no 14 day Alaska must do 7 day b2b

vickie_bernie

I just noticed that Princess is not selling their Alaskan cruises as 14 days from Vancouver anymore. The only option is 7 days back to back. Now we have usually booked this as two 7 days, but last year we booked as a 14 days cause the price was better and the stock credit was $250 for 14 days instead of two $100 credits.

Any thoughts?

I booked the Coral for a back to back out of Vancouver with the original 3 for free promotion. It was better than doing it as a 14 day.

Free Specialty dining (twice x $25/per person)

Free $50 toward an excursion (twice x $50/per person) and refundable

Free upgrade to available similar categories (didn't do this because I wanted a specific cabin)

I also did this because I didn't want to fly out of Whittier/Anchorage.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I booked the Coral for a back to back out of Vancouver with the original 3 for free promotion. It was better than doing it as a 14 day.

Free Specialty dining (twice x $25/per person)

Free $50 toward an excursion (twice x $50/per person) and refundable

Free upgrade to available similar categories (didn't do this because I wanted a specific cabin)

I also did this because I didn't want to fly out of Whittier/Anchorage.

that is a great deal... I almost always get a better deal booking as a separate cruises, but last year it was better as a 14 day, price, future cruise credit, stock credit, and TA had a better on board credit for 14 days as oppose to on on board credit for two 7 days. Still got two mini bar set ups and two credits (after talking to captain circle host). Only got one loyalty credit though.

Each time we book we weigh out both options.

Enjoy your cruise

that is a great deal... I almost always get a better deal booking as a separate cruises, but last year it was better as a 14 day, price, future cruise credit, stock credit, and TA had a better on board credit for 14 days as oppose to on on board credit for two 7 days. Still got two mini bar set ups and two credits (after talking to captain circle host). Only got one loyalty credit though.

Each time we book we weigh out both options.

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks for the well wishes. This will be a good cruise since we are also taking the ship up from Los Angeles. That means 3 mini bars (coffee cards), lots of onboard credit, and my $25.00 for each cruise because I will start with cruise #21. Love Princess' Captain Circle. Unfortunately, Princess usually gets it all back with the slots or Facets.

Are we on the same voyages?

Edited by cr8tiv1

Thanks for the well wishes. This will be a good cruise since we are also taking the ship up from Los Angeles. That means 3 mini bars (coffee cards), lots of onboard credit, and my $25.00 for each cruise because I will start with cruise #21. Love Princess' Captain Circle. Unfortunately, Princess usually gets it all back with the slots or Facets.

Are we on the same voyages?

We were not allowed to book last year from a US Port to a Canadian, then from the Canadian port to a different US port on the same ship and the next cruise as we were told it violated the PSA.

Hope it works out for you.

We were not allowed to book last year from a US Port to a Canadian, then from the Canadian port to a different US port on the same ship and the next cruise as we were told it violated the PSA.

It sounds like they are going Los Angeles --> Vancouver --> Whittier --> Vancouver, so no PVSA violation at all. They are essentially going Los Angeles --> Vancouver.

Yes, we tried, unsuccessfully, last year. It is LA to Vancouver to Whittier to Vancouver. That is why we have 3. This combination will work.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Last year we booked 2 x 14 day back to back Alaska cruises on Diamond, $449 each for an inside, plus $200 in taxes of which we received a few $$$ back once on board as an overpayment.

And we're hoping that something similar might turn up this year.

I got a great deal on a 14 day cruise on the Coral last year. I was surprised to see that they chose not to offer that option this year.

The reason you got such a great deal last year is supply and demand. All the mass market lines have learned the hard way that they cannot fill a ship on a 14-day Alaska trip unless they give it away.

But when they give it away, they lose twice; first they lose big money on the cruise itself, then they lose bigger money because cruisers on a 14-day Alaska cruise spend almost the same amount of money onboard as those on a 7-day Alaska cruise.

Offering 2 x 7-day Alaska cruises on the same ship results in higher average fares and much higher onboard spending. That allows the cruise line to be a for profit business rather than a charity. Then the company's stockholders are much happier about their investments.

It sounds like they are going Los Angeles --> Vancouver --> Whittier --> Vancouver, so no PVSA violation at all. They are essentially going Los Angeles --> Vancouver.

The one we were refused was NYC to Quebec City, then on the same ship back the same day from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale

So essentially it was regarded as NYC to Ft Lauderdale.

Pain in the *** because it was 4 planes, long layovers and expensive to get to Quebec City by air. Cost as much as the cruise would have, without the pleasure.

I could see that they may not be able to sell those two cruises as a combined trip but am very surprised that you can't book it as two seperate trips. Maybe they make you get off and go through customs in Canada before boarding the next cruise back home.

Those 14 day Vancouver Alaska Vancouver were incredible bargains last year. We did 14 days on Island Princess last June. $750 obstructed OV for 14 days and we landed in a regular OV room. Taxes were less on the combined tip as well. I think it was $205 each rather than about $260 each to do two 7 day cruises.

