not a government entity, therefore is not held to Constitutional law wrt room inspections. A Reasonable Expectation of Privacy does not exist. They absolutely can enter your room at any time for this reason.

That said, I don't think it is prudent practice for them. In fact, I do a lot of work with cruise lines and I'm not aware of any major line doing this as a matter of regular practice. I'm curious if this was a case of the bar staff who inspect the mini-fridge finding the rum runners and being zealous about it.

Edited by Aquahound

I have nothing to hide, as I don't try to smuggle anything that is prohibited. I think I would be a little upset to find that my cabin and personal belongings had been rummaged through without my knowledge or in my presence.

Ditto. If I had contraband and left it out, that's one thing. It is another thing to have security physically rummage though out of site items without me present. Not liking that idea.

Ditto. If I had contraband and left it out, that's one thing. It is another thing to have security physically rummage though out of site items without me present. Not liking that idea.

Agreed. I don't bring anything that isn't allowed, but going through drawers without us there is very creepy.

Do not imagine they will be giving their room steward the WOW card!

Guess they have to have stock for the "crew" party from somewhere (haha).

Their rules - we have signed that we agree to abide by them!

If not their room steward that turned them in, could have been an ajoining cabin - perhaps they were a little too in the party mood do to too much rum!(or whatever).

We've had housekeeping supervisors inspect our room to see if it is being maintained properly several times.

Once the Hotel Director inspected our room. He said he did about 10 - 15 a day to be sure the rooms are in good order and that the guests are happy with the cabin and the room steward. He also asked if there was anything they could do better. He opened the closet doors but not the drawers or any other doors. The next day our room steward told us they would be doing some touch up painting in the bathroom and would be painting our balcony on the next port day.

Another time we had the Captain check our room. He said it was his ship and he wanted to be sure everything was in good shape. He didn't look in the drawers but gave the cabin and balcony a thorough going over. He spent about 10 minutes checking various things in the room and asked if we were satisfied.

I am pleased that RC employees care enough to check on the cabins.

Posters are understandably not empathetic toward a cruiser who gets caught with something they shouldn't have brought onboard and then loses it. And, I also understand that the cruise line reserves the right to enter the stateroom for many reasons: cleaning, maintenance, security, etc. And, like at the airport, your luggage is put through a screener at the port. But, I do think the cruise lines needs to be careful as to how far they go in exercising whatever rights they may have to enter a stateroom for the express purpose of conducting a random search for contraband. Most might not care about a drawer being opened/closed as was apparently the case here, especially if the rum rummer was sitting on top. (I don't know if that was the case here or not). But, what if the ship staff started taking all of your clothes out of the drawer, unzipping your toiletry bag, opened up your bottle of Listerine to very if it is mouthwash, and rummaged through a book bag you packed with games? What if they opened your safe? And what if you weren't present when this random search happened? It raises interesting questions and concerns that I doubt would be alleviated simply because the cruiser has nothing to hide because he/she didn't bring any banned items onboard.

Edited by elephant98

But, I do think the cruise lines needs to be careful as to how far they go in exercising whatever rights they may have to enter a stateroom for the express purpose of conducting a random search for contraband. Most might not care about a drawer being opened/closed as was apparently the case here, especially if the rum rummer was sitting on top. (I don't know if that was the case here or not). But, what if the ship staff started taking all of your clothes out of the drawer, unzipping your toiletry bag, opened up your bottle of Listerine to very if it is mouthwash, and rummaged through a book bag you packed with games? What if they opened your safe? And what if you weren't present when this random search happened? It raises interesting questions and concerns that I doubt would be alleviated simply because the cruiser has nothing to hide because he/she didn't bring any banned items onboard.

I would be very, VERY, surprised if this is actually happening. Like I said earlier, I truly believe these rum runners were found in plain view while the staff was in the room for another reason. It wouldn't be a very good business practice to randomly enter rooms and search the guests' personal belongings. I just can't believe that's what happened.

