WiFi on Eclipse

Beeds

Can you connect Android devices (phones, Nook, etc.) to WiFi on Eclipse? Last year on Equinox, the staff in the computer lounge said instructions were only available for iphones, ipads & Apple computers. Also, can I use my laptop in my stateroom?

It does depend where your stateroom is; we had a corner FV on Infinity TA and the connection was dire.

We were on Eclipse (March '13) and I cannot remember it being as bad, but it was much slower connecting than it was at home. I was using an iPad. I had turned off 'roaming' on my phone, as I didn't want to pay the high rates that my supplier charges.

I've had no trouble using my Android phone on any ship we've been on. In fact I don't understand how they could say the instructions are only for iphones, you sign up for a wifi package and log in using a username and password - the type of phone you use shouldn't make any difference as long as you can pick up the ship's wifi signal.

I would interpret what they said as 'I only know how to do it on an iphone' :rolleyes:

Can you connect Android devices (phones, Nook, etc.) to WiFi on Eclipse? Last year on Equinox, the staff in the computer lounge said instructions were only available for iphones, ipads & Apple computers. Also, can I use my laptop in my stateroom?

We connected our laptop and iPad to the Eclipse's wifi signal last summer. It was slow! Had reception in some areas of our suite located in the hump. :)

Since we are iOS users! and very knowledgeable about them. I had to go to the I lounge and get some help. On a IOS device you have to download a local app called Internet cafe, and establish a PW and user name. You use this app to log on and OFF, note off, if you do not the minutes do not shut off.

If using elite free minutes, each person must establish their account. And you must take a piece of paper to the I lounge and they will activate your minutes. Also ther were some problems for me, that I did not set up my user name correctly. Many had issues with it, as well.

This was embarrising for me a, Mac guy LOL

All this was recalled from a fuzzy memoriy, so maybe a little off.

They probably refer to iPhone or IOS devices! because they are a official dealer.

Since we are iOS users! and very knowledgeable about them. I had to go to the I lounge and get some help. On a IOS device you have to download a local app called Internet cafe, and establish a PW and user name. You use this app to log on and OFF, note off, if you do not the minutes do not shut off.

If using elite free minutes, each person must establish their account. And you must take a piece of paper to the I lounge and they will activate your minutes. Also ther were some problems for me, that I did not set up my user name correctly. Many had issues with it, as well.

This was embarrising for me a, Mac guy LOL

All this was recalled from a fuzzy memoriy, so maybe a little off.

They probably refer to iPhone or IOS devices! because they are a official dealer.

The wi fi on the Eclipse was upgraded in November 2012 and generally works fine. It is usually better on balconies than in rooms. We have been in rooms on 10th and 11th floor, once at the back of the ship in a corner sky suite and we were always able to get connected.

What they actually do is set up a shortcut to the Celebrity log on page in your menu bar. Get them to set this up on your phone as well then you can access on both devices. We often share a package getting one of the bigger packages. All you need to do is log into the same account.

The connection was good enough for me to download the sunday times with all the different supplements and the Times each day.

Gordon

On Celebrity you simply stop into the internet room and create your account and logon on any of the ship's computers. At that point you can logon (using Wifi) with nearly any device almost anywhere on the ship. However, those of you who want to stay connected might want to consider that if your phone/device is using a mode that always scans the web for upgrades, messages, etc... you are paying a lot of money :). You can easily rack-up over $700 a day (yes that is seven hundred dollars) if you are not careful how you set-up your phone/device.

Hank