We are on a b2b2b starting April 1. Part 2 and 3 were available as a combined trip with taxes being about $50 each less in octal but the cruise itself was and still is more expensive than booking it seperately. I was unsuccessful at getting tem to add the individual trips together and call it the combined trip to get the lower taxes.

I am curious about the lower taxes because if there is something tat truely makes it less on a combined trip such as maybe less fees for customs services then they could offer slightly reduced taxes to anyone booking b2b cruises as an additional perk.

Terry

I just noticed that Princess is not selling their Alaskan cruises as 14 days from Vancouver anymore. The only option is 7 days back to back. Now we have usually booked this as two 7 days, but last year we booked as a 14 days cause the price was better and the stock credit was $250 for 14 days instead of two $100 credits.

Any thoughts?

On the other side of the coin, your mini-bar, should you have one, will get restocked, and, if you do a tour in Whittier you may get a better rate as Princess will not have the tour providers tied up.:)

john

I could see that they may not be able to sell those two cruises as a combined trip but am very surprised that you can't book it as two seperate trips. Maybe they make you get off and go through customs in Canada before boarding the next cruise back home.

Sometimes you are able to book them that way, but almost every single time someone at Princess will catch the booking error and will contact you (or your TA) to pick which one you no longer want.

The reason you got such a great deal last year is supply and demand. All the mass market lines have learned the hard way that they cannot fill a ship on a 14-day Alaska trip unless they give it away.

If it is a 14 day also sold as two segments, they can simply change the inventory to have less 14 day cabins and more individual segment cabins.

But is still is supply and demand as there were too many cruise ships last year doing Alaska chasing too few passengers who wanted to go there.

Overall, there will be less cruise ships doing Alaska in 2014 compared to 2013 so it is likely there will be fewer bargains this summer.

Must admit I didn't count the ships plying Alaskan waters last year but this year, just in the US mass market lines, there seem to be at least 25 ships vying for passengers, with the most numerous contenders being Holland A. with 7 ships, Princess with 7 and NCL with 4. Celebrity have 3 with one being the Solstice and Royal C. have 2. Disney and Carnival just one each.

Last year there was

from Vancouver doing 7 up and 7 days down, Diamond, Sapphire, Island, Coral

from seattle doing 7 days roundtrip Grand and Golden

from San Francisco I believe it was the Star Princess

from my memory

This coming year the Sapphire and Diamond are gone but they are replaced by the Crown (bigger) and the Pacific (smaller)

So I think it is around the same number of people give or take a few

Someone stated that they haven't posted the 14 days yet perhaps they will later. I have always seen the 14 days as soon as the bookings open.

Prices for the May sailing are about what they were last year when I looked at this time. Not sure how full the ships are or if they price will come down more. Last year we got a great deal on the 14 day in an Ocean view on the Diamond.

Not sure if we will do again this year but we like the option to jump on a ship from home and get away for a relaxing holiday.

Thanks everyone for your comments

Someone stated that they haven't posted the 14 days yet perhaps they will later. I have always seen the 14 days as soon as the bookings open.

Prices for the May sailing are about what they were last year when I looked at this time. Not sure how full the ships are or if they price will come down more. Last year we got a great deal on the 14 day in an Ocean view on the Diamond.

Vicki - having done 4 B2Bs in Alaska, I have not seen them right when they open. I usually see them in April time frame. I was looking for them at final payment 2 years ago and they did not appear until after.

Same thing happened to us , not able to do that booking , tried 5 ways to sunday , no luck . HOpe it works for you. We ended up staying in Vancouver for 4 days then getting another cruise down the coast to LA .

Cori

Last year I believe they first offered them as 14 day cruises early in the spring. There was a brief period of time they offered the 14 day bookings including prepaid gratuities and onboard credit from Princess, and we booked a 14 day in early July. There seem to be less ships totally doing Alaska this year, so not sure such great deals will be available, but I, for one, am waiting to see what spring brings.

Last year I believe they first offered them as 14 day cruises early in the spring. There was a brief period of time they offered the 14 day bookings including prepaid gratuities and onboard credit from Princess, and we booked a 14 day in early July. There seem to be less ships totally doing Alaska this year, so not sure such great deals will be available, but I, for one, am waiting to see what spring brings.

There are actually the same amount of Princess Ships, Sapphire and Diamond are gone but are replaced by pacific and Crown. The Grand/Golden/Star/Island/Coral are all back too doing Alaska.

Not sure if when consider all ships and all lines if there are less, not sure.

There are actually the same amount of Princess Ships, Sapphire and Diamond are gone but are replaced by pacific and Crown. The Grand/Golden/Star/Island/Coral are all back too doing Alaska.

Not sure if when consider all ships and all lines if there are less, not sure.

There are less berths in Alaska on Princess this summer. One less ship doing one ways and the Crown only adds 500 more passengers, so 2000 less berths doing the one ways each week. The Pacific doesn't come close to replacing a Sapphire or Diamond Princess.

Edited by CaribbeanIsland