I agree

I don't think they are going thru drawers or even closets I think they were left in plain site

Its not like the Skipper is going thru making sure the dungarees are folded properly ;)

Posters are understandably not empathetic toward a cruiser who gets caught with something they shouldn't have brought onboard and then loses it. And, I also understand that the cruise line reserves the right to enter the stateroom for many reasons: cleaning, maintenance, security, etc. And, like at the airport, your luggage is put through a screener at the port. But, I do think the cruise lines needs to be careful as to how far they go in exercising whatever rights they may have to enter a stateroom for the express purpose of conducting a random search for contraband. Most might not care about a drawer being opened/closed as was apparently the case here, especially if the rum rummer was sitting on top. (I don't know if that was the case here or not). But, what if the ship staff started taking all of your clothes out of the drawer, unzipping your toiletry bag, opened up your bottle of Listerine to very if it is mouthwash, and rummaged through a book bag you packed with games? What if they opened your safe? And what if you weren't present when this random search happened? It raises interesting questions and concerns that I doubt would be alleviated simply because the cruiser has nothing to hide because he/she didn't bring any banned items onboard.

Just like cops need probable cause I'm sure RC needs probable cause to go through your room and if they do find something, then just like cops they can search your entire room. Don't bring anything on board that you shouldn't have and there shouldn't be a problem. I've been on 8 cruises and I've never had a problem because I follow the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That said, I don't think it is prudent practice for them. In fact, I do a lot of work with cruise lines and I'm not aware of any major line doing this as a matter of regular practice. I'm curious if this was a case of the bar staff who inspect the mini-fridge finding the rum runners and being zealous about it.

I agree. I don't "smuggle" anything but I'm not keen as a paying customer on having cruise staff rifling through my drawers. If I knew a line was doing that as a matter of policy it would make me less likely to sail that line. That's just my opinion.

That said, I have absolutely no issue with housekeeping supervisors, the Hotel Director or whomever doing a quick sweep through to ensure that the room steward is doing an adequate job cleaning my room. I think checking a random sample of rooms in that manner every day is good practice and quality control. Big difference between that and rifling through my drawers and clothes.

Just like cops need probable cause I'm sure RC needs probable cause to go through your room and if they do find something, then just like cops they can search your entire room. Don't bring anything on board that you shouldn't have and there shouldn't be a problem. I've been on 8 cruises and I've never had a problem because I follow the rules.

They need no such cause, they are not the government. However, as others have stated, I highly doubt the cruise line makes a practice of randomly searching guest rooms for contraband. It's bad business. If they receive a tip on the other hand I'm sure they would have no issue with going in for a look as is their prerogative.

In the safe?

Well, without specifically referring to rumrunners (or other contraband), when I have something that I need to secure, but will not fit in the safe -- locking it in my suitcase under the bed works well. I also know that if the Captain, or his agent (eg: security) wants to see what is in my suitcase (or safe) I will happily open it for them. :cool:

I've had 2 types of cabin inspections. The first type was the standard supervisor cabin check. The supervisor carried a clipboard and check off items in the bathroom, cabin, and balcony. None of the closets, draws, or bags placed on the couch were opened and/or moved. The second type of inspection was the random US Customs cabin inspection. This was more thorough with all bags, draws, closets, and even the safe inspected. (The bonus here was that my wife & I were able to bypass customs in port and walk right out...) I guess the moral of the story here is that IF one is going to break rules/regulations, one should be prepared for the consequences.....

They need no such cause, they are not the government. However, as others have stated, I highly doubt the cruise line makes a practice of randomly searching guest rooms for contraband. It's bad business. If they receive a tip on the other hand I'm sure they would have no issue with going in for a look as is their prerogative.

Exactly, like I said they need some probable CAUSE to start searching your room. The maid cleaning your room and sees something that looks like contraband is enough info for them to search your room and if they find contraband, then that gives them the right to search everywhere in your room. Contract is broken which meNs you have no rights once YOU break the contract.

Sorry, but you are wrong in that assumption.

I'm right! Once you break the RC contract and you bring on contraband, they can search your entire room whether you like it or not if they have probable cause first. You give up your privacy over some rum runner bags! Hope it's worth it.

Sorry, but you are wrong in that assumption.

How do they know you don't have any more contraband unless they search your entire room? Oh yea they're going to believe you when you say you have none left. Good luck with that and tell me how it goes. Lol